Macross Cannons

The_Major

Rapid fire? lol

We are talking about charging super dimesion energy cannons here.... ^^;;

I was thinking something like those old formations armies during the colonial era used with several rows of riflemen. One row fires, then the next fires while the first one reloads. With the Macross Cannon, have one fire then recharge, fire the second one while the first recharges, etc. Then by the time the fourth one fires the first is full charged and fires again.

Well....safe to say that the Macross Cannon's can execute a space fold. Given their mass...couldnt they also generate a barrier of some type?

As for Palladium....par for the course. I like KS (he's a nice guy....got to meet him and Maryann back at DragonCon in '01) but the Robotech and Macross II RPGs are riddled with goofs......every one based on the animes (as opposed to sourcebooks based on new material). Underestimating the sizes of the ships is notable. However, to be fair, only SDF Macross had scads of information that gave such things as dimensions. Misidentifying armament levels was another problem area that Palladium had when making the games.

::shrugs::

There are now dedicated sites that have the information we need such as that provided by Nanashi.

• 2 years later...

wow. those are some pleasant names.

the macross cannon always was the main reason I liked the MacII

Those aren't canon names, I used them for an RPG I ran for a short time; and most of the stats are guess information based on trying to measure and determine distances from other ships in the show.

Those aren't canon names, I used them for an RPG I ran for a short time; and most of the stats are guess information based on trying to measure and determine distances from other ships in the show.

I was under the impression that the Marduk war took place in 2080 and lasted months rather than years...

More speculation on your part or is it from specific reference material?

I was under the impression that the Marduk war took place in 2080 and lasted months rather than years...

More speculation on your part or is it from specific reference material?

Actually I haven't updated those dates in about six years, I just recently got the DVD version of the movie, and need to fix that, since it says 80 years after the last war, I need to adjust it to about 2090 or 2091, although the way I was running it in my campaign other Marduk forces faced outlying colonies.

I like MII but one of the biggest flaws is fleet size in the show, there should be tons of Terran built vessels eighty years after the last war, but there only seems to be about five or six capitol ships and maybe a couple dozen smaller vessels.

There are a number of arguements regarding why there aren't that many seen. The biggest would be that most of the human ships are out commanding fleets that are exploring and possibly colonizing the galaxy. Another reason could be that the UN Spacy command got complacent with a bunch of commandeered, and renovated Zentraedi ships in orbit.

Lastly, and this is probably the most relevant: the producers of Macross II felt that the more Zentraedi ships there were, the closer to the other Macross projects Macross II would appear to be. Let's face it, without those hordes of Zentraedi ships - and the lookalikes in the Mardook fleet, the show would really only be Macross in name...

Lastly, and this is probably the most relevant: the producers of Macross II felt that the more Zentraedi ships there were, the closer to the other Macross projects Macross II would appear to be. Let's face it, without those hordes of Zentraedi ships - and the lookalikes in the Mardook fleet, the show would really only be Macross in name...

Kinda like Macross Plus?

Here is a pic based on perspective, and the fact that those are Nupetiets....

I used vanishing points to determine the size of the parts.

The pic is 10 pixels per meter, and includes the SDF-1 for scale.

This makes the Macross cannons roughly 5400 meters in length, while in Ship Mode.

(The image shows 5360)

post-1691-1158701371_thumb.jpg

Storm Attacker, or whatever they call it, for these ships would take me a bit longer to make an image for.

I used the raw image of the Nupetiets, rather than the UN Spacy refits, but the size should be roughly the same.

Note that the thinner front bow seems to be removed from the Nupetiets in the "arms" in all the source images available.

Edited by daeudi

Macross 7 anyone? :p

That argument is a bit weak bud, considering everything SK did after DYRL had little resemblance to the original series.

Which makes sense, since as technology evolves so do vehicle designs. To quote Bones,"Those damn engineers love to change things!"

IMO they used too much Zentreadi equipment, considering the length of time between major conflicts described in the story in Mac II.

Here is a pic based on perspective, and the fact that those are Nupetiets....

I used vanishing points to determine the size of the parts.

The pic is 10 pixels per meter, and includes the SDF-1 for scale.

This makes the Macross cannons roughly 5400 meters in length, while in Ship Mode.

(The image shows 5360)

post-1691-1158701371_thumb.jpg

Storm Attacker, or whatever they call it, for these ships would take me a bit longer to make an image for.

I used the raw image of the Nupetiets, rather than the UN Spacy refits, but the size should be roughly the same.

Note that the thinner front bow seems to be removed from the Nupetiets in the "arms" in all the source images available.

That looks more accurate than anything else I've seen. Particularly the RPG books... :rolleyes:

That looks more accurate than anything else I've seen. Particularly the RPG books... :rolleyes:

Thanks... it was just a quick little kit bash using images from Merzo.

If I had spent more than 10 minutes, I could have been a lot closer.

Personally, I think there ought to be an international treaty requiring all mecha designers to do a 3 view, as well as perspective drawing. :p

I personally hate thhe 'Macross Cannon' ships. yes, they would do a crap load of damage. but it seems like a massive waste of resources.

HOWEVER.... considering how much the scale is, including things like the ConnTower/Head....

A ratio of around 5:1....

Could the 'Macross Cannon' ships be built on a very similiar design to the SDF-1, but in Macronized scale?

Could they just be Zentran sized SDFs?

I personally hate thhe 'Macross Cannon' ships. yes, they would do a crap load of damage. but it seems like a massive waste of resources.

I disagree. IMO they would have been designed as an alternative to the Grand Canons in that what they'd sacrifice in power would be made up by their mobility. In Mac II they had 6 of them in service and when you consider getting an enemy in a six way crossfire with 4 canon blasts each that's 24 canon blasts ripping through a lot of capital ships.

It also directs enemy fire away from planetary targets and keeps it in space far away from civilian casualties.

HOWEVER.... considering how much the scale is, including things like the ConnTower/Head....

A ratio of around 5:1....

Could the 'Macross Cannon' ships be built on a very similiar design to the SDF-1, but in Macronized scale?

Could they just be Zentran sized SDFs?

I agree that the con tower is very misleading and really should not be so large, but then again, one can't fault it too much if you are a fan of Battle 7's attacker mode.... :rolleyes::wacko:

The Mac II designers went with a hybrid design which I personally don't agree with. It should have been more along the Kazutaka Miyatake's capital ship designs for Macross 7 (NOT the attacker mode Battle 7!!), with cleaner lines. maybe similar to the Metlandi cruisers of DYRL.

If you've seen the designs published in "This is Animation Series: Macross 7 Animation Materials", you'd know what I mean... ;)

In some instances it was truly a shame that his designs for the Macross 5 fleet got so little screen time, Battle 5 was a truly cool looking battle carrier, not to mention several of the Macross 7 support carriers and destroyers

Edited by Zinjo

Based on the "head"/bridge/conning tower I always figured they were roughly SDF-sized rather than using actual Zent cruisers as guns.

It makes sense that humans would meld/emulate the more advanced Zentraedi technology in their future designs...

I figure even if they were a zillion times bigger then the SDF, they would correspondingly have a Con Tower/bridge a zillion times as big even if the crew were still human sized. Mainly because in Storm Attacker mode, you'd look stupid on screen with a pin sized head!

Maybe so, but there was a reason why the SDF 1 transformed.

Subsequent series, Mac II included offered no viable explanation for transformations of capital ships...

Even the "mighty" PD didn't have transforming ships and they converted a whole fleet to ancient PD technology....

But that's my pet peeve and why I don't believe, other than for cinematic value, that the Macross Cannons needed to transform.

Edited by Zinjo

5400m in cruiser mode eh?

That's pretty close to the estimates I made after taking a closer look at the screen captures from Macross II for my website's mecha files about two years ago. I took some captures and crunched some numbers comparing the known features of the Macross Cannon to the Nupetiet Vergnitz, and then backtracking to the other visible ships in the screen captures. I came up with the ship being almost exactly ten times the size that Kevin Siembieda cited in the RPG (488m), setting the size at around 4950m. It looks like he made similar errors with the Gloria and Heracles as well.

As far as the performance of the Macross Cannons, you can calculate just how punishing they were in the early moves of the battle. I'll go back to the DVD and double-check this, but if I remember right, they stated that the Mardook fleet was about 2000 ships, and that the four Macross cannons destroyed 60% of the enemy ships (1200 vessels). One simple division equation later, you've got an average kill ratio of 300 enemy ships brought down by each Macross Cannon per volley.

Edited by Seto Kaiba