RT: Sentinels/New Generation CG short film

I got these ones saved from a while back. I don't think the Alpha one one is Mikes..

Thanks... Atleast I finally got to see a CG Alpha.

All in all they are classic pics to me...

341105[/snapback]

As they should be... they are great! Thanks again.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Mike's work is fantastic.

It's even more impressive to know that one single man with no studio support (read MONEY), working on his own out of pure love can craft something that looks and flows a million times better than the same subject matter churned out by HG's people.

A credit to MikeRB.

Stunning animation! I'm impressed beyond the ability to be able to properly articulate how cool it is.

Mike's work is fantastic.

It's even more impressive to know that one single man with no studio support (read MONEY), working on his own out of pure love can craft something that looks and flows a million times better than the same subject matter churned out by HG's people.

A credit to MikeRB.

343584[/snapback]

Not to defend HG, but aren't they farming out the cell animation and CG work to the same people responsible for Yukikase or Macross Zero?

Your comment about "pure love" is much more cogent and applicable to the quality issue. Something, anything, done out of passion for the subject or art will always be superior, everything else being somewhat equal, to the "it's a living" attitude so common in the workplace. Besides, HG's efforts are meant to mimic cell animation, albeit unconvincingly thus far from the scant footage available, while MikeRB's definitely falls into the more "real to life" end of the spectrum.

My comment is more to how shoddy HG's work looks compared to Mike's. Granted HG's is still "previs" (even though I buy that less and less as time goes on), comparing apples to apples Mike's previs things are much better.

It's also not just the visual quality, that is only one piece of the puzzle... the way Mike's things move, the way he frames his shots, the overall feel of the animation is superior. Looking at Mike's things I feel I'm looking at a labor of love by an industry professional with years of experience... looking at the HG things I feel like I'm looking at the demo reel of a second year CG student... which I sadly see a lot of.

My comment is more to how shoddy HG's work looks compared to Mike's. Granted HG's is still "previs" (even though I buy that less and less as time goes on), comparing apples to apples Mike's previs things are much better.

Like I said, it's not their work, but the animation studio's. However, they are in control of the content, editing and quality of the product(s) that bear their name; so it's really their own dumb fault if, in the end, they fail to live up even to the reduced expectations they've so rightfully earned (just about everything they've put out from their flagship license has been over promised and under delivered).

It's also not just the visual quality, that is only one piece of the puzzle... the way Mike's things move, the way he frames his shots, the overall feel of the animation is superior. Looking at Mike's things I feel I'm looking at a labor of love by an industry professional with years of experience

Mike's work shows that he has a flair for composition, atmosphere, and flow that is in very short supply in the industry. Usually you have people who excel at one or two aspects of the process; he seems to be talented in most aspects of CG...his work is near flawless.

looking at the HG things I feel like I'm looking at the demo reel of a second year CG student... which I sadly see a lot of.

This comment reminds me of my impression while watching the Hulk movie (what a POS) on TV the other night. I kept thinking to myself that the movie's editing looked like it had been done by first year film students, and not the top ones either. :rolleyes:

Mike's work shows that he has a flair for composition, atmosphere, and flow that is in very short supply in the industry.  Usually you have people who excel at one or two aspects of the process; he seems to be talented in most aspects of CG...his work is near flawless.

343602[/snapback]

I'll certainly second that statement... Keep up the great work Mike!!! I really am eager to see where this project takes you.

Carl

• 4 months later...