OK, I just got my new 1/48 Fast Packs...

wm cheng

Hi all,

Woohoo, I just got my fast packs today and have been playing with them for the last few hours and I have a few question to fellow owners and Graham.

1/ The arms with the missile packs on them - is there a more rigid way for them to lock together - they just tuck inside the leg engines (in the fighter mode), and I see the half-round circular indentations on the missile packs to indicate where the old pegs go - but they do not "click" in - it just kind of sits there, and occassionally flops down, especially with the gun in place. However, when I hold the heavy sucker, I usually hold it by the leg armours and that presses the legs together to hold up the arms. Am I missing some peg or click that locks the arms up - everything else seems so well designed to lock together so well, it seems odd that the arms are just left to dangle?

2/ That brings me to the second question, with the gun pod in place and the landing gear fully extended, the gun pod red beacon light just barely touches the ground - I mean its only less than 1mm from the surface - doesn't that strike anyone as being too close to the ground? Or am I not positioning the arms correctly to tuck itself up higher - I think I have the shoulders as high as they will go?

3/ My VF-1S has always had a bit of a loose nose gear problem - but with these heavy packs, when I roll it, they sometimes (not always) push back a bit, in fact one of my rear gears also push back a bit - its just a tiny bit, but noticable. Has anyone else encountered this? I guess cracking open the nose and filing down that plastic bump to close the diagonal gap in the nose section is definitely out now. Is there any suggestions to make the forward gear click down more rigidly to support the increased wieght with the fast packs - plus the newer nose down angle of attack (which I love the meaner look) doesn't help things either.

4/ I'm not sure about this - I must watch DYRL again, especially the opening scene where you see the Valkyries head on when they are hauled out on the launch arms - the front of the missile packs - is there a right and a left? As indicated by the little red dot on the lower right. Both my missile packs have the little red dot on the lower right hand side when viewed from the front. Are there supposed to be a left and right mirrors of each pack, did I get two right hand pack fronts or did Yamato never bother to sculpt a left hand mirror replacement for the twin barrelled gun?

Now don't get me wrong - you might get the idea that I'm not absolutely thrilled with the fast pack add-ons - nothing could be further from the truth, I really love them!! :D:D

It would be great if someone could do a little translation on the instruciton booklet especially step 10 on page 6 the little photo (to the right of the bigger one with the arrows) that highlight or outline in black the bump in the hinge - what's that about?

The metal connecting pin went into my Valkyrie backpack so stiffly that when I removed one side of the fast pack, the metal piece pulled right out of the fast pack - it stayed behind with the backpack! I'm sure with a pair of pliers and I can yank that sucker out, but I am a bit worried that this is a friction fit lock especially when we are attaching them perpendicular to the direction of the fast-pack hinges (shear is our worst enemy) - but we're adults here right and we won't treat our $300+ (cdn) toys too roughly :p

I do love the porportions of these packs - I can't believe how much heft and substance it adds to the Valkyrie. It makes the 1/60 looks so puny! :lol: Of course, the detail, ah, what can I say (for a toy) - I plan on doing a dark wash to pick out all the nice machinery details, and a lighter dry brush to pick up the raised details - I don't want to re-paint them - they are a toy and not a model - but it won't take too much to make them look spectacular. Now it doesn't make me feel too bad about not getting Blackaces 1/48 re-cast (believe me, I was really distraught when I couldn't justify to myself $450 (cdn) for that model). This toy does make me feel better about it though :p

I love the fact that the forward section of the missile packs have vents that go though to the internal workings and are matched with vents inside at that locaiton too - same with the leg packs - really nice touch Yamato!

The supplied missiles seemed a bit long - especially at the rear after the "break". Unfortunately, to get the loadout to be like the opening scene in DYRL, the double missiles are awfully close if not touching the rectangular micro missile launchers - depending on the sweep of the wings. I tend not to like it when they are swept out too far.

I'm sure I'll come up with more comments later as I play with them more - oh man! can they add anymore plastic to connect these little micro missiles to the sprue/tree - the connection is so thick!! - it will take some careful cutting and sanding to re-shape them circular. Oh, could you tell me where the "budwiser can" stickers go, do they go on the micro missiles?

I would love to hear if anyone agrees or thinks I'm too nitpicky - or can answer any of my questions. Just my two cents... thanks for tuning in :p

I also just got my FAST Packs for the 1/48 Scale Yamato Valkyrie yesterday. They look fantastic! My god, I can't praise them enough. THey add so much to the Valkyrie, especially in fighter mode. They do indeed add a lot of size to the 1/48. The look of a GPB-1 Armor set for the 1/48 Yammie now has me a little scared :)

I've run into the fighter mode leg problem as well. Though I only have this problem with my VF-1S yammie, not the VF-1A. I think it has something to do with the knee joints on the legs. They appear to give horizontally a little more on my VF-1S than my VF-1A. I also hold my valkyire by the legs in fighter so it's no big deal. I have encountered the drop down problem you spoke of, but it's easy to solve with a little positioning for display.

Can't really comment on the other points, so hopefully some other fellas can help you out. I'm enjoying the FAST Packs and am very happy with the purchase so far.

Still waiting for mine, but I think I know what you're talking about with #2 above. Due to the placement of the die-cast swingbar, the shoulders won't sit as high as they're supposed to in fighter mode on the 1/48's. Compare it a Hasegawa or the line art, and you can see that the arms on the 1/48 just sit too low in fighter mode (they should be just about level with the head, and obviously aren't). That's not a rip or a complaint - it's just one of the few necessary compromises made in this sculpt, and that's why the gunpod will always sit too low - FAST packs or not.

I also think that's why the arms were made so skinny - to minimize the effect this had on the fighter mode profile.

Edited by Batou

2/ That brings me to the second question, with the gun pod in place and the landing gear fully extended, the gun pod red beacon light just barely touches the ground - I mean its only less than 1mm from the surface - doesn't that strike anyone as being too close to the ground? Or am I not positioning the arms correctly to tuck itself up higher - I think I have the shoulders as high as they will go?

:angry::angry: Was your gun pod trigger in collapse mode meaning the trigger is being push inside the gun pod as oppose of extending outward. Because that would help to cut down the gun pod height when attaching onto fighter mode jet. By pushing the trigger inside the gunpod, the tip of the gun doesn't tilt down as much when you attach onto fighter jet.

Secondly, make sure the lower arm/wrist is being connected onto the leg connection peg tightly so the lower arm doesn't plung down.

Those are the only 2 solution that I could think off. But, yeah, the landing gear could you use another 1/4" in height to help the gunpod from touching the ground when attaching onto fighter mode jet.

Is the gun pod clearance only an issue with the FAST packs attached? If so, I wouldn't worry about it (in terms of verisimilitude) since FAST packs are only for space, and since DYRL we've established that Valks don't "take off" using their landing gear in space. I doubt they land on their gear either (though I don't think it's ever shown--maybe in one of the games or later anime). So as long as there's enough clearance to wheel the Valk on the hangar deck, it should be okay.

On the other hand, if the clearance issue is w/o FAST packs, it'd be a concern since during landing in an atmosphere the shock absorbers would probably allow the gunpod to hit the ground. (My 1/48 is in its box right now so I can't check easily.)

Yah, the gun handle is completely collapsed, and the gun is tight to the underside of the arm missile packs - its the downward angle of the entire Valk that tips the forward part of the gun down.

The leg connection peg to the arm is just a shallow disk, and the new connection point with the arm missile launchers are really just a half-circular depression in the pack. Nothing really clicks in - unless I'm missing something.

Its just tat I usually display the Valk with the gears down sitting on a surface - and the dragging gun pod looks wierd. :(

All that you have stated is the same with possibly any fastpack out there, well maybe except for the landing gear, I guess that will depend on what 1/48 you have.

The micro missle pack on mine both are the same, no left or right side (just look at that red dot) :lol:

As for the arms, yes it just hangs on those little holes. For the gunpod, yup that red thingie kisses the ground :lol:

Probably why they always land on Gerwalk mode.

Edited by Otaru Ikari

I've been mulling with the idea of creating a small connection strut to hold the arms/gunpod section in Super Fighter mode for my VF-1S. I don't have the problem with my VF-1A, but the VF-1S has an almost imperceptible weaker knee construction than my VF-1A. Making the strut shouldn't be that hard; there's plenty of anchor points one could use. I'm just trying to think of what I could use and what would work.

Luckily none of my 1/48s have a problem with the landing gear collapsing under the weight of the FPs. Anyway, for fighter mode with FPs, I prefer to use one of s i t h l o r d s display stands to have it flying with gear up. Looks way better that way IMO.

I agree about the arm FPs not locking in place firmly enough. I wish Yamato had designed this area a little better. When I pick up the toy in fighter mode, I usually just squeeze the legs together slightly, to stop the arms w/FPs drooping.

And there is no seperate left and right FP missile pack. This is correct, not Yamato being lazy, as shown on page 40 of the Macross Design Works Book.

Regarding the closeness of the double RMS-1 missiles to the rectangular UMM-7 micro-missile pod, when you watch DYRL, you can see that in the space scenes, the VF-1's have their wings full open (or near full open) to gain maximum benefit from the wingtip roll thrusters.

Graham

Luckily none of my 1/48s have a problem with the landing gear collapsing under the weight of the FPs. Anyway, for fighter mode with FPs, I prefer to use one of s i t h l o r d s display stands to have it flying with gear up. Looks way better that way IMO.

I agree about the arm FPs not locking in place firmly enough. I wish Yamato had designed this area a little better. When I pick up the toy in fighter mode, I usually just squeeze the legs together slightly, to stop the arms w/FPs drooping.

And there is no seperate left and right FP missile pack. This is correct, not Yamato being lazy, as shown on page 40 of the Macross Design Works Book.

Regarding the closeness of the double RMS-1 missiles to the rectangular UMM-7 micro-missile pod, when you watch DYRL, you can see that in the space scenes, the VF-1's have their wings full open (or near full open) to gain maximum benefit from the wingtip roll thrusters.

Graham

And so the wise one speaks "bows"

Hey graham would there be a re-run in the production of the 1/48 Fps but with improved/modifications to the arms Fps if the sales for these batch are good? Cant wait to get mine!! When are they coming? <_<

Cheers

:ph34r::D

Picked up 3 sets from Treasure Island at Frank and Sons last Saturday.

First and foremost I want to make a disclaimer and say that I am completely happy with my purchase.

The fast packs make my valks Godlike. These are the toys I dreamed of since I was about 10 years old.

I did encounter 1 of the issues that WM Cheng experienced and 2 others I haven't seen mentioned in this thread or elsewhere.

1. The saggin arm thing? Well My Hikaru 1A doesn't have it but my Focker 1S definitely does.

2. I opened 2 of my 3 sets and for some reason in both of them, both the left side RMS missles on the rack (if you look at them facing you) are very loose.

3. The front parts of the boosters are loose and don't lock in place very good.

These issues in no way negate my satisfaction with the way these things look. No buyers remorse here.

just reporting my finds and was curious to see if anyone else ecountered these or if this was just a one off.

The boxes for my fast packs were a bit dinged up so I don't know if these issues were a result of the boxes being roughly handled during shipping.

post-4-1063344433_thumb.jpg

Hi guys and gals,I just got me FP yesterday and I was thrill!!!! :lol: They make the regular bandai look like dwarf. HEE HEE.

I dont mean to be a spoil spot here but i also encounter some of the problem like all of you but the thing that catches my attention is the valk back pack hinge problem. With the FP on in battroid mode, we need to use the extra piece that came with the FP. Now the problem, we need to depress the back plate in that means the back pack need to be some what force back, wont this cause the back pack problem to re-surface???? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry dont have any photo to show you all what i mean (pic speak a thousand words)

Hi guys and gals,I just got me FP yesterday and I was thrill!!!! :lol: They make the regular bandai look like dwarf. HEE HEE.

I dont mean to be a spoil spot here but i also encounter some of the problem like all of you but the thing that catches my attention is the valk back pack hinge problem. With the FP on in battroid mode, we need to use the extra piece that came with the FP. Now the problem, we need to depress the back plate in that means the back pack need to be some what force back, wont this cause the back pack problem to re-surface???? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry dont have any photo to show you all what i mean (pic speak a thousand words)

It shouldn't, unless you start forcing it higher than that little nib on the hinge will allow. All five of mine have folded completely back multiple times and they show no signs of giving out on me. I guess the only thing i do is be careful. If you start seeing stress in the plastic (area turning bright white, etc), then I'd advise against using it. If it breaks on you, you can also try to order a new piece from HLJ or from Monkey-Nugget's piece purchase system from the topic pinned at the top of this forum.

I got mine yesterday, those FPs sure look awesome ;) , I did try to put the FPs on & off several times, go very slowly and gently, so far so good, generally satisfied with them.

However, I have a couple of problems.

1) When I put it in battroid mode, it appears that I got to pose the valks in certain position in order to keep that balanced, those boosters certainly created a lot of weight.

2) There are two square holes at the back pack made for boosters to attach (where the metal pegs of the boosters are inserted) . The holes on the left hand side are fine, those on the right are a bit too tight, I can not put the metal pegs all the way inside these holes. I don't want create any damage by forcing it too much.

Anyone FPs' owner is experiencing similar problems? If so, any suggestions to solve these.

Edited by wasabi-elephant

*snip*

2) There are two square holes at the back pack made for boosters to attach (where the metal pegs of the boosters are inserted) . The holes on the left hand side are fine, those on the right are a bit too tight, I can not put the metal pegs all the way inside these holes. I don't want create any damage by forcing it too much.

Anyone FPs' owner is experiencing similar problems? If so, any suggestions to solve these.

Yes. Now that I've had a much longer time to examine my set, the backpack slots for the FAST Pack prongs are a little too small on the right hand side. I can fit the FAST Pack booster on jkust fine, but it won't go all the way in (mor like 90% of the way in). The other side is indeed fine, but this left hand slot is giving me some trouble.

Maybe I'll just be forcefull like nosch and hope my 1/48 doesn't break under pressure :)

Wow, these FP's are heavy. They look really great. One thing I noticed is that the exit nozzels of the two boosters on the backpack have some limited articulation. Nice!!

Would be nice to have the launch arm hold up the valk for show while the valk really stands on something transparent.. like the stands sithlords selling. That would be perfect.

All my FP problems were described exactly by the previous posts.

-metal looking FP connected stuck on backpack.

-loose micro missles and loose wing dual missles

-floppy arms

Drew

Bud stickers do go on the missiles 

Where on the missiles? And why BUD? I like Fosters! :D

Because you didn't see Hikaru shooting any Fosters missles at Boldoza! ;):lol: I think the cola and bud stickers were a nice touch and a cute little nod to the easter egg in DYRL? I keep wanting to put the stickers on my fast packs...But, I think I will wait until someone cough*Devin*cough makes repro decals for the fp's. :D

Funny thing happened today. I heard the doorbell ring and thought it was Fedex delivering my fastpacks. I opened the door and was disappointed because it was my mother-in-law instead. However, a few hours later the Fedex did deliver and that totally made my day. I was quickly drooling over each part and was suprised how everything was detailed. My favorite detail was the clever way the missile covers are removed.

I did have the same problem where one booster did not want to go all the way into the holes. I used quite a bit of force but was afraid to push too hard because I didn't want to snap the backpack hinge. I fiddled with it for a while and eventually something loosened up and it now works fine. It helps to wiggle it a bit and apply equal pressure from the other side of the backpack without the other booster attached.

...... It helps to wiggle it a bit and apply equal pressure from the other side of the backpack without the other booster attached.

I did try wiggling when taken the booster out, the holes on the right hand side are just too tight for the pegs that I could hardly wiggle a bit. I guess I give it another try. Thanks for your advice.

Here's some helpful advice.....keep the individual Micro Missle's on the sprue. They're not worth the trouble because they NEVER stay in place. Once you slip on the Missle Pod covers they already start to come off their placements. :(

I found that wriggling it worked best - just becareful that you always hold the backpack in place to relieve any strain off those two precious hinges. The first time I removed the right side pack, the metal pin stayed with the backpack, and I had to take a pair of pliers and wriggle it out that way. I have since crazy glued the metal pin portion to the right fast pack - but I don't think I'll be removing it on a daily basis. (Maybe its Yamato's plan to get us to buy another set to play with without the fastpacks :p ) Try a little white glue on the micro missiles, its non-permanent, it you ever want them off again, you just pull them, and the white glue just peels off the plastic. I did a dark oil wash on the missiles and fastpack internals, and it really picked out all the details - they look great! I can't wait for the decals!!

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one with these problems - misery loves company :p No really, I love these toys, and I am so glad/thankful to have them - its just a little realism injected into an otherwise awsome experience.

Yah, I've put on a dark oil wash on the missiles and engine compartment goodies and the details just pop out!! I also put a panel wash on the exterior of the fast packs too. I was going to give the nozzles and main engine bell a shot of airbrush black to simulate some burn, but I'll do that after the decals - I was going to give the fast packs a flat matte clear coat finish when I decal them to help seal in the decals - after that I will give the edges a light dry brushing. I painted the double barrelled gun port and rear exhaust port in Tamiya gun metal.

post-4-1063639637_thumb.jpg

Awesome, just simply beautiful. A master at work again!!

Sorry to say, i wouldnt have the guts or courage to do that to an approximately USD$200 toy aka 1/48 valk/Fps. But im tempted, must resist. :p Guess i would just fiddle around with the lower range as in hasegawa, even though if i messed up i wun feel the pain.

Wmcheng, would you kindly post pictures of the finished product with the decals on, as well as pictures of it in battroid mode with Fps. Hey i noticed something, did you do a mod on the fuselage area, the seams present are gone? Thanks

Cheers

Edited by recon

I will definitely post when I do the decals - must give our bud Anasazi37 some free advertisement for his awesome work!! :D

No, unfortunately I am afraid to open this baby up (this VF-1S already has a loose front gear :( ) and modify the landing gear to eliminate that damn diagonal seam. Man, couldn't they just follow one of the panel lines - instead of a diagonal slash, even if it was horizontal would be good :angry: Its just the angle of the photo and that the gears are retracted so the seam is closed up for the moment. Of course this means when we apply the decals, we have to cut a slit in the decals so that they open along the seam instead of tearing, when the seam opens up to extend or retract the gears.

Howdy WM Cheng,

With your modeling skills, I'm sure you would have absolutely no problems doing the "gap reduction" operation. Of course, you'd risk loosening the landing gear. But, you don't seem to be the sort of person who will be rolling this thing along too much.

I personally can't wait to get my FAST packs so I can confirm that my landing gears didn't loosen so much that they won't be able to support the FAST packs' (reportedly) immense weight. Though, I don't anticipate a problem, I've applied a lot of downward pressure on the backpack and it stay just fine. Rolling it, that's another matter.

Though, actually, I've heard that some people have trouble with the front gear collapsing while rolling even though they've never modified anything.

So, in your case, you might want to consider giving it a try. I have some digital pictures still in my camera that I was going to post to my thread on the procedure. Let me know if you'd like to see them. I gave up on posting them when I re-thought the utility of the operation.

Best Regards,

H

I'm one of those unlucky few that even has a bit of that problem when I roll it without the fast packs. It doesn't collapse, but it does move back a bit - especially now with the fast packs - so I don't think I'll tempt fate and make an already poor situation worst. Unless I can figure out a way of tightening it though.

Man, I am one of those who rolls it around :p - I mean its a toy!, and I zoom it around too - I don't necessarily do that to my models, but I can with this toy!

Is anyone bugged that the packs came in green instead of the blue that we saw in the Yamato photos? I would of personally preferred the blue - more DYRL like. Just nitpicking... :p Don't shot me. :(

Still can't put this toy down - just love it to bits still.