Is anybody getting the Aoshima Dropship

I just purchased the Aliens 1/72 scale, diecast UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship with the APC. I was wondering if anyone here got this bird and can comment on it. I've always been a huge fan of the Cheyenne and I just can't wait to put my hands on this one.

Here's a few pictures (not mine)

DROPSHIP-05.JPG

DROPSHIP-12.JPG

DROPSHIP-13.JPG

DROPSHIP-23.JPG

I must say the end result has certainly warmed me to the product. It is a tad expensive and the missile racks aren't exactly what I'd hoped for, but the pictures of the final version are very impressive. I like the details and the look of the machine. Very nice.

Ordered the Dropship and the APC. Can't wait. This has given me the urge to read through the Colonial Marines Technical Manual again. Fantastic book. If you're an Aliens fan and you don't own it, you're really missing out.

Ordered the Dropship and the APC.  Can't wait.  This has given me the urge to read through the Colonial Marines Technical Manual again.  Fantastic book.  If you're an Aliens fan and you don't own it, you're really missing out.

313136[/snapback]

What's in it?

Edited by Gaijin

What's in it?

The Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual is a book that focuses on the marines and their equipment from the movie. It's really interesting. The book talks about the guns, vehicles and equipment you see in the movie (and some you didn't. It has a lot of Extended Universe stuff too). It's considered by many to be the Aliens Bible. Unfortunately, it's been out of print for years and it's usually not that cheap (they're around $50). If you can find one, I highly recommend it.

Well VT 1010 is basically right about the book. Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual is basically all about the USCMC from the movie Aliens. It contains numerous full color photos of the props and large photos of the full sized mock-ups; including the actual working APC from the film. You'll also find large cross section drawings of the UD-4L Dropship and the USS Sulaco, as well as three-view schematics of the UD-4L Dropship, USS Sulaco, and the M577 APC. While the focus is on the three most prominent pieces of military hardware we see in the films, the book also features details on the extended universe equpiment of the USCMC, including sniper rifles, rocket launchers, tanks, space suits, and more. There are also pictures and scehmatics on synthetics and power loaders.

What seperates this book from most other fan books is the thought and effort that went into creating the descriptive text and technical analysis. The book goes into detail you'd find in modern military texts, talking about everything from design purpose, limitations, logistics, cost, effectiveness, combined arms, and all the factors of military hardware you'd expect to see considered in a proper dossier. While it's not flawless, author Lee Brimmicombe-Wood presents a work which is on par with fictional technical authors like Curtis Saxton and is about the best a fan can ever expect from this franchise.

As has been mentioned before, the book is somewhat hard to find. The Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual was published in 1996, a decade after the 1986 film and well past time the popular culture hype had disappeared from public notice. As a result, it had a relatively low initial print run. I personally wasn't even aware the book existed until the late 1990's, mostly thanks to internet access and investigation on my part. It is no longer in print and you must find it via eBay, various online new&used traders, and used books stores. However, I only purchased my copy (in near-mint condition) about two years back, so you can still obtain it.

Here's a link to the details

Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual

Edited by Mr March

I bought my copy off the shelf of a Mall store bookseller in the late '90s in San Antonio. It sat on that shelf for months and I remember pulling it out and leafing through it a few times before buying it. It for some reason was jammed in with the D&D and Role Playing books. I still have it somewhere in a box with tons of my other books, I'll have to pull it out and read it again... it's been a while.

Oh and Bsu SEND ME THOSE PAGES! :lol:

The Dropship is an excellent display model, I got the 02 limited version. The detailing is top notch and the swing-open wings are very sturdy. Only minor downsides:

1. The landing gears do not retract. Separate 'closed' and 'deployed' gears are provided. This is probably due to the weight of the craft.

2. Cockpit is empty (understandable... but still, no Bishop!) and does not open.

3. With the APC loaded, its weight makes the ramp work smoothly, but sometimes the 4 arms will still catch on the slots inside the bay. Ramp works poorly when not loaded.

4. For the miniature figurines, whether Aliens or Marines, detailing is probably as good as it gets for such tiny figs - but are are basically PVC throwaways. Even the Queen.

5. The APC should have been included! It's way too expensive sold separately.

Whoa! "Missing pages"? I have to know what those are!

My guess would be the articles in Aliens magazine that was done by the author of the technical manual. Am I correct bsu legato? BTW, are those the same ones that were posted on The Alien Legacy board?

Also, I almost forgot, there's a place somewhere (I can't remember where) that has most of (can't remember if it had all the pages either...) technical manual for download. If anybody wants, I can try to dig up the link out of my long list of favorites.

The Dropship is an excellent display model, I got the 02 limited version. The detailing is top notch and the swing-open wings are very sturdy. Only minor downsides:

1. The landing gears do not retract. Separate 'closed' and 'deployed' gears are provided. This is probably due to the weight of the craft.

2. Cockpit is empty (understandable... but still,  no Bishop!) and does not open.

3. With the APC loaded, its weight makes the ramp work smoothly, but sometimes the 4 arms will still catch on the slots inside the bay. Ramp works poorly when not loaded.

4. For the miniature figurines, whether Aliens or Marines, detailing is probably as good as it gets for such tiny figs - but are are basically PVC throwaways. Even the Queen.

5. The APC should have been included! It's way too expensive sold separately.

313356[/snapback]

I'm okay with part swapping the Landing Skids. It would have been difficult to make gear that could support such a large diecast piece.

Even from the limited pictures available on HLJ, it was clear the figures lacked any significant detail. Especially the small marine figures.

I agree that this Dropship and APC is way too overpriced. As impressive as they are, they simply lack the detail one would expect to find in such an expensive product. For the kind of money you pay, the landing gear should be built-in for both retractable/extended modes, the APC should be included, the cockpit/pilot should be accessible, etc. Problem is, there just isn't any other option if you want a dropship. The old Halcyon model is way too delicate, the customs are too few, and this is about the only non-model version of which I'm aware (it's also the best looking I've ever seen). So like my Yamato Valkyrie, Aliens Tech Manual, and all my other small, meaningful but unique products, I'll have to shell out the cash to get this ship cause the time between such product releases are decades and I don't have the time to wait that long.

Edited by Mr March

okay, what are the differences between 01 and 02 exactly? my 02 is clean, has no pilot figures and comes with an alien queen.

313549[/snapback]

Hmmm, I'd like to know this as well. I wasn't aware there was any significant differences, at least not as advertisied on any of the websites selling the dropships.

okay, what are the differences between 01 and 02 exactly? my 02 is clean, has no pilot figures and comes with an alien queen.

313549[/snapback]

that's pretty much the difference... 01 is weathered and has a pilot.

From what I have seen 01 is the Bug Stomper cheyenne with the APC that the marines fly down to LV-426. It is weathered because it is the primary service ship and it has had a few drops under it's wings. As we all know a critter gets aboard and eats Spunkmeyer then rips the head off of Ferro and the 01 Bug Stomper goes loose and smashes into the side of the Atmosphere Processor, hitting the derilict APC in the process. (This is the point Hudson says "Game over man! Game over!" :p)

The 02 Smartass cheyenne has no APC and it is stored in the Sulaco as the secondary back up dropper, hence why it is "brand new". This is the ship Bishop remote activates, preps and brings down to rescue them and is the same ship that secapes the atmosphere processor when it becomes a cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska.

From what I have seen of the two different toys they are quite accurate to these two cheyennes, sporting painted on Bug Stomper and Smartass decco. The Smartass even comes with the Queen, who stows abord in the rear gear bay. I just wish the Queen would have come with a tiny Bishop pilot that cut in half and that the Bug Stomper would have a little Ferro and Spunkmeyer.

These are differences between the two version

Limited Dropship (02) clean paint job, with alien queen figure, no pilot

Limited APC, clean paint job, with alien warrior figure

Regular Dropship (01) weathered paint job, with pilot

REgular APC, clean paint job, with couple marine figures

Hope this help :D

From what I have seen 01 is the Bug Stomper cheyenne with the APC that the marines fly down to LV-426. It is weathered because it is the primary service ship and it has had a few drops under it's wings. As we all know a critter gets aboard and eats Spunkmeyer then rips the head off of Ferro and the 01 Bug Stomper goes loose and smashes into the side of the Atmosphere Processor, hitting the derilict APC in the process. (This is the point Hudson says "Game over man! Game over!" :p)

The 02 Smartass cheyenne has no APC and it is stored in the Sulaco as the secondary back up dropper, hence why it is "brand new". This is the ship Bishop remote activates, preps and brings down to rescue them and is the same ship that secapes the atmosphere processor when it becomes a cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska.

From what I have seen of the two different toys they are quite accurate to these two cheyennes, sporting painted on Bug Stomper and Smartass decco. The Smartass even comes with the Queen, who stows abord in the rear gear bay. I just wish the Queen would have come with a tiny Bishop pilot that cut in half and that the Bug Stomper would have a little Ferro and Spunkmeyer.

313616[/snapback]

Makes sense. I like the attention that Aoshima paid to the film making these dropships. I have a friend who is just as big a fan of the Aliens series as I am. I'm gonna consider buying him a dropship for his birthday and I'll get him Unit 01. Thanks JsARCLIGHT

Wow! You reminded me of the injection molded model kit I bought of the drop ship many moons ago. I started it, but never finished! It's somewhere in my stash of un-built models.

Now if I can only get my hands on this, I can keep postponing my completing of my plastic replica!

313616[/snapback]

Makes sense. I like the attention that Aoshima paid to the film making these dropships. I have a friend who is just as big a fan of the Aliens series as I am. I'm gonna consider buying him a dropship for his birthday and I'll get him Unit 01. Thanks JsARCLIGHT

313626[/snapback]

Still with all the attention they paid, you think they would have added a little bishop into the cockpit.

Or at least given the Bug Stomper Ferro and Spunkmeyer... does the 01 pilot even look like a little Ferro?

313687[/snapback]

Given the lack of detail with the marine and alien figures, I doubt there's any resemblance with the possible exception of the pilot's outfit.

Edited by Mr March

I wish they would have made the dropper big enough to have a little Ferro with "Fly the Friendly Skies" on her helmet. At least give her character a bit more exposure... she lasted all of ten minutes in the film.  :p

313900[/snapback]

Such is to be the fate of the flat character in a horror flick :)

I wish they would have made the dropper big enough to have a little Ferro with "Fly the Friendly Skies" on her helmet. At least give her character a bit more exposure... she lasted all of ten minutes in the film.  :p

313900[/snapback]

what would really be awsome would be a 1/12 drop ship with a full crew. Radio controlled flight mode, real launching missiles and special explosion action :lol: