Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

Oh, I think I understand now. It's talking about the gun pod armored casing itself, specifically how the "rear" section of the gun pod opens. This isn't exactly new to the GU-17 gun pod, since several gun pods have sliding armored casings that open in for use in Battroid mode. I'll post a good gun pod picture later today so you can see what I mean.

Crap, that's right...there's even a picture of the "open" gunpod on the page. Okay, now that I know what the sentence is talking about, it should be easier to get it into workable English.

Looking at the pages, there's a typo:

VF-24 -> YF-24

CRAP IN A HAT!!!

Of all the typos I could make... <_<

Finished Great Mechanics DX.7 (there's a bunch more text that I'm interested in, but I don't think it's worth my while to do anything other than a machine translation. Think: dimensions/stats of Island 3.)

Which means that I can resume Mechanic Sheet M7 09a: Macross 7 Fleet (only the last two paragraphs to go. Woot! Woot!)

I also found the time to hammer out a bunch of WorldGuide: 13a Super Long Range Emmigration Fleet 超長距離移民船団 here: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...c=2017.msg28855 (Only the last quarter of the reverse side to go. Woot! Woot!)

Some of the stuff in there is rather... mind blowing.

housekeeping:

Translated but not typed up:

Mechanic: SDF:M UNS 15a Space Destroyer 宇宙駆逐艦

Technology: 01a Variable Fighter バリアブルファイター.

Mechanic Sheet: SDF:M, UNS 09a: Military Vehicles. 統合軍車両

Subsequent sheets I'm interested in translating:

EX Gear

mechanic M7 UNS 9a Macross 7 Fleet

mechanic SDF:M Zentraedi 10a Factory Satellite

mechanic D7 UNS 01a VF-5000

History M7 02a Varuta Martial attack

tech Variable fighter 1b

tech Destroid 2a

tech Super Long Range Emmigration Fleets

worldguide 17a Macross 7 fleet

Edited by sketchley

Finished WorldGuide: 13a Super Long Range Emmigration Fleet 超長距離移民船団 :!:

I think we can safely summarize the ships in the Megaroad Super Long-Range Emigration Fleets as:

1 Megaroad Class

2 (or more) Macross Class (acting as forward/advanced survey/scout ships)

many Zentraedi Warships

many fold-capable ARMD Class ships

many Space Destroyers

many supply ships

Given the 10 fold increase in population between the New Macross Class and Island Cluster Class fleets, would it be safe to bet that the Megaroad Fleet's ships are less-by-a-factor-of-10 than the New Macross Class fleet? Say 20 ships in total?

Edited by sketchley

This is good stuff. Interesting how they talk a bit more about the way in which cloning was conducted after Space War I. They also spoke of the mindset of the SDF-1 civilians becoming a major influence toward the adoption of space-housed living, thus facilitating the broader population embracing colonization life. Kinda cool how that worked out.

So Eden actually was the first colonized planet. That makes sense. By 2040, we see Eden as a largely developed world with massive cities. It would require humanity at least several decades to build up that kind of infrastructure. It also makes snes that such important military bases, like New Edwards, would be situated on a major colony world.

Your translation is fortuitous as well, since I'm working on a Zentradi height analysis page. The Chronicle again embraces the "10 meter" standard we've come to see repeated in line art comparison charts and official trivia.

Lastly, it makes mention of continued use of the Macross Class vessels as research and survey ships. That follows exactly what happened in Macross Frontier and confirms that the class continued to see extensive use after the war. We could have speculated that much from watching Frontier, but it's great to see it all as official trivia at last.

I'll have to remember to correct the Macross Frontier to Island Cluster Class.

Good work!

Ah! I remembered something... the kana used to describe the Space Destroyer class ships in the Megaroad Class fleets section was simple クラス, as opposed to 級, which is used with the Oberth Space destroyer.

Therefore, me thinks that it's to point out that the space destroyer is either not the Oberth Class, or at least not the Oberth Class as we know it.

It doesn't specifically state that it was military personnel. I'm not disagreeing that military personnel were cloned. Just wish to point out that it's them AND others (scientists, wise-guys, professors, sexy women*, etc.).

* :p a joke

Hundreds? Why not thousands?

Seriously. The article states that capable people (which we can presume are Max amd Miriya), were cloned and shipped out with every Super Long Range Emigration Fleet until the date that mass cloning stopped. Why not have one in every city or town on every colonized planet until that date?

It's possible... and it raises some questions like: are the Max and Miriya that we saw in Macross 7 the *real* Max and Miriya, or just clones? Are the clones carbon copies, or is there some variety, like the sequences in Flashback 2012 hinted at?

All of this is really a discussion for another thread...

Hundreds? Why not thousands?

Seriously. The article states that capable people (which we can presume are Max amd Miriya), were cloned and shipped out with every Super Long Range Emigration Fleet until the date that mass cloning stopped. Why not have one in every city or town on every colonized planet until that date?

It's possible... and it raises some questions like: are the Max and Miriya that we saw in Macross 7 the *real* Max and Miriya, or just clones? Are the clones carbon copies, or is there some variety, like the sequences in Flashback 2012 hinted at?

All of this is really a discussion for another thread...

I'd imagine that the clones wouldn't take on the same names as their progenitors, so the Max and Miriya in Macross 7 probably are the real ones. But I agree, this should really be in another thread.

Okay, I added a bit more to the VF-25S section. I hope to add more tomorrow, and finish the damn thing soon.

I certainly hope the "B" page doesn't arrive anytime soon.

Great. Look forward to reading it all when completed.

One request, when done can you repost it all again.

Graham

Just check the first post in this topic. There are links to all of the translated articles. That, or use my fall-back: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/p.../Chronicles.htm (specifically the table of contents). ((This link is always available off of the link in my signature.))

Thank you very much, Gubaba! 1 question, about the head lasers, it says that the S variant has 4, the G variant has 1 and the others have 2. But the RVF-25 doesn't have any, so it seems to be missed out? Or does the RVF- designation indicate that it is more distinct from the other VF-25s?

Great. Look forward to reading it all when completed.

One request, when done can you repost it all again.

Graham

As Sketchley said, all you need to do is go to the first post in the thread and click the link there...but if you really want me to repost it, I guess I can.

Thank you very much, Gubaba! 1 question, about the head lasers, it says that the S variant has 4, the G variant has 1 and the others have 2. But the RVF-25 doesn't have any, so it seems to be missed out? Or does the RVF- designation indicate that it is more distinct from the other VF-25s?

I wasn't sure about whether it was left out, or different, or what...so you'll notice that I (rather cleverly, I thought) said, "The S variant has four, the G has one, and others have 2," instead of (as you say) "...and THE others have 2." Both are acceptable renderings of the Japanese, but I figured the one that left some wiggle room was better

Of course, how many "other" variants are there? I can only think of two, the 25F and the RVF...but possibly there are others as well, and those ones have two beam guns. Maybe.

As Sketchley said, all you need to do is go to the first post in the thread and click the link there...but if you really want me to repost it, I guess I can.

I wasn't sure about whether it was left out, or different, or what...so you'll notice that I (rather cleverly, I thought) said, "The S variant has four, the G has one, and others have 2," instead of (as you say) "...and THE others have 2." Both are acceptable renderings of the Japanese, but I figured the one that left some wiggle room was better

Of course, how many "other" variants are there? I can only think of two, the 25F and the RVF...but possibly there are others as well, and those ones have two beam guns. Maybe.

Ahh.. nicely done then. Leaves space for the A-E variants ;)

There's also the potential that the RVF-25 doesn't have head lasers. And I'm sure they'll be a B-page. :lol:

There's also the potential that the RVF-25 doesn't have head lasers. And I'm sure they'll be a B-page. :lol:

Yeah, I don't think the RVF-25 has head lasers, but then, I didn't think Mylene's VF-11 had head lasers either.

And oh yes, I'm sure there will be a B page, too. And C. And D. Possibly E as well. A lot depends on how much of the transformation process they want to show, and whether the Armored and Super Packs will have their own entry or not.

At least the VF-25 doesn't have as many variant paintjobs as the VF-1, since everyone keeps the same fighter (or, in Alto's case, virtually identical fighters) throughout the series. Although that could change, depending on how radically they want to shake things up in the movie...

Ah... we should also keep in mind that the sheet that's been produced is the VF-25S. I have no doubt that there will be seperate sheets (with perhaps more "accurate" information) of the other versions of the R/VF-25.

Edited by sketchley

Yeah, I don't think the RVF-25 has head lasers, but then, I didn't think Mylene's VF-11 had head lasers either.

And oh yes, I'm sure there will be a B page, too. And C. And D. Possibly E as well. A lot depends on how much of the transformation process they want to show, and whether the Armored and Super Packs will have their own entry or not.

At least the VF-25 doesn't have as many variant paintjobs as the VF-1, since everyone keeps the same fighter (or, in Alto's case, virtually identical fighters) throughout the series. Although that could change, depending on how radically they want to shake things up in the movie...

Well if it does then that wire/teletubby/antenna like thingy between the two 'headlasers' on the RVF-25 would have to be explained then. I think SK has already stated that the design (or coloring?) of the VF-25 will change slightly for the movie-- anything that sells more toys for Bandai is good afterall. I hope the Armoured and Super packs have their own entry! There is too little data about them as it is!

VF-25S Fighter Mode section is finished. Next up: Gerwalk. Then Battroid.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=695196

After that, I finish up the Zentradi World Guide Sheet. And I have a little surprise as well, but that won't be revealed for another couple of weeks.

Amazing! There's some parts I don't understand though. For this bit:

[Picture Caption - Front view, lower caption] The slit on the front of the fighter's body takes in air and can also act as a Boundary Layer Control system, which lightens air resistance on the wings and body.

--Which slit are they referring to?

Amazing! There's some parts I don't understand though. For this bit:

[Picture Caption - Front view, lower caption] The slit on the front of the fighter's body takes in air and can also act as a Boundary Layer Control system, which lightens air resistance on the wings and body.

--Which slit are they referring to?

I wish I knew. I think it may be the little black line extending forward from where the wing is attached to the body (that's certainly where the arrow on the caption seems to be pointing), but I'm by no means sure.

Looking great. Thanks so much Gubaba.

Can that "Boundary Layer Control System" be the slit that is situated above the engine intakes? Or perhaps the pair of slits near the same area, but on the dorsal side?

But the dorsal side slits have been there on many other designs such as the VF-0 and VF-1 and have not been described as such. The intake above the engine intake, on the other hand... might just be another extraneous intake like the dorsal slits. Maybe they could refer to the inverted V's on the bottom of the frontal fuselage? (Circled in green) They certainly can be construed as slit(s) on the front of the fighter's body.

post-10385-1232645121_thumb.jpg

Edited by edwin3060

Could be. It's hard to say. But the fact that many earlier variable fighters have dorsal intakes doesn't mean they aren't also Boundary Layer Control systems, especially since such BLC systems are a very old aeronautical concept (dating back to the 60's).

I'd actually need my copy of Macross Chronicle #10 in front of me when reading Gubaba's translation to get a better idea of what is being described. I'll take a look when I get home today.

As a guess, I would tend to think that intake slits for a BLCS on the VF-25 would be positioned more around the actual wing body rather than the nose. Don't know much about how BLCS systems work, so maybe an expert can post about it :)

Could be. It's hard to say. But the fact that many earlier variable fighters have dorsal intakes doesn't mean they aren't also Boundary Layer Control systems, especially since such BLC systems are a very old aeronautical concept (dating back to the 60's).

I'd actually need my copy of Macross Chronicle #10 in front of me when reading Gubaba's translation to get a better idea of what is being described. I'll take a look when I get home today.

As a guess, I would tend to think that intake slits for a BLCS on the VF-25 would be positioned more around the actual wing body rather than the nose. Don't know much about how BLCS systems work, so maybe an expert can post about it :)

Yep having the copy of Chronicle in front of you is kind of a must if you want to figure out what is going on. Well, from my rudimentary search, nothing casts any light on solving this mysterious BLCS for the VF-25. I think maybe David Hingten or someone else well versed in aeronautics may be able to shed some light on it-- however from my search it seems that BLC systems are mostly for slow flying aircraft to increase lift and decrease stall speed(http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/ShinMaywa+US-1), which makes it, along with the dihedral of the wings, an oddity on a fighter.

I think SK has already stated that the design (or coloring?) of the VF-25 will change slightly for the movie-- anything that sells more toys for Bandai is good afterall. I hope the Armoured and Super packs have their own entry! There is too little data about them as it is!

Well considering the color scheme in the series is reminiscent of SDFM, I'd be expecting a more DYRL stripe color scheme for the movie,as somewhat an homage to DYRL.

Maybe we'll get lucky and each fighter will get more "Wing Art" like we saw on Ozma's VF-25S. B))

most of the time a BLCS works by taking pressurized air (usually from the engine) and venting it across the wing in order to increase lift. the important part is that your venting air (and sometimes suck air in) on the surface you're trying to effect. the small intakes just above the main intakes may be used to get air into the system, but they also need some kind of vent/slats or whatever on the wings themselves.

and as for the little v shaped lines on the underside of the nose, I think those are part of the hip joint for the transformation

BLC needs exhaust slits more than an intake. What seems to be described for the VF-25 is more like a ram-air BLC system, than a truly "blown" system. As for fighters---lots of MiG-21s have it, as do some variants of the F-8 and all F-104s. If you really wanted you could probably duct the air to the rudder/elevators but I've only known it to be used on trailing-edge flaps.

Quickie scanlation of Mechanic: Zero Anti-UN Sheet 02: Octos

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...ic=2062.new#new

This one does look like it has a lot of interesting stuff that will fill in some blanks in the M0 background. However, it's quite low on my priority list. Not sure if I'll be able to revisit it and do a proper translation later.

And to think I didn't even know what a Boundary Layer Control System even was before I started this...(I sent a rather panicked message to Azrael, giving him the kanji and saying that I had gotten "Boundary Layer Control" out of it...did he happen to know what the real name for this was? He sent back the wikipedia entry on BLCS).

As frustrating and slow-going as this page has been, it's also had some nice educational value. ^_^