Wake of Death (2004)

That has academy awards smeared all over it. :p

Seriously, though, I refuse to put any money in the pockets of any studio that would hire Jean Claude "Be Damned" to star in any movie...period.puke.thumb.gif

And lookie here, a three worded title...Wave of Death = Straight to Video...or DVD. :)

That has academy awards smeared all over it. :p

Seriously, though, I refuse to put any money in the pockets of any studio that would hire Jean Claude "Be Damned" to star in any movie...period.puke.thumb.gif

And lookie here, a three worded title...Wave of Death = Straight to Video...or DVD. :)

Whats your issue with the man? He is a great action actor... I mean he isn't going to replace Patrick Stewart or anything, but for violence based movies (my favorites) he rocks.

He was kinda a has been for a while, but I hope this movie represents his comeback.

It's a tough time for "action heroes" especially muscle bound ones. Right now there's a calling for those slightly buffed up GQ actors such as Brad Pitt, Hugh Jackman and Colin Farrel. In some weird way they're conceived as the every man type that represent regular Joe's in the movies. :rolleyes: It'll take the magnitude of something like King Conan to bring back the steroidan heroes from back in the days...

EDIT: tpye-:wacko:

Edited by >EXO<

No Schwarzenegger = not a good movie. :D

How ironic that a real-life wife-beater plays someone out to avenge his wife's death.

I think thats a rumor man... I can't find a thing on him beating his wife. I mean I wouldn't consider him a great family man, as I think he is on his 3rd wife, but I don't think he beat any of them.

That has academy awards smeared all over it.  :p

Whats your issue with the man? He is a great action actor... I mean he isn't going to replace Patrick Stewart or anything, but for violence based movies (my favorites) he rocks.

He was kinda a has been for a while, but I hope this movie represents his comeback.

I want to fight.... in da kumintang......

No actor can do the splits like me. All I have to do is stick my foot up in the air like I do in every goddamn picture I take and you can see why I am the best action star in de world.

You guys are cruel... Bad acting is because of bad directing. Van Damme dose what he is told, just like all other actors.

Look at the Van Damme movies that were well directed, Time Cop, Universal Soldier, Hard Target (a John Woo film).. Those were great. They made a ton of money also.

I wondered were Jean Claude went off to. I figured that being Rodman's co-star killed his career.

A1, you are right, his mullet in Time Cop made it an instant classic (easily the finest movie mullet of the 90's), but the absolute star of Universal Soldier was Dolph Lungren, collecting ears in a supermarket=unintentional comedy.

My main problem with Van Damm is that he has the emotional range of a plank of wood. Every movie he's in, he sounds like a robot. Granted, in Universal Solider that wasn't a bad thing considering the overacting mess that Dolph Lungren was and what Van Damm's charactor was, but all of his movies are like that.

He was great in Sudden Death, but I think that's only because I am a sucker for Die Hard clones.

I think the good directors knew how to hide his shortcomings and highlight what he does well. Bad acting is bad acting, just a matter of how much the director chooses to show to the audience.

Whats your issue with the man?

I have nothing against the man, I even agree with the majority of his views; but as an actor...the plank of wood comment pretty much says it all.

As far as action heroes go, Van Damme is rather mediocre. To me he is just the European version of Steven Segal (the king of "straight to video" flicks), not quite as bad, but not that much better either.

Edited by mechaninac

Van Damme ees back, baybee!

I think thats a rumor man... I can't find a thing on him beating his wife. 

5 minutes of Googling turned up this

- On July 10, 2000, Van Damme was sentenced to a 90 day anti-drunk-driving class, $1,2000 fine, 3 yrs. probation and a 90 day revocation of his license after pleading no contest in Beverly Hills for a September 23, 1999 DUI arrest. 

- On November 10, 1997 Van Damme's wife, LaPier, filed papers against him for spousal abuse and cocaine addiction. Van Damme had started divorce proceedings in June.

- December 1996, enters substance abuse clinic in Southern California.Checks out after a week.

and this:

Gladys Portugues (bodybuilder; married in 1986; divorced; remarried in June 1999)

Darcy La Pier (model; married on February 3, 1994; filed divorce in November 1997)

Cynthia Derdian (married for one year in 1985)

Maria Rodriguez (first wife; Venezuelan; separated in 1981)

Van Damme ees back, baybee!
I think thats a rumor man... I can't find a thing on him beating his wife. 

5 minutes of Googling turned up this

- On July 10, 2000, Van Damme was sentenced to a 90 day anti-drunk-driving class, $1,2000 fine, 3 yrs. probation and a 90 day revocation of his license after pleading no contest in Beverly Hills for a September 23, 1999 DUI arrest. 

- On November 10, 1997 Van Damme's wife, LaPier, filed papers against him for spousal abuse and cocaine addiction. Van Damme had started divorce proceedings in June.

- December 1996, enters substance abuse clinic in Southern California.Checks out after a week.

and this:

Gladys Portugues (bodybuilder; married in 1986; divorced; remarried in June 1999)

Darcy La Pier (model; married on February 3, 1994; filed divorce in November 1997)

Cynthia Derdian (married for one year in 1985)

Maria Rodriguez (first wife; Venezuelan; separated in 1981)

Hmmm, maybe my problem is I was looking on fan sites.

I can't speak for what they have on the fan sites (should I really be surprised that such things exist?), his love for....er, nose-candy wasn't exactly a secret. I haven't really heard anything about him in a few years though. He pretty much dropped off the radar when he started cranking out the direct-to-video movies.

I can't speak for what they have on the fan sites (should I really be surprised that such things exist?), his love for....er, nose-candy wasn't exactly a secret. I haven't really heard anything about him in a few years though. He pretty much dropped off the radar when he started cranking out the direct-to-video movies.

Yeah well, I'll still make excuses for him.. I mean what superstar didn't mess with coke in the 80?

My main problem with Van Damm is that he has the emotional range of a plank of wood. Every movie he's in, he sounds like a robot. Granted, in Universal Solider that wasn't a bad thing considering the overacting mess that Dolph Lungren was and what Van Damm's charactor was, but all of his movies are like that.

"I know Kung-fu" ... ;)

My main problem with Van Damm is that he has the emotional range of a plank of wood.  Every movie he's in, he sounds like a robot.  Granted, in Universal Solider that wasn't a bad thing considering the overacting mess that Dolph Lungren was and what Van Damm's charactor was, but all of his movies are like that.

"I know Kung-fu" ... ;)

LOL, goog point..

Keanu is way worse an actor than Van Damme and look at the decent roles he gets.

Van Damme blows bigtime. His intergalactic size ego is why so many people can't stand his lame Arse. Its a requirement that all his films pander to his overinflated sense of his self worth. John Woo and Tsui Hark both vowed to never work with him again. He had alot going for him, but he failed to capitalize on the numerous opportunities that were thrown his way b/c of who he was ( Relatively Attractive Caucasian Musclebound Westerner who looked like he knew martial arts). May Wake of Death be the Death of his movie career. There are much more deserving actors out there who should be given some of the chances that are repeatedly wasted on him.

Much like Steven Seagal.......I'll always have HIS movie from the late 80's, I'm perfectly fine with classic BLOODSPORT and KICKBOXER. Personally, those were the best of the best.

This is for Agent One. Patrick Stewart is DA MAN!

post-26-1085202087.jpg

You guys are cruel... Bad acting is because of bad directing. Van Damme dose what he is told, just like all other actors.

Look at the Van Damme movies that were well directed, Time Cop, Universal Soldier, Hard Target (a John Woo film).. Those were great. They made a ton of money also.

Except that Time Cop and Universal Soldier sucked. Come to think of it, Van Damme in general just sucks. A1, I expected better from an Arnold Fan...

• 10 months later...
Chuck Zito kicked Van Damme's ass. 'Nuff said.

No he didn't. He punched VD when he was sitting down and Chuck was standing over him. Even Bruce Lee or Mike Tyson can get blind sided.

I am ready for a new butt kicker flick, I'd go see it.

Speaking of "Everyman" action flicks, I saw an episode of the Sunday Morning shoot out on AMC and Brude Willis said that they are prepping to do another Die Hard movie, and he swore that it had a solid script and read as well or better than Die Hard with a Vengeance. I liked those movies :) I hope this one is as good.

• 6 months later...

SpikeTV is showing this movie right now. No wonder this went straight to video. Wake of Death reeks of pretty bad acting, not to mention that Van Damme's acting skills have gotten flatter than ever.

And it looks like this movie was doomed to begin with. From IMDb:

- Ringo Lam was the original director but he left the project after a few weeks of filming in Canada.

- After Ringo Lam left the project, a new director named Cess Silvera was hired but fired after two weeks of filming in Cape Town, South Africa.

- Artisan were originally going to distribute the movie until Philippe Martinez showed them the restaurant scene and Artisan accused Martinez of making an artistic film and backed out of the film taking 30% of the 20 million us dollar budget with them.

Oh yeah, not to mention that NO SCHWARZENEGGER = NOT A GOOD MOVIE.