DYRL - DVD Subtitle Upgrade

Hurin

it appears yesasia is sold out of the dvd :|

is amazon.jp the only one with a copy?

334832[/snapback]

Try CD Japan. That's not a bad price either!

Yep, yesasia lists the DVD as being out of print. Is this new or has it already been out of print for a long time?

H

• 7 months later...

That sounds like a really cool project. I have half a mind to try and see what can be done for M7 since the subtitling is pretty crappy in places on all the the bootleg sets (mine, the F/X sets, etc).

"DVDFab" is also a decrypter.

It can't be a US based software developer or it'd be shut down by now...

I used it to remove the copy protection and Region coding from my R2 release and then reburned it to a Dual Layer DVD (I read somewhere that DVDDecrypter sometimes has issues and drops VOB files out of copies-possibly a new version of protection that came out after the site was closed).

Then I followed Hurin's instructions and re-built the DVD with the new Subs.

Edited by Zinjo

Does anyone know of a program other than DVD-Lab Pro where you can edit subtitles? I'd like to try some other projects but I doubt I'll get them done within 30 days of the trial period and $100+ is more than I want to spend right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Either I'm blind, or missed it elsewhere in the thread. But, I noticed that a portion of the audio file's name has "DELAY 66ms". Does that mean the audio and video aren't synchronized? Is that already correct in the DVD Lab Pro project zip file?

BTW, you rock.

Either I'm blind, or missed it elsewhere in the thread.  But, I noticed that a portion of the audio file's name has "DELAY 66ms".  Does that mean the audio and video aren't synchronized?  Is that already correct in the DVD Lab Pro project zip file?

BTW, you rock.

408688[/snapback]

Yeah, that's normal. I don't know where it comes from though. It might actually be the name of the audio stream that Bandai/Emotion used.

H

P.S. Thanks! :)

Okay, I managed to get this done this weekend, very nice work, thanks for the images, etc! My version of the software was slightly different, but the instructions still worked great =).

Thanks! I was getting tired of having to switch regions on my DVD player to watch it, lol.

• 2 months later...

Hurin giveth... Hurin taketh away.

:lol:

I hope it doesn't seem like that! They're still available. But, it just makes more sense to manage these threads where I can have more control of them. For example, originally, these threads were to have the screenshots of the settings for each program actually displayed within the thread. But, there is a limit over here for how many images can be in a single post (etc.). I started moving the threads over, and while I did so, I altered some information (like where to get DVD Decrypter, and buy the DVDs, etc.). . . and I realized that I sure didn't want to manage four different threads on two different servers indefinitely! :blink:

Best,

H

P.S. Of course, this is really about these threads never getting the "pin" treatment over here! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Any chance of converting this to the R3/Korean version? Link goes to reputable site selling it:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code...pid-1004315415/

That's the first I've seen of that release. Is it official? I note that the publisher is listed as "Woori." Are they legit?

Finally, YesAsia has it listed as non-region encoded. The subtitling process removes region encoding, but it would still be nice for the original DVD to be playable in region 1 players as well.

Best,

H

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this last night. Unfortunately the burned DVD skips like crazy. :( The final DVD image also skips a litle bit when I watch it on my computer.

The subtitles are great though.

I think the DVD player/burner I'm using might be messed up. I onced used it to burn some straight copies of movies that had no copy protection and they skpped bit too.

Any other ideas of what the problem could be?

I tried this last night. Unfortunately the burned DVD skips like crazy. :( The final DVD image also skips a litle bit when I watch it on my computer.

The subtitles are great though.

I think the DVD player/burner I'm using might be messed up. I onced used it to burn some straight copies of movies that had no copy protection and they skpped bit too.

Any other ideas of what the problem could be?

Enoding a DVD takes up a lot of system resources so make sure NOTHING is running in the background. That helps.]

As for the Korean version, I wonder if it is just a repackaged FX version, particularly if it is indeed RO...

GARR!

I demuxed and compiled the DVD image again -- on a completely different computer -- and the DVD image still skips frequently during playback on my computer. It's mostly the audio that skips, once every few minutes. I had no other programs running during the creation of the DVD image or during playback.

Maybe the R2 disc itself has problems. I don't have a region-free player but I'll try to watch it somehow to see if it skips too.

Maybe the R2 disc itself has problems. I don't have a region-free player but I'll try to watch it somehow to see if it skips too.
Actually i just remembered something i read ages ago. The way the disc in interlaced means it won't play properly on a computer but should play perfectly on a dvd player so it sounds to me that your disc is actually find danth.

EDIT - does the original R2 disc play perfectly on your computer? Also have you tried playing with any different software besides Windows Media Player?

What brand and model number is your dvd player? You might be able to find a code of the net to make it region free so you can test it on there.

Edited by Area88

Well I found I had to run the R2 through DVDFAB as well as DVD Decrypter to get all the copy protection off of the image, that could be the reason for the glichy result.

Though Hurin I am still waiting for your version to be made available with the "original" splash screen from the Bandai release.... :p

Any chances of that being done?

Edited by Zinjo

I didn't realize that easter island thingy meant so much to you!

Well, I'm considering hunting down that Korean DVD and seeing if it's of comparable quality to the Bandai Region 2 DVD (but perhaps without the interlacing issues). If so, I'll be getting back into subtitling (etc.) for a bit and will consider adding that pre-title screen. ;)

Actually i just remembered something i read ages ago. The way the disc in interlaced means it won't play properly on a computer but should play perfectly on a dvd player so it sounds to me that your disc is actually find danth.

EDIT - does the original R2 disc play perfectly on your computer? Also have you tried playing with any different software besides Windows Media Player?

What brand and model number is your dvd player? You might be able to find a code of the net to make it region free so you can test it on there.

Weirdness -- my computer will play the region 2 DYRL disc even though it's set to region 1!

Anyway, the original disc plays fine. So I dunno what the problem is. I realized that the skipping is not necessarily in the same spots. Sometimes it will skip badly, and I'll rewind and watch the scene again, and it will play fine. Or it will rewind super slow and a few seconds to go back one frame.

I think I'll just try it again with another disc.

EDIT: Yay!!!!!!!! I used Nero to shrink the DVD image onto a 4.7 gig DVD+R and it now plays just fine. I'm thinking the Memorex dual layer DVDs I bought aren't super compatible with home DVD players.

Also,

THANKS, HURIN!

Edited by danth

• 5 months later...
I didn't realize that easter island thingy meant so much to you!

Well, I'm considering hunting down that Korean DVD and seeing if it's of comparable quality to the Bandai Region 2 DVD (but perhaps without the interlacing issues). If so, I'll be getting back into subtitling (etc.) for a bit and will consider adding that pre-title screen. ;)

Any updates on the Korean DYRL DVD?

I'm a little slow on the up-take here... I got the Bandai R2 DVD, I followed the instructions to a T and went with the default destination of c:\macross-dyrl-r2\Final DVD Image\. It took ~45 minutes to do the compile and I got the "Done" message. But where the heck is the image? That destination has two folders in it: AUDIO_TS (which is empty) and VIDEO_TS, which has 13 files files in it (2x BUP, 2x IFO and 9x VOB). The VOB files can be played, but there's no audio or sub-titling with them. So what am I doing wrong?

I have a friend in Japan that it got through Amazon Japan for me.

I did the whole procedure again, nothing running in the background, double-checked to make sure everything was set-up appropriately, etc. and I get the same result. DVD-Lab tells me that it's done it and dumps a bunch of files into the destination folder. I can watch them individually (on the PC), but not as one continuous movie and I'm still not getting any sub-titles. And burning the whole thing to disc doesn't seem to be an option (XP does not list that as an option in any menu and yes, I do have a DVD-burner).

Check the forth topic from the top, it has links to steps to do it for the FX DVD as well. I followed the directions and it worked perfectly for me. I don't know about the Bandai R2 DVD though. The subtitles really clear up everything compared to the regular subs on the FX version.

Telling someone to RTFM is generally considered bad form. It was rather amusing here because following your directions leads one to this very thread, which doesn't answer my question (which is why I asked here, but thanks).

I still haven't figured out how to view the new file on my PC. On the plus side, I finally got a stack of dual layer discs and successfully burned one on the first try. I used Verbatim DVD+R DL Printable media.

I thought I had a new question, but turns out it'll be a point of advice. I'm watching on a wide screen TV, but we'd recently switched to a different table-top DVD player and didn't bother checking the settings. When I first put in my shiny new copy of DYRL, all the sub-titles we're appearing in the black letterbox portion above and below the picture itself, rather than being superimposed over the movie proper. Turns out the DVD player was set to have the TV at 4:3 instead of 16:9. A simple change there and now the sub-titles are where they're supposed to be and all is great.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the other 19 blank discs.

Mucho thanks to Hurin.

• 3 months later...