VF-1 Valkyrie Booster Project 1/72

robokochan

Hi Sean.

I get my modelling board here

http://www.mfcomposites.com/

You can work the Ren Shape with any milling machine or lathe, as well as a dremel for removing large volumes. You can then very easily sand it with regular sandpaper for fine finishing. Just so that you know, the dust put off by the material is toxic, so you'll need a mask to work it.

You can get a relatively good finish on the parts, but as it's still technically somewhat porous, you will need to seal it with primer prior to molding.

Just so that you know, the dust put off by the material is toxic, so you'll need a mask to work it.

What are the side effects of prolonged Ren dust exposure? I wonder if my constant colds are a result of my work environment. There are so many things wrong with my work area. I can't even start.

I can't wait to see the finnished patterns on this booster. I am totally stoked that we are going to get master craftsmanship on this Macross kit.

Hi Coby.

From what I've seen, the short-term effects of breathing modelling-board dust is quite simply... The sniffles. That's not quite as harmless as it sounds though, as when you blow your nose, you'll see that the stuff accumulates rather fast. Over the long term, you may begin to exhibit breathing problems and/or develop a hacking cough from constant accumulation of dust in your lungs. I see that a lot with veteran model-makers and body-shop workers. There may or may not be other hazzards related to the dust, but personally, I plan to NOt find that out firsthand... I always wear a mask.

Your constant colds may be a result of exposure to chems in the workplace, or, silly as it sounds, you may also have a problem with fungus. Most people worry so much about the industrial-strength goo, that they overlook simple things like mold, that can be every bit as hazzardous if not more so.

a definete work of art, any chance for a 1/48 Yamato Compatible version? :p:p

i cannot wait to see this thing painted

chris

What are the side effects of prolonged Ren dust exposure?  I wonder if my constant colds are a result of my work environment.  There are so many things wrong with my work area.  I can't even start.

Dude, where a mask!!! :o

Back when I was finishing my ID degree, I developed a nasty allergy to the particles from modeling foam (the cheap-o 5-10 lb stuff). I got lazy and stopped wearing my respirator because it was the end of the semester & everything was crazy.. multiple days with no sleep, working on final presentations & models, etc. (Anyone that has gone through a design program worth it's salt has experienced this. ) Anyhow, it got to the point where as soon as I came near that foam and smelled it, my throat would pinch up & I couldn't breathe. Not a pleasant reaction, and not one you wanna have when you have to work with the stuff...

Thankfully, it no longer affects me this way, but I learned my lesson: wear proper protective gear. Most modeling compounds and materials are toxic to some degree, and your health is way too important. If you were to make the same mistake laying up something like fiberglass, it could prove to be fatal.

As for this project: SWEEEEET!!! B))

What are the side effects of prolonged Ren dust exposure? I wonder if my constant colds are a result of my work environment. There are so many things wrong with my work area. I can't even start.

I can't wait to see the finnished patterns on this booster. I am totally stoked that we are going to get master craftsmanship on this Macross kit.

Don't forget, I believe it was myersjessee who was laid up for a while, because he became sick from over exposure to just modeling resins and mold rubbers... You should always either work in a well ventilated area (at the least) and wear a protective mask (or use a respirator with changeable filters)...

Yep...that was me. The darn "cold" lasted for over a year and a half on and off...I finally had to have surgery...it turned out to be a sinus infection way up in my sinuses. My Dr said he had never seen one so bad. I can't blame it on the resins for sure...but I had never gotten a sinus infection before I started working with resins...and even now I'm not as healthy as I was. Im working in a better area though and wear masks (most of the time at least)

Just another quick question--to Monkey-Nugget this time--I know the Zent fighter pod was a Big West approved licenses product, is the valk booster? I'm not usually a stickler for this sort of thing, but I don't know what sort of legal issues exist for garage kits for Macross in North America, as HG owns all merch rights correct?

Just wondering, mostly because I would like to release a Macross kit of my own and don't know how/if I could get it licensed or if I should just do it under the radar....

Hope I didn't kill the mood :D

Sean

[on edit: if I could type I'd be golden :p ]

Edited by whytwolf

Wonderfest licensing is an event only deal. Anybody can get the license for the event if you are attending and can get the approval of said license holders. The license doesn't extend out of the sales room and I think there is a limit to the number of items you can sell there.

HG is toothless and if you are making 20 of an item for a $10 profit then they wont bother you. The only reason John stopped the Legioss is because he tried to get a proper license and they gave him a CnD when he guaged the interest in the kit. If you don't advertise your product in a magazine it probably wont be an issue. It wasn't for me and I made 40 Lancer II kits.

Thanks for answering cobywan :)

he is right they are only for one day events. You can get a license but it takes about 3 to 6 months. You have to pay the royalties to Big West up front before you sell any kits. Basically what you do is get a sub-license from a company that has a long term license. You submit a sample to them, tell them how many you plan to sell and at what price. They look it over and tell you what changes need to be made. If they approve it then youpay the royalties to them and then you get your stickers. Basically you just have to jump through alot of hoops. Also if memory serves BW only allows 10 sub-licenses for Macross per event. :blink:

And yes I hope to get the Booster licensed as well for WF Winter 2005.

Rob

Basically you just have to jump through alot of hoops. Also if memory serves BW only allows 10 sub-licenses for Macross per event. :blink:

And yes I hope to get the Booster licensed as well for WF Winter 2005.

Rob

We will keep crossing our fingers so it works for you..I think you have gone through a lot to helps us out...you deserve the opportunity..

In the same vein as the question above, will a Super Ostrich be able to fill in? I've never been a fan of the variant and I'd like to use the model for it.

Super O uses the same parts at the knee

Hi guys, I'm exhausted... Time for an update :lol:

To answer Noyhauser's question, I really don't know, as I don't have a super O kit. It may very well fit with some veeeery minor modification to the center fuselage on the booster. The booster is designed to accept a VF-1 with its backpack deployed "atmospheric" mode and its V-tails flat.

Anyway, onto the pics... As you can see, the once flat blocks of modelling board have now been fleshed-out into a more familiar form. My webcam's lens produces a tremendous fish-eye effect on objects that I shoot from a short distance, and as a result, makes the booster look much more slender than it really is; it's actually spot-on with the side-view Rob posted at the beginning of the thread. All the parts fit perfectly, and tolerances are being kept tight.

As Valkyrie had noticed earlier on, the foreward, upper tips of the booster will need to be cut-back and enlarged... I left them longer for the time being, as I'll need to adjust that entire area to conform precisely to the Hasegawa kit's surface. In a nutshell, things are going exactly as planned. B))

post-3-1091475197_thumb.jpg

I'm envious of hit tools. I wish I had my own shop to work in.

Hey you did a great job on the Lancer without a big shop. I'm still waitin' for another great 1/72 model from ya.

Man oh man John...your flying through it...Im so envious of your skills!

It's a good thing I don't have his skills, if I did I wouldn't do anything but make my own collection of obscure Macross models, then I'd really be in trouble. :lol:

This looks just complely unbelievable so far, John. Outstanding. I'm only waiting for payday to make my contribution.

Any idea as to how much this sucker is going to cost us when all is said and done? I love the idea of that launch vehicle, too, but I'm afraid it might make the price a little out of reach for some of us - from the pics I'm looking at in Perfect Memory, that addition would make this one BIG kit. I'm in either way.

Edited by Batou

Hi Batou.

Actually, Rob is the one handling the marketing aspect of the model, so would be the one to best answer your question regarding price. However, I can assure you that it'll be cheaper than a japanese kit of similar detail/size.

As for the launch vehicle, we both decided that precisely for cost purposes, we would market them as separate kits; basically give people a chance to save-up for them.