VF-11B Gun Pod

Any word on who designed it? It doesn't apear in the DW so I assumed it wasn't Kawamori.

Also what are those three box like structures aft of the triger assembly?

Edited by Nied

Any word on who designed it? It doesn't apear in the DW so I assumed it wasn't Kawamori.

Also what are those three box like structures aft of the triger assembly?

I would say Miyatake, but I'm not certain. Its not signed and it doesn't have his shading style. It was from a Triangle Staff design sheet. They area covers for the drive and the extention mechanism.

cool info page, what are the two triggers for?

Probably one of them is to deploy the bayonet while the other as Nanashi so elequently put, shoots the gun.

Great job again big N, so....got any info on the VF-19s pod?

Probably one of them is to deploy the bayonet while the other as Nanashi so elequently put, shoots the gun.

Also possible it's a grip safety.

Though the logic of including such a device on a mech-carried rifle escapes me.

Yes, most likely the bottom, larger trigger is for deploying the bayonet. Note the outward curvature towards the bottom of that trigger.

Thanks.

I certainly do. There is so much stuff to be released on Nanashi's. : )

Everyone give thanks to Graham on this one. He and I are teaming up. The Information Group has its second staff member.

Thanks.

I certainly do. There is so much stuff to be released on Nanashi's. : )

Everyone give thanks to Graham on this one. He and I are teaming up. The Information Group has its second staff member.

Thanks to both Nanashi and Graham. You're both working on this now so you should both get the kudos, ne?

I think the second trigger's for deploying the bayonet as well. I'll have to watch the OAV's again. Luckily, it's only in the first few minutes of the first eppy. ^_^

Exactly. The whole idea of mechs using guns with triggers is far fetched....

One could think of it this way, the triggers are there for other mechs. There's probably a plug/data port for the fighter to use. This way, you have access to the gunpod's diagnostic systems (temperature, ammo count, and other systems). But I'll leave the speculation and fun to you kids.

Exactly. The whole idea of mechs using guns with triggers is far fetched....

Well, yes, but I wasn't going to touch that.

Even granted there's a good reason, there's no even remoptely logical reason for there to be a safety on a mech-carried rifle.

Safetys exist to prevent you from accidentally firing it. A mech's not gonna fire it unless you tell it to. Which means the only needed safety is in the cockpit.

One could think of it this way, the triggers are there for other mechs.

That's ... actually a good justification.

Not an optimum weapon for other mechs, but it's accessable to them.

Which means a VF-4, Spartan, macronized zentradi, etc. can arm itself with a gunpod from a VF-1 hanger if it desperately needed to.

There's probably a plug/data port for the fighter to use. This way, you have access to the gunpod's diagnostic systems (temperature, ammo count, and other systems).

Also leaves a way for you to fire it in fighter mode. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's been a while since I've seen the first episode of Macross Plus. I always thought the bayonet came out like a switchblade, from the diagrams it looks like it's swings out 180 degrees. That's weird.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's been a while since I've seen the first episode of Macross Plus. I always thought the bayonet came out like a switchblade, from the diagrams it looks like it's swings out 180 degrees. That's weird.

Not weird at all. Most quality automatic tactical knives have blades that swing out through 180 degrees at the push of a button. AFAIK, it allows for a stronger locking mechanism compared with the switchblade type.

Graham

This is the first time I've seen that anti-armor bayonette.

Cool. so is this the standard gun for the VF-11 series post B type?

the bayonet is shown in use by Isamu's VF-11B in the opening combat scene in Macross Plus OVA episode # 1.

the bayonet is standard on the VF-11B. Later varients such as the VF-11C and VF-11D use a different type of gunpod without a bayonet.

Graham

the bayonet is shown in use by Isamu's VF-11B in the opening combat scene in Macross Plus OVA episode # 1.

the bayonet is standard on the VF-11B. Later varients such as the VF-11C and VF-11D use a different type of gunpod without a bayonet.

Graham

Just a note, the Pink Peaker Squadron's VF-11s had bayonets.

I don't think those were VF-11Cs (flashback from a long time ago)... but their gun pods did not look like the Macross Plus VF-11B's gun pod. Standard-looking VF-11[C] gun pod with a bayonet.

Graham

I don't think those were VF-11Cs (flashback from a long time ago)... but their gun pods did not look like the Macross Plus VF-11B's gun pod. Standard-looking VF-11[C] gun pod with a bayonet.

I'l have to check when I go home, but I'm pretty sure that the eyecatch image of the Pink Pecker Squadron shows them with VF-11B type gunpods.

Graham

I cant imagine the blade being deployed via trigger mechanism. Most knives are deployed via direct attachement ( hence bayonet style attachments like for cameras and such) I would imagine that the release mechanism would be a button not a trigger. A second trigger on guns is usually for like a grenade launcher or shotgun. some sort of secondary firing capability.

I cant imagine the blade being deployed via trigger mechanism. Most knives are deployed via direct attachement ( hence bayonet style attachments like for cameras and such) I would imagine that the release mechanism would be a button not a trigger. A second trigger on guns is usually for like a grenade launcher or shotgun. some sort of secondary firing capability.

pretty much what i was thinking. the idea you'd need a bayonett release as accessable and often so as to make a trigger nessesary is pretty unlikely.

oh, and a saftey on a gun is always a good idea, it makes sence to have a safty on the gun pob because it can be fired with out the mech, and ESPECIALLY if it can be fired by a Zentradi.

saying the gunpod won't fire unless you tell it to is something like saying a pistol won't fire unless you pull the trigger.

if the gun is a self contained firearm then it stands to reason that it could fire for any number of reasons. safetys are a good thing.

Graham

I'l have to check when I go home, but I'm pretty sure that the eyecatch image of the Pink Pecker Squadron shows them with VF-11B type gunpods.

Graham

I checked the Pink Pecker/Akiko eye-catch in TIAS Mac 7 Animation Materials last night and it definitely shows the Pink Pecker's Thunderbolts armed with the VF-11B 'Macross Plus' type gunpod.

However, I'll have to rewatch the actual episode where they are shown, to see what type of gunpod is carried.

Graham

I checked the Pink Pecker/Akiko eye-catch in TIAS Mac 7 Animation Materials last night and it definitely shows the Pink Pecker's Thunderbolts armed with the VF-11B 'Macross Plus' type gunpod.

Hmm... you are right. Interesting. I thought they would have goofed on that.

However, I'll have to rewatch the actual episode where they are shown, to see what type of gunpod is carried.

I don't think that episode would be a good comparison. IIRC, it was a dramatization of what happened. They were using VF-11Cs and they even mentioned it was a re-enactment of what happened.

Oh and here's the eye-catch:

post-2-1089943986_thumb.gif

I don't think that episode would be a good comparison. IIRC, it was a dramatization of what happened. They were using VF-11Cs and they even mentioned it was a re-enactment of what happened.

I don't think it was a dramatization. I'll have to watch that episode again, but I thought it was just Akiko having a flashback to that incident as she explained what happened in the past with Stephen & Ray.

Graham