Opinion: best starfighter designs ever

X-wing,  Ties (SW)  Hate to say it but these designs are not that great, poor visibily being the primary concern, lets face it in an X-wing you have virtually no forward visibilty and in the TIEs you have only forward visibilty.

Actually, the nose of an X-wing slopes downward, so you have great forward visiblity. The pilot sits high enough that the control panel doesn't really get in the way. As for the TIE fighter, it also has upwards visiblity. But then again, looking straight up doesn't help when there's somebody on your six...

My Fav fighters!

Most of the Freespace designs (can't remember all the names)

X-Wing

B-Wing

Tie Interceptor

Missile Boat

Some Starlancer designs (again, memory flunks on me)

I think that's about it...

Tie Interceptor has no hyperdrive. it's not a star fighter.

X-wing,  Ties (SW)  Hate to say it but these designs are not that great, poor visibily being the primary concern, lets face it in an X-wing you have virtually no forward visibilty and in the TIEs you have only forward visibilty.

Actually, the nose of an X-wing slopes downward, so you have great forward visiblity. The pilot sits high enough that the control panel doesn't really get in the way. As for the TIE fighter, it also has upwards visiblity. But then again, looking straight up doesn't help when there's somebody on your six...

My Fav fighters!

Most of the Freespace designs (can't remember all the names)

X-Wing

B-Wing

Tie Interceptor

Missile Boat

Some Starlancer designs (again, memory flunks on me)

I think that's about it...

actually most ships(especially one man'ed starfighters) don't have rear visiability. if they're lucky, they'll have some sensors to detect the enemy when it has a lock on you. the x-wing is fine, the tie-fighter on the other hand is way fast, but you can't see anything 2 to 4 o'clock nor 8 to 10. it sucks balls to be flying one of these in battle, hence the creation of the tie-interceptor. :D

Notice I said "space only/transatmospheric and of a relativley small size" above also before you go all starwars defitions on me many of the SW novel tech books and guides refer to the TIE as a starfighter.

Time to drop the bomb

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/tiefighter/

even the official site refer to it as a starfighter :p

Notice I said "space only/transatmospheric and of a relativley small size" above also before you go all starwars defitions on me many of the SW novel tech books and guides refer to the TIE as a starfighter.

Time to drop the bomb

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/tiefighter/

then their wrong.

a star fighter is a fighter that travelrs intestelar distances. you cna clal anythign a star fighter but it dosnt; change the basic definiton.

ssame htign with star ship..

star ship is ship thjat can travel to toher stars,. space ship is what we have.

besides star wars is bad example.

lasers, turbo lasers, ligth speed, light sabre. so mmuch bad terminology.

Edited by Ali Sama

then their wrong.

a star fighter is a fighter that travelrs intestelar distances. you cna clal anythign a star fighter but it dosnt; change the basic definiton.

Nope. A hyperdrive does not a Starfighter make. At least, as far as the Star Wars universe is concerned.

well since I started this thread its time I weighed in.

NO GODDAMNED CAP SHIPS!

NO GODDAMNED MACROSS STUFF! (that includes the ghost!)

NO GODDAMNED HOVER VEHICLES!

NO GODDAMNED F-104's!

okay now that thats out of my system :blink:

heres what is good

starfighters-bombers-dropships-gunboats

not good

cap ships-cars-transformers-gobots-freighters-shuttles-pimpmobiles(centuari's)-repulsor craft-hover tanks-and anything else that isn't space only/transatmospheric and of a relativley small size. ;)

EDIT: on futher review I will alow one pimpmobile The homeboys in outer space's Space Hoopty

Oh... Oh... What about the Cylon base. That's cool!

:p

To me, a starfighter is:

1) A small spaceship with a 1-2 man crew

2) Fast

3) Manuverable

4) Varying degrees of firepower (from little, to overkill)

5) May or may not have some sort of sheilds

6) May or may not be quasi-independent (great range)

Tie Fighter is a close range fighter. While an independent unit in terns of the first 4 notes above, it isn't independent, as it requires a base close by.

Besides, the way the Imperials are thinking, is that lots of Tie Fighters make up for their shortcomings

then their wrong.

Nope. A hyperdrive does not a Starfighter make. At least, as far as the Star Wars universe is concerned.

we are judging this based on our rules and our reality. a star fighter is liek a star ship. it travels among the stars. a space fighter like a space ship is for trans atmosphereic flight or local f space flight at best.

look i tup in dictionary.com

To me, a starfighter is:

1) A small STARSHIP with a 1-2 man crew

2) Fast

3) Manuverable

4) Varying degrees of firepower (from little, to overkill)

5) May or may not have some sort of sheilds

star·ship ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stärshp)

n.

A crewed spacecraft designed for interstellar travel

pace·ship or space ship ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spsshp)

n.

See spacecraft.

space·craft ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spskrft)

n. pl. spacecraft

A vehicle intended to be launched into space. Also called spaceship.

Edited by Ali Sama

I thought the point of this thread was to list favorite non Macross space born (aerospace is acceptable) fighter craft, regardless of range capabilities. A small one or two person gunship isn't likely to have interstellar capabilities.

nope. the topic is starfighters. and yues. they do. gusntar has it. 1 viper did. x-wing, a wing, b wing has that capcitu, naboo fighters do, some of th efighter sform wing commander do. etc.

Wow...I thought I was the only one around here who likes the B-Wing.

the b-wing is shiznit! its slow as hell but what it lacks in speed, i makes up in fire power. and i think its one of the most original designs when it comes to starships. :)

nope. the topic is starfighters. and yues. they do. gusntar has it. 1 viper did. x-wing, a wing, b wing has that capcitu, naboo fighters do, some of th efighter sform wing commander do. etc.

Well if you're going to get nitpickety, then I regret to inform you that the Naboo N-1 does NOT have interstellar capability.

However, range was never mentioned in this topic, so why bother arguing about it?

nope. the topic is starfighters. and yues. they do. gusntar has it. 1 viper did. x-wing, a wing, b wing has  that capcitu, naboo fighters do, some of th efighter sform wing commander do. etc.

Well if you're going to get nitpickety, then I regret to inform you that the Naboo N-1 does NOT have interstellar capability.

However, range was never mentioned in this topic, so why bother arguing about it?

you mean this one

Ship Classification: Naboo N-1 Starfighter

Length: 11 meters

Sublight Engines: Modified Nubian 221

Hyperdrive: Nubian Monarc C-4

Crew / Cargo: 1 pilot and 1 astromech droid

Weaponry: Twin laser cannons and proton torpedo launcher (10 torpedoes)

Special Features: Ecologically-sensitive engines

starfighter implys interstellar capabilities. he shouljd have said space and star fighter sor general scifi fighters.

star fighters

the last star fighter

gunstar

star wars

xwing

bwing

jedi fighter

a wing

gunbuster

buster machine 1

buster machine 2

star trek

peregrin

favorite space fighters

buck rogers

main reartht fighter

battles tar galactica

viper

cylon fighter

v

the visitors fighters

mobile suite gundam

zeta gundam

core fighter for gp01

gundam wing

space byeond etc.

hammer head

star wars

tie intercepter

vaders tie

mospeada

legiloss thread combo

Babylon 5

starfury

cowboy bebop

bebop

okay you put the jedi fighter down as a starfighter yet it can't go on interstellar travel on its own power. Neither can the TIE fighter. yet both can go between stars with the aid of an outside force(the jedi's booster and the TIE's star destroyer)

we are judging this based on our rules and our reality. a star fighter is liek a star ship. it travels among the stars. a space fighter like a space ship is for trans atmosphereic flight or local f space flight at best.

look i tup in dictionary.com

well this is my thread my reality you don't like it make your own and quit nitpicking :p:lol:

space or star fighter it all good on this thread.

i've always had a thing for the R-types

also, the taidan fighers from homeworld are cool too. here is a scout or something, the fighters look just like this but with a big "strike" style cannon on the side.

post-26-1082411922.gif

tie bomber isn't a fighter, its a bomber.

Technically, so is the B-wing. Still, both the B-Wing and the TIE Bomber are far more maneuaverable counterparts to the modern day idea of bombers, either could stand in for a dogfighting role.

tie bomber isn't a fighter, its a bomber.

yes it is but it sure does have other weapons than just some bombs...though in the movie, you only see it for a few seconds doing a bombing run trying to find the MF but still.....

and stop with the thats a fighter, that isn't, who friggin cares? none of this crap actually exists so get over it folks. :rolleyes:

if it can fly in space, it qualifies. if it can't go into space, then it doesn't....that should simplify all this BS of what is and is not.

the x-wing is the freshest crap out, hands down. B)) with the b-wing in close 2nd.

after that, i'd say buck rogers ship(don't know what its called) but i always thought it was cool.

Dude, I would be soooo down with the Buck Rodgers fighter if they send it to me along with Col.Deering from the 1st Season! Oh yeah! B))

5 pages and tons of B-wing votes and still no love for the TIE Bomber?! Come on... the star of TIE-tanic has to have some fans!

Ugh, the TIE Bomber? I'm sorry man, but from my experience in X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and X-Wing:Alliance has shown me one thing when flying a TIE Bomber: I am better off surviving trying to fly a Gremlin in space combat! :ph34r:

From Star Wars:

Y-Wing (might be slow with poor visibility, but it's tough as HFIL)

A-Wing (when speed's needed more than a strong hull, and speed needs good visibility)

TIE Defender (If I were an Ace of the Empire, this would be my baby. Four laser cannons, two Ion Cannons, twin launchers for secondaries, hyperdrive, chaff/flare dispenser, optional tractor beam) Keep in mind, that's from my days of playing TIE Fighter.

B-Wing is not for me. Seems slower than the Y-Wing, no astromech for repairs, and the gyro-cockpit seems... expensive to keep in good shape.

This thread looked really cool when I read the first page... now I'm scared of being jacked up in a "geekdown"...

Ignore any you don't consider to be appropriate for this thread, I'm just putting down spaceships I like, you nerdy bastards.

X-Wing

Tie-Interceptor

A-Wing

Space Above and Beyond (whatever the good guys flew)

Buck Rogers' pimp ride (but never, ever that godawful Hawk thing)

Slave 1

Spike's in Cowboy Bebop

And this one isn't in any way space worthy, but since 90% of our discussion involves Lucas' empire -

I lurve the Speederbike. Absolutely the coolest thing in RotJ. Except for that whole "Luke and Dad kill that mean old man" part.

heeheee the neosapien couterpart to that blue fighter looks a heck of a lot like an invid scout.

I've always wondered that as well.

Most likely influenced from it because the Exo-Squad creators were big Robotech fans and wanted to create a Robotech-like series.

I refsue to choose a favorite fighter design that is not a Valkyrie.

VF-1 Valkyrie (Macross) - A mecha and fighter combination design way ahead of it's time. This thing transformed into a sleek and aerodynamic humanoid mecha before anyone else even knew what sleek and aerodynamic was supposed to look like. The FAST Pack equipped Valkyries was also the first time in film (of which I'm aware) that a science fiction spacecraft used thrusters and reverse thrusters to move and reorient itself in space.

X-Wing (Star Wars A New Hope) - Still one of the classic science fiction fighter designs of all time. A truely timeless creation. When it was shown in full CGI glory with the release of the Special Editions, I fell in love all over again.

Starfury and Thunderbolt Starfury (Babylon 5) - Easily one of the most theoretically viable of the science fiction fighter craft to date. Not only was the fighter properly designed to propel itself and manuver in all three dimensions, but it was also one of the few times we saw actual relativistic physics at work in a vacuum. The Starfury didn't continually thrust in space, it often coasted without any thrust, it would fly backwards, it would strafe, and it used counter thrust to change direction. And it looked amazing! :)

Swordfish II (Cowboy Bebop) - A design that put retro back into science fiction spacecraft. Not only was it another move toward the trend oof reverse thrust/proper physics spacecraft, the design turned away from the dull, smooth, areodynamic spaceships that plague so much modern science fiction these days.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Spartanians. Probably one of the most realistic space only figher designs I've seen. The Reich Valkyries from the series are also fairly realistic, but ugly as sin.

Star Wars - B-Wings. I love asymmetrical designs, and this one is just fun. BTW, was the swiveling cockpit just for the toys (like Slave I), or do they actually do that in the movie?