Petals around the rose

wolfx

Gah! My brain! 40 minutes and still nuttin'. It's probably something ridiculously simple. Christ, I'll be an old man going on the internet everyday, playing that game and trying to figure it out. I'll resume tomorrow when my head is more cooled off :p

Edited by Mellow Yellow

I still don't understand the difficulty here. Petals around the rose? Five, ten tries at max and everyone should be able to find the solution. But to take years? C'mon.

"the smarter you are, the longer it takes"

I'd agree that the more you overanalyze anything, the harder it becomes. That certainly isn't a sign of brilliance, however.

Edited by Etrigan

Blame etrigen and stamen for pointing it out very clearly for everyone. I instead was pointed away from that clue.

"Don't bother about the flower thing....its hypothetical"

<_<

Thanks for spoiling it for everyone, guys. <_<

Don't listen to what people tell you. ;-)

I'm a computer engineer student, meaning I program too, and I had no problems with this.

Sometimes the correct answer is the most obvious one. Instead of working from abstract to obvious, work from the obvious to the abstract.

EDIT: I'm editting my post above so I don't give people the hint :-P

Edited by Stamen0083

hahahaaa wooo i figured it outtt yesss. i saw this on blues news the other day tried it for about 10 minutes without any positive results. i read this thread and decided to try again. and this time i did it in like 4 seconds. woooo. hehehe how f-ing simple, before that ,like it was said before by you guys, i over analyzed it all. hehe it kinda made me hate myself wen i couldn't figure it out, lol until i realized its just a fun game :D. but now im happy again.

Hehe if you cant figure it out, please, don't be so hard on yourself.

Blame etrigen and stamen for pointing it out very clearly for everyone.

Blame who?

The name of the game is Petals Around the Rose, and that name is significant. Newcomers to the game can be told that much. They can also be told that every answer is zero or an even number. They can also be told the answer for every throw of the dice that are used in the game. And that's all the information they get.

It's one of three prerequisites for the game. Hell, it's the name of the game.

:ph34r::lol:

So....this is one of those little puzzles that make computer geeks feel better about themselves? <_<

It is a bit weird to see how proud of themselves people can get when they solve something like this really quickly. People's brains are wired in all kinds of different ways. This is hardly a test to see if you're John Nash. ;)

It is a bit weird to see how proud of themselves people can get when they solve something like this really quickly. People's brains are wired in all kinds of different ways. This is hardly a test to see if you're John Nash. ;)

My imaginary friend says you're right.

Ditto

It's a fun game, which is not necessarily indicative of intelligence.

I'll admit that I definitely over analyzed the puzzle, which is characteristic of geniuses such as myself and Bill Gates. :p

God, it took me a total of 1h 25mins. I must be some sort of moron (or maybe the opposite). I totally over-analyzed it <_< Simple math is right, christ almighty. I even thought the word Rose was a play on the word Rows, and thought that might be something, but hell no, that was wrong :lol:

Well, no one's gotta be as bad as that guy's professor.

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Wasn't this also know as polar bears around the ice hole or something? It seems exactly the same with a more vague reference with the petals and rose since petals are attached to roses.

What math? Counting?

Edited by Gaijin

Wasn't this also know as polar bears around the ice hole or something? It seems exactly the same with a more vague reference with the petals and rose since petals are attached to roses.

What math? Counting?

Yes, simple addition. It wasn't even worth mentioning in the description of the game <_<