Macross DYRL Super Poseables Set 1 Revised

FYI-

Per Toynami (Summarized):

Macross Super Poseable Action Figures has been cancelled. Please note that the Macross assortment will now consist of the VF-1S Roy Fokker, The VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo, and the VF-1A Maximillian Jiinas. The VF-1A Hayao Kakizaki is now cancelled and will not be shipping with the others.

-Kevin

[Hitchcock] And nahw, Ladiesh ahnd Gentlemen, thish ish the part of the programme where the plot thickensh...[/Hitchcock]

hahaha, now why did they cancel these? Legal problems? Too many complaints? :p:D:lol:

My money is on a lack of interest. As much as they've been discussed around here, I don't think too many people actually planed on buying them.

hahaha, now why did they cancel these? Legal problems? Too many complaints?  :p  :D  :lol:

My money is on a lack of interest. As much as they've been discussed around here, I don't think too many people actually planed on buying them.

That's my initial thought also. They're still going to be called DYRL Superposeables, but I never saw any interest in these really. The pre-orders prolly weren't good at all. I hope this doesn't put a damper on the potential popularity of Yamato Valks.

Once again, Kakizaki gets no love. They would have been the first to relase an actual DYRL Kakizaki as well. Oh well. I have to agree on the lack of interest theory. Maybe they'll see how Set 1 sells, and if it does sell well, Set 2 will come back and be produced.

If they actually released subtitled DYRL, then I'm sure interest would peak more. How much longer until AX?

I agree it was likely due to a lack of interest. It was asking a bit too much to expect consumers to buy yet another iteration of these mediocre toys, particularly the Roy VF-1S which by all accounts would be identical the "Robotech" branded toy.

Mayhap actual Macross fans who know what DYRL is have learned not to buy Toynami's craptastic offerings. ;)

I think its more to due with lack of interest. They are basicly the same as the series 2 poseables with a different color. There really is no point in buying them. Now had they been guardian/gerwalk mode poseables I can see more interest in them. They've flooded their own market very quickly.

I agree it was likely due to a lack of interest. It was asking a bit too much to expect consumers to buy yet another iteration of these mediocre toys, particularly the Roy VF-1S which by all accounts would be identical the "Robotech" branded toy.

The Roy 1S would at least have the Strike Cannon.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else: probably lack of interest. Although, if there's so little interest as to warrant cutting back on the set, then I suspect the only people who are going to be buy these are the obsessive collector types who feel compelled to get every variation of every Macross toy made. I mean, aside from the Strike Cannon, there really is very little to make these designs unique.

Kevin, does this mean the Elint Seeker and Super Ostrich are cancelled?

If there is a lack of interest, here's why:

1) Macross fans want Yamato or Bandai Macross Valkyries, which leads to...

2) There is already an over flow of VF-1 toys on the market.

3) What's the point in Toynami and Harmony Gold doing them unless there's a Region 1 DVD of DYRL to support?

I hope this doesn't put a damper on the potential popularity of Yamato Valks.

why would it? We want quality products, not crappy bootlegs.

I was thinking more about expectations from the production end of things. I know they're popular with consumers, but production on items like these always seems to underestimate demand. Yamato, HG, Toynami aren't the only ones to do this, just recently Wizkids ended up with a major fiasco on their hands with their Heroclix Galactus.

Edited by wrylac

1)  Macross fans want Yamato or Bandai Macross Valkyries, which leads to...

2)  There is already an over flow of VF-1 toys on the market.

3)  What's the point in Toynami and Harmony Gold doing them unless there's a Region 1 DVD of DYRL to support?

According to Toynami, it was a marketing decision. They reassessed the projects and felt that one set of Macross Poseables would suffice as there are more Macross projects on the horizon...

The comment about future Toynami Macross projects will be quite interesting. I'll have to hit up George on this...

Personally, I think there are too late in the game. We have quite a bit of a VF-1 overflow as you mentioned Apollo. Even myself, the excitement of getting another VF-1 in the collection has lost much of its luster...

-K

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

Sounds to me like they are once again late to the party and ripping up their invitation rather than suffer the embarrasment of walking in late with their mom as their date.

No, it's more like they were never invited to the party in the first place, and said "Oh yeah? Just you watch, I'll make my own Macross stuff. And they'll be the best toys ever! Ever!"

According to Toynami, it was a marketing decision. They reassessed the projects and felt that one set of Macross Poseables would suffice as there are more Macross projects on the horizon...

The comment about future Toynami Macross projects will be quite interesting. I'll have to hit up George on this...

Were they even clear that the future Macross products will be from Toynami?

Personally, I think there are too late in the game. We have quite a bit of a VF-1 overflow as you mentioned Apollo. Even myself, the excitement of getting another VF-1 in the collection has lost much of its luster...

-K

According to Bankofkev at his Robotech Panel at that anime con in Boston, there were a number of DYRL product announcements that he announced at the panel which "put smiles on the faces of those who were attending" (I'm paraphrasing).

I surely hope that Toynami doesn't make DYRL versions of its MPC VF-1's, unless Toynami has gone back and redone it's MPC VF-1's from scratch and/or they will be releasing them at a much more competitive price. As you said, Kevin, people like myself have gotten nearly a lifetime's fill of VF-1's over the last three years. A lot of DYRL fans have already put their money down on Yamato and Bandai's Macross VF-1 Valkyries.

Though their MPC VF-1 was the least of the transformable VF-1's released on the market during these last few years (and overpriced for a US toy of its size), here's hoping that their Alpha/Legioss comes out alright. B))

According to Bankofkev at his Robotech Panel at that anime con in Boston, there were a number of DYRL product announcements that he announced at the panel which "put smiles on the faces of those who were attending" (I'm paraphrasing).

Care to share any of BoK's fantasies with the rest of the class? :p And they actually called him the "Robotech Panel?"

1)  Macross fans want Yamato or Bandai Macross Valkyries, which leads to...

2)  There is already an over flow of VF-1 toys on the market.

3)  What's the point in Toynami and Harmony Gold doing them unless there's a Region 1 DVD of DYRL to support?

-K

I've always thought that if Toynami and HG were smart they would release toys that would coincide with Yamato's. Instead of competing, they can fill the gaps and make the money that Yamato isn't. And they would be unintentionally giving Yamato the finger. They should make the 1/60 Glaug and Regult along with some action figures. There's no way collectors can resist those if they were out in the market. I'd get those for 79.99 a pop if the quality was good...

Edited by >EXO<

I've always thought that if Toynami and HG were smart they would release toys that would coincide with Yamato's. Instead of competing, they can fill the gaps and make the money that Yamato isn't. And they would be unintentionally giving Yamato the finger. They should make the 1/60 Glaug and Regult along with some action figures. There's no way collectors can resist those if they were out in the market. I'd get those for 79.99 a pop if the quality was good...

That is sort of an unheard of business practice though... think about it. That would be like Chevy making a car that goes with a Ford Truck so they look good together in your driveway. Basic Business Greed 101 points to one tactic-> there is no one but us to get your product from. By even remotely giving Yamato any recoginition or foothold would be self-destructive to HG. That would be like someone who makes really expensive crappy toys letting the uneducated masses know about some really nicely made toys that are just a wee bit more expensive... even stupid people would rush to spend a few bucks more to get a much higher quality toy.

I'm thinking HG has other plans up their sleaves... I'll even go so far as to predict that we still don't know what sort of shenanigans are going on and for all we know HG has signed a deal with BW that gives them rights to distribute DYRL merchandise and the movie in R1 areas... who knows, they could also have gotten some under the table deal for Toynami to make all the new macross toys for R1 or possibly to release Yamato toys in their packages in the states (like Matchbox and Revel did in the '80s).

As Alice said: Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.

It would make the most sense for Toynami to release Yamatos under their name...instant toy, no development, just packaging. They could sell them for easy the same cost as their MPC line, and who would really complain. If I were HG and Toynami, I would definitely seek this route.

HG and Toynami releasing Macross stuff with the blessings of BW add up to everyone being happy...or, at least supposedly happy.

It would make the most sense for Toynami to release Yamatos under their name...instant toy, no development, just packaging. They could sell them for easy the same cost as their MPC line, and who would really complain. If I were HG and Toynami, I would definitely seek this route.

HG and Toynami releasing Macross stuff with the blessings of BW add up to everyone being happy...or, at least supposedly happy.

Toynami won't repackage Yamatos

HG would, but Toynami would be shooting themselves in the crotch if they

did this, unless they were going belly-up ofcourse