Nice companion. THough I wonder if they will ever settle the whole River Song storyline that got started, I do want to see some closure there, maybe if they do do the movie that is what they will cover, but that will require people to know the story going in. My own theory on River Song right now is that she might be another granddaughter, produced as the offspring of Jenny and wait for it, the Face of Bo, aka Captain Jack.

Nice companion.

Agreed, she does look nice.

Sorry though, I have to get this out of my system....

"AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! THE NEW COMPANIONS A RANGA!!!!!!!!!!

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

If you're using "Ranga" as the term I think you are [1], as opposed to some obscure Doctor Who species, the last companion was also one... :lol:

Knight26 - Stephen Moffat, who wrote "The Silence in the Library" is now the series producer for the Matt Smith Who, so its entirely possible we will see her again. Personally, though, I wouldn't mind if they don't - its nice to leave some things to the imagiantion sometimes (this is also the reason why The Time War has also always been referred to, rather than seen - I think Russell T. Davis said that any visual depiction would never match expectation; of course, they could just be saving it all up for a movie... :) [2])

[1] When did the kids stop speaka my language?

[2] If they did decide to do that, I'd love them to use the Doctors line from "Gridlock" as the tagline - "They lost. Everyone lost... "

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Good to finally see the new companion, although I don't know enough about her to form any opinions beyond what she looks like. I was unsure about Matt Smith for a while, but I watched an interview with him on the BBC website and he seems like a really cool guy, and now I'm looking forward to him. It's weird....I'm looking forward to the Matt Smith doctor, yet I'm not looking forward to seeing Tennant go, and on top of that I still miss Eccleston and wish there was some way he could come back. *head explodes*

• 1 month later...

So how are all the other Doctor Who fans travelling this year with little/no Doctor? Personally, I am finding it to be quite annoying, especially with the prospect of having to wait still longer for a new ep.

Taksraven

We're surviving. Particularly because the Torchwood five part serial "Children of Earth" is currently running all this week in the UK. :)

Also, if a leaked shot I saw the other day of a possible cast for one of the spoilers is actually a real image... yes, the wait will probably have been worth it. :)

We're surviving. Particularly because the Torchwood five part serial "Children of Earth" is currently running all this week in the UK. :)

Also, if a leaked shot I saw the other day of a possible cast for one of the spoilers is actually a real image... yes, the wait will probably have been worth it. :)

Any chance you can post the link to that?

Cheers.

Any chance you can post the link to that?

Cheers.

Here is the link that I think he is talking about.....

WARNING = ONLY LOOK AT THIS LINK IF YOU DON'T MIND SEEING A POTENTIALLY MASSIVE SPOILER ABOUT THE NEW SERIES.

DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU LOOK AND IT SPOILS THE SURPRISE.....

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....

http://io9.com/5291509/your-first-look-at-...big-guest-stars

Taksraven

I freaking knew it. I've had this theory for a while, but did not voice it, but here goes. The cast lists for the final episodes include

Donna and her family. My theory is that the Dr-Donna somehow slowly emerges and decides to create a gift for the doctor before she burns out. What is that gift you ask? She builds a Tardis and enters the time war. Then she convinces a number of other time lords to join her and enter a genesis ark in order to allow some time lords to escape the war. The down point is that this paradox she creates allows some Daleks to escape as well. She then sends the genesis ark to a planet "new galifrey" which has been constructed by... the Ood. In my idea though it becomes a massive crossover where the genesis ark was hidden at Torchwood with Jack for a while and the Doctor is what activates it. Of course my idea also had a multi-doctor crossover, but that won't happen.

Be interesting to see if something like that happens.

Edited by Knight26

I'm getting through this "light on the Doctor" year by watching the Torchwood series for the first time. Most of the way through Season 1, have Season 2 on the way and will find some way to watch the 2009 miniseries or whatever it is.

I'm liking Torchwood so far. I have to say I'm surprised how much Captain Jack grew on me in Doctor Who. The first few times he came around I couldn't stand the guy, but now I really like him. The only thing I don't like about Torchwood so far is the 'adult drama' aspect of it, where they cram in 'scandals' to make people say, "Like, OMG, I can't believe so and so is sleeping with so and so! GASP!" I just don't find that sort of thing very interesting. I really don't care who is snogging/shagging who in the show. Regardless, Torchwood is pretty damn enjoyable and I'm excited for the next season(s).

While I've got plenty to keep me entertained, it's still hard to stomach just how long it's going to be before I'll be able to sit down and watch the first Matt Smith season of Doctor Who on DVD...

Incidentally, the Torchwood "Children of Earth" serial is doing very well, ratings wise - about six million viewers, which significantly hasn't altered much for each episode. For comparison, regular Who averages between about eight to ten million. It has also got very good write-ups in the newspapers. John Barrowman was complaining recently that he felt the lack of a full series seemed like a punishment from the BBC, but I feel he might be wrong on this one - two or three serials like this through a year might actually suit Torchwoods format better.

Without trying to spoil things, the series feels very 50s British SF - all dark government cover-ups involving off-world threats. Theres a very Quatermass feel to it...

I was thinking about a potential twist to the end of CoE:

The beginning of the first episode introduced us to the "Hitchhiker", the creature that Gwen later tells the young doctor "anyone could be carrying".

It almost seems like a set up for the revelation that she is not in fact pregnant, but carrying a hitchhiker. The psychic may have just interpreted the hitcher as Gwen being pregnant and the scanner simply registered a red dot as new life. Hmmmmmmmm.

Just a thought.

Also, my browser simply shuts down when i try to link to the potential cast photo. Could someone just list the names in spoiler tags? Cheers.

Edited by Alex

"We want 10% of your children"

Sure you can have my neighbours kids for starters, oh and the football they kick over into my garden is free.

The question is for what ?? Tasty kibble-kiddie snacks or to wipe their noses of that snot the keep spewing on the windows ?

Edited by big F

"We want 10% of your children"

Sure you can have my neighbours kids for starters, oh and the football they kick over into my garden is free.

The question is for what ?? Tasty kibble-kiddie snacks or to wipe their noses of that snot the keep spewing on the windows ?

big F - you might want to watch the spoilers a touch. I know our cousins across the pond usually get the good stuff before us, but... :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

big F - you might want to watch the spoilers a touch. I know our cousins across the pond usually get the good stuff before us, but... :lol:

Yup sorry bout that U.S bretherin. Thread fixed now though. :)

Its okay, I think we've all done it at some point... :)

The last episode has just finished. I'm frankly at a bit of a loss for words; I think I can only say it was incredibly good. And, emotionally, also like getting punched in the stomach repeatedly by someone you love.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Does any one know if BBC America will air episodes of torchwood from series/season 1?

When BBC America started on my local cable provider/COX it was not on basic cable we had to pay for the hole tier in order to get it, but now it is on basic cable will that continue when it goes HD, or are they just giving it to us as a tease?

When I was watching the resent episode of torchwood on BBC America

When Capitan Jack landed in England a hundred years ago and discovered he cant die, and worked for torchwood he found out that he would have to wait a hundred years to find the Doctor why did he forget that He himself was in England in 1940 during the Blitz when he First met the Doctor and Rose why did he not try to stop the hole thing from starting if he wanted to die.

Edited by miles316

Y'know, something I kind of missed from Torchwood was any allusion to the fact that they were supported by the crown. Unless I missed something in an earlier episode, you never get the feeling that the Queen is looking over their shoulders.

Edited by Alex

When I was watching the resent episode of torchwood on BBC America

When Capitan Jack landed in England a hundred years ago and discovered he cant die, and worked for torchwood he found out that he would have to wait a hundred years to find the Doctor why did he forget that He himself was in England in 1940 during the Blitz when he First met the Doctor and Rose why did he not try to stop the hole thing from starting if he wanted to die.

don't read if you don't want to get spoiled for the season that just ended.

I don't think Jack wanted to mess with the timeline too much. in a future episode, he also ends up in the past because of his brother and when torchwood people found him, he asked them to freeze him until the time is right

See, i'm very interested in how the hell

they are going to come back with a new series after the events of CoE.

I really hope that Ianto is somehow brought back but also can't think of any way which they could accomplish this without it being very cliched.

And what could bring Jack back to Earth after the death of both his lover and his grandson........directly and indirectly because of him.

Damn, The writers did a great job here. I was fully expecting a standard Torchwood. I think that this mini-series was really the arrival of this show for me.

Edited by Alex

Holy crap, I was sitting here wondering just when and how I would be able to watch Children of Earth and I noticed on NetFlix and Amazon that the DVD is being released this month (7/28)! Isn't it a bit unusual for a DVD to be released that soon after broadcast? Whatever the case may be, I'm certainly not complaining. :)

Children of Earth has proved very successful given its format, which might explain the rush DVD release. Also, theres a feeling among some UK fans that it was possibly intended to see off the Torchwood spin-off but that the generally rave reviews and relatively good viewing figures might force a re-think.

I'd asumed that since Torchwood 1 was already down and out after the Dalek and Cybermen episode, I always though that Torchwood run by just 5 people was kinda just hanging in there, dead but just not knowing it.

Then as they gradually reduced the staff levels 1 by 1 I had the feeling they would kill it off. Now they have no base of operations unless you count the cow shed/warehouse and 1 member of staff, maybe they need a massive recruitment drive, or just merge with SarahJane and her mysteries.

I'd asumed that since Torchwood 1 was already down and out after the Dalek and Cybermen episode, I always though that Torchwood run by just 5 people was kinda just hanging in there, dead but just not knowing it.

Then as they gradually reduced the staff levels 1 by 1 I had the feeling they would kill it off. Now they have no base of operations unless you count the cow shed/warehouse and 1 member of staff, maybe they need a massive recruitment drive, or just merge with SarahJane and her mysteries.

Was it the Canary wharf disaster that did in Torchwood prime/London I never watched any of the Early episodes of DR Who only the Christopher and David DR Who. When did UNIT first come in to being I gather from the resent episodes of Who that the Doctor had a hand in its creation.

Was it the Canary wharf disaster that did in Torchwood prime/London I never watched any of the Early episodes of DR Who only the Christopher and David DR Who. When did UNIT first come in to being I gather from the resent episodes of Who that the Doctor had a hand in its creation.

the Doctor Who episode "Tooth and Claw" has the origin of Torchwood. But it is a different Torchwood then what you see in the show.

I think that if they are not going to bring back Cap Jack they should create a new Show around Gwen maybe have her as a PI or a member of Scotland Yard specializing in the Paranormal and Aliens. Maybe enlist/force the thief from "Planet of the Dead" as a operative.

Edited by miles316

I kinda like the new suit. And the Tardis seems a little different...

It has also been reported that

River Song

is on the set, make of that what you will.

Is the red head girl in the pictures the companion of the New Doctor if she is whats is her name?

Is the red head girl in the pictures the companion of the New Doctor if she is whats is her name?

Yep, that's Karen Gillan who plays the new companion Amy Pond. I'm giving her bonus points for being Scottish. :)

Hmmm. Noty sure what to think of the new costume. Granted, Indiana Jones wore something similar..........but had the sense to swap it for a cool leather jacket when the action started.

I guess it'll grwo on me. The only thing I'm a little cool on is the dicky-bow.