HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

I wonder if they plan on paying the artist who performed the songs? Knowing how cheap they are, probably not.

Wasn't someone at HG claiming that they didn't know who performed some of the "new" songs? I bet they didn't try very hard to find out, if they did uncover the artist it was probably thanks to the efforts of someone not employed by HG.

Edited by rtsurfer'

Yes, technically the only material never released on any album is the guitar solo, incorporated into the "complete" version with technology they didn't have available to them in 1985, and clips of the guy talking between tracks. The Sentinels/Movie Main Title was on the Robotech The Movie LP soundtrack.

Wasn't someone at HG claiming that they didn't know who performed some of the "new" songs? I bet they didn't try very hard to find out, if they did uncover the artist it was probably thanks to the efforts of someone not employed by HG.

That is true. The "play dumb" role seems to be a very easy role to play for them, as is the talking out their @$$ role. It's also the two roles their vocal mods play, as well as their lunatic fringe.

BTW, welcome aboard. Hope you take time to check out some of the other sections, and some of the pretty pictures around.

Edited by Jasonc

So many cheap shots at HG in here it's like going to Hooters during happy hour. Any one want to speak on their defense?

It single handedly brought anime to the West! Screw Starblazers and Voltron, it was all Robotech baby! Carl Macek was a visionary who made Japanese works actually work in America. The originals were garbage without his expertise. It deserves so much more respect and free passes even if it takes decades to finish the story! At least seven years is the normal wait time to make a Hollywood adaptation, just look at Transformers, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. The LAM is still in production even without a director, actors, and permanent staff coming and going all the time. That's how Hollywood works, believe me. We only enjoy Macross and anime because of Robotech, you elitists! We Will Win should've won an Emmy! And God, Robotech Love Live Alive, Tommy Yune has done it again! Animation work for Robotech productions are done in house! Parmount quaking in their boots! Anatole Leonard was a hero not a fascist! Boats in China! Mystery Box! Not minding the store! Gangbusters! Convention Tours! "Aliens!" NO GUTS NO GLORY!

Is it considered cheap shots if most of it is true?

Agreed, it's not a cheap shot if it's truth. I'm just sayin'. I wonder how many RT fans are freaking out that rtsurfer posted in here. Start the podcasts! Big news in Robotech has just occurred! Suckas!!!

i'm so sorry that on the macross side, we're having a freaking party here, while on the HG side, youre stuck with conventions and podcasts.

do I need to be sorry for that?

Most arguments I've seen here are pretty reasonable debates on the shows, and about ALL the toys and products out there. Fan politics are a lot of the reason the large group of us here in SoCal booted a few people. I really don't care what people like, but when one puts that above relationships and common sense, they have a serious problem.

Well, people arguing over what Macross series is better is kinda pointless, but people have that need to try to prove their point, even when nobody cares. I always have this picture of some fat, sweaty guy with glasses, pounding at the keys of his computer in his bedroom of his parent's house. I usually get a good kick out of hearing people "over-b!tch" about some trivial issue.

I only bring it up becuase these days I just see it as a convenient distraction from Harmony Gold's real and serious problems in general, even with the throw away merchandise that come and go all the time. Feelings get hurt and egos raise through the roof from the day to day "debates" about the smallest things about the franchise thanks to fandom politics, but at the end of the day Robotech still has not gone anywhere in the post Shadow Chronicles era which started in 2006-2007. If you want to be generous, you could say it's actually been going in circles endlessly focusing on material that came out between 1985 to 1985 and 2006.

All I see are bad excuses for maintaining the rights to 3 seperate TV shows and pretending to be in a medium. Also, nostalgia is overrated.

Edited by Einherjar

Sadly, they are real people willing to play along year by year and longer than most people would like to. Plus huge egos. That's how I see it at least.

The huge ego thing is definitely there. I'm sure HG could be burning down, and McKeever would still be trying to say how well the franchise is doing, and trying to convince us that there is no fire. As he's now supposedly the marketing coordinator, I wonder why he doesn't keep up with marketing trends and strategy? The general trend in marketing a product over the last 1 1/2 years, has been a strategy of honesty. When you look at all the issues that are coming with RT merchandise, the low demand for the battlepods, the fact that Toynami is letting people go, the stalling of the movie, the "hiatus" of Shadow Rising, etc, etc, don't you think fans would rather hear some simple truth to it? I can respect someone more for trying and not reaching their potential, than someone trying, not reaching the goal, and blaming it on everything else except them. Then when they start throwing other people under the bus, or using people who aren't around as scapegoats, it really only reflects a company that can't, and will never own up to anything, and the goal they try to reach changes. It's not about putting out a great product anymore, but feeding the egos that are in the office. It makes for intereting observation. It's like watching ants in an ant farm trying to build shoddy walls that keep crumbling after they try to move forward.

The huge ego thing is definitely there. I'm sure HG could be burning down, and McKeever would still be trying to say how well the franchise is doing, and trying to convince us that there is no fire. As he's now supposedly the marketing coordinator, I wonder why he doesn't keep up with marketing trends and strategy? The general trend in marketing a product over the last 1 1/2 years, has been a strategy of honesty. When you look at all the issues that are coming with RT merchandise, the low demand for the battlepods, the fact that Toynami is letting people go, the stalling of the movie, the "hiatus" of Shadow Rising, etc, etc, don't you think fans would rather hear some simple truth to it? I can respect someone more for trying and not reaching their potential, than someone trying, not reaching the goal, and blaming it on everything else except them. Then when they start throwing other people under the bus, or using people who aren't around as scapegoats, it really only reflects a company that can't, and will never own up to anything, and the goal they try to reach changes. It's not about putting out a great product anymore, but feeding the egos that are in the office. It makes for intereting observation. It's like watching ants in an ant farm trying to build shoddy walls that keep crumbling after they try to move forward.

Hence why it'd be great if RT just died off. RT's current mgmt is horrible, and will run franchise and all its US lic. into the ground in flames. Letting it go quietly, leaving it dormant to resurface under a new mgmt crew would be better then, in contrast to its current state.

If someone intelligent decides to just get rid of Yune, Yune, & Mckeever, you do know that they would try for the self righteous martyr angle like how Glenn Halitt did when 3H went down in flames with the official transformers fan club stuff.

Hence why it'd be great if RT just died off. RT's current mgmt is horrible, and will run franchise and all its US lic. into the ground in flames. Letting it go quietly, leaving it dormant to resurface under a new mgmt crew would be better then, in contrast to its current state.

I'm a fan of Robotech, but I have the sense to know that it just needs to disappear. I'd only be interested to see it resurface, IF, they were to bring it back without any of the usage of someone else's designs. They had their time to do something significant, and can't pull that together, so it should go away, and not be seen for quite a few years, at least 10. Do you think a lot of people would really feel it?

If someone intelligent decides to just get rid of Yune, Yune, & Mckeever, you do know that they would try for the self righteous martyr angle like how Glenn Halitt did when 3H went down in flames with the official transformers fan club stuff.

I think they've created so many people who are critical of them, and people who just don't like them with all the bridges they've burned, I think if they tried that, they'd be hung by many, many people on the boards. Almost every fan made "Robotech" item I see on youtube, or article with Robotech mentioned, there always seems to be scores of people who are very critical, and doubtful of the current staff's ability. Sure, there's those that like it, but to me, it seems 50/50. Not a good rating when you're trying to build a reputation and a franchise.

I have a question? Even if the RT IP changed hands to someone with more intelligence (that is, they know the Macross name brand is better and would make $), would the owner(s) of the Macross IP even care to deal with those said wishful feelings? or would they say 'We don't need your market for our product'... i mean, do TPTB in japan even care if they had a suddenly unrestricted access to the American market, in light of how HG has treated Macross?

Edited by TehPW

I have a question? Even if the RT IP changed hands to someone with more intelligence (that is, they know the Macross name brand is better and would make $), would the owner(s) of the Macross IP even care to deal with those said wishful feelings? or would they say 'We don't need your market for our product'... i mean, do TPTB in japan even care if they had a suddenly unrestricted access to the American market, in light of how HG has treated Macross?

To be honest, the anime market in the western world is shrinking, seeing how Media Blasters and Bandai Entertainment are no more. I wouldn't say that Macross would be a shot in the arm, but it could help.

To be honest, the anime market in the western world is shrinking, seeing how Media Blasters and Bandai Entertainment are no more. I wouldn't say that Macross would be a shot in the arm, but it could help.

It could help, but it might be too late to try would probably be a more appropriate way of saying it. The Japanese licensors are fairly notorious for their TOS. But that's because foreign markets are small and they want to make a profit out of the show. Merchandising isn't as big outside of Japan so there isn't much coming in except from video sales. Macross is popular, but with what's been happening lately, it might not be popular enough to make it worthwhile venture.

Largely because the Western World is going too poor to afford Japanese imports in general. Just look at how much purchasing power western currencies have lost against Japanese Yen in the last 5 years:

yen.th.png

I'm a fan of Robotech, but I have the sense to know that it just needs to disappear. I'd only be interested to see it resurface, IF, they were to bring it back without any of the usage of someone else's designs. They had their time to do something significant, and can't pull that together, so it should go away, and not be seen for quite a few years, at least 10. Do you think a lot of people would really feel it?

I think they've created so many people who are critical of them, and people who just don't like them with all the bridges they've burned, I think if they tried that, they'd be hung by many, many people on the boards. Almost every fan made "Robotech" item I see on youtube, or article with Robotech mentioned, there always seems to be scores of people who are very critical, and doubtful of the current staff's ability. Sure, there's those that like it, but to me, it seems 50/50. Not a good rating when you're trying to build a reputation and a franchise.

I would imagine that they (fans) would understand that RT would need a time out. And with some form of dignity too. Not when things have gone from worse to horrid, as we may be en route to with LLA. Personally, unless a WB type entity steps in to take RT away from HG, I see it ending badly regardless of what the boards say. I don't want to see RT fair worse than its current state. The franchise suffers from so many different aversities both circumstancial and self inflected, that there are no easy choices as to where to move towards next.

I would imagine that they (fans) would understand that RT would need a time out. And with some form of dignity too. Not when things have gone from worse to horrid, as we may be en route to with LLA. Personally, unless a WB type entity steps in to take RT away from HG, I see it ending badly regardless of what the boards say. I don't want to see RT fair worse than its current state. The franchise suffers from so many different aversities both circumstancial and self inflected, that there are no easy choices as to where to move towards next.

Let it die completely.

Really...Robotech was a good thing in the '80's, when anime was weird and scary, but honestly...who needs it now...?