Aircraft Thread

Allright I'm trying to figure out all the aircraft that should be listed.

F-1?

F-2 Skyray?

F-3?

F-4 Phantom

F-5 Tiger II/ Freedom Fighter

F-6?

F-7?

F-8 Crusader

F-9 Panther or Different naming convetions?

F-10

F-11

F-12

F-13

F-14 Tomcat

F-15 Eagle

F-16 Falcon

F-17 Cobra

F-18 Hornet

F-19?

F-20 Tigershark

F-21?

F-22 Lightening

F-23 Does it have a name?

A-1 Skyraider

A-2?

A-3 Skysomething?

A-4 Skyhawk

A-5?

A-6 Intruder

A-7 Corsair II

A-8

A-9

A-10 Thunderbolt/ Warthog

A-11

A-12 Avenger

FH1 phantom

F3D skynight

F3/H demon

F6 (earlier named f4d skyray)

F7U cutluss

F10 = F3D skynight

F11 Tiger

F21A Kfir

A3D skywarrior

a8 = av8 (harrier)

a9 (only prototyped A10 won contract)

Edited by unsped

Yup, little more to add than to check the above site for a pretty darn comprehensive list.

Though I did notice it skipped the F-5C Tiger, which is kind of important since that's why the F-5E is the Tiger II.

Also--- B-1A is Excalibur, only the B-1B is the Lancer. And it's called Bone even more often than the A-10 is called Warthog.

Finally-- A-12 (the Mach 3 Lockheed one) is the Cygnus. Or if you want, the Archangel.

Ok, post-finally, the F-22 was originally the Lightning II, then Rapier, and now Raptor.

::edit:: Oh yeah, this always bugs me. It's the F-16 *FIGHTING* Falcon. Not the Falcon. It'd be like saying "A-10 bolt". Don't forget the first half of the name.

Edited by David Hingtgen

HA! At last! Someone else who is picky about the "fighting" part... I cannot stand it when my friends call it a "falcon"... that's as much a nickname as "warthog" is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the F-15 is the "STRIKE" eagle, right???

HA! At last! Someone else who is picky about the "fighting" part... I cannot stand it when my friends call it a "falcon"... that's as much a nickname as "warthog" is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the F-15 is the "STRIKE" eagle, right???

Only the "E" Model

First off, what about the F-117 Stealth Fighter. I can't believe you missed that one. Also, are you only counting fixed wing aircraft? My personal favorite is the AH-1W Cobra used by the Marines. And what about cargo planes like the C130 and the C141?

Edited by Noriko Takaya

*Officially* the F-15E is still simply the Eagle. :) Strike Eagle, Mud Hen, Beagle, and simply "E" are all equally valid and commonly used nick-names, though Strike Eagle is the most famous.

Might as well talk about the F-117 while we're here. Officially Nighthawk, unofficially Cockroach, and possibly Scorpion. BTW "Wobblin' Goblin" was never, ever used by anybody (pilot/crew/worker/designer) to describe it. That was a complete lie by some (NY Times?) reporter to discredit the program that got copied and printed 10,000 times by every other paper and magazine. Nothing like "overpriced military hardware doesn't work" to get some column space. F-117 is said to fly like the F-15, if anything. Quite stable and agile, just lacking raw power.

I thought "wobblin' goblin" was just some dumb stuff made up by a reporter, but I just tried to find the origin of the term and so far, I've mainly seen claims that the term came out of the test program, and/or appeared in Aviation Week, and/or originated in a Tom Clancy novel.

First off, what about the F-117 Stealth Fighter. I can't believe you missed that one. Also, are you only counting fixed wing aircraft? My personal favorite is the AH-1W Cobra used by the Marines. And what about cargo planes like the C130 and the C141?

I was only referring to fixed wing, and if we were to do the onehundred series we would have to start at the original P/F-1. I think the Army and the Navy had a different numbereing scheme prior to the end of WWII. But if you want to I know a few of them.

F2-Buffalo

F4F-Wildcat

F4U-Corsair (Never understood the exact difference in the numbereing with these two)

F6- Hellcat

F9-Panther

then for what I know you skip up to the Army aircraft

P-38- Lightning

P-39- Air Cobra

P-40- Tomahawk

P-47- Thunderbolt

F/P-51- Mustang

F/P-80 Shooting Star

F-86- Sabre

F-100-Super Sabre

F-101- VooDoo

F-102-?

F-103-?

F-104 Starfighter

F-105 Thunderchief

F-106 Delta Dart

F-107?

F-108?

F-109?

F-110?

F-111 Ardvark (Never understood why this had an "F" designation instead of an "A")

F-112?

F-113?

F-114?

F-115?

F-116?

F-117 Nighthawk (Another why an "F" and not an "A")

Edited by Coota0

I think the Army and the Navy had a different numbereing scheme prior to the end of WWII. But if you want to I know a few of them.

Indeed they did - the "P" in "P-38", "P-39", "P-40" etc, stands for "Pursuit" - i.e., Fighter. As far as I can tell, though, the US Navy always used "F".

As far as I can tell from memory, we Brits have never had a unified number-scheme for aircraft, preferring a definite "name" followed by a Mark. No.

To take the example I'm most fond of, a certain elliptical-winged fighter from W.W.II started as the manufacturers number Model 300, somehow escaped being named "Shrew" by its otherwise brilliant designer, had various Marks from I through XIX (and later; these dropped the Roman numerals and were known as 22s, 24s, tec), and became known to history as the Spitfire. [1]

[1] "Just the sort of bloody silly name they would give it." - Reginald J. Mitchell... :lol:

I understood the "P" designation for pursuit vs. the Navy use of "F". What I didn't understand between teh Navy and Army is that an aircraft of about the same period in the Navy is the F4F where but the Army had the P-38 and P-39, big jump in numbers, so I'm assuming the Navy numbered their aircraft independtly of the Army until after WWII.

a little off topic, but is the f-16 an army plane?

From the guy starting Aviation OBC at Ft. Rucker in one month, absolutley not. Under the act that established the Air Force in 1947? The United States Army does not operate Fixed Wing Aircraft. The current exceptions are the C-12 King Air, E-12, C-23 Shirpa, and the C-20 and C-37 "Executive Transport Jets."

We are primarily a Rotary Wing Force currently fielding:

UH-1 Huey (Iroquois)

AH-6/MH-6 Little Bird (Cayuse) (160th SOAR)

AH-64A Apache

AH-64D Apache Longbow

RAH-66 Comanche (Now Defunct)

CH-47D/F/G Chinook

MH-47E/G Chinook (160th SOAR)

OH-58A/C Kiowa

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

UH-60A Blackhawk -My Aircraft in 10 months

UH-60K/L/M Blackhawk

EH-60 Blackhawk (C3 and EW)

HH-60L Blackhawk (Medevac) -Dustoff HOOAH!

MH-60 Blackhawk (160th SOAR)

TH-67 Creek -My aircraft in 1 month

EDIT: I had posted as "from an Army Aviator," when I am not really an aviator until I pin on my wings.

Edited by Vinnie

Wasn't the F-105 or F-106 (can't remember which) also known as the "wild weasel"?

"Wild Weasel" is a term applied to aircraft used in the defence surpression role (i.e. attacking AA sites). These are typically modified examples of existing aircraft. Not sure about the F-106, but the F-105 was used for this role, as was the F-4 Phantom II, and I believe a variant of the F-16 now serves the same purpose. I'm also not sure if its a coincidence or tradition but both the F-105 and F-4 Wild Weasels were "G" models, and were modified for the role.

The current wild weasel is the F-16C Block 50/52, generally called the F-16CJ. Nowadays the term is "SEAD"--Supression of Enemy Air Defenses. And now it's more anti-SAM than anti-AAA.

F-16CG= F-16C Block 40/42, Night Falcon, optimized for precision munitions/strike. Night vision goggles, wide-angle HUD like the F-15E, LANTIRN pods like the F-15E.

F-16CJ= F-16C Block 50/52, SEAD, optimized for SAM-hunting, secondary air-to-air role. HTS (Harm Targeting System) very often equipped.

Most of the Block 30's are with ANG squadrons now, primarily air to air, secondary strike role.

That picture is from our National Guard here in Texas, I would even hazzard a guess that it's from one of the Squadrons at Fort Worth JRB (Used to be Carswell AFB)

What made you think it was an Army bird?

Edited by Coota0

That is from Carswell, but not an ANG squadron. That's the "real" USAF, though a reserve squadron. 301st Fighter Wing, 457th Fighter Squadron. (Anyone with a number that high is in the reserves)

On this pic: http://www.sharpshooter-maj.com/Images/profil03/301fw.jpg you can see "AFRC" just ahead of the h.stab, thus Air Force Reserve Command. Earlier they put "AFRES" there. Also note the very dark nosecone---F-16 nosecone colors vary an incredible amount, this is the darkest I've seen for the non-black ones. (Only EARLY F-16's had true black noses, and they were all changed to grey eventually)

That's a Block 30 BTW, I'd presume Block 30B or 30C, since it looks like a small intake, and the serial is from 1985.

::edit:: I looked it up, and it's a Block 30A. That's kind of unexpected and rare. Those are the only non-AMRAAM capable Block 30's. Though based on the appearance of the #8 weapon station, it may have been retrofitted. Without AMRAAM's, an F-16C has nothing but Sidewinders, as your standard F-16 can't carry Sparrows. I doubt even a reserve plane couldn't carry AMRAAM's nowadays.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Hey David,

Do you know anything about the "Green Mountain Boys"? That is the Vermont Air National Guard squadron that flies over my house everyday....they fly the F-16 and they always go up with drop tanks and full missle compliment....they usually go up in pairs, but I have seen 4-6 regularly. Also, I see F/A -18's and A-10's occasionally. I have even seen a F-15 fly around here occasionally. Can you tell me what block these planes are? I wonder how old they are...Hmmm

Larry

That picture is from our National Guard here in Texas, I would even hazzard a guess that it's from one of the Squadrons at Fort Worth JRB (Used to be Carswell AFB)

What made you think it was an Army bird?

i didn't actually think it was army, i figured it wasn't but wasn't sure.

i'm really much more into navy and marine machinery so i'm not always too keen on what the other branches operate. no biggie thianks for the info

Dave Hintgen

About the new Boeing AL-1A airborne laser was wondering whether the upper deck of the 747-400F is from the classic 747...it seems shorter than a passenger 747.

Any ideas ?

and way of of topic here but are there any kits out there of the 1969 Penguin Submarine with flippers ?

Anyone from the Bay Area going to attend the Airshow at NASA Ames Research Center this weekend?

they've been buzzing my house all saturday. i think they are still practiceing huh? fun stuff, but i can't afford to go right now.

anyone who goes try to take some pics! :)

Hey David,

Do you know anything about the "Green Mountain Boys"? That is the Vermont Air National Guard squadron that flies over my house everyday....they fly the F-16 and they always go up with drop tanks and full missle compliment....they usually go up in pairs, but I have seen 4-6 regularly. Also, I see F/A -18's and A-10's occasionally. I have even seen a F-15 fly around here occasionally. Can you tell me what block these planes are? I wonder how old they are...Hmmm

Larry

Hey Twich,

Where you from? I live down in Windsor, and I'm with the Vermont Army National Guard with 86th Medical Company (AA) right there at the Burlington Airport. I didn't know there were any other MWers in these parts.

And all I gotta say about the Green Mountain Boys is that those F-16s are deafeningly loud, even over by our hangar. They make our Blackhawks sound downright stealthy.

-Vinnie

Let's see:

1. Yes, the AL-1 laser platform, like all 747-400F's, has the original, shorter upper deck. Difference is 23ft, BTW.

2. F-16's are "louder than they should be". Don't know why, F-14D's sound quieter, despite having the same engines. (As in, 2 F-16's taking off sound louder than 1 F-14, despite both of those situations being 2 GE F110 engines at full afterburner) F-14's do have slightly downrated engines for better reliability etc, maybe those last few pounds of thrust are "loud". :)

3. YF-23 #1 is at Edwards AFB, sitting in storage somewhere. YF-23 #2 is at the Western Museum of Flight, in Hawthorne, CA. Which is also Northrop Field, and YF-17 #1 is there too.

Vinnie,

You live in Vermont? Damn....I live in South Burlington....right near the airport and I hear the Green Mountain Boys all the time....I also watch all the helicopters from Camp Johnson taking off and doing maneuvers.....I always wondered why Blackhawks were hovering over residential areas though.....?

David,

Thanks for that info...I didnt know that the Green Mountain Boys were the first to fly CAP over NYC after 9-11. I think that they still fly expecting trouble because as I said before, they are always louded with 2 fuel tanks and a full compliment of missles.

Larry