The All Things Video Games Thread!

Sometimes we got game news that's not specific to any particular system, links to game related humor, Macross Worlders wanting to wax nostalgia about classic gaming, and so on and so forth. Obviously these posts wouldn't be appropriate to go into the dedicated threads for the PS3, 360, Wii, PSP, and DS threads or some of the threads we have dedicated to big hits like Guitar Hero, Ace Combat, and so on.

I think this is the way to go. B))

Edited by Apollo Leader

Yeah this is a good thread to have.

Capcom sometimes do it too: Balrog the boxer being mike tyson in the street fighter games. Feilong being a bruce lee clone.

Namco did it with thier fighting game characters too:

One of the characters in tekken 2 reminds me of jackie chan. (think of him from police story, note the fighting style)

Also another bruce lee clone in that too.

Contra to me is the most obvious one. How can you not see arnie and stallone's face in those characters? They made it a little too obvious.

Capcom sometimes do it too: Balrog the boxer being mike tyson in the street fighter games. Feilong being a bruce lee clone.

It's worth noting that the original Street Fighter 2 bosses played Musical Names on the way to the States.

In Japan, M. Bison was the boxer resembling a certain well-known ear-biter. And Street Fighter 1's boxer was named Bison, though Capcom never did decide if it was the same guy in both games(there's official material that goes both ways).

Anyways, they decided there was a good chance M. Tyson might sue over M. Bison, so they swapped names around to lessen the likeness.

Vega was originally the crazy guy with the cape, and Balrog was the jumpy dude with the claw.

Sagat beat the crap out of anyone who tried to steal his name, because he's hardcore like that.

Yeah in the us version they swapped the names around. Hehe kinda confusing. And in the prequel series of SF, Nash for example refers to charlie in the us version. Argh why not just keep everything the same?

That's why every time I mention a boss like vega or balrog I add (claw guy) or (boxer) so anyone reading it knows which person I am on about.

Sagat is pretty sad case though to be honest. He had to copy ryu's dragon punch and make his own crappy version of it to keep up with ryu. Getting beat up by a short midget with a single punch that puts a scar on your chest can make you really angry.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Funny console related youtube vids:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zqr1r9jIU0s

ABAP - As Balla As Possible

Says that news of Sony losing DMC3 exclusivity to other formats is ok.

PS3 is ABAP.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PyPZhzgL8mQ

Takes a swipes at nintendo wii, says that nintendo need to copy how to make good games. The wii controller is a dildo, and how it aint got games.

The video is trying to convince you to buy the ps triple. Wii owners what do you think? Is the Wii ABAP like the ps3? Chad Warden looks like a pretty devoted ps3 fan. I own a wii and 360 so far but don't know if I want to get a ps3. So I thought I would go to youtube to seek some advice on whether I should buy one. The PS Triple sounds pretty awesome. Ballin :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Funny console related youtube vids:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zqr1r9jIU0s

ABAP - As Balla As Possible

Says that news of Sony losing DMC3 exclusivity to other formats is ok.

PS3 is ABAP.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PyPZhzgL8mQ

Takes a swipes at nintendo wii, says that nintendo need to copy how to make good games. The wii controller is a dildo, and how it aint got games.

The video is trying to convince you to buy the ps triple. Wii owners what do you think? Is the Wii ABAP like the ps3? Chad Warden looks like a pretty devoted ps3 fan. I own a wii and 360 so far but don't know if I want to get a ps3. So I thought I would go to youtube to seek some advice on whether I should buy one. The PS Triple sounds pretty awesome. Ballin :D

I dunno about Chad, but Nolan Bushnell says go Wii60.

He plays his 360 the most right now, but he thinks the Wii is pretty badass too.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/18/joystiq-...der-and-restau/

And no, I have NO idea why they used the pool photo.

his comments pretty much mirror mine for now:

"Well, it seems like the Xbox 360 has the clear advantage in terms of games and the online service. It's a software race at this point, the hardware is just secondary. I play the Xbox 360 more than the other systems, although I don't have a PlayStation 3 yet. I'm not sure if I will get one, because there isn't really a compelling reason to own one just yet."

It's early days still though..

Slightly off topic as it's a PC game, but I'm playing STALKER at the moment and loving it. I don't think I'll ever be able to pat a dog again.

his comments pretty much mirror mine for now:

It's early days still though..

PS3 so far only has three games that I am even interested in, those being Lair, Heavenly Sword and MGS4. 360 on the other hand has at least a dozen games I want just off the top of my head and two of those (Mass Effect/Too Human) are the start of apparently epic trilogy's.

And no, I have NO idea why they used the pool photo.

:lol:

Slightly off topic as it's a PC game, but I'm playing STALKER at the moment and loving it. I don't think I'll ever be able to pat a dog again.

Yeah that was long awaited game, as a big fan of Andreij Tarkovski's movie. Too bad my laptop's graphics card can't handle modern games, so I haven't played neither seen it... <_<

Well, old school emulator games are the best anyway! :p

I just wish STALKER was not so buggy.

I'm trying to play the game and trying to enjoy it but it's just so damn buggy for me. Missions that lead nowhere, items magically disappearing, characters not where they are supposed to be and the random crashes just to keep the game interesting. The game is also a complete resource pig. My PC eats HL2 Ep1, Oblivion and FEAR for breakfast maxed out but STALKER is a jumbled mess at about 2 FPS when set to max... I could also go on and on about the myriad of technical inaccuracies the game has but I figure it's just a game, a game designed by people who have never shot a real weapon in their lives. :lol::p

what's the recommended specs for Stalker?

well, first off, is it even VISTA compatible since I'm stuck with VISTA.

---

ok, just looked it up at Best Buy. I guess I exceed all the specs except for the Windows 2000/XP part.

I've been having one heck of time getting old games to work right on VISTA and I doubt any new games will work right unless it specifies VISTA compatible.

My notebook is still XP Home SP2, but it's only got a 64 mb video card.

Oh well.

Edited by Chowser

STALKER is supposed to be Vista compatible with a patch but when searching the forums looking to solutions to my problems with the game I discovered that it's Vista compatibility is sketchy at best. STALKER has been patched already but it is in dire need of another patch to clean up the game's problems, which appear to be a combination of poor code and wonky mission structure. The current patch fixes a handful of bugs but not many, plus it makes your old savegames not work... plus it kind of imbalances the game by adding a lot of items to the shops early on.

From what I have seen STALKER is a massive resource pig. I'm running a fairly new rig complete with a Radeon X1950 graphics card, X-Fi sound card, 4 gig of ram (yes I know, I got it through work so it's all that much of a "waste"), etc. etc. and even I am having problems running the game with all the bells and whistles turned on... which is sad because visually the game is not all that impressive, even when maxed out. When set to max on everything it's about on par with HL2 that came out years ago but not Oblivion which even is still a few years old.

From magicbox :

M U L T I

- Famitsu announced the Famitsu Awards 2006 winners in Japan, to praise game titles released in Japan during 2006, a total of 31,933 readers have submitted votes.

Game of the Year Grand Prize:

Final Fantasy XII (PS2, Square Enix)

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)

Special Prize - Novice Game of the Year: Blue Dragon (X360, Mistwalker)

Special Prize - Best Hit of the Year: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)

Special Prize - Innovation : Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Rearrangement: New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in High Performance: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama: Ryuga Gotoku 2 [Yakuza 2] (PS2, Sega)

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Okami (PS2, Capcom)

Outstanding Achievement in Multiplayer Action: Monster Hunter 2 (PS2, Capcom)

Outstanding Achievement in Portable: Metal Gear Portable Ops (PSP, Konami)

Outstanding Achievement in RPG: Persona 3 (PS2, Atlus)

Most Valuable Person of the Year: Hironobu Sakaguchi (Miskwalker)

Game Character of the Year: Mario

Game Company of the Year: Nintendo

Edited by Black Valkyrie

Im glad i waited on Stalker then. Was holding outt ill they do a special edition or something with all the issues fixed.

meanwhile the Spiderman 3 game will be in my hot little hands next week. Spiderman 2 and Ultimate Spiderman are 2 of my fav games, so i cant WAIT for 3!!!

Top Ten Video Game Series That Fell Off

A few personal choices of my own that I can't but help think, "Where did they go to?" would be Rare's Battletoads and Killer Instinct series. A few games that only received one game and never received a sequel that I wish would receive a sequel would include Axelay, Phalanx, and Space Megaforce (all SNES/Super Famicom)

A few games that only received one game and never received a sequel that I wish would receive a sequel would include Axelay, Phalanx, and Space Megaforce (all SNES/Super Famicom)

Space Megaforce was hardly a one-shot.

Outside the US, it's known as Super Aleste, which makes it's heritage as part of the Aleste series well-known.

You'd probably also enjoy some of Compile's other shooters, since they were all basically the same formula.

Especially Blazing Lazers on the TG16.

Space Megaforce was hardly a one-shot.

Outside the US, it's known as Super Aleste, which makes it's heritage as part of the Aleste series well-known.

You'd probably also enjoy some of Compile's other shooters, since they were all basically the same formula.

Especially Blazing Lazers on the TG16.

I had forgot all about that. :) Schmups will always be a favorite genre to me.

They should roll all the work into a new game called "Duke Nukem Now" and begin development of the sequel to that under the title of Duke Nukem Forever, thereby keeping Duke Forever as vaporware.

I wonder, if Duke Nukem finally comes out, will it come out as polished and good as Daikatana? :lol:

You know, as much as Daikatana sucked, I did enjoy the whole behind-the-scenes drama. I followed the tragic development of Daikatana all the way through and must admit I got a kick outta the whole silly affair, along with it's eventual demise. It was like the gaming equivalent of the tabloids, in a way :)