VF-17 released in the US....sort of.

Khyron

I'd actually like to see Kawamori design a Transformer. Bet you wouldn't have doors and all that other crap hanging off the bot mode then :p .

Graham

Kawamori did design a Transformer. It's called Jetfire. :p

post-4-1091088496_thumb.jpg

I'd actually like to see Kawamori design a Transformer. Bet you wouldn't have doors and all that other crap hanging off the bot mode thenĀ  :p .

Graham

Ha dee ha ha <_< That's not even funny.

Even after all these years, I'm still pissed that our beloved 1/55 VF-1 was made into a Trannie. Is nothing sacred :(

Graham

I'd actually like to see Kawamori design a Transformer. Bet you wouldn't have doors and all that other crap hanging off the bot mode thenĀ  :p .

Graham

Even after all these years, I'm still pissed that our beloved 1/55 VF-1 was made into a Trannie. Is nothing sacred :(

Graham

Jetfire was my favourite transformer toy and possibly the reason I watched Robotech.

Besides, I think Kawamori is also behind the designs for Whirl and Roadbuster. They're from another series, can't remember what, but Hasbro repackaged them into TFs like they did with Jetfire, while they were never released as such in Japan.

I'll leave it up to others to post pictures.

Graham

Graham

"Beloved 1/55 VF-1"?? I do believe it was the one and only Graham Parkes who originally coined the term "Chunky Monkey"!! And I don't recall it being a particularly affectionate term, either....

Graham

Graham

so I take it you're not a fan of the 1/60 jetfire conversions?

oooh, how about a 1/48 conversion?

Graham

Graham

Jetfire was my favourite transformer toy and possibly the reason I watched Robotech.

Besides, I think Kawamori is also behind the designs for Whirl and Roadbuster. They're from another series, can't remember what, but Hasbro repackaged them into TFs like they did with Jetfire, while they were never released as such in Japan.

I'll leave it up to others to post pictures.

While it's commonly stated as a fact on the net Kawamori had nothing to do with Machine Soldier Dorvack which is where Whirl and Roadbuster came from.

Actually, decided to do a search on google myself and found this page:

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2213

Anime fans may recognize the name of Shoji Kawamori. He was responsible for the story and fantastic mecha designs in such series as Macross and Vision of Escaflowne. At least three of his mecha designs for anime series found new life as Hasbro Transformers toys. The most famous is probably Jetfire, who was adapted from a standard Bandai Valkyrie toy from Macross. The Macross anime was in turn adapted into Robotech, another cartoon staple for children of the Transformers generation. The Jetfire toy is today highly sought after by collectors of both series, since there never was a Robotech Veritech (the US name for the Valkyrie) released, and the Jetfire toy was of an exceptionally high quality.

Kawamori was also mecha designer for a little-known 36-episode anime series called Dorvack (not to be confused with the kid from Welcome Back, Kotter). Dorvack never made it to American shores, but two of the toys based on Shoji Kawamori-designed mecha in that series DID. The Transformers known as Roadbuster and Whirl were taken from this series.

And something from ToyboxDX..

http://www.toyboxdx.com/rumble_plus/180802-calibur.html

So there you go.

post-4-1091090801_thumb.jpg

While it's commonly stated as a fact on the net Kawamori had nothing to do with Machine Soldier Dorvack which is where Whirl and Roadbuster came from.

Huh. Well, where does that rumour come from, then?

transformers included, I have never understood why one would make a land vehicle that transforms into a robot... it's just odd.

Like that AA unit, what's the point? so the guns are elevated a couple more meters?

that helicopter is kinda cool though, in a weird spindly kinda way.

The Macross Compendium has a list of animes on which kawamori has worked in various capacities. See it here. Dorvack is not mentioned, but then again the Compendium's list may not be complete.

Graham

transformers included, I have never understood why one would make a land vehicle that transforms into a robot... it's just odd.

Like that AA unit, what's the point? so the guns are elevated a couple more meters?

that helicopter is kinda cool though, in a weird spindly kinda way.

So you can trade speed for agility as needed.

And the coolness. Everyone knows that your odds of dying are inversely proportiional to how cool a vehicle you're driving.

"Beloved 1/55 VF-1"?? I do believe it was the one and only Graham Parkes who originally coined the term "Chunky Monkey"!! And I don't recall it being a particularly affectionate term, either....

While it's true I did coin the term 'Chunky Monkey' in reference to the 1/55, it was always meant with affection :D After all, I've owned 1/55 toys for 13 years now. I wouldn't keep them that long if I didn't like them.

However, I still consider the 1/55 to have a very inaccurate sculpt compared to both the 1/60 and 1/48. Also the 1/55 is fairly limited in it's articulation and poseabilty, especially compared to the 1/48.

However, despite these drawbacks I still consider the 1/55 a good toy, and for it's time (early 1980s') it was a great toy.

IIRC I coined the term 'Chunky Monkey' when Yamato first released the 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru toy. Initially I was wowed by the more accurate-to-lineart sculpt of the 1/60 and it's wider range of poses. However, the various well documented problems with the 1/60, especially the loose hip joints and stability issues, as well as the coming of the far superior 1/48 have left me somewhat jaded as to the 1/60. If asked now as to which I'd buy if given the choice, a 1/55 or 1/60, I'd probably have to think very carefully before deciding. Of course, the 1/48 is king and rules all, so I don't need to think about buying anymore 1/55 or 1/60 :lol:

Even though my 1/55 toys are all in storage now and no longer have a place in my display cabinet (apart from a single solitary DYRL VF-1A Hikaru reissue), they will always have a special place in my heart. In fact I'm saving the Bandai reissues for my son, for when he is old enough for his first Valks.

Graham

I'm not sure who originally pulled that out of thier asses but we had a long discussion about it on the old boards and came to the conclusion that Itabashi Katsumi was the designer not Kawamori.

Shoot, I'll get one. Unlike the "real" thing it won't cost an arm and a leg to purchase-15$ at most. I drew my collectability line at the Low Visibility's $170 price tag...

The Macross Compendium has a list of animes on which kawamori has worked in various capacities. See it here. Dorvack is not mentioned, but then again the Compendium's list may not be complete.

Graham

Considering Transformers and Kawamori, Transformers might be where Kawamori got the idea from...! :o

I remember seeing a thread on Robot Japan that claimed that Kawamori worked on some of the designs for Diaclone - and we all know what Diaclone became, right?

However - I have not been able to get that verified anywhere else, and have been wondering how much truth there is to the statement. I'd be very grateful if anyone else can either confirm or deny it!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

macross pre-dates transformers by several years, diaclone as well. while not routinely acknowledged by your average, under-informed, myopic trans-fan, the success of macross is considered to be the genesis for all the transformation heavy toys and anime of the mid 1980's, including Zeta gundam, transformers, and machine robo/gobots.

macross pre-dates transformers by several years, diaclone as well

A quick check of Diaclone chronology reveals that yep, Macross does indeed pre-date them (I really should have thought of checking that first!). Which makes the Valkyrie all the more remarkable; partly for being such an accomplished design, and partly for being more elegant than many Transformers designs.

(I want to point out I'm not bashing all Transformers here - I loved them as a kid and some of the designs are still favourites of mine; however the Valkyrie seems to have been most able to combine good looks in all modes without looking like a car with legs... )

Looking at the pictures from the E-Bay, it looks like this toy is from my local stationary book store in Singapore. The price tag at the bottom right shows 'Popular' which is the name of the shop and it looks like it is going for S$10 (@US$6).

Looks like the seller wants to make a 100% profit out of it :p

Yah. If I recall, the 1/55 VF-1 was the first properly transformable toy(no removing/replacing parts).

Some of the Microman Microchange guys didn't require parts removal. Like the Microbots, which eventually became Bumblebee and gang, for example. Or even the GunRobo line (exclude the silencer and stock from the deluxe Megatron type).

Yah. If I recall, the 1/55 VF-1 was the first properly transformable toy(no removing/replacing parts).

Some of the Microman Microchange guys didn't require parts removal. Like the Microbots, which eventually became Bumblebee and gang, for example. Or even the GunRobo line (exclude the silencer and stock from the deluxe Megatron type).

Ah. My mistake then.

But those all sucked. :p

I find the toy at Wal-Mart today. It is better than it looks in the box pictures (the color scheme is camouflage gray, not blue). The toy comes with a gun pod, shield, sticker sheet and manual, The stickers are ugly and make it look more colorful than it should be.

I posted a whole bunch of pictures and some comments, including a side-by-side comparison with the VF-17. I was surprised to find out that the galaxy defender is a completely different toy. Even as if borrows the transformation sequence and the basic stealth concept, the parts used are absolutely different and the toy even dares to innovate in some parts. Check it out here:

http://www.limbo.com.br/galaxy/

Galaxy Defenders also apparently bootlegged some Gao Gai Gar toys. It's always the same, they take the basic ideas from an existing toy, modify them (always in ways that one could not possibly call an improvement) amd release them. I'm surprised no one has cried foul on them yet.

Still, I don't mind so much. They're no worse looking than most of today's Energon and Armada Transformers.

I found the toy at walmart today.

Where in the toy section do you find this at WalMart? With the name brand stuff like GIJOe, Transformers, etc? or is there a generic toy area? I went to my local Walmart and found nothing....where do I look?

I find the toy at Wal-mart today.

Where in the toy section do you find this at WalMart? With the name brand stuff like GIJOe, Transformers, etc? or is there a generic toy area? I went to my local Walmart and found nothing....where do I look?

EDIT: now that I looked at your pics of Battroid mode....*ungh* LOL, that robot mode is hysterical! LOL, I can't stop myself. Now I MUST go see this freak of nature out of morbid curiousity!

My local Wal-Mart also has these in stock (in the Transformers aisle). If anyone wants one, let me know and I can pick it up for you for actual cost plus shipping. They are priced at $3.96 each. (plus 7% MS sales tax). Ugly little buggers. For some reason the head reminds me of the statues on Easter Island... :unsure: