Wanna learn something...

Do you guys prefer pleated or non-pleated long pants for guy characters?

I'll be doing some male character designs with slacks... Just wanna know what is the more popular preference. The characters are slim and fairly well built but not muscular. Slim mesomorphic bodies.

Please keep opinions strictly to the pleated or non-pleated designs only. Thanks!

B))

Oh yeah, if you can also let me know what sort of cutting/style that are in right or rather, what you prefer right now, that will be the best. Thanks!

I apologise because this topic is quite OT. Please leave it up for some discussion if you can.

Edited by Beware of Blast

Pleated for slacks, but it depends in what position they are in. If they are seated or any time the knees are bent then the pleats can disappear when drawn. IMO. be also aware that slacks hold longer wrinkle lines than jeans and other sturdier material. :)

It depends on the era of the characters, pleats were emphasized in the 80's. But you can never go wrong with flat front.

I personally never wear pleats.

I never buy pleats, unless it happens to be a suit that is just too cool not to get, despite the pleats.

As far as seeing them on character designs, I can't say I've noticed them or the lack of them, unless they were drawn badly.

Speaking as someone who wears almost exclusively dress clothes... even when in the shower... I prefer hard seams on pants. Some pants come with that multi-fold pleating around the beltline that makes you look like you bought pants that are ten sizes too big and you are crunching your pants together.

Also as a fashion rule pleats add weight and height to the wearer. Flat front pants lessen the "length" look of a person's legs as do pants with square lines at the knees like pants with cargo pockets. Also pleated pants tend to only look good when worn with a formal shirt and tie (this is more opinion than fashion rule). The tie adds to the vertical feel of the dress and increases your "tall" look. Being a tall person myself wearing pleats and ties all day adds to my look and people think I am much taller than I actually am.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

As an amateur filmmaker, I can tell you pleated pants instantly denote business. If I wanted to introduce a character in a film with no dialogue, but wanted to immediately sell a visual image of a professional to the audience, I'd go with pleats (assuming I couldn't use jackets, ties, and other paraphernalia). It also works for class distinction and a few other visual cues.

Depending upon what you're trying to promote visually for your particular character, keep that in mind. Hope this helps!

Can't you colonial rebels (sorry, US citizens) learn to speak the Queen's English after all this time? :p

It's 'Trousers', not 'Pants'.

Pants in British English means mens underwear! B))

And to stay on topic, I say no pleats, but then I wear jeans most of the time and I'm allergic to ironing anyway.

Graham

Depends on the character..what are thier dreams, hopes, ideas...what is thier personnality, thier ambitions or lack there of...

as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words"...let who the charactes are dictate thier dressing prefrences...are the characters complicated, conflicted, crass, annoying, happy, stressing out, stress free, bored, introspective, mysterious, respectfull, extroverted? ... reflect this in thier manner, style and the way they dress and how they "model" thier clothing ("body language" is important too) as this can communicate far more then dozens of pages of scripted dialog.

It's not what we would prefer to see the characters dress in, it's what the charactors would prefer to be seen in ;)

Edited by MSW

Ah, thanks for all the feedback fellas! B))

So I see non-pleateds are more popular here. I needed your opinions because my colleagues are having a hard time making decision on such a small detail. We're all not experienced with menswear. I'll be the worst person to ask because I'm not good with mens' fashion. That's why I ask for general popular opinions to speed up their work...

The idea is to create a male character for a commercial campaign that regular guys can relate to and hopefully will not ridicule. ::cough Adam King cough:: No we are not doing a Guinness commercial. It's not a commercial for fashionable menswear either, otherwise my work will be easier. If non-pleats are chosen, the character will be wearing trousers of that design throughout.

Anymore feedback will be greatly appreciated, I'll make sure they read them all.

Can't you colonial rebels (sorry, US citizens) learn to speak the Queen's English after all this time? :p

It's 'Trousers', not 'Pants'.

Pants in British English means mens underwear! B))

And to stay on topic, I say no pleats, but then I wear jeans most of the time and I'm allergic to ironing anyway.

Graham

You Dirty Redcoat... :angry:

:p

Depends on the occassion. When I go to more formal events I always wear pleats and creases. If it seems more casual, no pleats. This applies to both my dress pants and tuxedos. It's kind of a scale of formality thing...

vinnie