NEW(ER) AVP (Aliens versus Predator) Trailer.

What's funny is that I see this forum as being rather "tame" in comparison to most of the forums out there where they discuss movies or whatever. A similar thread in Offtopic.com would've landed a hundred or so replies of words far more critical than "crap". I'm not going to even talk about the critical thrashing it's probably taking at Aint It Cool news...

Yeah, the new movie will probably suck, so we should just sit in our homes and play with our AVP figures, imagining some fantastic story that will have us up 'till dawn. Heck, I'll even throw in my G-Taste figures to add a little spice.

A bad movie is better than no movie at all. Who cares if it doesn't shatter our expectations of what an AVP/character franchise movie should be? It's a chance to see two of some of the coolest characters in 'sci-fi do what they do best-kill, kill, kill....

Also think that they've gone thru a dozen rewrites and somehow, the director either amazed them to think, "Okay he knows what he's talking about" or, "Damn lets just get this thing done and over with so we can market on the action figures."

I'm gonna go watch AVP and Yugioh friday....cause it'll be a boring day and I'll have cash to blow, the end.

It's as if NO film made now days will be right in the eyes here. 

:blink:

This is MacrossWorld. Mindless bashing on unreleased products is the norm here.

It really is sad.

i'm in a school with a pretty hefty film program, and all the instructors agree that movie making now a days has gone way down hill, and point back to the mid-eightys early nightys as the begin of the decent.

movies just arn't that good right now. most likely due to poor economy and shacky opinion on world affairs.

go take a look at indipendant movies, you won't see much scifi but you'll see "better" movies.

i'm in a school with a pretty hefty film program, and all the instructors agree that movie making now a days has gone way down hill, and point back to the mid-eightys early nightys as the begin of the decent.

movies just arn't that good right now. most likely due to poor economy and shacky opinion on world affairs.

go take a look at indipendant movies, you won't see much scifi but you'll see "better" movies.

I don't think the poor economy has anything to do with the decline in quality, since the movie industry makes waaaaay more now than in the past. There weren't that many multi-million dollar fantasy/sci-fi trilogies (other than Star Wars) prior to now. Movie megaplexes are opening up everywhere.

I'd blame on the modern tastes and the internet for the declining quality, after all back in the day only the professional movie critics had power since they were the only ones who could desseminate their opinions on movies to the mass media. Now with the internet, every tom dick and harry old enough to type can blurt out "dis movie ROXXORZ" and everyone's an amateur critic and it reaches a lot more people now than ever. The other thing is who has more time to go watch movies, teens or working adults? So of course they are going to cater towards their tastes.

I just got my predator figures in the mail. Particularly "Scar" and the "celtic" predators from Alien Vs. Predator. All I can say its nicely detailed and multi-posable(?). My gripe is..What is it with McFarlane toys and their Quality Control? :angry: My Celtic predator has his Left hip fused to the supposedly movable joint. I dont know if its just me or I keep winning the Mcfarlane broken joint lottery, because I've gotten figures from Mcfarlane before with "fused" joints like these. ( and their were supposed to be movable) :blink:

Freezing it just breaks the joint entirely, heating it up with a hair drier might do the trick. I often have to pluck detailed pieces out of mcfarlane figures and re-glue them back cause theyre put on lop sided. It seemed like the figure was rushed out of the factory. Also it looks like they used the same body mold from the predator 2 figures with newly molded forearms and calves. <_<

I've got a long night tonight playing toy doctor!! lemme see, where's my blow drier, super glue, x-acto knife and... hehehe..you get my point. Good luck to all of you trying to pick up these figures. Theyre available in amazon.com and towerrecords.com, but I havent seen them localy in any store. I dont know about the alien figures, but the predators definitely lose this round. :D

movies just arn't that good right now.  most likely due to poor economy and shacky opinion on world affairs.

I don't think the poor economy has anything to do with the decline in quality, since the movie industry makes waaaaay more now than in the past. There weren't that many multi-million dollar fantasy/sci-fi trilogies (other than Star Wars) prior to now. Movie megaplexes are opening up everywhere.

I'd blame on the modern tastes and the internet for the declining quality, after all back in the day only the professional movie critics had power since they were the only ones who could desseminate their opinions on movies to the mass media. Now with the internet, every tom dick and harry old enough to type can blurt out "dis movie ROXXORZ" and everyone's an amateur critic and it reaches a lot more people now than ever. The other thing is who has more time to go watch movies, teens or working adults? So of course they are going to cater towards their tastes.

good points...

holytoledo69:

can we see pics?

This is MacrossWorld. Mindless bashing on unreleased products is the norm here.

It really is sad.

Oh come now. Macross World is hardly the lone voice of dissent in regards to AvP, and while we've made some cracks at is expense, I'd hesitate to call all of our comments "mindless." Is it so wrong to have an opinion that's negative about something? If there's anything "mindless" it's the cheerleaders who seem to come out of the woodwork in topics like this, who simply parrot things like "This looks good" or "I like Alien. I like Predator. Therefore AVP will be a good movie."

Mindless enthusiasm without any critical thinking is what's really sad.

It's the mindless bashing of the negative opinion that I can't stand... :lol:

Seriously... I can care less about both franchise now. Both properties in their own material hasn't been taken to it's best form in years. I doubt that Paul WS Anderson is the guy to take them there... :rolleyes:

This is MacrossWorld.  Mindless bashing on unreleased products is the norm here.

It really is sad.

Oh come now. Macross World is hardly the lone voice of dissent in regards to AvP, and while we've made some cracks at is expense, I'd hesitate to call all of our comments "mindless." Is it so wrong to have an opinion that's negative about something? If there's anything "mindless" it's the cheerleaders who seem to come out of the woodwork in topics like this, who simply parrot things like "This looks good" or "I like Alien. I like Predator. Therefore AVP will be a good movie."

he's right.

saying "this will rool because predator is totaly rad and will kill all the aliens" is just as mindless as saying "this movie will suck because it's new and the originals are super gold"

i think the fact that the director did mortal kombat and resident evil, and that i think both of THOSE sci-fi-ish movies sucked alot, makes it a pretty NON mindless assumption for me to think this movie is going to suck quite a bit.

on IMDB non of his movies broke the 7stars mark.. and his movies closest to relating to this one, RE and MK both got stars in the 5 range.

i'd say estimates that this xeno-pred mishmash will be bad are pretty much right on and well founded :)

post-26-1092099896.jpg

Edited by KingNor

Since when an either the Alien or the Predator survive being flung through a wall?

Predator 2, towards the end when Harrigan gets the disc and uses it to slice of Preddy's arm. The Predator goes hurtling down the side of the building, catches on a downspout, swings across the alleyway and through the hefty brick wall of the neighbouring apartment building.

I'm not referring to just AvP, sadly. I'm talking about all the yakking going on in the I, Robot thread, the multiple "me, too" posts in the Star Wars DVD thread, the majority of the dissenting voices in the MPC thread about the Alpha, the Robotech game thread, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

It just doesn't seem to end, really.

I like Mortal Kombat... because it managed to stick pretty close to the story, and found a cheesy middle ground. Plus it proved that an acceptable film could be made based on the insanity portrayed in video games.

T3 - For me... knocked T2 to the number 3 favorite Terminator movie for me. Less hug, more shoot.

AVP - Aliens.... Predators.... people dying... works for me. If it sucks, it sucks... if not... party time. I've been waiting for this movie since Predator 2, so I'm not going to let fanboys for or against the film taint my views just yet. I'll get back to you guys Friday. :)

Oh and don't get me started on this supposed decline of cinema. The 80's? Relatively few films still hold up today, how many times have you bought a DVD from back in the day only to discover yourself the victim of nostalgia?

I'm not referring to just AvP, sadly. I'm talking about all the yakking going on in the I, Robot thread, the multiple "me, too" posts in the Star Wars DVD thread, the majority of the dissenting voices in the MPC thread about the Alpha, the Robotech game thread, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

i robot, the starwars DVDS and more or less all Robotech games DO suck!

so what if we bitch about it. i like robots, starwars and videogames, when they arn't intresting and fun, it makes me want to bitch about it!

also, i thought the responce to the mpc alpha was generally good, has that changed?

anyway, AVP not rated R-nold = not good movie.

Relatively few films still hold up today, how many times have you bought a DVD from back in the day only to discover yourself the victim of nostalgia?

The Road Warrior still kicks each and every one of our asses.

Same with Highlander. :)

Oh and don't get me started on this supposed decline of cinema. The 80's? Relatively few films still hold up today, how many times have you bought a DVD from back in the day only to discover yourself the victim of nostalgia?

Lol, the 80s were never the golden age of cinema, that's for sure. But you can't deny the power of 80s teen sex romp movies! :lol:

There are bad movies and good movies in every decade sure, but it's the ratio of diamonds to ass nuggets that probably concerns people who believe that there is a decline. There seems to be more and more crap coming out and relatively few masterpieces, but then again they do make a LOT more movies now than in the past. So maybe it's the same all in all, but the sheer amount of movies being produced just makes it seem like there's more crap.

You want bad movie? Watch Ishtar!! :p

While I don't think AVP will be great, it may be some great mindless action...I hope. Sometimes I need movies with substance...sometimes I want mindless entertainment.

On a side note...wasn't there at one point an Aliens: Colonial Marines movie idea being tossed around?

I think that'd be very cool.

i robot, the starwars DVDS and more or less all Robotech games DO suck!

so what if we bitch about it.  i like robots, starwars and videogames, when they arn't intresting and fun, it makes me want to bitch about it!

Oh, be my guest to bitch away about stuff that you don't find interesting and fun.

Just be kind enough to experience said stuff for yourself, first. I'll have to take your word on I, Robot since I haven't seen it myself, and I'll withold my judgement on the Star Wars DVDs and the new Robotech game until their released.

So far, I've been impressed with what I've been told about each of those things, but any real judgement will have to wait for now.

EDIT

Where did you hear that AvP isn't rated R?

Edited by CoryHolmes

Well, the article said that it was relatively common.

If it gets edited up to the final day and beyond, I don't mind. Hell, if they pushed the film back to later August, I wouldn't mind. I just want to see this movie, when its finished.

Hopefully this will give me my mindless action fix like the other films in both series.

Totally unrelated, but it reminds me of when they were doing Highlander2 and they were going over production costs so the sponsors and insurance companies came in, canned the project, edited it to how they saw fit and people cried how horrible the movie was....than wha nearly 10 years later they got their hands on it and reworked it just a tad to make it a bit better.

Funny if that would happen to AVP? :ph34r:

Totally unrelated, but it reminds me of when they were doing Highlander2 and they were going over production costs so the sponsors and insurance companies came in, canned the project, edited it to how they saw fit and people cried how horrible the movie was....than wha nearly 10 years later they got their hands on it and reworked it just a tad to make it a bit better.

Funny if that would happen to AVP? :ph34r:

Hahah... yes!

Didn't they do something to that effect w/ Highlander 4? I was going to ask earlier, but I didn't want to get too OT. I've heard that the Theatrical release is different from the DVD. Which is probably a good thing because umm.... the one I saw in theatres was a total waste of my time... and I love Highlander. (pff... they killed the cool one too)...

Well looks like someone doesnt want me to go see AVP. I live in Orlando, Florida USA and if anyone doesnt know Hurricane Charlie is supposed to go right through florida on friday. Right now though im worried more about the Charlie then AVP.

I was just thinking about the pyramid that they are in. Since there is no way in and out after the doors close from what i can guess shouldnt they run out of oxygen after a while. Though the human body only uses about 7% or 14% of the oxygen you breath i cant remember which though. just a little someting to add.

How can a film be rated for SLIME :blink: just odd to me?

I see on the voter pop up that people are voting for Predator more then alien. :D:p

Well looks like someone doesnt want me to go see AVP. I live in Orlando, Florida USA and if anyone doesnt know Hurricane Charlie is supposed to go right through florida on friday. Right now though im worried more about the Charlie then AVP.

I was just thinking about the pyramid that they are in. Since there is no way in and out after the doors close from what i can guess shouldnt they run out of oxygen after a while. Though the human body only uses about 7% or 14% of the oxygen you breath i cant remember which though. just a little someting to add.

How can a film be rated for SLIME :blink: just odd to me?

I see on the voter pop up that people are voting for Predator more then alien. :D:p

Predator almost beat Arnold.

Arnold > Predators > Aliens

Preds will win... and all the non-Arnolds will lose.