A little help. Looking for a good mech series.

Alright I'm looking for a new mech series to check out. I've seen(and/or own) the following. Are there any others I should check either old or new(would be prefered, especially if it is a continuing series).

Gundam( all but ZZ, second half of Z, second half of V, the last half of SEED, japanese SD series)

Full Metal Panic (season 1 and 2)

Vandread (first series and second series)

Escaflowne (series and movie)

Macross (SDF, DYRL, II, Plus(ova) 7(all), Zero(what has been released))

Robotech(all(the three arcs, Sentinel movie))

Evangelion (series and movies)

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures(series and special episode 14)

Martian Successor Nadesico (series and movie)

Mobile Police Patlabor (first movie)(this was a surprise when I watched it. Didn't think I'd like it but it was a bit slow)

Z.O.E.(Zone of the Enders) Idolo

Those are the mech series I've seen or own. I have majority of them but Patlabor. If anyone can recommend something new that would be great.

On a second note I'm looking for a new adventure series as well. I've checked around Animenfo.com but I'd like the opinions of others on what they've seen.

I"m looking for shows similar to either the following. Having magic is pretty much a plus but not the deciding factor. If it includes comedy that's fine as well.

Record of Lodoss War (OVA)

Scrapped Princess

Maburaho

Final Fantasy Unlimited (along with the Crystals OVA)

El Hazard(original ova and sequal ova)

Any show similar to those, past or present would be great. Though one that is current is prefered, especially if its a long series or with mulit series in it.

Edit: Added El Hazard

Edited by Effect

I'd say check out Kenshin Corps (released stateside under the title Geo Armor here is a link http://store.yahoo.com/animenation/11488.html )...takes place in an alternative history during WWII with and alien invasion going on at the same time...it's sort of adventure in the vien of Indiana Jones...Fun little OVA series, part adventure, comedy, mecha war...with a slight "super robot" undertone...one of my personnel faves :D

Might want to consider Detonator Orgun. It's an older title, so don't expect state-of-the-art animation or effects, but it's a good little mecha series that manages to capture an open viewer's attention and not let go. It's plot is a little on the standard side, but has one HUGE twist that hits most new viewers like a Mac truck.

I'd try the whole Patlabor set, the OAV's and TV series as well. They can sometimes be alternately funny or exciting, and tend to portray less "political intrigue" found in the movies (which are still good).

You shouldn't use the movies as a gauge for the whole franchise, because it varies so much.

Edited by the white drew carey

Try Fang of the Sun Dougram.

Dougram's not availible easily.

I would vote for Dunbine. It's old but long (49 episodes) and ADV is realasing it now. Most of the DVDs can be found for cheap on ebay as it doesn't seem to popular. It also has a fair bit of magic in it.

Oops I forgot to add El Hazard to my list. Its one of my favorite series. Only seen the original and 2nd OVA though. As for Gundam Wing it was my first Gundam experience and I still enjoy it a lot. Its one of the many I've see as well. From what I said in my first post I had seen all of Gundam but the ones I listed.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. Please keep them coming. This is really helping.

Edited by Effect

If you liked Z.O.E: Idolo, then there's also Z.O.E.: Dolores, i. It's a 26 episode(I think) sequel of sorts to Idolo that takes place between the first and second game.

It's for action, adventure, and comedic elements and is, overall, well animated. Idolo ties into it further on in the series, but I won't say how 'less I spoil it.

All 6 volumes of it are now avaible, too, so you won't have to wait for it to get finished up. :D

Voices of a distant star (rent this only a short movie) great movie though

Actually, I was very disappointed with Voices of a Distant Star. Sure, the CGI animation is great, but the cel animation was lacking, iMHO. Also, the story, while showing potential, was wasted in this amateur director's hands. It was wildly dis-jointed and ruined any enjoyment I felt about the aforementioned CGI animation.

Edited by the white drew carey

Mobile Police Patlabor (first movie)(this was a surprise when I watched it. Didn't think I'd like it but it was a bit slow)

Z.O.E.(Zone of the Enders) Idolo

Those are the mech series I've seen or own. I have majority of them but Patlabor. If anyone can recommend something new that would be great.

Patlabor TV series is a completely different animal than the movies, so if you were turned off by the first Patlabor movie, don't let it discourage you from checking out the TV series and the "new OVA" that picks up where the TV series left off. It's more goofy / light-hearted than the movies but always have great stories and characters.

I found the 1st movie very slow too but Patlabor 2 was my favorite anime film. You should definitely give it a try. If you liked the first 2 movies, give the early OVA series a try as well - they are more similar in tone compared to the TV series. Better rent the 3rd movie before you decide if it's worth buying. It has a different director and frankly I don't think it was close to the first two in terms of depth.

You should also check out Aura Battler Dunbine. Animation quality is dated but the story is cooler than most of the current trendy stuff.

Sakura Wars has magic and humor too but the TV series is kind of horrible... too bad game experience/knowledge is required for the 3 OVAs and the movie.

I'd say check out Kenshin Corps (released stateside under the title Geo Armor here is a link http://store.yahoo.com/animenation/11488.html )...takes place in an alternative history during WWII with and alien invasion going on at the same time...it's sort of adventure in the vien of Indiana Jones...Fun little OVA series, part adventure, comedy, mecha war...with a slight "super robot" undertone...one of my personnel faves :D

This sounds a like a good one. I love Indiana Jones.

The Gall Force movies had some neat mecha/space fighter action in it. I would also recommend MADOX-O1. :ph34r:

Why....why won't they do anime based on Front Mission, Gungriffon, or Armored Core?  :(

Madox-01 <- highly recommended!

I agree with you on those 3 games. I would add Metal Gear to be an ANIMATED OVA or movie as well but with a good director and script, and not some Final Fantasy eye candy low rent script movie.

If you want to see some non-episodic shows, I would suggest anything by Shirow. comedy, mech and action in bite size pieces and not in 20, 30 or 40 long episodes.

This sounds a like a good one. I love Indiana Jones.

It's only Indy Jones like in that the heros fight the Nazis...there are no trap filled secret tombs or magical arks and such...Lots of spys, traveling all over the world, cool mecha, cliffhanger sequences, action set pieces and such...sorta like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, meets League of Extrodinary Gentalmen, meets James Bond, meets the Rocketeer, meets Giant Robo.

It's a short OVA series of 12(IIRC) episodes...short but very sweat, lots of fun :D

Voices of a distant star (rent this only a short movie) great movie though

Actually, I was very disappointed with Voices of a Distant Star. Sure, the CGI animation is great, but the cel animation was lacking, iMHO. Also, the story, while showing potential, was wasted in this amateur director's hands. It was wildly dis-jointed and ruined any enjoyment I felt about the aforementioned CGI animation.

Well for a single dude to do it all with his Imac computer, it certainly was a good series IMHO. Sure the animation and stuff was kinda lacking, but hey...its just one man. But despite that, the chronology and concept of the story was good IMHO.

Can't wait for his "delayed tilll kingdom comes" next show, Beyond The Clouds.

Some fantasy comedies you should check out are The Slayers (it's like D&D "light") were Lodoss was serious this is a 180! The other is Sorcerer Stabber Orphen. Also The Sorcerer Hunters is half comedic half serious. Ranma 1/2 is pure comedy (and way better than FLCL INHO) plus we had it liek 15 years earlier to boot! HA HA!

As for mecha MG Giest had some as well as Genocyber. The Guyver is a skinsized mecha suit (but the live action movies are hilarious!), Bubblegum crisis had mecha as well. Forget Giant Robo the animation go for 1967 REAL Giant Robo! I swear Iron Giant is nothing but a huge rip of it!

Battletech the series SUCKED (yes worse than wing but at least I can watch it as opposed to SD gundam!!!!)

Shin Getter Robo the 3 part DVD set was realeased 2 years ago so check it out , it is old skool robot stomping with surround sound and a good mix of 70's cheese with teh hard core storylines also preserved. PLUS it was made by Go nagai (the father of transforming robots)

Go created dozens of robot titles inteh 70's like: Getter Robo, Getter G, mazinger Z (tranzor in US and HEAVILY CENSORED!), Great Mazinger, and recently MAZINKAIZER!!! Just as great as ShinGetter , mazinkaizer picks up teh story that was left off with great mazinger. (anohter MUST SEE), Grendizer, gai King, Danguard Ace.

Brave Raideen

and one of the OLDEST whoopass robots of all time GUNBUSTER!

you kids are so deprived today (though I admit I like a lot of the new stuff) as these classics are often overlooked or not given enough exposure to today's market.

No mecha I can think of but you should check out Star Blazers, captain harlock, and Captain Tylor as these are as good as Nadesico but came out WAY earlier and are a LOT more serious

Oh and I think the Armitage series had some mecha as well as Ghost in the shell..

Did I forget any? (probably)

Thanks for the all the great mecha recommendations everyone. I'll be sure to try and track some of these down.

Sorcerer Stabber Orphen and The Slayers were two shows I was looking at. Are there any other fantasy, adventure, magic based series out there?

Forget Giant Robo the animation go for 1967 REAL Giant Robo! I swear Iron Giant is nothing but a huge rip of it!

the Iron Giant film is basied off a story titled the Iron Man, written by english poet Ted Hughes. It was written for his children after the suicide death of his wife in 1963, and first published in 1968 (a full year before Giant Robo was introduced to the english speaking world in the form of Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot)...

Iron Giant is not a rip-off of Giant Robo, they have completely different stories and completely different characters...and before you insist in useing the term "rip-off" because they share the same "a boy and his robot" theme, you should recall "Danger! Will Robinson!" and realise that Lost in Space (1965) used the story framework as well...in fact the whole "a boy and his robot" theme dates back much further to stories concerning "a boy and his monster" and even "a boy and his pet dog"...Japan never invented in a vaccume thier story concepts involveing robots, and neather did anyone else...History shows these things evolve over time, and even though the writers/creators are half a world away, they can still come up with seemingly simular ideas without haveing plagerized each other.

I think I'm going to be picking up Sorcerer Stabber Orphen and The Slayers over the next few months. Slayers looks like a long series with several movies and OVAs. Orphen's story seems interesting as well.

Now just to decide which mecha I'll pick up.

for a mecha/robot series,

DAI GUARD

Of course, there's always F L C L and Mahoromatic. :D:D:D

---

for an adventure-series, add in El Hazard: The Wanderers. It's a better version of the story than the OVA (1 & 2) and the Alternative World sequel. Plus, you get black-haired Ifurita. :D

Edited by treatment

For mindless violence, almost grateous cheese cake an giant robots check out Mazinkaiser, ShinGetter Robo, Knights of Ramune and Galaxy Girl Fraulein Yuna.

Really good series, then look into Nadesico, Gundam U.C. series, Macross, Magic Knight Rayearth, Sakura Wars, and Dangaioh.