Remembering your first valk

BoBe-Patt

Wow, seems like most people here had jetfire as their first valks. I'm guessing if jetfire were ever to be reissued, everybody would get one? I know I would. I'd probably just buy two.  :p  :D  :lol:

Not me, I couldn't care less about Jetfire. For me, he was always a Valkyrie copy and I was only briefly interested in getting a Jetfire on eBay as a cheap, well-made transforming Valkyrie. Then I got a Bandai reissue.

I don't remember whether I saw any Transformers and Gobots before I ever saw Robotech, but they seemed childish and never appealed to me. (I was 19 years old in 1985. Talking transforming trucks didn't do anything for me, but teenage angst and global destruction were both pretty relevant...)

first... bobe- I know I would buy a few. As always it would depend on the price. Heck, I'm at 8 now and with a few more parts might make my cut-off of ten soon... but a convinient stack of ten re-issue jetfires would be an entirely different cutoff :lol:

As for ewilen and all the others, who don't appreciate the moment of glory some children had when they realized the coolest stupid talking robot they had was actually a valk, can feel free to send them to me where I will hold them and pet them and squeeze them and call them george :rolleyes:

I had jetfire as a kid, as well as some mocross toys but as I lived in the sticks I never even had the chance to see, much less get, even a JM! I had a invid shock, hover tank, and tactical pod back then. I never even got to see an officers pod [say marauder boys and girls] in stock anywhere. The only "valk" I knew was jetfire besides two really cool ones I saw once in a store in boston there wasn't a chance my parents would spring for at $80 a pop. I found out later they were the the ostrich and seeker.

About a year ago I found macross world and renewed my love with it tracking down the missing armor for a jetfire a friend in hard times pawned me to replace the one lost in my childhood. I started buying macross again at what seems the best time as it was right when the re-issues came out. I managed to get a few additional jetfires for cheap with armor, which to me were super valks anyway, and eventually I got some re-issues which were transformed once and shelved. My first non 1f were the bandai 17 and 19 which I promptly sold and bought more 1f's. Then I got a 19a in a trade and I guess that is my first true valk as it is a pure image of non jetfire jaded beauty that has no other mental connentations other than itself. Truely a work of art. The 21 was nice as well -thanks david.

Now I have more macross stuff and robotech crap than anyone in their right mind could justify, besides perhaps graham :lol: . Lets just say that my obsessive personality has taken it above and beyond the bounds of good taste. Look for some interesting posts in the future. Here's a quick question for you all... where do you conveniently store an arnmy? Anwer will appear in army topic when I resize the damn pic :lol:

It is nice to find out there are people older than me here though :lol: . Growing up when disco was cool was a lonely existance for anyone with a brain :blink:

and for valkyrie312 who inquired about getting a house and a wife... good luck with that :blink: .I'd recommend getting the house first and putting it in your name, but thats just me. At the very least I'd recommend living together in some capacity before marriage. They say that over 50% of the people who live together before marriage don't get married, but they always forget to point out that they don't get divorced either :unsure: . I was engaged for 5 years to my now wife, and we still have issues. At least we have been through enough crap to know that we are both willing to work towards improvement.

Oh yeah... never trust something that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die :ph34r:

My mother, god rest her soul, bought me a Takatoku VF-1S from the local comic shop back in '89 or so. I remember that evening well....playing with my snappity-clickety new VF-1S while watching the premiere of Bon Jovi's "Bad Medicine" video, featuring Sam Kinison.......

first... bobe- I know I would buy a few. As always it would depend on the price. Heck, I'm at 8 now and with a few more parts might make my cut-off of ten soon... but a convinient stack of ten re-issue jetfires would be an entirely different cutoff :lol:

Man, now how did I know that you would be the first one to say that you'll definitly be picking up a jetfire if it was reissued? I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first person to get one! And you said you'd pick up ten? Good lord. You are trying to build an army aren't you? :p:D:lol:

Actually, I just remembered that my first Valk was a small plastic piece of crap that could transform. It was red and blue and I got it at the swapmeet. Wish I could remember who made it. :blink:

could it be one of those bootleg plastic transforming ones? They were like 4" tall I think. Crappy pieces indeed! :p:D:lol:

It is nice to find out there are people older than me here though :lol: . Growing up when disco was cool was a lonely existance for anyone with a brain :blink:

Yes, I hated disco, so, so much. But now that it's not cool, I can finally appreciate some of the classics. It helps to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert...

(Yes, that's Elrond. And I'll bet you thought he was the King of the Elves!)

Yes, I hated disco, so, so much. But now that it's not cool, I can finally appreciate some of the classics. It helps to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert...

(Yes, that's Elrond. And I'll bet you thought he was the King of the Elves!)

Hey, I saw that movie. Funky @$$ movie though. Funny part was when that asian lady popped those ping pong balls out of her you know what! :p:D:lol:

This is going to sound insane, but the first part of a valk I got was 2 broken arms from a Jetfire. Then I got an old busted broken shoulders Jetfire for 15.00 bucks(which is now a VF-1S). I still keep it as a symbol of Macross hunger. Then i got a 1/72 Imai Variable, which I still have. The year was 1987. I remember I was listening to Guns n' Roses back then!

vic.

Mine was a small transforming one of Hikaru that had a Pencil sharpener in the back.

OMG, I got one of those too. That thing was super crappy. Can't believe I actually played with that thing. Yes I did played with it, so what! :lol:

vic.

My first valk was a takatoku VF-1S which I picked up at a local store in Greece, around 1983 I think.

It was really lucky of me since this toy store was "smuggling" toys from japan, so you wouldn't be able to find this toy anywhere elase in Greece.

Anyhow I played with it constantly until it totally broke about 1990 or 1991. :(

awww, what? this is it? What happened to the rest of you? What, you forgot your first valk? Shame on you!! If it wasn't for that first valk, you wouldn't be where you are right now with a ton of valks. Come on you big gunners, tell us what your first valks were! :p:D:lol:

Like many others here, my first valk was a Jetfire. My first "real" valk was a Bandai VE-1 :D (that came with Jetfire armor :angry: ). Many years later I came across a badly painted Joons in a local hobby shop. Although the Joons paled in comparision to Bandai valks, discovering it filled my heart with joy! I always thought I would one day spend hundreds of dollars (or more) on a Bandai VF1S Strike Valk. It was a dream I had since childhood! Fortunately, quality valks of all shapes and sizes have become widely available today. I still don't have a Bandai 1S Strike Valk, but I do have a Yamato 1/48 1S Strike Valk B) ! And it all began with a Jetfire and a VE-1.

The first "Valkyrie" I ever came into contact with was my brother's Jetfire. The first Valkyrie, that I could truly call my own, was a 1/100 VF-1J variable bootleg that was given to me in 1986. It was a pretty sweet toy, my mom had gotten it for me in one of those giftshops in Miami's aiport.

My first valk was a VF-1J takatoku. At that time, Robotech hadn't come out in the US yet. I bought it from Toys International in South Coast Plaza for like 20 bucks. I thought it was the coolest toy ever. My love for Macross started with the toy before I even knew there was a show. I remember breaking the ears off my VF-1J while transforming it. I tried desperately to fix it with superglue to no avail. I even tried to drill little hole and stick a piece of paperclip inside to hold it but that didn't work. Man...I played the crap out of that toy. My second valk was a VF-1S Strike Valk. And my third was the Takatoku Super Valk. My lil cousin broke off the tab from the leg armor, and I remember coming home from school and bawling like a little biatch. Man I LOVED VALKS or as I knew them as VERITECH FIGHTERS! at the time.

first valk.

Takatoku 1/100 VF-1S.

play and play and play till the chest plate fell off :lol:

tried to repair it but my mom threw it away cos she expected me to study instead of playing during the examination period.

well, due to good results, i received a Takatoku 1/55 VF-1S! :lol:

and it has become a Max1S today :rolleyes: .......after 20 years......

Okay, if we are talking about "non-transformable" valks, my first was the Arii VF-1J Battroid and Millia VF-1J Gerwalk.

As far as transformable, it was the VF-1J Rick MPC 1/55. I always wanted a fully transformable Veritech/Valkyrie, and when I finally got it, I was in heaven!

My first Yamato was the VF-1A Cannon Fodder 1/60.

The first valk I ever owned in my entire life was the Yamato 1/48 Max VF-1A

hehe, what a way to start a collection, eh? :p:D:lol:

My first valk was the Bandai VF1-S Super Valkyrie of 1984 (the european one). Got it as a gift from my mother for working hard in school. Sweet memories. :rolleyes: He is still in good shape but near "naked" cause stickers have been removed.

Edited by TheFrenchOne

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I know there's more of you out there to share their story! Come on now peeps! This is a time to sit back and reminisce about how it all started........ :p:D:lol:

I don't remember the box and which brand it was, probably a Bandai, bought in 1987 on the marketplace. It was a 1/55 VF-1S and I immediately called it the chief mecha of my toy/army collection. :lol:

Later on I bought some kits of a Regult and a VF-1A brownie in Gerwalk position, built and painted it as good as I could and played with it. The regult lost it's legs soon and I used it as my last defender. I don't know the scaled of these kits, but they were pretty big, especially the Brownie Gerwalk. :)

All of these toys were lost when we moved to another home; my father gave them all away to the neighbourhood kids, but I didn't really complain. Guess those were the puberty years when the toys were discarded... Too bad... :(

In the early nineties, I don't remember exactly, I bought a Bandai reissue 1/55 VF-1S Super Valkyrie during my vacation in Turkey. I think I was still missing my ol' valk and wanted to replace it. This one was priced for about US$12.50!!!

It still stands here behind me on top of a bookshelf, some stickers aren't even applied yet but the projectiles are loose, the only one that is displayed because there is no other room for my other recently acquired Yamato's and poseables. I should clean up my place...

Well, My firts Valk i got back in the 80's i can tell for sure the year so i just said that Macross was being aired here in the US and back in my home at the time (Monterrey, Mexico)

In Houston, Tx my aun took us to a store in Little York Ave (now the store is near the Sam Houson Tollway Intersection), i remembered that when i got in the store it was full of the Revell Models and Some Bandai Toys, My Aunt is a big time shopper and even that the store was a small one i spent at least an hour looking at the boxes and running around showing them to my Mom and see if she get me one, Men, Every time i got pass thru there i wish i can get a time machine and get all of those good ol' toys they had back then. :rolleyes:

I ended up with a Small Valk, not a jetfire but i remember it transformed pretty good.

Years later, I bought from a friend in need a Jetfire and he gave me also some of the Bandai Destroids (the small 4 in. ones)

He also had an original (english box) Gakken Motorcicle thing from Robotech, it was mint, but i never get it from him since i was not intrested in Mospeada :blink:

The only thing that wakes me up at night is every time i remember when i was in Mexico and my parents asking me to get a Valkyrie, since they were so cheap (I presume they were either bandai or takatoku), and i say no since i was hook on Star Wars and Transformes as well, and want it to complete those collection first. :(

Edited by ObiJ

My first valk I played with was Jetfire like most of you. I never owned one but I would like to have. Then I had this stupis little valk. Not really a valk mind you. Stupid plastic junk. Then I bought the the 1/60 TRU CF. that was my first valk. Then I bought the MPC. I regret I bought the MPCs... :( especially when I compare them to the 1/48.

:huh: well, 1984 summer I had gotten myself a bandai vf-1a and a takatoku vf-1j. I played with theem sooo much that I wore them both out at the jonts... but, yeah :p these were my two vf's, all in all, I wanted to have have a vf-1s super armored pack version. And then, Yamato came out with their 1/48's...I was S O L D on the heat shield. :D:blink::huh::unsure::blink:

post-4-1066614535_thumb.jpg

This story may bring tears to others as it has done to me, but I will tell it anyway................

Around '89 my brother and I take a trip to the famous "MR. BIG TOYLAND" to bring back memories of going there with my father and getting Shoguns. Low and behold we come across many Takatoku Valkyries. With only limited funds on hand, we decide to walk away with 4 items:

1/100 VF-1A Production...........1/100 VF-1J Hikaru.............1/100 VF-1S Fokker..............1/3000 SDF-1

The Valks were just slightly less than new and were a measely $20 each!! And I believe the SDF-1 set us back $60. Here's the tear jerker...........they had 1/55s there also starting at $40 each.........including the VE-1!! ( I also swear I saw a VT-1 or VF-1D, although I think there are only so many in existance).

Because we were only familiar with Robotech, we opted for the familiar valks as well as the idea of getting 3 of them. When I found chatrooms and eBay a decade later...........I needed de-fib paddles!!!

I still have these tucked away and although I strayed to the world of Gundam, I have recently had the "gotta-haves" with these Yamatos coming out of the woodwork.

I'm glad I could share........

• 2 months later...

my first one was a 1/60 Yamato Super VF-1J Hikaru, it now rests beside my Low Vis in a crashed position.

by the way, Grand Cannon, pics in sigs on MW is....i guess the right way to put it is frowned upon.