...toynami Mpc More $$$ Than 1/48?

GutsAndCasca

I just looked on ebay under "toynami robotech" to see if toynami is selling those new valks that are uhm... 1/80 scale or something? Anyway. I turned up a bunch of "Ben Dixons" going for about 25 bucks. Okay, I got one for my kid at that price about 2 months ago. Then there was a Miria for 80 bucks, and a Max for 159 dollars I believe? 159 dollars? wtf? Yeah, I'll admit I have one. I have the whole damned Macross Saga collection, but no way in hell would I have paid that kinda' change.

Plus, ebay used to be saturated with MPC. Now there's only Ben? What the heck happened since I forgot about toynami and found yamato.

On that note... is Macross/Robotech gaining popularity in the USA or something? I'm not quite sure if I like that idea. I don't want toy prices to shoot through the roof.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

that is because

1. there are a lot of desperate robotechies out there.

2. when yamato sees a seller it releases it, rereleases it,rerereleases it. thus satasfying the demand. and lowering the value actually more like keeping it near initial sale price, there are exceptions though.

3. robotechies are being effectivly blocked by harmoney gold on their site from even talking about yammies. so they don know of the alternatives. but we still talk about mpcs here.

(guess that makes us better)

Edited by buddhafabio

Right. Toynami limited themselves to 15000 of each volume, so the supply has gone down, yet demand seems to still be there. Look at how much the 1/48 LV1 is going for now. When it came out, you could pick one up for $140-$150. Now they're going for 3x that amount. Pretty much the same with that Max you saw.... Roy was going for over $200 before the released the last couple thousand they had. Another good example is the bookends. Look at how much the Roy gets these days.

I'll be interested to see what happens after Shadow Chronicles. That might spark a buying spree by old fans of the series who forgot about it, until the new anime renews the interest in the series. That's what happenned to me. I saw Battlecry for XBox, then did a search on Ebay and discovered Yamato, then discovered this site, and my bank account has been reeling ever since.

Right.  Toynami limited themselves to 15000 of each volume, so the supply has gone down, yet demand seems to still be there.  Look at how much the 1/48 LV1 is going for now.  When it came out, you could pick one up for $140-$150.  Now they're going for 3x that amount.  Pretty much the same with that Max you saw....  Roy was going for over $200 before the released the last couple thousand they had.  Another good example is the bookends.  Look at how much the Roy gets these days.

I'll be interested to see what happens after Shadow Chronicles.  That might spark a buying spree by old fans of the series who forgot about it, until the new anime renews the interest in the series.  That's what happenned to me.  I saw Battlecry for XBox, then did a search on Ebay and discovered Yamato, then discovered this site, and my bank account has been reeling ever since.

408384[/snapback]

Holy crap! That's what happened to me. It went:

#1: Bought battlecry for Xbox because of childhood nostalgia

#2: 4 years later I get married and my wife buys me the robotech saga

#3: I become reunited with something I loved+didn't comprehend as a kid

#4: I start buying robotech crap offa' ebay (for me AND my kid). This leads to buying every macross film in existence

#5: I discover robotech.com... where to my utter disbelief, I find that I'm literally not allowed to type certain words, like "ebay." (wtf?)

#6: I buy my 1st 1/48 - then discover this site. (Paradise!)

#7: I'm a broke ass

it's good to be broke because then you appreciate what you have more and money. without tasting bitterness, you will never know the real taste of sweet. (something like that from crouching tiger hidden dragon) kyatsu :p

Technically, those fools at Robotech.com think the MPC is da bomb... <_< Of course some are disgruntled like me. I discovered the 1/60 25th Anniversary CF released by TRU Japan. I then got the DYRL 1/60s. I saw the 1/48s and saw how much they were going for so I decided to skip them. Then I saw the MPCs. Like an idiot, I was trying to get them but they got sold out at RT.com but I went to another place. Once it did come out, you cannot believe the disappointment on my face. They were subpar compared to the 1/60s. Then when the LV came out. I decided that this is the 1/48 to get thus leading to my fracking 106 1/48s. Since then I only collected 1/48s. Ok enough of my story... back to the question at hand.

Yes, it is going like hotcakes on ebay. They made the MPCs in limited numbers. Do not forget that some of the MPCs are broken as well so the limited numbers maybe smaller since some of those broken MPCs are trashed and what not. Once the MPCs go that high, I *may* just sell my MPC set. I sold my extras for a tidy profit a while back but now I wished I didnt but at the time I was pissed at Toynazi..err Toynami (That's it!). I completely converted to the 1/48s to probable disappointment to the collectors here since there is a scarcity of 1/48s like the original LV (some ppl blame me but I think they need to blame Lord Kungfu). People on RT.com have no clue about Macross Yammies and some do know but refuse to buy them because they are loyal to RT since they did make the Alpha and Beta but that may be my speculation.

I remember web forums where certain words or product names were taboo.

If you know HTML and the forum lets you use it you can post using little text sized pictures of the banned words instead of typing them. More so If you host your own web pictures you can use tem as oftern as you like untill they ban you. Cant remember if you can do this on the Rowboatheck forums its been years since I went there, it used to work on the Xbox forums untill I got perminantly banned. Ahh those were the days talking about moded xboxes and running linux on my moded box on a M$ website.

Edited by big F

Cant remember if you can do this on the Rowboatheck forums its been years since I went there, it used to work on the Xbox forums untill I got perminantly banned.

408465[/snapback]

nothing against you Big F. But why don't people just say robotech. Damn, its not like we dont know what the hell your talking about. Not that I like ROBOTECH, but I see everybody always trying to make a play on the name, and its just lame. Just put, I dont like robotech because robotech sucks. Very simple and less lame.

Lord K.

Wow, I have a similar story. When Battlecry was released, I was "reminded" of my childhood fondness for Robotech, found the website and when the MPC Valkyries were going to be released, was super hyped. I missed out on the initial offering and bought a Rick off of eBay for $125 - 2 months after the toy was released. When I got it, man, was I ever disappointed. Despite that, I still bought a Max MPC as well.

Then I found some 1/55 Bandai reissues at a store in Universal CityWalk, picked those up. I did see the Yamato 1/60s and 1/48s, but they were very expensive. Plus, at the time was pretty happy with the Bandai valkyries. Man, I wish I had bought a 1/48 sooner ... now I am hooked!!

Yamato 1/48 valyries rule all the way!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay guys, everyone repeat after me:

Macrossworld is a fansite made by fans, for fans.

Robotech.com is a commercial site, made by harmony gold to sell harmony gold merchandise.

How in the world can you possibly be upset at HG and RT.com for not wanting you to advertise their competition on their site designed to sell their goods? Be upset at the fact they shut down RT fansites (allegedly, I wouldn't know) but don't be upset at the fact they monitor their own site to make sure it's still accomplishing its mission. This means no "eBay" or "Yamato" or even "Bandai" talk on RT.com and that actually makes sense.

As to everything else, it's just a combo of each MPC being limited and that RT fans don't know about Yamato.

Edited by jenius

it's good to be broke because then you appreciate what you have more and money. without tasting bitterness, you will never know the real taste of sweet. (something like that from crouching tiger hidden dragon) kyatsu  :p

408441[/snapback]

hahah, you are right. My valks looks prettier everyday.

Okay guys, everyone repeat after me:

Macrossworld is a fansite made by fans, for fans.

Robotech.com is a commercial site, made by harmony gold to sell harmony gold merchandise.

How in the world can you possibly be upset at HG and RT.com for not wanting you to advertise their competition on their site designed to sell their goods?  Be upset at the fact they shut down RT fansites (allegedly, I wouldn't know) but don't be upset at the fact they monitor their own site to make sure it's still accomplishing its mission.  This means no "eBay" or "Yamato" or even "Bandai" talk on RT.com and that actually makes sense.

As to everything else, it's just a combo of each MPC being limited and that RT fans don't know about Yamato.

408529[/snapback]

Aesthetically I disagree. From a business vantage, yeah I get it. Sort of. If you go onto Robotech.com, you'll see that they have an entire section of vids that are Japanese with subtitles, like Super Dimension Fortress Macross, AND Mospaeda, AND Southern Crock Cavalry. Despite that there they are, selling the parents of their slave-spawn, you're still not allowed to discuss them at large. (?) That always made me tilt my head, like the stupid confused animal that I am.

Right, same with me too.. Battlecry was the gateway drug.

I bought my super-ultra-mega-deluxe game box the day it came out. And it reminded me of all those days I'd kick you in the shin if you tried to seperate me from my TV for a particular half hour.

On the side, after having bought some worthless gundam toy for my little brother (he's the one who wanted it), who was watching some G show on Cartoon network, it came with a free other toy of my choice (trying to dump stock or something) so I got some 'Trigun: Monev the Gale' and really liked the detail, so I eventually got into the figure collecting habit. One day while trying to figure out what would be the ultimate toy/figure I'd want to collect, it hit me like a low basement beam - Macross!!

I was shown Toynami (the name alone makes me cringe) masterpeices at the local collector's toystore, but I thought they were ugly as sin. (I can;t imagine anyone paying more then $35 for one) So, I figured, hey, I had the internet; I could become an isntant expert in no time.

That landed me on a little site in the middle of nowhere to start my reasearch; the 'Valkyire Exchange'

It changed my life... or at least my spending habits.

Anyway, that's how I also came to know harmony gold, and learn the kind of entity it and Robotech was. I haven't cared since.

To, me, paying $150 for an 'authentic collectible' of a licenced plagerism/perversion of someone else's work is a total joke.

Edited by Phren

Yes, I know I overpaid for the MPC Rick & Max valkyries .....

:(

** bows head in shame and looks at floor **

408617[/snapback]

*pats you on the back*

It's okay. I'll bet more people around here than we think are Toynami/HG victims. And definitely more people than would care to admit it! Look on the bright side though. You may have over-paid for your MPCs, but maybe in a few years they'll be so "collectable" due to their limited production, they'll be worth twice as much as you paid. (To anybody who hasn't discovered Yamato, that is.)

I'm shocked at the MPC armor prices. Man, how did I miss that? They were like $20 a piece when they came out for months (maybe years). Now they're sought after collectibles? WTF!

Course, if I were Toynami I would reissue them in a heartbeat. They could make some decent $$$ before demand dropped back down. Maybe they could license Yamato's Garland and box it as the RT movie mecha :rolleyes:

found macross world because of ebay searches. i had 3 valks arii 1 /100 models i bought. and i wanted to see what there was of macross/robotech. (which i learned of macross from living in japan) and i wanted bigger valks so i stumbled across mpcs and bandais and yammies. my first toy was a bandai because the mpcs looked too wierd and then i found mw world searching for more info on bandais.

Yes, I know I overpaid for the MPC Rick & Max valkyries .....

:(

** bows head in shame and looks at floor **

408617[/snapback]

*pats you on the back*

It's okay. I'll bet more people around here than we think are Toynami/HG victims. And definitely more people than would care to admit it! Look on the bright side though. You may have over-paid for your MPCs, but maybe in a few years they'll be so "collectable" due to their limited production, they'll be worth twice as much as you paid. (To anybody who hasn't discovered Yamato, that is.)

408631[/snapback]

Thanks for the support. :)

Yeah, I wish I had just started with the 1/48 Yamatos a few years back instead of the Toynami MPC ... but their $150 price point was a big hurdle to get over ... now, last month I dropped almost $200 for the super stealth!

:p

This loser *points at himself* ran out of spending cash right when the super stealth came out. I was lucky to get the VF0S. Now I am beginning to think that the super stealth is the coolest valk Yamato has released!

Ah, man,...

Just sit back and watch those RT geeks cry when their precious LTD Ed.

MPC gets a re-release

I put some beer cold just for the occasion

(ofcourse my comment will come back biting me in the @$$ when the LV gets a re-release)

Despite that there they are, selling the parents of their slave-spawn, you're still not allowed to discuss them at large. (?) That always made me tilt my head, like the stupid confused animal that I am.

Just a little correction here, you're wrong about RT.com. Not only can you discuss Macross, GCM and SDCSC but they have their own forum on that site just for those shows. There's threads in there about the originals that cover a variety of subjects although the fans there tend to be far less educated about the originals than they do over here. Point is, HG sells those goods and they have no problems letting people discuss them.

There are only two things HG doesn't want you discussing on their site

1) manufacturers of non-Robotech toys and the actual toys themselves. As long as you don't say Yamato, Bandai, Banpresto, or even Joons you'll be fine. Saying "My 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J is way better than my MPC" will also likely get your comment deleted. They don't want you guiding customers away to other products.

2) You can't mention where to get things. This has to make sense to everyone. You can't say "Wow, MPCs go for way cheaper on eBay" because it destroys the entire point of their website.

Now, both of these rules do get enforced to a ridiculous extreme. For example, say someone says "Can you tell me where I can find a classic Robotech toy?" Well, there are no classic RT toys for sale at RT.com so you'd think it might be okay to say "Yeah, go to Rob's classic toy hut in Guam" but HG doesn't allow that because you're directing the person away from RT.com... even though they don't sell what the person is looking for.

Despite that there they are, selling the parents of their slave-spawn, you're still not allowed to discuss them at large. (?) That always made me tilt my head, like the stupid confused animal that I am.

Just a little correction here, you're wrong about RT.com. Not only can you discuss Macross, GCM and SDCSC but they have their own forum on that site just for those shows. There's threads in there about the originals that cover a variety of subjects although the fans there tend to be far less educated about the originals than they do over here. Point is, HG sells those goods and they have no problems letting people discuss them.

There are only two things HG doesn't want you discussing on their site

1) manufacturers of non-Robotech toys and the actual toys themselves. As long as you don't say Yamato, Bandai, Banpresto, or even Joons you'll be fine. Saying "My 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J is way better than my MPC" will also likely get your comment deleted. They don't want you guiding customers away to other products.

2) You can't mention where to get things. This has to make sense to everyone. You can't say "Wow, MPCs go for way cheaper on eBay" because it destroys the entire point of their website.

Now, both of these rules do get enforced to a ridiculous extreme. For example, say someone says "Can you tell me where I can find a classic Robotech toy?" Well, there are no classic RT toys for sale at RT.com so you'd think it might be okay to say "Yeah, go to Rob's classic toy hut in Guam" but HG doesn't allow that because you're directing the person away from RT.com... even though they don't sell what the person is looking for.

409046[/snapback]

See thats kind of the problem, you can talk about it, but you cant get info on how to own it.

No, you can talk about the SHOWS and you can buy the shows at RT.com, you can not talk about the TOYS or where to buy them.  That's it.

409080[/snapback]

That was my point.

I guess since the entire purpose of me signing up at Robotech.com was to find out the best way to obtain Robotech/Macross toys and collectibles, I had a bad (really bad) experience. Like every sentence I typed I did something wrong - which caused me to find this site. Being the dickhead that I am I kept making comments like "I'm not allowed to talk about (BLANK)? What kind of crap is this?" and then some RT.com veteran would be like "Shhh! You can't ask about stuff like that!" Repeat this process.

I understand why they police their site about the toys issue... they gotta' find a way to make some $$$ somehow. But I swear, if I was running their show, I'd buy up a bunch of vintange toys somewhere and then sell them for incredibly rip off prices at RT.com - their prices are already pretty rip off as it stands.

As for Macrossworld.com (my fave site period), the only time I've gotten in trouble here was from some admin who I honestly can't remember his name after I offered up for sale/trade a package of frozen organic hotdogs. I was being totally serious too! 'Still have the hotdogs in my freezer. I guess I should just go ahead and eat them.

Selling the hot dogs is one thing. But what I'm really curious about is how do you get them to the buyer without them spoiling?

UPS? DHL?

409216[/snapback]

Well, I was thinking I could just pack them in ice, and ship it next day air.

UPS!!!... does UPS have next day air?

Edited by GutsAndCasca