1/100 Koenig Monster confirmed (Dengeki Hobby)

Shaggydog

Truthfully, I don't care about the scale issue, or even if its canon.

even if I wasn't a Macross fan, I would buy this toy, for the sheer coolness of it. I mean, its a giant transforming mobile artillery piece! how cool is that!

I am a fan of transforming mecha, and most Gundam models don't do it for me, because of the simplicity of the designs (RX-78? ick) I like a complicated transformation sequence, and although the YF-19 was almost too much, I loved it most.

Truthfully, I don't care about the scale issue, or even if its canon.

even if I wasn't a Macross fan, I would buy this toy, for the sheer coolness of it. I mean, its a giant transforming mobile artillery piece! how cool is that!

I am a fan of transforming mecha, and most Gundam models don't do it for me, because of the simplicity of the designs (RX-78? ick) I like a complicated transformation sequence, and although the YF-19 was almost too much, I loved it most.

Too true, I showed these pics in TFW2005.com's Toy forum and had numerous comments along the lines of "that's awesome, I want that" from people who have never heard of it before now. B))

Thanks for the bigger pics CF-18 :D

Also, a while back in this thread someone asked about the nose cannons and why they aren't visible in these pics.

Is it possible that they are just not present in Shuttle mode and are covered up by one of the bajillion moving pieces?

Fort Max

Also, a while back in this thread someone asked about the nose cannons and why they aren't visible in these pics.

Is it possible that they are just not present in Shuttle mode and are covered up by one of the bajillion moving pieces?

Yes, they are covered. There is a hole below the nose, in Bomber mode they fire from there.

The VB-6 has even a hidden missile launcher in the forearms, I guess to fire missiles without moving the arms in Bomber mode.

In the pinned thread of VB-6's box art someone posted the schermatics of the VB-6.

FV

Well, as far as colors go......here's a copy of what wwwmwww posted in the IHP thread with some colored shots of that kit. I also included an excellent 1/100 comparison pic with other IHP kits to show the sheer size of the VB-6. She definitely IS a MONSTER!!!!

For what it's worth, I like the "olive drab/yellow" scheme.

Although a dark gray as seen in today's C-17s, B-1Bs, B-52s, and the likes....would also be nice.

I love these:

wfw20.jpg

wf03w26.jpg

koening.jpg

Just a few more and we've have a nice example of time stop photography.

Carl

Here is the pic I mentioned before.  I like to call this one "Nice Legs"...

12280041.jpg

Carl

THANKS CARL!!!!!

**EDIT** - couldn't see the comparison pic from the above quote, so I attached below. (sorry if duplicated)

post-4-1082850479_thumb.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Yes, they are covered. There is a hole below the nose, in Bomber mode they fire from there.

The VB-6 has even a hidden missile launcher in the forearms, I guess to fire missiles without moving the arms in Bomber mode.

In the pinned thread of VB-6's box art someone posted the schermatics of the VB-6.

FV

Thanks for that, those pictures etc, were very helpfull. :D

So then it didn't actually have any landing gear in the first place and the sculpt is almost identical to the lineart in terms of details.

Sorry to keep being a pain but does anyone have any pics of the colours it has appeared in?

Thanks

Fort Max

edit, nevermind, Grand Cannon must have read my mind :unsure:

Edited by Fort Max

That thing is freaking huge!!

I hope they package it in a space efficient way!

edited for spelling

Now that you got me all thinking, I wonder how they would package this?

Edited by Angel's Fury

edited for spelling

Bomber mode in a 14" sq box seems most likely. It's the mode least likely to suffer any damage in transit and has the smoothest profile.

Fort Max

edited for spelling

Bomber mode in a 14" sq box seems most likely. It's the mode least likely to suffer any damage in transit and has the smoothest profile.

Fort Max

Right, and in that same flimsy box. I wonder if toy will be heavy?

edited for spelling

Fort Max

I didn't say anything about flimsy boxes :)

If it's heavy (which it more then likely will be), then they'll use thicker cardboard and reinforce it.

They've built this toy for crying out loud, I'm sure a box isn't going to stump them. ;)

Speaking of weight, can we assume here and now that there is almost zero chance of diecast. :p

Fort Max

Speaking of weight, can we assume here and now that there is almost zero chance of diecast. :p

Fort Max

For the better IMHO, I love diecast, but not on insanely complex transforming toys. The only diecast that should be used on toys like this are around frail joint connections and in the screws.

edited for spelling

Fort Max

If it's heavy (which it more then likely will be), then they'll use thicker cardboard and reinforce it.

They've built this toy for crying out loud, I'm sure a box isn't going to stump them. ;)

Fort Max

I know you didn't say anything about flimsy boxes, I did. I hope they DO use thicker cardboard and reinforce it. You're right about this having "no diecast". Probably it'll be in pvc/abs plastic to keep the weight down.

I hope Yamato doesn´t go the ¨resculpte- YF-19-way¨ with the Koenig  <_< , well atleast we´ve got pics already :)  :lol:

They're going to,since it'll be the same sculptor who did this,who'll redo the -19.

edited for spelling

Fort Max

Fort Max

I know you didn't say anything about flimsy boxes, I did. I hope they DO use thicker cardboard and reinforce it. You're right about this having "no diecast". Probably it'll be in pvc/abs plastic to keep the weight down.

I hope Yamato doesn´t go the ¨resculpte- YF-19-way¨ with the Koenig  <_< , well atleast we´ve got pics already :)  :lol:

They're going to,since it'll be the same sculptor who did this,who'll redo the -19.

I meant that I hope for it not to be delayed like the re-sculpted YF-19.

Aghhh.....I want Yamato to make the VF-17 and VA-3 from those pics into toys.

Graham

Ditto

and add to that the VF-5000 , the X-9 and the VF-14 AND the VF-11C full armored variant

With the Koenig in Yamato´s hands we can be almost sure they´ll continue the VF-X2 line and produce other valks.

now they´ve produced two so the rest won´t be that hard. It seems that all this time buying VF-1 repaints was worth it cause at least that allowed Yamato to justify the spending of making newer lesser known valks without having that much of a financial backlash ;)

Aghhh.....I want Yamato to make the VF-17 and VA-3 from those pics into toys.

Graham

Same here. It's about time that someoe made a sleek-lookin VF-17 toy. Hey, that YF-19 don't look half bad don't it, the only thing that's off is the chest.

thanks so much for all the pics and info everyone..

.. this has gotta be one of e more exciting threads that's really stirred my anticipation and curiousity towards this toy!

especially the scale photos.. giving me an indication of what the toy may look like on my desk (eventually i hope).. very nice.

and yes, that's what the thread should be about.. ppl's first feelings on e toy, shared info, photos, details, insights etc...

.. so i gotta say this again.. discussing canon is certainly ok.. but what i think i really got frustrated over was having to read the arguments, the in-depth analysis of each other's comments, the sensitivity and fanciful arguments.. no, nobody is mockin no-one.. some of us can argue really well and that is ur right, but pls spare a thought for the rest of the MWers who have to scroll thru the "well-structured" and "coherent" arguments, decide who wins and applaud before they can read info on the toy..(which was why i clicked on the thread in the first place.)

it is frustrating, and just sours the whole MW experience.. which is about the TOYS..(in this section anyway) and not as much as it is about our personal reputation..or what we perceive others feel or are saying about us.. deal with those things in PMs please.

as such, much thanks to those who posted the pics, the info.. and insights on what the monster could do in battle..etc.. just fuels the imagination about the TOY and makes me look forward to seeing it in more detail.. and perhaps even handling it one day.

Also I was flipping through my recently acquired copy of the Macross VF-X2 Official Visual Guide (thanks Monkey N!) and noticed a picture of Shoji Kawamori standing with a Konig in battroid mode that is almost as tall as he is! (page 83 for those interested). Does anyone know anything about it? Graham? Just wondering what it was made of? (plastic display piece, cardboard mock-up, etc...). I'd be interested to hear where it came from...most likely a mock-up made to promote the game I'd think, but I would like to know for sure.

Could someone scan and post this pic. I don't believe I've seen it before and I'd really like to.

Thanks,

Carl

Pardon my possible ignorance but if the Koenig appearred in VF-X2 and hence Yamato can produce it. Can Yamato then produce any mech appearring in that game. I read long ago that the Macross 7 license was still being held by Bandai but we've already seen a game color VF-19 and now the Koenig Monster. Could this be a loop hole to produce others like the Nightmare or VF-22?

Pardon my possible ignorance but if the Koenig appearred in VF-X2 and hence Yamato can produce it. Can Yamato then produce any mech appearring in that game. I read long ago that the Macross 7 license was still being held by Bandai but we've already seen a game color VF-19 and now the Koenig Monster. Could this be a loop hole to produce others like the Nightmare or VF-22?

Having already two VF-X2 toys made by Yamato is certainly a sign that they´re willing to expand on that license and just skip (for the meantime) M7.

So it´s very possible we´ll see more VF-X2 toys in the next year or 2. Or so I hope :lol:

I´m just praying for a VF-5000 or a FA VF-11

:unsure: Well the VF-22 and the VF-17 where both in VF-X2 so could there be a chance they produce them without interfering into Bandai's license?

Then again I remember that when Yamato released the YF-22 FP the sample sent to Graham had the VF-22 face plate swap option which did not make it to the final production (but you can see where the face plate would have been in the plastic tray). Graham pointed out the possibility of licensing probs with Mac 7 mechs as the reason for it's exclusion if I remember correctly. So was the VF-X2 license a new acquirement for Yamato or maybe they are afriad to cross that bridge? Hmmm... If so then too bad because that would pretty much be Carte-Blanche to make any mech they want.

:unsure:  Well the VF-22 and the VF-17 where both in VF-X2 so could there be a chance they produce them without interfering into Bandai's license?

I´ve thought about this and at the end I really don´t see how Yamato could interfere in Bandai´s M7 license (which I hope is due to expire soon) since VF-X2 and M7 are two totally different licenses.

It´s like the DYRL and SDF Macross liecenses , although they share the same ¨basic¨ designs they have different colour schemes or paint jobs as well as many other tiny details that actually make a difference in this things.

So although the VF-17 , VF-22 and even the VF-500 do appear in M7 that doesn´t mean nothing cause they have different pilot names and things like that that difference them from M7´s valks.

If the fact that a valk appears on both produccions is a barrier or Yamato to make a toy of it then why could they make the VF-11 in the first place ? see ? it also appears in M7 and they had no problems releasing it under the M+ license , why couldn´t they release a VF-5000B or a VF-22 under the VF-X2 license , or even under the M3 license?

Edited by Aegis!

The M7 liscence Bandai holds would block any varients from that series. The VF-11C or D(Jamming Birds) Yamato couldn't do, hence M+'s VF-11B is what was made, and could be again.

As far as anything else, from VFX2 (and M3 I guess), are fair game. Likewise no Diamond Force emblemed VF-17's, and no Max, Millia, and Gamlin VF-22's. A VF-22 with the YF-21's dark blue would be easy, or a grey one like that sctatch build (I would love that so much). So long as the -22 is overhauled greatly over the Yamato's failed YF-21FP. As far as no VF-22 head included with the YF-21FP, it could easily be explained that Yamato had the hopes of making a separate VF-22 eventually. Just like the no swappable VF-1 heads.

There would be no problem doing a new VF-19A, once the damn YF-19 comes out, as well as new toys of the other valks, the VF-4, VF-5000 down to the VA-3 or the VF-14. I expect (and hope) now that since the VF-1 pool is effectively almost dry Yamato might be more tempted to use Mr. former-IHP sculptist effectively. Especially if the VB-6 sells well, which I have no doubt that it will.

As far as VF-1's they could squeeze a CF 1/48 easily and a few more paint schemes (some more LE editions i.e. Angel Birds, etc.) but that's about it. The internal heat shield may not work on a D-model, wether they someday do a redesign may depend on how well the 1/60 versions sold. The retool cost in generating some two-seaters, especially since each of the 3 (D, VE, VT) would require modification and different fast packs, may be better applied to new valk designs, which would garner a lot of attention after the flood of VF-1's. Versatility is the key to survival, and Yamato has to do something more than the VF-1. The VB-6 is a hell of a way to start.

Some more Zentraedi mecha would also be nice. Speaking of which, how did the Q-rau sell number's-wise? Did it fly off the shelves, or just sell respectably well?

Edited by Anubis

I am really very excited by this news and the promise of more, exciting things to come from Yamato!

But, lets keep in mind...this VB-6 Koenig Monster is likely to cost as much as a 1/48 scale VF-1 because of the sheer size and complexity of the design. So, lets go into this knowing this and not start another whole slew of threads bitching about the price....if you want it, you will pay the price. If not, then dont buy it, but dont begrudge those of us who want this thing.

Larry

Edited by twich

As for the limitations of Yamato producing valks that appear both in VF-X2 and M7, it totally depends on the exact verbage of Big West's contracts with both Bandai and Yamato. Since we don't know what that is, we have to assume that Yamato and BW are aware completely of what they can and cannot do. We'll just wait and see what they do and don't release.