Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Every purple ink is different. Some form blobs in Future like purple Tamiya does, some look like they dissolve but really just make much smaller blobs that will become evident when it dries.

You have to spend a few minutes mixing it really well, and then let the purple sediment settle to the bottom before dipping the canopy. I don't scrape the bottom of my mixing container when I dunk the canopy. I assure you there are no "purple blobs" on my canopy, even up close.

Tamiya clear mixes better, but it also dries a lot faster and becomes sticky fairly quickly, leaving less room for error. It works though, if you're not as clumsy as I am and can drain off the excess before it starts getting tacky.

What? Alto ditched the super parts in every single fight he has been in. Its like a running joke.

That a bit exagerated. He did jetison a lot of them, true, just as much as he trashed his Messiah. Hence the critical damage.

But every single fight? I don't think so.

Still the main point was that the Super Packs look a lot better with the same color scheme as the fighter they're in.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I noticed that HLJ put up the Ranka Deculture decals last night as available with the Alto kits in very limited quantities. I was wondering if any of the other retailers (HW Japan, Rainbow Ten) were going to be getting the decals in as well? I can't remember how the first Deculture decals were handled, which is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance!

No... Alto did jettison his packs way too much. Even when he didn't need to. In fact, most of his combat occurred in space, and jettisoning his packs would have only led to a disadvantage.

But you're right about one thing, Alto trashed his VF-25 all the time without a second thought; he doesn't respect his planes at all :(

Edited by Cent

Roy already lectured Shin about it in Mac Zero (The mechanics to be more precise, but Roy didn't dispute that, so I felt that he had the same opinion). The best pilots respect their planes. Even Isamu was affectionate towards his YF-19.

Edited by Cent

I dunno, I think all in all, Alto did a better job of of not trashing his bird than Hikaru. Let's take a look at the heavily damaged/lost Valkyries (doing this off the top of my head, so correct me if I'm wrong or miss something):

Hikaru

Loses a VF-1D in episode 2. Might have been salvaged after South Ataria was folded, but counts as lost since it was abandoned.

Gets his VF-1J trashed in his one-on-one with Kamjin.

Loses a VF-1J in a brawl with Britai.

Gets shot down during a Daedalus Attack while chasing Miria. (Losing a Valkyrie to friendly fire! Boo!)

Loses another Valkyrie while hallucinating. :lol:

Almost gets Roy's VF-1S destroyed in the last battle of the war.

Alto

Loses a VF-25F in episode 7.

Loses another in the final episode.

I think that was it for Alto. Can't remember any other instances where his Messiah was destroyed or crippled.

Kinda veering off topic here... :blink:

No... Alto did jettison his packs way too much. Even when he didn't need to. In fact, most of his combat occurred in space, and jettisoning his packs would have only led to a disadvantage.

But you're right about one thing, Alto trashed his VF-25 all the time without a second thought; he doesn't respect his planes at all :(

Yea, especially in the episode where he got the armored pack, he jettisoned every piece after it had run out of missiles. Completely pointless. But it did look freaking BADASS!

I guess that gets to the heart of the matter, Alto is an actor first and foremost, he has to make things look as flashy as possible :lol:

Edited by Raptor One

Alto

Loses a VF-25F in episode 7.

Loses another in the final episode.

Loses arms to Vajra in Ep2

Loses a leg to Vajra in Ep4

Actually, I was bummed out when he jettisoned the wings of the Armored pack in Ep14. He shot at the Vajra Queen (or Princess?) with everything he had left. That might've been our only chance to see those big freaking cannons at work. But no.....

and back on topic, wow, that's a sexy 25S.

Loses arms to Vajra in Ep2

Loses a leg to Vajra in Ep4

Actually, I was bummed out when he jettisoned the wings of the Armored pack in Ep14. He shot at the Vajra Queen (or Princess?) with everything he had left. That might've been our only chance to see those big freaking cannons at work. But no.....

and back on topic, wow, that's a sexy 25S.

Head damage in episode 9 (friendly fire by Michel)

And add the VF-117EX damaged by Ozma in episode 22 and the one that he looses in episode 24, destroyed by Brera.

As far as i can recall Ozma jettisons the SP's in episode 3 (The only time he used SP's instead of Armored, i think) and the Armored in episode 17 but in both cases they had sustained heavy damage. Out of the 4 Skull Squadron members the only one that loses a VF is Michel in episode 14, but that can be desmissed as he was unconcious and Sheryl was "flying" it. Luca and Ozma get shot up a lot but get their birds back. So Alto is truly the SMS's budget buster. But i always found it funny that in episode 12/13 the 25F crashes 2 times due to the D-Pulse but doesn't seem to have a scratch on it. So, i guess we can say with full certainty that we now know what the 2nd "F" in VF-25F stands for. :lol:

Thanks to the guys who spent the time to record Alto's level of failure. In fact, Macross would be more interesting with a constant-clown pilot... Except don't make him the main character :(

Thanks to the guys who spent the time to record Alto's level of failure. In fact, Macross would be more interesting with a constant-clown pilot... Except don't make him the main character :(

haha :D

cant help but say they made an idiot the main character in macross 7, and macross plus... curse of the vf/yf-19

*quickly hides* :ph34r:

frankly, i love the look of the 1/72 ozma vf-25s super messiah

and these bundles are actually on sale at a shop over here,

20% cheaper than the alto version bundled super vf-25f!

still, no one is buying the ozma super vf-25s,

of course, we all know the reason...

but i am getting really tempted to get one

yamato had better hurry up with their DYRL vf-1s/TV vf-1a max jenius

otherwise u know where my money is going...

We're talking about the models here, not how pilots trash their fighters.

All this because of a comment on how good the Custom Painted Super Packs looked on that VF-25S... It's a sickness, really. :lol: But still, it is relevant... to people who might be thinking of making custom VF-25F's related to each one Alto trashed.

Don't look at me that way... You know that someone out there has already thought of doing that. One has already been featured in Hobby Japan! It would make a nice display, a chronology of trashing VF's.

Alto still rules. He trashed them because he went all in. (That sounded dirty!!!)

Back on topic, then!

Edited by westfall

Would be interesting if someone did a custom model VF-25F with Alto-level-battle-damage. XD but yea back OT

Has anyone found out if they'd offer the Armor pack separately yet? And speaking of which, did only Alto and Ozma ever wear the Armor pack, and thus we can't expect one done in the color of the VF-25G?

Would be interesting if someone did a custom model VF-25F with Alto-level-battle-damage. XD but yea back OT

Has anyone found out if they'd offer the Armor pack separately yet? And speaking of which, did only Alto and Ozma ever wear the Armor pack, and thus we can't expect one done in the color of the VF-25G?

As i said, in the April issue of Hobby Japan there was a display of a battle damaged VF-25F. The pics were posted here, in the previous thread ver.2 , if i'm not mistaken.

As far as i've seen, and i've seen the series several times, Ozma and Alto were the only ones to use Armor Pack (Ozma almost all the time and Alto in episodes 14 and 25).

As for a standalone Armor Pack, i haven't found one yet. I have the bundle in pre-order, just in case the standalone doesn't come through.

Since it's only coming out in a couple of months it gives plenty of time to Bandai to anounce the standalone, wich i would prefer, since i have the VF-25S in its box, waiting for the Armor to come out.

Yea I dont remember the VF-25G with the armor pack either, but I'd just rather have a 25G rather than a 25S. If I could help it, I would have ordered the Armor packs standalone and gotten a 25G if they weren't going to offer a non-canon bundle. But barring that, I guess I will build a 25S after all. No worries.

Btw I think I remember seeing that battle damaged VF-25, westfall, but I don't think it was on the level of Alto damage, where the VF is missing a few limbs.

Edited by Cent

AFAIK only the F and S ever used Armor Packs, so there is not a huge need for a standalone with 4 colors to customize your bare VF...I personally prefer them bundled really, so I can have both on display, and not bother taking things apart for diversity. These are models, and once built, I don't even think transforming them often is a good idea.

Btw I think I remember seeing that battle damaged VF-25, westfall, but I don't think it was on the level of Alto damage, where the VF is missing a few limbs.

Oh, its Alto-level damage, alright. It may not be missing any limbs but the guy that modeled that masterpiece of destruction really made a number on that kit. The whole body of the VF is scared beyond repair and he even scratchbuilt the inner frame of a wing wich is burnt through. A masterpiece, indeed.

The reference for the damage seems to be the final VF-25F scene in episode 25, when Alto drops from the cockpit in his EX-Gear, except for one detail. The Battroids head is painted white. That would place it in episodes 1 and 2 since the white head piece was from Gilliams VF-25.

The only other place, that i know of, where the 25F appears with the white head is in this widely know production artwork.

post-9322-1239392735_thumb.jpg

Still, a beautifull piece. And a brave fellow he must be, to damage a kit in such a fashion. I couldn't do it.

I cant remember where it was on these boards, but this was the picture. Sorry its not that big.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/busterbeam/3369270781/

(you can click the all sizes button to make it bigger.)

Speaking of which, has anyone tried to PAINT the red and black decal stripes along the fuselage of the VF-25? The area next to the cockpit especially, even with clearcoat, gets easily work down and shredded by transformations as well as the upper hip intakes rubbing against it in battroid. If you clear coat that area too much, then it'll create a gap between the sides and the cockpit, and clear coating up the edge only does so much, since the lip of the decal is still sorta exposed. I was thinking of using some tape and painting those specific parts separately, if only just for those areas. My concerns are with color matching (with the rest of the red decals), as well as the durability of paint, as even that may wear down (although not as badly as a decal). The other real rub spot that shreds decals are the grey areas on the kneecaps, especially going to Gerwalk. I really like the model kits accuracy, but this is probably the one thing thats keeping me from switching it from fighter to battroid more than once.

Edited by Cent