Would you buy HG versions of DYRL and Macross 7?

Myriad

Would you buy HG versions of DYRL and Macross 7?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy HG versions of DYRL and Macross 7?

• Yes! I would also boast about it
    • No! I own the "alternate" versions
    • Yes! Although, I would never admit it
    • No! They both suck

Ummmm...when did Mac 7 enter into all of this? I know HG's been making "Today SDF Macross, Tomorrow the entire Macross Franchise!" noises again, but I doubt they'd ever get their mitts on Macross 7.

I wouldn't plan on it.I already own 2 "alternate" versions of both shows and a R2 DYRL perfect editon, I managed to snatch off of e-bay for $28.00.I'd only buy it if the HG had alot of extras, and I sure as hell don't mean Macek commentaries/interviews, or Yune art galleries!!! :angry:

Ummmm...when did Mac 7 enter into all of this? I know HG's been making "Today SDF Macross, Tomorrow the entire Macross Franchise!" noises again, but I doubt they'd ever get their mitts on Macross 7.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...pic=8405&st=120

If you go to www.macross7.com, it takes you to the HG shoping page.

If the whole legal mess was resolved, with HG on the up and up about releasing these shows, then sure. They would be giving me something I want, and I like to encourage companies doing that.

I'd especially like to see them do it through AnimEigo like the SDF Macross DVD set. Then we'd be gauranteed excellent video and subtitle quality, and tons of liner notes.

Yes. HG wouldn't be the ones releasing them anyways. It'd probably wind up similar to the Animeigo deal. Which I know, some people still aren't satisfied with. And even if they came with a big HG logo on the back, more Macross here is what we wanted HG to do in the first place. Or at least that was before it became some hip thing to hate HG. There are a lot of worse companies out there.

I only buy original Japanese imports of the official genuine product from which Big West, Studio Nue, and Bandai Visual profit. That is the best way and only good way the original and proper owners of Macross profit. Harmony Gold doesn't own crap. I hope they are brought court on violations of international copyright infringement. If they release anything I highly recommend that people stick with legitimate Japanese products to support Kawamori-san and others so that we can enjoy future Macross projects.

The only HG product I didn't mind buying was the Animeigo SDFM sets, as they do have a legitimate license to the SDFM animation, that much is for sure.

And I generally despise HG for their business practices and ignorance of the fanbase. I really feel that the world would be much better off without HG at all.

And I generally despise HG for their business practices and ignorance of the fanbase. I really feel that the world would be much better off without HG at all.

Indeed.

I sort of feel bad about buying the US Macross DVDs. Sure they had the license, but it hasn't proven to be any indication of improved behavior like I thought it was. If anything, it's been used as justification for WORSE behavior.

I would buy an R1 with good subs and clean video in a heartbeat.

Same principle with End of Eva from Manga. I hate Manga with a passion, but they had what I wanted in that instance.

Doesn't matter to me if it's HG or not, as long as the release is handled properly. That's what matters.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...pic=8405&st=120

If you go to www.macross7.com, it takes you to the HG shoping page.

Creepy. HG digs Basara's song?

Who knew? :p

Oh, and BTW - I would buy HG licensed versions of R1 Macross DYRL and Macross 7.

But there's a few qualifiers that have to be met for me -

1. It's needs to be legally licensed from Big West.

2. It needs to be a good release with excellent video and subs.

Otherwise, if I'm gonna rip off the creators of the show and have crappy video and subs... I might as well watch my bootlegs. :p

Edited by Blaine23

I voted no, but if they offered serious value for DYRL in terms of extras, I'd consider buying it.

As for M7, I suppose if they come out with an R1 subtitled M7 before I get an HK boot, I'd probably buy their version, just as I did with Mospeada.

Well i have the "alternate" DYRL? and fansubs of M7 and illl probably get the "alternate" of that too in the coming months and as i have those and the old Kieski vhs of DYRL? i doubt id get an R1 version as for M7 i probably wouldnt because it would be too expensive. If they came out in R4 id pick them up though, i get all my anime dvds from there these days cause theyre cheaper than R1 imports and half the price of getting them in Ireland

Hybridchild

How exactly would Harmony Gold pay for the music rights for Macross 7? Or are they just going to steal that, too?

I think they will try to steal everything they can.

I say we promote legal action against Harmony Gold. Show our support.

I believe that Big West, Studio Nue, Artland, Bandai Visual/Emotion and Shogakukan etc. should all bring Harmony Gold to court for international copyright infringement.

DYRL is more beautiful than sunsets and childbirth... M7 boils the bile in my stomach and makes me want to urinate on the elderly while wildly shooting automatic weapons in the sky. So this thread leaves me kinda limp. What are we talking about?

Okay, I guess I must've missed something here...

... since when did Harmony Gold own the rights to DYRL? :blink:

And to stay on topic, yeah.. I'd buy HG's DYRL. IF (and this is a huge if) it was significantly better than either the R2 Perfect Edition, or even FX's Perfect Edition for that matter.

Edited by Drad

DYRL is more beautiful than sunsets and childbirth... M7 boils the bile in my stomach and makes me want to urinate on the elderly while wildly shooting automatic weapons in the sky. So this thread leaves me kinda limp. What are we talking about?

How much we hate HG, even if they suddenly turned good, made a mutually beneficial deal with Big West, brought us high quality products at low cost, and gave us each a kitten.

Okay, I guess I must've missed something here...

... since when did Harmony Gold own the rights to DYRL? :blink:

Recently they announced they had acquired the rights to DYRL? and have been mostl quiet about it aside from the announcement of DYRL? based superposable toys, and now this HG run DYRL? website they have. Apparently all will be revealed at AnimeExpo or something.

Right now no one knows if HG did this in a legit fashion, or if they're claiming to own more than they really do.

What did Kawamori (and Bandai Visual) say when they were at Anime Expo when they were here?

Shoji Kawamori personally asked us to buy Macross Zero. He was asking us to support them.

Who should we support? The people who made Macross or those who take it, screw it up and then call it their own?

I say we boycott Harmony Gold and buy Big West's official products.

If anyone needs some help aquiring official Macross items-just ask. I will help.

i'm going with no, even though i haven't picked up an "alternate" subbed SYRL yet. i would like to own a legit professionally subbed DYRL, but not one without large Big West logos and credit where credit is due, neither of which are likely on a HG copy. when HG starts toeing the accountability line i'll take a look.

OK, I have no love lost for HG but I keep feeling that some people are potentially being somewhat two-faced on this issue. I keep hearing so many becry "no HG! Give your money to the real licensee!" and yet a good number of those same people (myself included) own the bootleg FX Perfect Edition of this movie. How many people actually plunked down the coin for an R2 Japanese only copy of this movie? My guess would be less than 10% of us. I myself want an R1 release of this movie so I can stop patronizing bootleggers. If HG gets the rights through legal means and releases the movie then by all means I will buy their release to replace my bootleg. And if they don't have legal right to release the property I bet nothing will come of it as the courts will step back in and put the kibosh on the whole thing until the two sides can play nice.

As for buying the R2 releases... sure, fine... I don't speak or read Japanese nor do I own an R2 DVD player. I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a DVD player from another region and sit in front of the TV with a fanscript like I have been for years before DVD when all I owned were copy of a copy of a copy VHS tapes of this stuff when there is a good chance someone will bring the movie out as R1 with good subs, clean picture and possibly extras that none of the import or bootleg DVDs have.

Now let's look at the other side of this issue: let's say HG does not have the rights and they go ahead and release a butchered, dubbed, edited, "Robotech" version of the movie... the worst case scenario on all fronts. I bet it still sells like water in the desert no matter how much we moan and bitch and whine about it. If that happens then hey, I still have my bootleg of the original product and I will not feel pressured to buy the R1 because then it will not be the same thing.

But if they do get the rights and release a solid product then I will buy it. Because I dislike bootleggers more than I dislike HG and I am not buying an R2 DVD player and sitting around with a fanscript like I did in College. This is 2004, you'd think these two huge international companies would quit playing like whiny children in the schoolyard and co-operate for a change so they can both make money and all the fans can be happy.

Lets have another poll.

Who here has the original official Japanese DVD releases?

Which ones do you own? List legit products only-no bootlegs.

Not meaning to sound like an ass (again) but that poll you will find will be very, very lopsided. I only know one person who has legit R2 items of Macross... everyone else has bootlegs or the handfull of R1 that has been released.

Lets have another poll.

Who here has the original official Japanese DVD releases?

Which ones do you own? List legit products only-no bootlegs.

Not meaning to sound like an ass (again) but that poll you will find will be very, very lopsided. I only know one person who has legit R2 items of Macross... everyone else has bootlegs or the handfull of R1 that has been released.

Well, lets just see what the people have to say...

*Blinded by the magnificence of the post* :lol:

To quote Darth Vader; "Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has forseen" :D

Sorry Agent one I could not stop myself.

What was this thread about again? Oh yah.

Yes, I would buy DRYL and other Macross products from HG if they were properly licensed from Big West.