Anybody remember the TV series "Super Carrier"?

the show was called "Super Carrier" (I think) I forget what station it was on, but from what I remember it was pretty kick ass.

"a" super carrier (don't remember the ship itself) and the trials and tribulations of it's crew and flight wing. I remember it being pretty cool.

The only episode I recall is where one of the F-14s (I believe the pilot and RIO were two of the main characters) encounters a stray MiG pilot that wants to defect. Obviously he has no arrester hook, but through judicious use of a swimsuit issue picture and a sharpie marker, the RIO of the F-14 is able to get the pilot to understand that they can take him in the net on deck.

I remember nothing beyond that. Anyone remember anything else? Episodes online somewhere maybe?

Edited by Skull Leader

Never seen it or even heard of it, but here is a user quote from IMDB:

This really might have made it. Supercarrier was an attempt to cash in on the popularity of the megahit Topgun. It could have been done, note how well JAG has done over its run. Where the network messed up was instead of trying to concentrate on the action, it tried to make a nightime soap on the water. The US Navy took one look at the pilot which featured a female officer sleeping around and a male pilot altering his records to allow him to keep flying and said "No thank you" and withdrew its support. Kind of hard to have a show about an aircraft carrier with no aircraft carrier. End of show.
:ph34r:

I do remember that show. It was fun, but a little hokey. They showed the carrier tied up at the pier at the end of every show pretty much. It was like they only went sailing for the weekend.

I do remember one episode where one pilot is forced to eject and spends most of the show waiting to be rescued. Glad it didn't last.

lol, Gaijin, what would I have to do to get a copy of those tapes? :)

It sucks that the show got cancelled for that reason.... as if the military never heard of anything called "fiction" before.... A funny thing is if I remember correctly, the carrier was "supposed" to be nuclear... so using a steamer makes it all the more funny.

The JFK was either the last or the second to last steamer before the Nimitz came out... I think.

Edited by Skull Leader

lol, Gaijin, what would I have to do to get a copy of those tapes? :)

It sucks that the show got cancelled for that reason.... as if the military never heard of anything called "fiction" before.... A funny thing is if I remember correctly, the carrier was "supposed" to be nuclear... so using a steamer makes it all the more funny.

The JFK was either the last or the second to last steamer before the Nimitz came out... I think.

It's always been the policy of the Armed Forces to back movies/shows that show them in a good light (free recruiting), and shun ones that don't (Iron Eagle with the planes being stolen...the Air Force didn't like it). I remember when they pulled the support from that show...lotsa reused footage!!!

And about 10 years ago I trashed the tapes (moldy moldy moldy)...sorry. I'd give 'em to ya if I had 'em. :(

lol, I can find a bio on virtually every actor that was in the series (aired in 1988), but next to NOTHING on the series itself... lol, looks like a whopping EIGHT episodes made it out before it got cut....

Edited by Skull Leader

"Iron Eagle" used Israeli air force F-16s (and some how tried to pass of Mirage fighters as MiGs??? Top Gun was just as guilty of that only it was F-5s) the USAF took one good look at the script and said "hell noooooooo" If that weren't bad enough, they used the same footage in "Iron Eagle 2" (and if you REALLY wanna go low class, watch "Flight of Black Angel", which prominently displays a tomcat on the cover, yet features Iron Eagle footage in the movie)

Edited by Skull Leader

"Iron Eagle" used Israeli air force F-16s (and some how tried to pass of Mirage fighters as MiGs??? Top Gun was just as guilty of that only it was F-5s) the USAF took one good look at the script and said "hell noooooooo" If that weren't bad enough, they used the same footage in "Iron Eagle 2" (and if you REALLY wanna go low class, watch "Flight of Black Angel", which prominently displays a tomcat on the cover, yet features Iron Eagle footage in the movie)

A lot of films and TV shows used Iron Eagle and Top Gun footage...I remember an episode of Macguyver having Top Gun footage...

And going OT, remember that popular Pepsi commercial at the beginning of the Top Gun VHS when it was first released where he inverts his A-4 to pour his Pepsi? :lol:

I remember the episode first described, but nothing else.

Amazingly, I have an old Testor's catalog, with "Super Carrier" kits! It's supposed to be the USS Georgetown, CVN-71. (or so they say) :) Kit was the Nimitz, BTW. :) They also had an F-14, F-18 and AV-8B kit. US Harriers are sometimes on "real" carriers, but it's pretty darn rare, and hasn't been done in decades AFAIK. Doubt they'd be on the show, or they were using fairly obscure footage.

It's was pretty awful. Just a lame attempt to cash in on the "Top Gun" and "Iron Eagle" enthusiasm on television, instead of the big screen. Of course, this is back when "action" shows ruled television.

As hokey as Supercarrier was... it was no "The Highwayman" with the Austrailian Energizer pitchman Jacko in a major role... OY! That was way worse... and a wannabe Road Warrior ripoff to boot.

I remember the episode first described, but nothing else.

Amazingly, I have an old Testor's catalog, with "Super Carrier" kits! It's supposed to be the USS Georgetown, CVN-71. (or so they say) :) Kit was the Nimitz, BTW. :) They also had an F-14, F-18 and AV-8B kit. US Harriers are sometimes on "real" carriers, but it's pretty darn rare, and hasn't been done in decades AFAIK. Doubt they'd be on the show, or they were using fairly obscure footage.

I remember seeing an F-14 kit for "SuperCarrier"... surprisingly enough, I seem to recall it being from the "Tophatters" squadron which served on the JFK in the mid-late 80s (along with the "swordsmen").

At least the markings were accurate I guess.

Ha! I shall not stop my search until I find those episodes somewhere....

BTW, USS JFK is CV-67. Anything that denotes a "N" mean Nuclear. Yes I remember that show Supercarrier. I got the book that the TV show was based on as well. It was cool at the time but I think it is lame now. The book was better since it was the author writing his time on being on a carrier.