PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

I just found some sony 1gb at best buys in milpitas 135 and 1gb sandisk 130. I think they just restocked but you have to ask the rep to get it for you they don't have it for display.

from Rich

well the guy who released the memory card swap-exploit for the US ver. 1.50 is releasing another developer pack which WILL NOT need 2 memory sticks....there's rumors that it will NOT use the firmware to load games

this is good news for those of us who don't want to sacrific a memory card or the card reader for the swap.

here's the link... http://www.psphacks.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2107

I tried it out earlier this morning and had fun with the new boot exploit on the commute to work.

Nothing has changed too much with the exploit. If you've used the 2 memory stick method, you can easily copy over files and rename the folders. If not, just grab the new homebrew emulator packs that are out. You can find one on the front page of psphacker.com

Just toss roms into the folders without the "%" symbol. Thats the trick really, the % sign tricks the PSP into thinking its a different folder/memory stick.

For the lazy there's a homebrew pack on psphacker.com that has all the emulators in a nice little archive

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys been keeping up with the latest mods?

It seems you can now run PSP games off of your memory card. All you need is a UMD disc plus the boot file. :ph34r:

From what I've heard it seems Lumines is only abut 500MB's.

Actually, I dl'd a pack out there that has Coded Arms, Lumines, Mercury, & Puzzle Bobble in a neatly packed 635MB file.

All games work fine and with sound! Lumines and Puzzle bobble play fine w/o any umd in the drive, but Coded Arms requires any umd, and Mercury req. the Wipeout UMD to be in the drive.

Its been pretty crazy since the first 1.5 exploit came out. I havent tried the NeoGeo CD emulator but I hear it works at full speed.

Sony is bringing out firmware 2.0 for the PSP on July 27th:

There's a bunch of new features including a web browser, new wifi encryption settings (WPA), etc.

With all these new features, is it worth updating and losing homebrew?

You can see the comments/article on Pspupdates

(scroll to the top of the page)

Also, the new white psp is coming out.

===========================

Here's a list of the details (from pspupdates):

From July, 27th, 2005, the new system software update will start. This update will upgrade your system version to 2.0. Changelog:

Main function updated in system software version 2.0

- Network

Internet browser added

* Macromedia Flash is not supported. A part of the web pages might not be displayed correctly

* The startup of the internet browser can be limited.

- Video

Jump function added (UMD Video & UMD Music)

A-B repeat function added (UMD Video & UMD Music & videos stored in Memory sticks)

"4:3 mode" added to Video mode (videos stored in Memory sticks)

Sound mute function added (videos stored in Memory sticks)

MP4 (AVC) format playback support added (videos stored in Memory sticks)

-Music

Can accept music tracks in Atract3 Plus format from "Sonicstage" under version 3.2 (now for pre-order)

MP4 (AAC) & Wave (Linear PCM) format playback support added (music stored in Memory sticks)

- Photo

Wallpaper function added

Image receiving function added

TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP format supported

- Settings

"Korean language" added to "system settings" -> "System language"

"Character set" added to "system settings"

"Theme settings" added

"Internet browser startup limit" added to "Security settings"

"WPA-PSK (TKIP)" added to security method in "Network settings"

Keyboard now support web input.

* All the setting before the upgrade will be preserved.

UPDATE: Firmware 2.0 has been confirmed. It will be releasing on July, 27th.

Edited by Valkyrie23

Let's see... I can upgrade my PSP to have the web browser, and loose the "applications" I have on my memory stick... or I can use the browser hack with Wipeout Pure, and keep my "apps."

I'll take the 1.5, thank you much.

Well, sooner or later, games will probably require the 2.0 firmware... so maybe I'll buy one of those white PSPs. The whiteness of purity PSP can have the latest firmware and be used for the purposes Sony intendend. Meanwhile, my original obscuring darkness PSP can be used for... well, other things.

Let's see... I can upgrade my PSP to have the web browser, and loose the "applications" I have on my memory stick... or I can use the browser hack with Wipeout Pure, and keep my "apps."

I'll take the 1.5, thank you much.

Well, sooner or later, games will probably require the 2.0 firmware... so maybe I'll buy one of those white PSPs.  The whiteness of purity PSP can have the latest firmware and be used for the purposes Sony intendend.  Meanwhile, my original obscuring darkness PSP can be used for... well, other things.

312957[/snapback]

I was thinking of getting a white one as well. Light and Dark, gotta have balance b/t the two right?

Well, I'll only get the white fw 2.0 version if there are any killer games coming out. Otherwise, I'm fine with all the games of my youth. I'm sure there will be a homebrew web browser soon. All the new media types of fw 2.0 seem appealing though.

On the other hand, my gf has been bugging me for a psp...hmmm....girls like white, no?

;)

On the other hand, my gf has been bugging me for a psp...hmmm....girls like white, no?

In my case, my wife would get the black... she likes the NES version of Tetris, and Lumines running from the memory stick...

Well, white is still manly, right? :huh:

All the new media types of fw 2.0 seem appealing though.

Screw that. 1.5 plays mp3 music and mp4 video already. The video side can be a pain, but it's not worth giving up my homebrew for and upgrade.

I can't wait for the wallpaper function. I made a poll at PSPupdates (I'm Station there) to see who thought Sony would make a wallpaper feature in one of their patches and everyone seemed to doubt it.

Have faith in the company you bought a console from.

I was thinking of getting a white one as well.  Light and Dark, gotta have balance b/t the two right?

Bah.

I'm waiting for one with electroluminescent material and liquid crystal in the case, so you can adjust the color and brightness from within the BIOS.

I was thinking of getting a white one as well.  Light and Dark, gotta have balance b/t the two right?

Bah.

I'm waiting for one with electroluminescent material and liquid crystal in the case, so you can adjust the color and brightness from within the BIOS.

312989[/snapback]

Whoa, that sounds like a whole other ballgame than a simple case color :blink:

Bah.

312989[/snapback]

Whoa, that sounds like a whole other ballgame than a simple case color :blink:

313002[/snapback]

Indeed.

Too bad no one's gonna do it. Variable case colors would be awesome.

I love my PSP.. its probably the best console I've bought since the SNES.

I've got six games already:

Lumines

Ridge Racers

Wipeout

Untold Legends

Hot Shots Golf

Coded Arms

I played Untold Legends for like two weeks straight when I got it and thought it was the greatest game ever but once the repitition set in I started totally hating it.

I absolutely love Ridge Racers and Wipeout, those games have soo much replay value.

I still play Lumines a lot too (gotta get all those damn skins!!).

I pretty much hate Coded Arms, I just can't get around how crappy the controls and "randomly generated" levels are.. argggh.

Golf is fun too but I don't play it much.

and next week 'Sengoku Cannon' comes out and I'm pretty sure I'll be importing it.

Star Soldier is out too but I'll probably only get that one if it pops up at my local Fry's.

Edited by Waffen

I've also just bought a 256 Sony Duo Pro High Speed off ebay for $37.99 (good deal).

I've got a Hori screen protector and memory card case coming in the mail and I've got the Hori 'ash black' carry case which is really awesome..

I've also just bought a 256 Sony Duo Pro High Speed off ebay for $37.99 (good deal).

I've got a Hori screen protector and memory card case coming in the mail and I've got the Hori 'ash black' carry case which is really awesome..

313031[/snapback]

pics of the case?

Anyone figure out the wall paper thing. It doesnt work for me

psp browser is now official.

here

313097[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Web browser OR homebrew games.

I think I'm going with the updates b/c someone will eventually get around the lockouts.

313031[/snapback]

pics of the case?

313032[/snapback]

www.hori.jp

its really rad and only about $7 at ncsx, play asia or lik sang. still waiting to get it tho...

psp browser is now official.

here

313097[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Web browser OR homebrew games.

I think I'm going with the updates b/c someone will eventually get around the lockouts.

313105[/snapback]

Official browser, or homebrew browser and homebrew games?

Screw updates.

Any one here get the loaders to work? Im tryign to get Codedarms to work without the UMD but it jsut stick at teh Now Loading screen and doesnt do anything after that.

313450[/snapback]

I got Coded Arms to work fine. I hadn't tried it without a UMD, though. I have Wipeout in my PSP.

Did you remember to replace the BOOT.BIN file in the game with the one that came with the loader?