New Evangelion Platinum update

This'll actually be the 3rd time I've bought Eva complete. :lol:

Got the VHS tapes, bought the first two dvd's when they first came out and stopped, eventually bought the black box set, then the DC's when those came out (geve the old vol 1,2,7,8 to by brother, still owe him 3-6) and now I'll get these.

Don't forget the manga.

Edited by Anubis

ADV's rereleasing Nadesico?

Yup, starting this september they're re-releasing Nadessico in 3 mini thinpack box sets. All will be remastered (and the best part) without the english text overlays on everything.

Anything else special about it? I mean really, I got the hole frickin' thing for all of $30(Great Deal! :D ) and I'm happy with it. Why should I be interested in a new release?

Don't recall, though you may want to check those disc's to make sure they haven't gone bad, as I think the 5th or 6th disc were included in the reported "dvd rot" ADV disc's (a certain period of ADV's releases have shown to go bad).

Animenation's been kind enough to post a few comparison sample shots. I think I'll have to make some time and sit through the disc this weekend.

Sample 1

post-26-1091743081.jpg

Big difference with this remaster. I like so far. :)

Sample 2

post-26-1091743132.jpg

wot is the diff between this version and the directors cut?

Does it also include the directors cut but just remastered?

thxns

I asked someone at Anime Expo and they straight from the ADV people, they said that when they get to those discs that had director's cuts, the platinum editions will have those same material.

Anyone that has this, did they change the Japanese in the signs to be English like in the first DVDs or did they leave them in Japanese?

• 1 month later...

ADV's removing the overlays from Nadesico, so I doubt they'd readd them to Eva, after the fuss over it last time. The Nadesico re-release will only be three sets at about 15 bucks a piece, much more worth considering than Eva Platinum. I have Eva on video, without the DC. I too thought it was sad that they announce it right after DC was released. "Oh, we're sorry, if we had told you, there'd have been no reason for you to have given us 40-60 bucks for the DC." Sounds like the reasoning of the man who got his start selling 150 dollar Famicons for 1,500 here. :angry:

As for the pics, I've seen the remaster through fansubs, those pics look awful by comparison. When I saw those pics the first time, I thought that all they'd done was up the contrast, darken the brightness, increase saturation, and add a yellow tint. <_<<_<

As for the pics, I've seen the remaster through fansubs, those pics look awful by comparison. When I saw those pics the first time, I thought that all they'd done was up the contrast, darken the brightness, increase saturation, and add a yellow tint. <_<<_<

So how DOES the remaster actually look? Better or worse than those pics?

As for the pics, I've seen the remaster through fansubs, those pics look awful by comparison. When I saw those pics the first time, I thought that all they'd done was up the contrast, darken the brightness, increase saturation, and add a yellow tint.   <_<  <_<

So how DOES the remaster actually look? Better or worse than those pics?

It's like night and day. Awesome. The remaster came out great.

Edited by Anubis

I wouldn't say that they're like night and day, but the pics definately do not represent the quality at all. I badmouthed the remaster after seeing the pics. Then saw some of it, and realized that they actually did restore them and not just mess with the contrast. All in all, they look great, minus the dumb Unit01 eye's darkening in episode one, the 5.1 sounds great;though Anno issisted on the film being in stereo when it was released, so I'm kind of against it; Gainax's R2's contained the original stereo, ADV and Manga did not. However, it's just something I can't justify buying. Better quality or not, I can't imagine forking over more money to ADV for something I already have on a format I actually like. It's also kind of sad that something that used to be a con-exclusive(the decal) is now owned by everyone. Though that's just a nitpick. :rolleyes: It just comes off to me as another move by both ADV and Gainax to squeeze more money out of the fandom.

It just comes off to me as another move by both ADV and Gainax to squeeze more money out of the fandom.

So what else is new?

Nothing as far as Gainax is concerned. I'll probably get this when the whole series is out. I need to replace the set I had that my girlfriend somehow lost somewhere. (Hint: Tossed in the trash. She hates EVA)

I'm also feeling the pinch with the re-release of the remastered Top O Nerae! Gunbuster boxed set.

I need to replace the set I had that my girlfriend somehow lost somewhere. (Hint: Tossed in the trash. She hates EVA)

Looks like it's time to lose that girlfriend...

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it's time to lose that girlfriend...

Nah, I'll keep her. She bought my complete Macross series on DVD for my birthday last year, and also bought my pre-painted Noriko Takaya figure a few months back. She is even taking me to see the new Ghost in the Shell film for my birthday this year, which incidentally opens in Greenbelt, Maryland on October 8th. So, she does like anime, but just hates Eva. It's a love/hate thing for a lot of fans you know.

I also broke down and bought the box and first volume on Saturday. Haven't watched it though, but will get to it when I have the complete series.

Based on what youve seen in volume 1, do you think it would be worth the extra $ to get the platinum edition over the regular box set?

Depends. If you haven't bought Eva yet then definately go buy the Platinum version. If you already own the first box set, then it depends on how much you love Eva wether or not you'll buy the platinum set as well. I love it enough to be buying it my 3rd time now.

Nothing as far as Gainax is concerned. I'll probably get this when the whole series is out. I need to replace the set I had that my girlfriend somehow lost somewhere. (Hint: Tossed in the trash. She hates EVA)

I'm also feeling the pinch with the re-release of the remastered Top O Nerae! Gunbuster boxed set.

Why is she STILL your girlfriend? :ph34r::p:lol:

I'm buying this set because I never bought any of the previous ones since I expected ADV to pull crap like this. So now I have to get this, Nadia and Nadesico.

Based on what youve seen in volume 1, do you think it would be worth the extra $ to get the platinum edition over the regular box set?

yes. no question. despite it being slightly inferior (depending on your view) to the R2 renewal set this is without question the best edition of Eva to hit R1. I just finished watching volume 2 and the difference in quality is remarkable.

From a collector's perspective be careful with your new box though. the silver box takes damage easily (particularly if ordered online) and the cardboard slipcovers also need some care.

yes. no question. despite it being slightly inferior (depending on your view) to the R2 renewal set this is without question the best edition of Eva to hit R1. I just finished watching volume 2 and the difference in quality is remarkable.

From a collector's perspective be careful with your new box though. the silver box takes damage easily (particularly if ordered online) and the cardboard slipcovers also need some care.

do you know if the original dvd release gets 'pixelated' during still frames? thats the main thing i care about alot of my older dvd that were probably transfered from vhs or sometihng by the companies gets pixelized when there isnt much motion ont he screen or when u pause but i kno that all the recent ones that were orignally made to be dvd dont, so was the boxset release a vhs transfer or really made for dvd?