Anime Accents

As a Tennessean, I have to say to those dissing the Southern accent - "y'all can come down here and kiss my ass."  Now, I'm gonna grab my shotgun and fire a few rounds in the air, 'cause I'm excited.  Okay, I'm back.

As an anime fan - for the most part, the only "southern accented" voice is overexaggerated Hillbilly speak and yes it is lame.  It's a dumb creative decision that can be squarely blamed on whichever company is putting out the release. 

But I wouldn't go around blaming the South for it.

Rural folk in every state in the union speak poorly, watch Nascar, drink beer on the front porch shirtless, and listen to country music.  I've seen it from New York to California.

So again, "y'all can all kiss my ass"  :p

But this causes me to wonder if Dukes of Hazard has ever been dubbed in Japanese and if the voice actors had rural Japanese accents.

who'da thunk it??? the day an arkansan and tennessean sit on the same porch defendin' our honor against the rest of the world..........

Edited by Skull Leader

Something I'd like to ask:

What recording process, exactly, do you use when English actors go to Hollywood and then get cast in big budget productions? No offence, but whatever it is, it doesn't work properly... :p:p:p

An interesting take on the problem is a recent review I read on Anime Jump, where the reviewer actually preferred a Spanish anime dub track...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Accents are nice. They're unique and it kinda makes us all interesting sometimes. It'll be better still if we don't waste too much time trying to figure out if what you hear is exactly what the other person is saying. :lol:

My bro was in NYC back in '98, he had some trouble too...

Hello, I would like a Hautedog please!

Seywhaa?

A Hautedog.

Aywhaa?

Thankfully another native New Yorker (I think) helped him out... Ah think ey wans a Haaatdaag.

Ouuu, Haaatdaag!

If only we all sound the way we type. :lol:

......Try spending some time outside of the US, and you'll know what I mean when I say Americans have a distinct "accent", whether if you are from NY, south, mid-west, Cali, Texas, etc.  Although, they may all sound different to you now,  after coming back to the US you'll notice the general underlying accent common to all.  It's a throaty "nasal" sound (think of it as a mild version of "Revenge of the Nerds" speak).  Any of you MWers in Europe/Asia/Oz know what I mean?

Yep! Man, if you hear somebody with a Canadian accent, eeek! Some of them speak with some weird intonation, no sentence pause and pronounces some words like a British person would, like for example the word schedule, here they pronounce it as shedule. It's suppose to be pronounced as skedule! Then when you speak like an American, they don't get you and say "Eh?" (it's pronounced "Eyh"). Jeez, can't a "canuck" speak like, let's say somebody from Seattle?

who'da thunk it??? the day an arkansan and tennessean sit on the same porch defendin' our honor against the rest of the world..........

Yep... Y'all all been a-asking fer it. So it's a-gonna have to happen.

C'mon, Skull Leader go grab yer cousins! It's time for the South to rise again! Woo-hoo!

We're heading out of the Wal-marts looking for battle and you know we're armed!

Or... we could just kick back where we're at and enjoy the fact that we've easily got the nicest neighbors, the best tasting food, and the most beautiful women in the U.S. I'll continue to let them think we're the ignorant ones. :p

C'mon, Skull Leader go grab yer cousins! It's time for the South to rise again! Woo-hoo!

Or... we could just kick back where we're at and enjoy the fact that we've easily got the nicest neighbors, the best tasting food, and the most beautiful women in the U.S. I'll continue to let them think we're the ignorant ones. :p

Ignorant? Who says you guys are ignorant?

Funny, I like the cunnuck accent. I actually like it. But then again I grew up not to far south from Thunderbay and most of my college buddies were canadian hockey players. Nothing like hearing Eh and aboat all the time...always good for a laugh.

This thread is turning out to be pretty funny.

The worst for me was when I was in Philly for a conference last summer...I'm sitting down to eat with some colleagues and this waiter's thick Philly accent sounds like he's hitting on my friends fiancee and trying to pick a fight with us cause we're not ordering what he suggested. I'm sure it was nothing to him but it really pissed us off. He didn't exactly get a good tip. <_<

Funny, I like the cunnuck accent. I actually like it. But then again I grew up not to far south from Thunderbay and most of my college buddies were canadian hockey players. Nothing like hearing Eh and aboat all the time...always good for a laugh.

This thread is turning out to be pretty funny.

The worst for me was when I was in Philly for a conference last summer...I'm sitting down to eat with some colleagues and this waiter's thick Philly accent sounds like he's hitting on my friends fiancee and trying to pick a fight with us cause we're not ordering what he suggested. I'm sure it was nothing to him but it really pissed us off. He didn't exactly get a good tip. <_<

People like that shouldn't deserve a good tip! :lol:

For you Americans: Try spending some time outside of the US, and you'll know what I mean when I say Americans have a distinct "accent", whether if you are from NY, south, mid-west, Cali, Texas, etc. Although, they may all sound different to you now, after coming back to the US you'll notice the general underlying accent common to all. It's a throaty "nasal" sound (think of it as a mild version of "Revenge of the Nerds" speak). Any of you MWers in Europe/Asia/Oz know what I mean? I spent 5 months studying in Germany. Never met another American for the entire time, until the very end. I could spot (hear) him from a mile away. It sounded gawd awful to me. Yet, my Spanish gf at the time, loved my voice. Weird. :huh:

BTW, I learned French girls can make ANY language sound attractive, even Deutsch. :rolleyes:;)

Yeah, I hadn't really noticed before, but after spending two years in France I can hear that American accent. It is really nasally. I didn't hear it at first, but slowly I began to notice it. When an American starts speaking French, unless they've managed to learn French well and managed to learn how to pronounce things alright you can hear the American accent, and what can I say? DAMN! It sounds really bad! :(

Those of you who have taken foreign language classes and heard those people that can't pronounce anything worth their life, you should know what I mean... ;)

Heh, my fiançée's got a French accent and she sounds really cool. It's not a really heavy accent either so it doesn't sound exagerated.

lol... I can honestly say that any foreign invading army has more to fear from the civilian populace around here than they do the military... I know people no more than five miles out of town that will shoot at anyone they don't know that appears on their property (two of them have already done jail-time... they don't care) and god forbid they try to come at us from the woods... there are people here who will shoot at anything that moves while hunting! :) lol, and people think you only hear about that sort of activities from gangs out in Cali or something... (in a battle between our rednecks and california's gangs, I'd be hard pressed to say who would win... but the bodycount would be astronomical, that's for certain)

Having said that, neighbors take really good care of one another around here. We watch over each other's houses if someone goes on vacation.

You're right... we definately have some of the best (if not the least healthy) food in the United States. When we have a family get-together NO ONE goes away hungry (in fact, everyone winds up carting off a lot of leftovers!). As far as the women are concerned... sure there are lots of great women around the US, but few of them can accomplish their looks as NATURALLY as ours here in the south can (I have an aunt that lives in San Diego who violently refuses to step out of her house until around an hour in front of the mirror, applying copious amounts of war paint)

*sigh* ahh well... "it takes all kinds..." but if any of "ya'll" wanna come visit, I guarantee you'll go away about 5 pounds heavier with a bigass smile on your face :)

Generally, I agree that it's a bad idea to try to use an extreme regional accented form of English to represent a regional dialect of another language. The accents in English just have too much "baggage" attached resulting an a bizarre effect.

It's not restricted to anime, by the way. Translations of ancient Greek plays often use Southern English, or even Scottish, to represent the "rustic" sound of the Spartans' Doric dialect vis a vis the urbane Athenians' Attic. The effect is pretty ridiculous.

Then again, getting back to anime, I rarely like dubs. Lesseee, FLCL, Lupin III, Reign...and that's about it.

Subs only! Dubed anime should be wiped from the face of the earth! :p

Damned straigt! I second that! :lol:

Just want to be more specific about the dubs I've liked--the Lupin III I'm referring to is the TV series episodes shown on Adult Swim. The dubbing is done really well; I also assume there are some loose translations in many of the jokes, but those are also well done. Speaking of accents, I just remembered that they give Zenigata a vaguely countrified accent; I don't recall if it bothered me at first, but it doesn't now.

However, I always watch Castle of Cagliostro in sub.

Subs only! Dubed anime should be wiped from the face of the earth!  :p

Damned straigt! I second that! :lol:

Why does this remind me of every Engrish HK DVD sub set I own? :lol:

You'd think after reading all those subtitles, proper spelling might have been achieved by osmosis or something. :p

Edited by Blaine23

(in a battle between our rednecks  and california's gangs, I'd be hard pressed to say who would win... but the bodycount would be astronomical, that's for certain)

Iirc rednecks actually can grasp the concept of aiming.

Texas never seems to get ribbed about it) is an ignorant-backwater-rednecked-white trash-hick-republican. That is all we are ever portrayed as.
At least you aren't given the "Only Steers and ****** lived in Texas" greeting when introducing yourself in another state. <_< Edited by Mislovrit

(in a battle between our rednecks  and california's gangs, I'd be hard pressed to say who would win... but the bodycount would be astronomical, that's for certain)

Iirc rednecks actually can grasp the concept of aiming.

Texas never seems to get ribbed about it) is an ignorant-backwater-rednecked-white trash-hick-republican. That is all we are ever portrayed as.
At least you aren't given the "Only Steers and ****** lived in Texas" greeting when introducing yourself in another state. <_<

This is true... I know some people that are such damn good shots that they could (metaphorically) nail a rat in the eye (you pick the eye) at 200 yards... it's scary what they can do. <_<:blink:

lol, I'm sure Stanley Kubrick has a monument in texas somewhere praising him for making that statement famous in "Full Metal Jacket", and I must confess, I've been guilty of ribbing the two texans I know with that line every once in a great while (usually somewhere near my "down with the longhorns" rib too ;) )

Edited by Skull Leader

lol, I'm sure Stanley Kubrick has a monument in texas somewhere praising him for making that statement famous in "Full Metal Jacket", and I must confess, I've been guilty of ribbing the two texans I know with that line every once in a great while (usually somewhere near my "down with the longhorns" rib too ;) )

I hate to piss in your cheerios but Lou Gossett used that phrase as a USMC drill instuctor in "An Officer and a Gentleman" a full five years before FMJ. ;)

I hate to piss in your cheerios but Lou Gossett used that phrase as a USMC drill instuctor in "An Officer and a Gentleman" a full five years before FMJ. ;)

I know, but be that as it may, ask around and most people who have heard it 9/10 times probably heard it from FMJ... ;)

lol, I suppose it's a good thing I don't eat cheerios, huh? :D

Just want to be more specific about the dubs I've liked--the Lupin III I'm referring to is the TV series episodes shown on Adult Swim. The dubbing is done really well; I also assume there are some loose translations in many of the jokes, but those are also well done. Speaking of accents, I just remembered that they give Zenigata a vaguely countrified accent; I don't recall if it bothered me at first, but it doesn't now.

Heathen! Only the late Yamada Yasua can ever play Lupin and you should be shot for your sacrelige.

Heathen! Only the late Yamada Yasua can ever play Lupin and you should be shot for your sacrelige.

If you listen to english dubs and like it, you are no true anime fan :p:lol::rolleyes: J/k

Personally, my favorite is when anime comes both dubbed and subbed.

I love subs for their (potential) accuracy. But one thing I hate about them is that it keeps my eye from enjoying the animation itself. If I have dubbed/subbed anime, I can watch it both ways. Once I know the storyline, I can watch it dubbed and just concentrate on the great animation, and vice-versa.

What about your stereotypical Boston, or New Yawk accents? They both make my ears bleed. Can we do something about this soon? And while we're at it, what about those North Dakotan accents, what with their "Okey-dokey" and their "Dontcha know?"

Hey, I'm from Boston and while I don't have a Boston accent, I have to say it is far more tolerable than the deep Southern accents. It hurts me ears listening to some of the people taling here in Georgia. Anyways, thank goodness for the advent of DVDs so I don't have to listen to awful dubbs anymore.