VF-1 Valkyrie Booster Project 1/72

robokochan

Okay it has just come to my attention that 2 people got the number 454. It is a mis-type on my part. :( Yes I have double checked all other numbers and there are not any other mistakes.

I am honoring both winners with the 2nd place prize of the VF-1 Strike Hase Kit. :)

I apologise to both members for my error. (insert bowing asian emoticon here)

Rob

Okay it has just come to my attention that 2 people got the number 454. It is a mis-type on my part. :( Yes I have double checked all other numbers and there are not any other mistakes.

I am honoring both winners with the 2nd place prize of the VF-1 Strike Hase Kit. :)

I apologise to both members for my error. (insert bowing asian emoticon here)

Rob

Very cool of you Rob. Thanks for a great raffle/idea! It made my week. :D

Dammit, I demand a recount! I think we have a problem with hanging chads.

Oh well, congratulations to the winners!

I call dibs on anyone willing to sell their prize. :lol:

I suppose we are all winners, because our raffle money will go towards the purchase of an awesome 1/72 Valkyrie Booster, but I'm still sad. :(

It's a good thing I anticipated not winning and pre-paid for my (2) boosters. ;) Hopefully no one will steal my thunder, but I've already started on (2) Hasegawa 1/72 Strike Valkyries, which will be done in the Max and Millia scheme, and the boosters will be painted to match.

All we need now are the lauch vehicles. :rolleyes:

Hate to rain on your parade Christopher but the strike packs won't work with the booster.

YES !!!! I got 454. I am very happy to win a kit from this place :D (I don't win a lot of things apart from ebay, but I pay :lol: )

I read the topics since a long time, but I only post since few months due to my engrish (do you understand what I say ? ;) )

Thanks to John, Jesse, and Rob (it seems there are 2 number 454. thank you Rob to give the price to both winners)

Congratulations to the other winners

jipe

Hate to rain on your parade Christopher but the strike packs won't work with the booster.

That's what I get for trying not to be too verbose.

I should have clarified and said that I am using (2) 1/72 Hasegawa Strike Valkyries, because the legs are in the correct position, but I will omit the armor.

I plan to use the leftover armor to build a VF-1D Strike, and a "Virgin Road" VF-1D Strike.

I think that each 1/72 Booster kit will include the parts to angle the legs, so I will use those parts with my (2) VF-1D's.

Hopefully I covered all the bases this time, and with some luck, everything should work out.

I just watched episode 30. Max's booster is blue with white trim, just like his VF. They never quite show Millia's, but a safe bet is it is also identical to Max's only in red. Hikaru seems to be an overall all white. Boring plain old white. Those boosters'll look sweet done up and sitting next to each other. B))

Gundamhead,

Thanks for the info.

I wanted to try and keep everything as cannon as possible, and so I'll have to check out the few screen shots that have been posted.

I've been planning this since Rob first mentioned the possibility of the valkyrie boosters, so it's cool that everything is coming together.

I can only imagine how cool an Enigma or Blue Roses valkyrie and booster would be. ;)

Hi all.

Yet more pictures to share, this time of the actual cast resin parts. These are actually the test-shots made in a low-shrink resin; the final castings made by Jesse will be of a more conventional resin, which is notably easier to sand and grind.

As you can see, there are still the obvious mold lines to contend with, as well as a bit of flash, but the detail is excellent overall. All the scribing and rivets reproduces perfectly. I also tested the castings for fit, and everything fits as it should.

post-3-1093984999_thumb.jpg

Lower fuselage, foreward view. This is about the only part I was a bit disappointed with. As you can see in the pic, the foot holes have extra resin in them. Though these can easily be ground-out and sanded, I also took some steps to correct this in the molding process on Jesse's end; basically re-positioning the part to better release entrapped air in the mold material. The part is a bit more complex to mold than it appears, as it has detailed indentations fore and aft. However, this should be remedied in the actual production parts.

post-3-1093986139_thumb.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!

:D:lol::o:D:lol: Thanks Rob! I can't believe I actually won something let alone the grand prize!

This is awesome! Thanks for this whole project! Words really cannot express my joy at this news. :blink: Now I will be eagerly waiting for the masterpiece to arrive. I'll need to plan a display space. I'll need to finish more models to go along with it. I'll need to explain to my wife why it's so cool! :p

Really guys this project looks amazing. I am really shocked that I won. Thanks so much for getting this project together.

Congrats to all the winners and well done to Rob, John and Jesse.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi guys, update time again.

Basically, this will be a catalogue of highlights involving the actual Valk/Booster model grand prize build-up. WM cheng already did a fabulous step-by-step article on the VF-1, so I won't bore you with the same ol' "glue part A to B, and putty". Rather, I'll just hit the highlights.

Pic one is of the ejection seat. Painted up in a more real-world military scheme of black frame & olive cushion. The cushion was made to look worn with some black/brown chalk pastel, and the frame recieved a few little nicks of silver to simulate chipped paint. I also added a few hand-painted warning symbols.

post-3-1094059666_thumb.jpg

The tub from the pilot's view. The cockpit displays are the kit decal, but in stead of using it as a whole piece, which didn't look right, I cut it out into placards and mounted them individually. I then coated them with some FUTURE floor wax to make them shiny... Essentially a "glass" cockpit.

Also, the tub was initially painted in Zinc Chromate yellow-green, and then overcoated with grey. I then scraped off a bit of the gray in the footwells & on the corners of the consoles to make the tub look like it's seen its fair share of action.

post-3-1094060128_thumb.jpg

Here are the feet/exhaust nozzles. The camera won't seem to pick-up the wonderfully-subtle heat-discoloration I painted onto the Testots Metalizer finish. They essentially have a "mottling" effect painted on with clear blue, yellow and red, thinned with rubbing alcohol.

I actually have more parts done, but nothing worthy of camera-time, so I'll save the pics for when things get interesting again.

post-3-1094060614_thumb.jpg