• VF-17 Nightmare
    • VF-19 Excalibur
    • VF-22 Sturmvogel II
    • VF-5000 StarMirage
    • VA-3 Invader
    • VB-6 Konig Monster
    • VF-2SS
    • Metal Siren

I know this has been done before, but since I'm Cannon fodder to this Forum. I'm curious to know what are your favorite VF mecha or what is the Ultmate VF mecha in Macross history.

I personally like all the VF mecha in Macross. Several of the VF mecha are my favorites. The VF-1 Valkerie which started it all is my idea of the Ultimate F-14 Tomcat. The VF-1 has all the Air to Air capiblities like the F-14, but its a 10 times fold over a F-14 any time.

Then theres the VF-11 Thunderbolt III which is my idea of the Ultimate F-15 Eagle ( mainly the F-15 S/MTD), It haves all the killing instincts of the F-15 and is a big advancement over he VF-1 when it comes to VF combat capabilities, plus it is one sleek and agile bird.

The Next one would be the VF-17 Nightmare, the first true Stealth VF mecha, do I have to say anymore (F-117 Nighthawk). :D

Then there is the VF-5000 StarMirage a direct successor to the VF-1 and VF-11. This VF is sleek, agile and one mean looking VF mecha.

In my opinion the Ultimate VF mecha would be the VF-22 Sturmvogel II, Second generation Stealth VF mecha.

It is my idea of the Ultimate F-22 Raptor, But Stealthier, Faster and more Heavily armed. It is the most agile and mean looking VF mecha in Macross history. Its has all the combat capabilities of all the VF mecha ever built, but with all the up to date Advanced VF technology built into its Airframe. This would be my ride if I was going into combat. :D

Note: Sorry to not add the VF-25 onto this topic. This VF is pretty new, there is not to many pics and there is not a run down on the history of the VF-25 nor its specs! Don't get me wrong the VF-25 is a cool looking VF to join Macross.

Edited by azrael

YF-21.

Or the Stampede Valk. Hard not to like something with that many guns. :D

With the exception of the BDI system and the cockpit canopy on the YF-21 Omega One it is not much different then the VF-22 Sturmvogel II. The VF-1 Valkerie will always be the classic VF.

I like the refined version of the VF-14 Vampire. I think it's a big badass fighter, just wonder how much weapons it has.

The VF-9 Cutlass is a close second. GERWALK mode reminds me of the Armour Diver in Mospeada, but cooler.

I like the refined version of the VF-14 Vampire. I think it's a big badass fighter, just wonder how much weapons it has.

The VF-9 Cutlass is a close second. GERWALK mode reminds me of the Armour Diver in Mospeada, but cooler.

The VF-14 Vampire is a fine VF mecha and in my opinion a direct successor to the VF-4 Lightning III. From the looks of the VF-14 and in the hands of Veteran Combat VF pilot it could be put into good use and hold its own in combat. I'm sure that it has a big weapons load for a fighter its size. Plus the VF-14 looks similiar to the SR-71 Blackbird.

The VF-9 Cutlass is one sleek and fast VF mecha and in my opinion the predecessor to the VF-19 Excalibur. With its small silhoutte it would be a hard Fighter to shoot down. Plus the VF-9 looks like the X-29 FSW Demostrator.

Edited by VF-7000 THUNDERHAWK

Another vote for the YF-21 with BDI and BCS. Not the conventional controlled VF-22. While the VF-22 has internally stored gunpods, I feel that the BDI and BCS of the YF-21 would give any skilled pilot a massive edge over pilots of conventionally controlled fighters.

you should have a complete list first, you're missing a whole lot of VF's to make this a valid pole, VF-2SS VF-MS VF-3000 VF-25 VF-171 etc etc.

For me it's the new VF-25 or the VF-2SS

From my understanding the VF-171 is a squadron of VF-17 Nightmares in Macross Frontiers, but I could be wrong. Macross II, VF-2SS an the VF-MS in my opinion are not part of the Macross universe and are part of a separate time line.

As for the VF-3000 from my understanding it is a more advanced VF-1. As I've stated, The reason I didn't put the VF-25 on this topic is because its a really new VF mecha. Theres hardly any pics, no history or specs on the VF-25.

I like to know what other VF combat systems I'm missing? I know of all of the VF mecha in Macross, if theres is more I sure like to know about them.

As for the YF-19 Alpha one and the YF-21 Omega one. The reason why I didn't put them in the poll was because, these two VF's were merely prototypes for the VF-19 and VF-22, they never saw military service with exception of taking out Sharon Apple and the X-9 Ghost on earth in Macross Plus.

Just to let you know the YF-21 BDI/BCS system was a total failure and would've not worked well in active military service. The VF-22 became a novelty Special Operations Fighter just like the VF-17 was.

Maybe you guys don't get how this forum works...

Macross... everywhere else but this section...

of course it'll be dumb if I move it now, so I'll wait for another to do so...

:rolleyes::lol:

Forgive me I'm pretty new to this forum. Believe me I looked at the other Topic forums and none of them seem to fit where this topic was suppose to go with the exception of Off Topic. If there is a another Topic forum for my topic then the moderators will move it to the appropiate Topic forum. Until then it will remain here. B))

No sir.

That was a vote for the superior vehicle with a proper man-machine interface and deformable lift surfaces. Not the pathetic cripple seen in Macross 7.

Damn straight. Guld Kamakazi for the win.

VF-7000 Thunderhawk... a failure? Please explain.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

VF-4 Lightning III hands down. Valkyrie perfection, in my eyes. I love every mode, and it boggles me as to why so many people seem to have issue with the battroid (I've heard it all before, not asking for a repeat performance). In my personal opinion it's simply one of Kawamori's most creative and refined creations. Sleek and gorgeous in fighter, while big and badass looking in battroid. Gerwalk is the only mode that doesn't really grab me, but I don't dislike that mode on it either, just there are other Valkyries I see as having a better looking gerwalk.

I also have a fondness for the VF-14. I've always been a fan of the SR-71, and someone has already pointed out the resemblance, additionally it shares some qualities with the VF-4.

The VA-3 Invader will always hold a special place in my heart, too. I really hate the idea that every VF needs to be "pretty", and I'm a big fan of variety. I also love things that have a retro look to them, and there's something in the VA-3's design that seems to have that appeal to me. Kinda like the WWII-ish variable fighter designs Kawamori was doing before that project became Escaflowne. I'd still love him to revisit that idea.

If I had to choose toys I'd love to see Yamato make, out of all the "underdog" Valkyries, well the VF-4 would be my obvious first choice, but I'd say the VF-9 would be my second. As we already have a VB-6, the VA-3 would be third on my list of priorities.

Out of Valkyries with more "mainstream appeal", the new VF-171 I absolutely adore, far more than the VF-17. I dunno what it is, just a few small changes really made the design for me. Not that I disliked the 17, but now the 171 ranks among my favourites.

VF-1. One of the main reasons other than the classicness of it all is what I consider the ingenius transformation. I mean who would've thought of putting the head at the bottom of the fighter mode? I think that's one of the most awesome designs. I mean you'd use it to fire anti-fighter lasers in all modes and can even use it to fire at a target next to you or below you. And when it transforms it becomes into a head. Awesomeness.

The later valkyrie designs lost this coolness factor though and the head has been relegated into the middle of the fighter and fires some puny laser that's supposed to get enemies off your back (without much effect IMHO).

So yeah I love the VF-1 for its head. Btw why is this in the anime/scifi thread?

I also may have to vote for the new Macross F VF-25 or "brief 25"! :lol:

I have not yet voted on this poll because it was not there and also because i am at a standstill in my mind about the VF-0, the VF-1, the VF-4 and the VF-25.

It is definitely one of those four for me. I will have to think about it for now and vote later.

Guld was psychologically unstable, and during the Super Nova Project Millard suppressed Guld's medical test results. I have yet to read anywhere that the BCS/BDI was a failure. THe Macross compendium states in the YF-21 entry:

"Irreparable damage of YF-21 prototype No. 2 with loss of pilot in subsequent battle with Ghost X-9 unmanned fighter over Macross City during the Sharon Apple Incident. YF-19 announced by UNAF as winning design 2041."

YF-21 entry

In the VF-22 entry it is stated:

"Brainwave control system not implemented in VF-22 design due to test results on the YF-21 in the Super Nova competition. "

VF-22 entry

Which is not a statement that the BCS/BDI was a failure.

BDI/BCS aside, the YF-21-type of variable fighter is the most superior to me for several reasons:

1) With the loss of its legs it can still fly in fighter mode. No other VF can do that.

2) It not only has one, but TWO gunpods, as well as lasers that can fire in EVERY mode (challenging the VF-4), has internally stored micro missile launchers, and an internal weapons palette (VF-22 only, not mentioned on the YF-21).

3) Pin-point Barrier system shared only with the 19 series.

4) Considering that as Captain and head of the M7 fleet, Max had the choice between the 19 and 22, he chose the 22. It says a lot to me. That Miria took a 22 as well... :)

While I love the way the YF-19/VF-19A looks, with the forward swept wings, the fixed wingroot lasers kills it for me for armaments. Hip mounted lasers in battroid. Ouch.

My choice of best variable fighters in order:

YF-21/VF-22

VF-17

YF-19/VF-19A

I am not taking into account the Macross Frontier variable fighters yet since we haven't seen enough of them yet.

As for looks...

VF-11

VF-14 ties with VF-4

VF-22

YF-19

Hmm, can I include VF-2SS and Metal Siren? ^_^

I pick VF-11C to honor the cannon fodders. B))

Besides I think the list should include the Varauta VFs, SV-51, Pheyos valk and the ugly one.....the Variable Glaug :lol: .

Damn straight. Guld Kamakazi for the win.

VF-7000 Thunderhawk... a failure? Please explain.

VF-7000 Thunderhawk is my forum name,"Dude" !

IF the VF-7000 was a real VF mecha in the Macross universe, it would be Black Spec Ops VF mecha. It would be superior to any VF mecha ever made including the new VF-25. :D

Any further inquiries on this Highy Top Secret VF mecha will be met with extermination. :lol::D

Citation needed.

VF-7000 THUNDERHAWK, if you cannot cite where you obtained this information that the BDI/BCS was a total failure, then I suggest you refrain from making a that statement (hence opinion). The kids here will eat you for breakfast. :p

And in a poll that says "The Ultimate Macross Variable Fighter", leaving out the MII fighters is probably a bad idea.

Even though it's not on the list, I choose the SV-51. It's basically a cross between a Flanker (basic design) and a Lightning II (stealth and lift fan), two of my favorite planes.

It's a shame there was never a space variant.

Edited by Devil 505

Guld was psychologically unstable, and during the Super Nova Project Millard suppressed Guld's medical test results. I have yet to read anywhere that the BCS/BDI was a failure. THe Macross compendium states in the YF-21 entry:

"Irreparable damage of YF-21 prototype No. 2 with loss of pilot in subsequent battle with Ghost X-9 unmanned fighter over Macross City during the Sharon Apple Incident. YF-19 announced by UNAF as winning design 2041."

YF-21 entry

In the VF-22 entry it is stated:

"Brainwave control system not implemented in VF-22 design due to test results on the YF-21 in the Super Nova competition. "

VF-22 entry

Which is not a statement that the BCS/BDI was a failure.

BDI/BCS aside, the YF-21-type of variable fighter is the most superior to me for several reasons:

1) With the loss of its legs it can still fly in fighter mode. No other VF can do that.

2) It not only has one, but TWO gunpods, as well as lasers that can fire in EVERY mode (challenging the VF-4), has internally stored micro missile launchers, and an internal weapons palette (VF-22 only, not mentioned on the YF-21).

3) Pin-point Barrier system shared only with the 19 series.

4) Considering that as Captain and head of the M7 fleet, Max had the choice between the 19 and 22, he chose the 22. It says a lot to me. That Miria took a 22 as well... :)

While I love the way the YF-19/VF-19A looks, with the forward swept wings, the fixed wingroot lasers kills it for me for armaments. Hip mounted lasers in battroid. Ouch.

My choice of best variable fighters in order:

YF-21/VF-22

VF-17

YF-19/VF-19A

I am not taking into account the Macross Frontier variable fighters yet since we haven't seen enough of them yet.

As for looks...

VF-11

VF-14 ties with VF-4

VF-22

YF-19

To me the YF-21 Omega One was a excellent CDA VF mecha and the BDI and BCS was really advanced at the time of testing of this advanced flight system. The BDI/BCS would of given the pilot a 2 to3 second reaction time over a pilot using Fly-By-Wire or Fly-By-Light flight control system.

But unfortunately U.N. Spacey felt due to the loss of the YF-21 and due to there was not enough technical information from the testing of the BDI/BCS system. U.N. Spacey felt it was not feasibe to field this Advanced flight system into Military service at this time. Its possble that General Galaxy and U.N. Spacey's New Edwards Test Flight center continued research on the BDI/BCS Advanced Flight Systems.

With removal of the BDI/BCS from the VF-22. The VF-22 is not much different then the YF-21!!!

To me the YF-21 Omega One was a excellent CDA VF mecha and the BDI and BCS was really advanced at the time of testing of this advanced flight system. The BDI/BCS would of given the pilot a 2 to3 second reaction time over a pilot using Fly-By-Wire or Fly-By-Light flight control system.

Two to three SECONDS?

I assume you don't mean in a dogfight.

While I have and do maintain that the BCS would allow greater reaction times, I don't think you'll see THAT large a difference in pure time.

The larger advantage comes from the ready availability of data in an easily-processed form, allowing better-informed decisions to be made.

And instant access to a wider variety of controls.

To take the pinpoint barrier system as an example:

On the Y/VF-19 or VF-22, the barrier disks can't be easily relocated in combat. Essentially, you'll place them on the most tactically useful spots and just tough it out(in Macross 7, you can see this quite readily, as in battroid mode Basara's disks are focused on his arm shield).

On the YF-21, the barrier disks, like everything else, are an extension of the pilot's will. They go where he says to, when he says to.

If a missile is headed for the cockpit, a barrier disk can slide over there and intercept it, while another one slips another direction to catch a laser aimed at an engine intake.

But unfortunately U.N. Spacey felt due to the loss of the YF-21 and due to there was not enough technical information from the testing of the BDI/BCS system. U.N. Spacey felt it was not feasibe to field this Advanced flight system into Military service at this time. Its possble that General Galaxy and U.N. Spacey's New Edwards Test Flight center continued research on the BDI/BCS Advanced Flight Systems.

I seriously doubt the technology was abandoned. I'd bet it's still in development. It has entirely too much promise to ignore.

With removal of the BDI/BCS from the VF-22. The VF-22 is not much different the YF-21!!!

With the removal of BCS and variable camber wings, the VF-22 is not much different from a great number of VFs.

Hmm, can I include VF-2SS and Metal Siren? ^_^

I pick VF-11C to honor the cannon fodders. B))

Besides I think the list should include the Varauta VFs, SV-51, Pheyos valk and the ugly one.....the Variable Glaug :lol: .

I mentioned in Post#12 of this thread that Macross II, VF-2SS and the VF-MS in my opinion are not part of the Macross timeline and it belongs on a alternate time line.

The Varuta VF's and the Anti-U.N. SV-51 are enemy VF mechas and are not part of U.N. Spacey.

I personally think the SV-51 is not the greatest looking VF even though it has decent combat capability.

"This thread is more focused on what is the Ultimate VF mecha ever been produced for U.N. Spacey"!!!

With removal of the BDI/BCS from the VF-22. The VF-22 is not much different then the YF-21!!!

The BDI/BCS proved too unstable and susceptible to pilot's mental well being and thus was not implemented. Besides you need "newtype"-ish powers and reaction time to use it like how JBO explained like moving PPB to cockpits and what not. Besides the main use for the BDI/BCS was the "morphing wings" which was entirely concept and not meant to be implemented in the final production due to costs and also excluded from the VF-22.

STRUCTURE: Composite materials (based upon OTM theories) which are capable of increasing or decreasing the wing cross section and area with feedback from the pilot's brainwaves. Due to the high cost and problems in the construction of the main wing's complex structure, this technology is not intended for mass production.