What gimmicks would you like for the Destroids?

drifand

I really like JsArclight's ideas, especially the small support vehicles. Are there any pictures or episode references for this:
have the Defender split in half at the torso and attach to his base like the "turret Defender" you see every now and then in Macross TV

They appear in fleeting glances in several episodes, mainly the ones when the Macross is getting close to landing on earth. My guess was that they took damaged Defender Destroids and mounted what was important on them (from the waist up) onto the hull of the Macross to replace damaged or destroyed gun turrets. I remember thinking "wow, that's actually a good idea" when I saw it way back when.

Definitely full articulation, opening missile hatches, coskpits and all that jazz... I also like the support vehicle idea. Each one could have something that makes sense for its role, i.e. the Phalanx could have a missile-carrying truck with a little crane for reloading, just like the US Army MLRS it emulates... And the Tomahawk could come packaged with a 6-wheel armored scout to spot and aquire targets for destruction.

I want mine to come with fully functional fusion reactors so that I don't have to pay the electric companies anymore, and I could power my entire block when the power grids just so happen to go offline every decade.

Hey, if imode's comes with that, can mine come with Jennifer Connelly and Tera Patrick?.....please :rolleyes:

I also hope the Destroid Monster will have a detailed cockpit with space for three pilots. Maybe Yamato will include three pilots with the Monster package, then make them interchangable with the other Destroid's. :ph34r:

Let's see...

Solid construction and good articulation are a must - but those aren't really gimmicks.

I'd like to see removable missiles - at the very least, each and every missile pod should be able to open/close. The support vehicle idea sounds really cool, too. Cockpits and pilots would also be nice. (but may be difficult to do - I don't remember exactly where the cockpits are on the Destroids, but they aren't that easy to replicate in a 1/60 scale toy/model, are they?)

Just to clarify a few points: -

1) The Monster is definitely confirmed, but we won't see it until the first quarter of next year. Yamato were not happy with some areas of the design and also the level of detail, so the Monster is currently undergoing a bit of a redesign and also having a 'detail-up' face lift. B)

2) Despite what some people have posted in the past on the old MW Forums, no other Destroids or enemy mecha besides the Q-Rau are confirmed at this time. Yamato are considering a lot of stuff, but no firm decision on whether to produce these items has been made yet. At the moment, it's a case of wait and see!

Graham

If Yamato made the new Macross Zero Destroid, I would like to see it with electrically powered rotating gatling gun barrels. Perhaps also a sound chip for the gun firing sound as well.

Graham

That would be awesome!

Are you just trying to up your post count?

I look at the toy forum, and every single post has Last Post by Commander McBride :o

Graham is right, you are a forum junky! :)

If this newest destroid has wheels, I wouldn't mind seeing it as one of those remote control laser tag type toys, or like those BB firing M1A1's from Tokyo-Marui.

If Yamato made the new Macross Zero Destroid, I would like to see it with electrically powered rotating gatling gun barrels. Perhaps also a sound chip for the gun firing sound as well.

Graham

That would be awesome!

Are you just trying to up your post count?

I look at the toy forum, and every single post has Last Post by Commander McBride :o

Graham is right, you are a forum junky! :)

If this newest destroid has wheels, I wouldn't mind seeing it as one of those remote control laser tag type toys, or like those BB firing M1A1's from Tokyo-Marui.

Lol. Well, I used to post a lot on gundam.com, but since it went down, I have trouble resisting the urge to post.

Besides, I signed on today and saw that Abombz!! was ahead of me, and I cant let that happen. :lol:

Also, I talk a lot in real life, and my posting comes form that. Plus, I have nothing better to do.

The other thing is that I come on late, so I reply to everything from the past day, but people are asleep, so I don't get replies.

Hey, and when did graham say I was a forum junky? are people talking behind my back? :lol:

Edited by Commander McBride

I´m only interested in two Destroids , the Spartan and the new M0 Destroid (it has wheels and rotable arms like the Konig , I just love that, what do you expect from me :lol: ). the main things have been pointed out already but it would be nice to have replaceable parts featuring damage , like a hanging arm with wires and things like that .

it would be nice to have replaceable parts featuring damage , like a hanging arm with wires and things like that .

That would be really cool. Great idea!!!!!!

Good the Monster´s been pushed back to the first quarter of 2004, it will leave some time for my wallet to recover. I´ll definitely be buying one :D

Besides, I signed on today and saw that Abombz!! was ahead of me, and I cant let that happen.  :lol:

BWAHAHAAH! i'm still there! *insert devil avatar*

As for features.... would affordable be considered a gimmick? :(

Sure, they can be affordable - as long as we drop the fusion drives, r/c circuits and Tera Patrick --- People, be REASONABLE!! :D

And it's certainly good to hear that the Monster is on the way... and in 2004. Gotta start saving now!

Besides, I signed on today and saw that Abombz!! was ahead of me, and I cant let that happen.  :lol:

As for features.... would affordable be considered a gimmick? :(

Sure, they can be affordable - as long as we drop the fusion drives, r/c circuits and Tera Patrick --- People, be REASONABLE!! :D

And it's certainly good to hear that the Monster is on the way... and in 2004. Gotta start saving now!

Tell that to yamato not us! :lol:

Not true! You are 10 down! :lol:

You can't be on 24 hours a day!! I can!! :lol:

That's where you're wrong! No Job, no School, no car. and on the rare occasions when I do go places, I have a Sidekick for wireless web. Plus, I function without sleep. I 4m t3h p0s7 r0b0t!

That's where you're wrong! No Job, no School, no car. and on the rare occasions when I do go places, I have a Sidekick for wireless web. Plus, I function without sleep. I 4m t3h p0s7 r0b0t!

BWAHAHAH! No job, no school, no friends, no car.... no life! :lol:

I don't even got 5 meters away from my PC! :p

BWAHAHAH! No job, no school, no friends, no car.... no life! :lol:

I don't even got 5 meters away from my PC! :p

Bah. I still win :lol:

And I'd be farther ahead if I wasn't sick, causing me to have to, uhh, leave my computer for extended periods of time..... :(

Edited by Commander McBride

Uh, hullo? Excuse me? The two of you are certainly having a good time, but could you spare a thought for those who would like to stay on topic in the various threads? There's a whole lifetime to chalk up post counts...

Life is too damn short if you ask me.

But anyways.... as for gimmicks... I want the Destroids to be made out of some decent material, and most important... I want them to be able to left standing on the shelf and not worry about them dropping down after every gust of wind. <_<

Hey, and when did graham say I was a forum junky? are people talking behind my back? :lol:

At least I didn't get tagged with that one LOL.

I do have a life... just not much of one :p

I would like to see 1/60 scale destroids that were based off the old taka 1/100 conversion kit. Besides having an exo-skelaton packaged with each "body", I find it quite fun to mix and match parts. Nothing looks quite like a raider x chassis with a tomahawk cannon on one side and a spartan missle bay on the other. Including some "damaged" parts that could be changed out would be cool to, like the gi joe rattler.

I still want glaug.

I would like to see 1/60 scale destroids that were based off the old taka 1/100 conversion kit. Besides having an exo-skelaton packaged with each "body", I find it quite fun to mix and match parts. Nothing looks quite like a raider x chassis with a tomahawk cannon on one side and a spartan missle bay on the other. Including some "damaged" parts that could be changed out would be cool to, like the gi joe rattler.

I think for the 1/60 line Yamato is probably going to get richer by not selling a conversion kit.. individual Tomahawks would probably sell a lot more that way.

For the 1/60, I will be satisfied with opening covers for the missile launchers and good detail; decent articulation and ability to hold pose should also be a must. Anything else may be tacky if executed wrongly and I rather Yamato concentrate on these first.

For the 1/48, if it comes out, the Conversion Kit idea is probably the best from a marketing point of view. Internal skeleton with removable parts to make all the Destriods with common leg structures. Again, opening missile covers and good/ great posability and articulation should be a must along with lots of details. I don't really like electronics in my toys so I can do without.

I still want glaug.
You and me buddy, you and me.

Hrm. If they go the Conversion Kit route, the Spartan probably gets the shaft again. It's not my favorite, but I'd still hate to see it get left out.

Back to the support vehicles idea. (Did any of the destroid models come with support vehicles?) For fun, let's see how big various support vehicles would be in 1/60:

XM7 FIST (Bradley variant, probably a good recon/spotter): 4-1/8" long by 2-3/8" wide by 2" high.

M548A3 Cargo Carrier (M113 variant, so I used M113 dimensions): 3-1/4" long by 1-3/4" wide by 1-1/2" high

M993 (ammunition carrier for MLRS rocket system): can't find data, but based on a lengthened Bradley hull

HMMWV (M998 Truck, the "Humvee"): depending on the variant, 3" long by 1-3/8" wide by 1-1/4" high

HEMTT (Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck): 6-5/8" long by 1-5/8" wide by 1-7/8" high

All calculations based on data from FAS and rounded to the nearest 1/8".

And for additional fun, an M1A2 Abrams at 1/60 would be 6-1/2" long by 2-3/8" wide by 1-5/8" high.

Incidentally, a tractor-trailer truck is about 60' long, so it would be about 1' long at 1/60.

In conclusion, support vehicles would be a pretty substantial addition. I think they'd look really nice, but they'd probably add at least $10 to the cost.

Edited by ewilen

• 2 weeks later...
I think a 1/60 Daedalus bow would be a little too big to be affordable, unless it's made out of cardboard. How many monsters fit into it during a Daedalus attack?

The answer is...three!

Maybe Yamato should offer to throw in a free Daedalus bow/ramp if you buy all the destroids in the picture.

post-4-1063209990_thumb.jpg

I think a 1/60 Daedalus bow would be a little too big to be affordable, unless it's made out of cardboard. How many monsters fit into it during a Daedalus attack?

The answer is...three!

Maybe Yamato should offer to throw in a free Daedalus bow/ramp if you buy all the destroids in the picture.

Hey, going OT a minute, wasn't there only 3 Monsters at the time of SDF-1's launch? There's six here on the Dae alone... how many were manufactured in total?

I assume they kept manufacturing destroids because enough of them were being blown up... that would explain the number of monsters going up.

s_i_t_h, IIRC, Cobywan has expressed interest in building those support vehicles, but in 1/48 scale. So If Yamato did release the destroids in 1/60th, it's still wouldn't be a match. Just thought you might like to know, though.