Who Draws a Better Superman?

Who Draws a Better Superman?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who Draws a Better Superman?

• Jim Lee
    • Michael Turner
    • I don't like either

Alex Ross must win, because he's the only person who does comics who has figured out what cloth looks like!!! It's sucha huge sticking point for me. That's not what spandex looks like!

Err, thought spandex was worn in films to simulate the look of the body hugging unnamed material in the comics, not the other way around, with the pages portraying spandex. But Alex Ross does pwn.

-Al

I don't follow comic books much, but I do check out the artwork alot and I definately think Alex Ross is just plain awesome. I'm not into the body-builder Superman look, I just don't think it fits the character right.

On a side note, I have no problem with Kyle Raynor, but he's just no Hal Jordan.

I love Turner's work in Fathom. But I'm not feeling his WW. It doesn't say "Wonder Woman!" to me like the artists rendition of her in the past.

That's because all of his women pretty much look the same. All of them look like Witchblade. Tomb Raider, Fathom, Wonder Woman... it's all interchangeable.

Just my opinion.

I prefer Lee's to Turner, but Turners rendition isn't bad. Lee is still the man. I don't see how some think that Lee's artwork has slipped. I looks the same if not better than some of his older material. Lee is still working with Scott Williams, They both worked on Superman #204. Lee's suprman man isn't too bulky. Check out Superman #204. As a genral rule Superhero's physiques are bulked up on purpose. These are comics, the Hero's aren't supposed to look like everday Joe Blo. Hence the reason why their called superhero's. It works for the medium. If they did look like everyone else, people would complain about why that skinny/fat/ unproportioned slob is running around in a tight fitting costume.

That's because all of his women pretty much look the same. All of them look like Witchblade. Tomb Raider, Fathom, Wonder Woman... it's all interchangeable.

Just my opinion.

That's what I figured. An artist goes with a face he really digs and slaps it on everyone, even those characters it really doesn't fit. Bugs me especially if it ain't my kinda face... strong jawline and classical features. Mmm. That's a "Woman".

I think the issue that some folks have with Superman here isn't that he's too big or too bulky. It's that he's too cut. That super-toned look just makes him look too poserish-- Come on, he's Superman. He's an alien. He's been around since the 50's. He's naturally super-strong from the rays of our yellow sun. He's the conservative granddaddy of all super heroes. What does he care about sinewy tone and winning body building contests? Superheroes bent on fighting injustice are usually a little too occupied to be spending vast hours in front of gym mirrors sculpting little muscles that don't do much but look good. I guess I've just been too influenced by Alex Ross, John Byrne and older Superman books.

Now batman, I guess I could see doing that. Sort of. Bruce Wayne was always a little foofy.

-Al

I am a artist I think I am better then these guys any day :p actually i have not drawn Superman in a while, so I am probally rusty.

Alex Ross must win, because he's the only person who does comics who has figured out what cloth looks like!!! It's sucha huge sticking point for me. That's not what spandex looks like!

Amen Bro!

alex ross IMO cuz he captures that golden age look for this character. A full painted panel to panel art is of course not fair to renowned pencil/inker artists such as Jim Lee and Michael Turner, there both great artist but I guess just capturing a look in the classical sense is what I look for in Supes.

I thought the same thing Sithlord... but then I thought about Alex Ross's pencils and sketches, which alone blows away the competition. But it's still like comparing apples and oranges though. Or an apple tree to an orange...

Awesome pics. I just picked up superman/Batman #9 and I loved the artwork. Why does all of Turner's women prefer to flash their undies ala Britney spears when illustrated in Jeans? I'm not complaining but just curious. ;)

Why does all of Turner's women prefer to flash their undies ala Britney spears when illustrated in Jeans? I'm not complaining but just curious. ;)

It's probably an in thing right now and I very grateful for that. This actually reminds me of the early to mid 90s, where I see a lot of dudes wearing their jeans waaaay low till their underwears show. Ya know da Plummah schtyle? Once in a while you catch one who also likes to be free, if you're unlucky, you can see his crack. ::BARF::

She looks like a Gen 13 character doing wonderwoman cosplay.  Artistic interpretation, I guess.

-Al

Come to think of it, a J. Scott Campbell run on wonder woman would kick ass.

I agree.....he was my favorite IMAGE penciler. I stopped collecting En 13 when he stopped doing the artwork. :blink:

She looks like a Gen 13 character doing wonderwoman cosplay.  Artistic interpretation, I guess.

-Al

Come to think of it, a J. Scott Campbell run on wonder woman would kick ass.

I agree.....he was my favorite IMAGE penciler. I stopped collecting En 13 when he stopped doing the artwork. :blink:

then may i suggest picking up the Danger Girl Trade Paperback. good stuff from J. Scott Campbell....

It's Turner for me :)

Truth be told all these artists are awsome, each in thier own way :D

Ross has that classical retro semi-realistic look down, very eye catching...but it doesn't work for me.

Lee is quite cool...but Turner beats him in edgyness...but then again, I'm not into superheros :p

then may i suggest picking up the Danger Girl Trade Paperback. good stuff from J. Scott Campbell....

I thought Wonder Woman there looked particuarly Danger Girl-ly, too, actually. Duh me, since Campbell's worked on both titles... and guess it's the "in" style being emulated now.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

I thought Wonder Woman there looked particuarly Danger Girl-ly, too, actually. Duh me, since Campbell's worked on both titles... and guess it's the "in" style being emulated now.

-Al

you'd be surprised. it seems DC and Marvel were moving away from the T&A '90s, but Turner is bringing it back. the X-women (If you don't count Emma Frost) have toned down on the boobage. i can only think of two titles being drawn this way, which would be Birds of Prey (which is an awesome book) which is drawn by Ed Benes, a Gen 13 artist back in the day, and Turner's Aspen/ Superman-Batman books. Campbell needs to come back and do more work, though, as i have always been a fan.

Turner's real skill is in drawing dark hair women with smokey eyes - like Witchblade, or any of the other characters he draws to look like Witchblade.

That Flash has to be about the worst I've seen. Why is the Flash almost as muscular as Superman? I wasn't aware that super-speed translated to "'roid physique"... particularly a giant upperbody.

To be honest, these pics look like Rob Liefeld. And that's not a good thing, in my book.

I like Michael Turner, especially inked by the T-Cow guys, but he can get week in spots, namely his anatomy.

Jim Lee rocks; he's the one I pick. I don't know if Supes is "him" though. I hope Lee can come back to X-men for a run like Silvestri did recently. I think it was pretty much law you had to pick up X-men when Lee was doing pencils on Uncanny and the one he launched, back in the glory days of sales 10 years ago.

Alex Ross is great at painting models, but that's what I see when I look at his stuff...painted models. Don't get me wrong, the stuff he puts out is incredible, but I tend to like painter like Glen Fabry or Bill Sienkiwicz, who are more expressionistic.

Jeff Scott Campbell is awesome, I love his Danger Girl stuff, and wish he would have kept doing it, even if it was 6 times a year. I don't know if it is the look for Wonder Woman though. I would rather see him on something lighter.

ADAM HUGHES is da man. His WW covers are so sweet, I'd love to see him do a full WW book or Supes book.

Travis Charest would be awesome on a big title too. His linework was so good even though it took him too long on monthly stuff and moved on. I hope he comes back to work on a special or something with DC or Marvel soon though, I miss his work bigtime.

• 2 weeks later...