X-box now 149.99

bandit29

Do I dare to buy a third system? It's hard enough juggling time between the Gamecube and PS2, with an X-Box I think it'll be even tougher. :ph34r:

It's hard to resist with so many exclusives on the X-Box (but hey....the PS2 DID get Splinter Cell). But who can't afford to pass up Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, SC: Pandora's Tomorrow, etc. ;)

Arrrgh! I want to play Shenmue 3.... but not at the cost of buying a new system.

So is Shenmue 3 actually coming out? I liked the first two(I'm still playing the Dreamcast version of the second) but they both bombed.

Maybe Ryo will be replaced with Bill Gates this time around.

"I'm looking for sailors" "Have you seen any sailors"

The Xbox is the ultimate system (after you "enhanced" it). You can play almost all the mame roms (and many other emulators including PS1, SNES, PCE, GBA, etc) and watch all your anime AVI on your big screen!!

The Xbox is the ultimate system (after you "enhanced" it). You can play almost all the mame roms (and many other emulators including PS1, SNES, PCE, GBA, etc) and watch all your anime AVI on your big screen!!

Well, that's great...if you don't have a computer. Still, as a videogame console, it just hasn't appealed to me yet. I would like to play Halo2, but I'm willing to wait until it's available for the PC. Crimson Skies 2 lost my interest the moment I heard it was an arcade style shooter like Rogue Squadron instead of a true flight sim style game like the original.

Might be worth getting once it drops to 99 bucks, though.

Heh, if Microsoft pays me $149.99 to take an X-Box, I might just consider it. :p

The only way I would ever consider buying one is if there was a Japanese Macross game made for the system, that was not available for the PS2.

As all the games I like (Macross., Ace Combat series & Armored Core Series are on the PS2, I think I'll stick with my PS2).

Graham , who bought his SS, PS, DC & PS2 purely for the purpose of playing Macross games :p

I like my PS2 just fine. I hardly play it anyway, as I like my PC better. Anyhoo...

Just an afterthought -- I heard that the X-box wasn't doing too well against the PS2 and was on its way out the door as had happened to the Dreamcast. Any truth to that? Could Microsoft finally have a big stinker on its hands because Sony might have monopolized the gaming industry as far as consoles go?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Not likely, as Microsoft can stay in the game if they wanted to...they certainly have the cash. Although, I wonder if Bill will give up the console fight. The Xbox has some merit, but I don't plan on getting one. I'm happy with my PS2 and GCN. Maybe for $99, I might.

It's only a matter of time before Micorsoft's "Zbox" (XBOX3) hurts Sony's baby. Sony laughed at Micorosft for joining into the video game industry, but they forgot the Microsoft's third time is the charm rule. Just like Apple laughed at them with Windows, then Windows 3.11 came out and they lost a major market. WordPerfect Laughed at them with word processor, then Word 3 came out and the rest was history. Netscape said Explorer was no theat, then version 3 came out, the PC 3D forums laughed at Direct X, then Direct X version 3 came out. The Palm laughed at the pocket PCs, then verion 3 (Pocket 2003) came out. Look at all those that laughed at Microsoft, They were once "Kings" of their markets and Notice that version 3 was the turning point of their dismay.

OK, back on the subject...It's an awesome price for what you get really. You can ludge it around to friends (thoes that don't have a PC) and watch those Macross Zero AVI files and play the old school games without having all your old system out of the garage like the Mcross game on the PC engine or the macross on the Famicom. :blink:

Not likely, as Microsoft can stay in the game if they wanted to...they certainly have the cash. Although, I wonder if Bill will give up the console fight. The Xbox has some merit, but I don't plan on getting one. I'm happy with my PS2 and GCN. Maybe for $99, I might.

Last year Microsoft laid off a lot of Xbox division employees in Japan, a country known for not firing people without good cause unless the company cannot survive. I'll leave the conclusion up to you guys.

X-box is a great console, its only real drawback has been getting more 3rd party developers to put their games on it. But, I think that it's becoming a much smaller issue. The PS 2 has a great library, but it doesn't have many definitive greats on it. What ps 2 games come close to Halo, Ninja Gaiden or Splinter Cell? None come to mind.

Not likely, as Microsoft can stay in the game if they wanted to...they certainly have the cash.  Although, I wonder if Bill will give up the console fight.  The Xbox has some merit, but I don't plan on getting one.  I'm happy with my PS2 and GCN.  Maybe for $99, I might.

Last year Microsoft laid off a lot of Xbox division employees in Japan, a country known for not firing people without good cause unless the company cannot survive. I'll leave the conclusion up to you guys.

True, but overall if MS wanted to, they could stay in this race. We all know the XBox tanks in Japan....I think they sell what, dozens a week now? Personally, I could care less if the Xbox went away...I never bought into Bill's console dream.

Microsoft staying in the race would be the rest of the world, mostly the US.

the only reason i wud every buy an xbox wud be for the ddr and right now at $150 for the console, $8 for a controller adapter, $40 for the game, iuno how much for x-box live, and the x-box liv emonthly fee to dl new board, its not worth it since i have 5 ddr games for ps2

Right on Gunbuster! My modded xbox hasn't seen a game since Splinter Cell over a year ago. Instead, with it's 160 Gig HD it's my perfect chill out in the living room and watch fansubs or the Simpsons (nothing like having 14 seasons at your finger tips) deck. It's got a fair share of old nintendo games and what not on it, but having numerous full series loaded and ready to go on the living room wide screen is where it's at. In a pinch, it's still LAN'ed up to my computer so I can stream videos off of there, but I haven't had the need yet.

Thanks for selling me some awesome hardward at under cost Bill. I almost feel bad for getting my second Xbox set up to run as a Linux server.

Well, that's great...if you don't have a computer. Still, as a videogame console, it just hasn't appealed to me yet. I would like to play Halo2, but I'm willing to wait until it's available for the PC. Crimson Skies 2 lost my interest the moment I heard it was an arcade style shooter like Rogue Squadron instead of a true flight sim style game like the original.

Might be worth getting once it drops to 99 bucks, though.

Er... Crimson skies was an arcade style shooter like Rogue Squadron for the PC. The only flight sim elements in it was stalling out because of a lack of forward thrust, proper airplane controls, some turbulence when you went really fast,

and a ground to crash into. There's no torque, no gyro effect, no wind, no blackouts, no spins etc... Go play IL-2 Sturmkovik Forgotten Battles and play a real flight sim.

As for the X-box... I still don't want one. I've never liked it, and I never will.

I've always been kind of a "more the merrier" person, and I've owned a PS2, Gamecube, and an Xbox more or less since each console launched. And I have to say that, whatever your personal biases are against Microsoft in general, you have to give the Xbox team their dues. I mean, from the get go, they had the hard drive with the features that go along with it, and they set out to make their console the best console hardware on the block. Even though they took a loss on each one, they matched prices with Sony, marketed the Box fairly well, and stayed competetive. Almost every third-party game developed by a non-Japanese developer usually winds up with an Xbox version, and they've had some decent exclusive games, too. True, you do have to pay for Xbox Live... a whopping $50 a YEAR (no monthly cost)... but with the ability to download new content to the hard drive instead of merely playing with/against other players, plus a much more organized set up, I think $50 a year is a fair price. And, the Xbox is the only console that really supports Dolby Digital and progressive scan in-game. I think the only snags Xbox has really hit so far are the original controller (but the Controller S is very sweet), and lack of support in Japan. But lack of Japanese support has always been a problem for American consoles, so for a first-time entry, I think Microsoft did pretty good in getting Tecmo and Sega on board. And in America, where almost half the world's gamers reside, the Xbox is safely number two. From working in retail, Xbox has built up a pretty good reputation with the average consumer (by average, I mean the Madden crowd) and the Sega fans. If Xbox can get more Japanese support (especially in the form of RPGs) and hopefully get EA sports titles on Xbox live, future Microsoft consoles have the potential to stand up to Sony, which is something Nintendo will continue to fail at until they rework their business model. So no, any rumors about the Xbox being done and no new Microsoft console is definately false.

While I'll be the first to admit that I have probably more PS2 games than Xbox games and Cube games combined, Xbox is definately my second console of choice. I haven't cared much for Nintendo's first and second party, so I can see how a Nintendo fan may still go with Cube for second, though. Anyway, I tend to buy games that come out on multiple platforms on the Xbox, for the Dolby Digital and the hard drive, mostly. Also, I think Halo and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic have both been better than anything on the PS2 so far.

My friends got an Xbox, modded the hell out of it, it looks sorta cool. I've considered getting one after the price drop, since it's not affordable.

But I may go with a used system instead like I did with my game cube...its just difficult cause there aren't many games I wanna play on the Xbox...but there are games none the less I'm willing to play...the beauty of renting.