Transformers Super Thread 5

They light up.

*bangs head*

Can't we put the LEDs in logical places? Rather than making missile turrets glow, why not gun barrels?

Preferably just the tips, because completely transparent barrels ruins the "in disguise" part.

Internet Toy Fan Insult #3,654: 'Fisher Price'

Used to describe a toy and/or its intended audience's alledged lack of maturity merely because one personally does not like an aspect of its appearance.

See also: Neon, Playskool, dumb, lazy, gay, Hasblow.

Some of those terms are used to refer to actual children.

IMO, glowing missile launchers is pretty clearly a child-targeted feature.

The current IDW G1 comic books run concurrently with each other. Stormbringer was set during the same time as the events happening on Earth in Infiltration. That's why Stormbringer seems so short and abrupt - the story continues on in the Infiltration-Escalation-Devastation main comic as well as the various Spotlight one-shots. Yeah, its kind of an annoying way to get you to buy every comic they make.

Yay for the comic book market!

There's a reason I never got into american comic books. This would be an extreme example of why.

I've already got the Infiltration graphic novel, so I'll probably grab a few more. But if I'd known what I was getting into, I'd've left it on the shelf at the bookstore.

*bangs head*

Can't we put the LEDs in logical places? Rather than making missile turrets glow, why not gun barrels?

Preferably just the tips, because completely transparent barrels ruins the "in disguise" part.

Some of those terms are used to refer to actual children.

IMO, glowing missile launchers is pretty clearly a child-targeted feature.

I know. His main gun barrel does light up, though. Hasbro probably left them unpainted so they're more obviously a feature. On the green tank, they light up green.

Wasn't Phyrox beef that the sub turret on Brawl's main turret made it look overgunned and thus childish or something?

Disguise - at the same time, Transformers are still kids toys, that's why they make money.

Yay for the comic book market!

There's a reason I never got into american comic books. This would be an extreme example of why.

I've already got the Infiltration graphic novel, so I'll probably grab a few more. But if I'd known what I was getting into, I'd've left it on the shelf at the bookstore.

The thread of Stormbringer's storyline continues in Spotlight: Galvatron. Edited by Fit For Natalie

Wasn't Phyrox beef that the sub turret on Brawl's main turret made it look overgunned and thus childish or something?

That was exactly my point.

They didn't put VF-style FAST packs on Starscream, they didn't stick a bunch of extra missles on Blackout, and they didn't give Bumblebee a bunch of MASK-like hidden laserguns. Because those are lame. Their alt modes all look like real world vehicles.

Then there is this tank with a ridiculous second turret, looks like it rolled out of GI Joe.

So, yeah it does look overgunned and childish.

And seriously, there is no need to quote back my comment and define its style of critisism. I think everyone here got what I was saying without your help.

aah geeez...i went preview night and today (thursday) and no luck with the Hasbro Toy Store. you have to fight a mass of folks in line to get tickets to buy...and then you gotta go back at a designated time in order to purchase.

they only give out tickets at 10 am and 2 pm.

weak sauce. i'll try to get myself one tomorrow...but i know that i'll fail.

i see peeps buying up to 10 rodimus at a time...then i just checked on ebay too with a $50 price tag.

ultimate bumble bee is also available.

Shame to hear about your frustrations trying to buy one mate - I sympathize with ya.

:mellow:

Good luck with the hunt.

:ph34r:

I really want to get one of these ... I hope to find one at a semi-decent price.

:rolleyes:

I know. His main gun barrel does light up, though. Hasbro probably left them unpainted so they're more obviously a feature. On the green tank, they light up green.

If they paint them, it WILL improve the situation a lot.

Disguise - at the same time, Transformers are still kids toys, that's why they make money.

I know. And I lvoed Shockwave, who had a transparent gun barrel and no real disguise to speak of.

But it wouldn't be the first time they mounted a light on teh end of the barrel instead of the base, and it WOULD look better and make more sense.

Is it just me or is Animated Starscream a cartoony YF-19?

That seems to be so.

I rest my case.

What does that mean? All that says is they redressed an old tank prop which I was well aware of.

Besides, adding a bunch of guns to a tank is not outside the realm of plausibility, given the real-life things like the Maus and Ratte.

What does that mean? All that says is they redressed an old tank prop which I was well aware of.

Besides, adding a bunch of guns to a tank is not outside the realm of plausibility, given the real-life things like the Maus and Ratte.

While I like the new brawl alot, and plan on nabbing the leader class toy, I too would have prefered they used a normal looking abram's tank, mostly because this brawl seems to be the closest we're ever going to get to the canceled military alternators line.

I can tell just from the thumbnail Starscream's an S-37. ::click:: Yup. Kind of an SD S-37, but definitely inspired by the S-37.

::edit:: With an Sv-51's v.stabs....

PS--can someone give me a direct link, or just post a pic, of Classics Octane? I just can't find anything online. Same request for Sideswipe.

PPS--sigh, I was hoping we'd actually get some new molds for the movie, not just repaints. I want a bigger, better Barricade, SS, and Blackout. And repainting Blackout as a Dauphin is just sad. Might as well repaint SS blue and white and say it's Air Force One. (They did use a Dauphin right? I really wasn't looking at the helis during the movie)

I can tell just from the thumbnail Starscream's an S-37. ::click:: Yup. Kind of an SD S-37, but definitely inspired by the S-37.

PS--can someone give me a direct link, or just post a pic, of Classics Octane? I just can't find anything online. Same request for Sideswipe.

PPS--sigh, I was hoping we'd actually get some new molds for the movie, not just repaints. I want a bigger, better Barricade, SS, and Blackout. And repainting Blackout as a Dauphin is just sad. Might as well repaint SS blue and white and say it's Air Force One. (They did use a Dauphin right? I really wasn't looking at the helis during the movie)

Octane

and

Sideswipe and Sunstreaker

Heh, Starscream is an S-37 sans canards.

The drawing of Octane clearly has him transform into an A-10 Warthog. The photo? to the right looks more like an A400M if anything, not a C-130. (but it's not an A400M) So what DOES he turn into?

Thanks much for the pics.

The drawing of Octane clearly has him transform into an A-10 Warthog. The photo? to the right looks more like an A400M if anything, not a C-130. (but it's not an A400M) So what DOES he turn into?

Thanks much for the pics.

Isn't the idea with the Classics and Animated lines to have the TFs look as much like real world vehicles without having to pay royalties? I think that is why the alt forms are looking like hybrids. Unlike the Masterpiece line where I'm sure they have to pay royalties to the manufactures of the F-15 (Boeing?) and might explain why Classics Starscream actually looks like a F-15.

The current IDW G1 comic books run concurrently with each other. Stormbringer was set during the same time as the events happening on Earth in Infiltration. That's why Stormbringer seems so short and abrupt - the story continues on in the Infiltration-Escalation-Devastation main comic as well as the various Spotlight one-shots. Yeah, its kind of an annoying way to get you to buy every comic they make.

IDW's G1 continuity itself is brand new, Dreamwave's continuity (The War Within, DW G1) has nothing to do with it, though I recall IDW saying that they would like to finish it up once the legal mess brought on by Pat Lee Mania is resolved.

If anybody is wondering, IDW's Beast Wars comic book mini-series are from the Beast Wars cartoon continuity, which has nothing to do with IDW's G1 continuity.

Thanks for the info. But any idea why Stormbringer is "Volume 2" of something. Any idea about this so maybe i can get "Volume 1" of whatever its sequeled to.

Isn't the idea with the Classics and Animated lines to have the TFs look as much like real world vehicles without having to pay royalties? I think that is why the alt forms are looking like hybrids. Unlike the Masterpiece line where I'm sure they have to pay royalties to the manufactures of the F-15 (Boeing?) and might explain why Classics Starscream actually looks like a F-15.
Classics are hybrid and faked up vehicles based upon real-world designs. Animated is half and half - some are entirely made up, while others are based (vaugley) on real world vehicles, all with cartoony proportions. I'm not sure if they bothered getting the license for Masterpiece Starscream.

Thanks for the info. But any idea why Stormbringer is "Volume 2" of something. Any idea about this so maybe i can get "Volume 1" of whatever its sequeled to.
No idea, the first half (I believe) of Infiltration is the start of the story, which then goes into Stormbringer (hence Searchlight telling Prime that there's a situation on Earth for Prowl's detachment), and of course, by the end of Stormbringer Prime goes to Earth where he arrives at the end of Infiltration in his shiny new Earth truck form.

Perhaps they meant 'the second volume of trade paperbacks'.

No idea really, and I collect the IDW comic series. Maybe Infiltration is Volume 1, though Optimus Prime comes to Earth at the end of the book, so I would think Stormbringer occurs before or overlaps with events in Infiltration. I work at a bookstore and I know we have these in stock so I'll check out the numbering and see if I can figure out something.

Those new figures for the new animated show look interesting. I'm still holding judgement on the show until I actually see it. I don't agree with the animation style being used, but if the story is decent/good, it'll work for me. I initially hated WB Superman and Batman because I didn't like the animation style used, but the stories won me over and now I'm a big fan of those shows as well as Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.

No idea really, and I collect the IDW comic series. Maybe Infiltration is Volume 1, though Optimus Prime comes to Earth at the end of the book, so I would think Stormbringer occurs before or overlaps with events in Infiltration. I work at a bookstore and I know we have these in stock so I'll check out the numbering and see if I can figure out something.

Those new figures for the new animated show look interesting. I'm still holding judgement on the show until I actually see it. I don't agree with the animation style being used, but if the story is decent/good, it'll work for me. I initially hated WB Superman and Batman because I didn't like the animation style used, but the stories won me over and now I'm a big fan of those shows as well as Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.

enewsi.com has a clip from SDCC.

No need. Infiltration is book 1. I have it.

Plastic looks like plastic, but paint looks like paint. And metal objects in the real world are covered in paint. (Basic fact of modeling---in real life you can't tell if part of a car or plane is made of metal, carbon fiber, plastic, fiberglass or whatever just by looking at the painted surface--once it's covered in paint it's all the same)

Thus, no matter what it is--painting it well will make it look like the real thing. And this is a good example of that. Also the guy clearly either knows tanks, or looked at a lot of references--he has many small painted details that you couldn't simply guess at.

But the question is---will all that paint survive more than one transformation? (The main argument for leaving things in their raw plastic)

Beautiful, but can he move that hip turret? Not since the days of G1 Megatron have I......