XBOX or the PS2

Deadzone

On a side note of sorts, with Rockstar warming up to the XBOX, I don't mind waiting for GTA: San Andreas to appear on the XBOX all enhanced and stuff, just see the GTA: Twin Pack and Manhunt conversions to see that the best comes to he who waits :p .

I played the GTA twinpack on X-Box... and yes, some of the graphics are a bit spruced up... but not different enough for me to wait any longer than I have to for San Andreas.

I'm just glad that Rockstar didn't give the X-Box any extra levels... that wouldn't be fair to the billions who paid full price for the game when it came out.

My old trusted DC works just fine thank you (the recent Border Down and new Psyvarier2 keep me interested in the old girl :) ) ... Right now the only reason I would scoop up a new system is if Treasure were to develop a sequel to Bangai-O useing the duel analog PSX2 controllers (hint, hint)

The DC version of Bangai-O is one of my all time favorite games...it is pure raw gameplay crack and absolutely kick ass in every respect :D

Bangai O! Another one of my faves. The Dreamcast was truly an awesome console...just like the Saturn, it was just shunned by the masses.

Just my IMHO: programmer skill outweighs system power, when it comes to graphics. Look at what happens when Square brings out a new game. It's nearly gauranteed to blow away all previous games on that system and "look like that more powerful system". And then you can have new games that look like they're running off a PSX, or my old 286...

And yeesh--Ace Combat 4 still blows away all other PS2 flight games graphically, despite coming out a LONG time ago (in "game years").

It's all about how you USE the power. (Boy is that a cliche, but it applies)

Answer: PS2

Reason:

Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Monday March 1, 7:55 am ET

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 1, 2004--Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News), is pleased to announce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004.

"In the past couple of years, we have put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure we do everything possible to exceed people's expectations with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," stated Sam Houser, President of Rockstar Games. "Even though we still have eight months to go, we are starting to become very proud of what we have achieved and we can't wait to get the game into players' hands."

Leslie Benzies, President of Rockstar North, stated, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values."

Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.

Answer: PS2

Reason:

Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Monday March 1, 7:55 am ET

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 1, 2004--Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News), is pleased to announce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004.

"In the past couple of years, we have put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure we do everything possible to exceed people's expectations with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," stated Sam Houser, President of Rockstar Games. "Even though we still have eight months to go, we are starting to become very proud of what we have achieved and we can't wait to get the game into players' hands."

Leslie Benzies, President of Rockstar North, stated, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values."

Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3. 

Well I wouldn't exactly say that was a defining reason to buy a PS2 seeing as there are other (certainly better) games on the way for Sony's machine. Not to mention the fact that in this volatile games industry of ours, exclusives rarely stay exclusive for long.

I think i'll give San Andreas six months, tops, before you see it on 'another' system.

I agree totally with WDC in that Killzone is looking amazing, with the exception of some nasty framerate issues which will hopefully be sorted out in time for release. To be honest, it's not actually Killzone i'm looking forward to from that developer as they are also producing a title called Shellshocked: NAM 67' which is a super-visceral, hyper detailed depiction of the nam war which looks simply stunning and could shape up to be a sleeper hit this year.

Edited by wakobi

I switched from a PS2 to the Xbox simply because all the games I wanted to play were either out for it or coming out, and I didn't want to upgrade my PC every two months to play the new hot game.

I got the Xbox mainly for the Star Wars games (PS2 gets shafted when it comes to SW titles)

Well I wouldn't exactly say that was a defining reason to buy a PS2 seeing as there are other (certainly better) games on the way for Sony's machine.  Not to mention the fact that in this volatile games industry of ours, exclusives rarely stay exclusive for long.

I think i'll give San Andreas six months, tops, before you see it on 'another' system.

I agree totally with WDC in that Killzone is looking amazing, with the exception of some nasty framerate issues which will hopefully be sorted out in time for release.  To be honest, it's not actually Killzone i'm looking forward to from that developer as they are also producing a title called Shellshocked: NAM 67' which is a super-visceral, hyper detailed depiction of the nam war which looks simply stunning and could shape up to be a sleeper hit this year.

Hmmm... you may think FPS games are the bomb... many do... but not a one has sold anywhere close to 1.4 million units in 2 days like GTA: Vice City did.

GTA: San Andreas will be HUGE... if the last 2 games were any indication in their recordbreaking sales figures.

Killzone and Nam 67 look like fun FPS... but neither will touch GTA as a cultural video game phenomenon.

Edited by Blaine23

I don't want to hear a peep from PC gamers, who don't even know if games will play on their system until they are actually installed. All PS2 games play on the PS2.

ALL games run on my 733t system. :p

Except when you get one that doesn't like your video card, or your sound card, or doesn't like your CD/DVD drive, and refuses to recognize the disc.

Oh, and did I mention to two years of patching it takes to get the game to play corectly anyways?

I love Halo, but JSA's right... it's better to wait and buy on the PC, if you can only buy one system.

And from the sounds of what you're looking for - I'd say get a PS2.

Besides... why get anything else when this is coming in October...

yeah, it might come out for X-Box... in a year or so. :p

I've heard that the PC port version of Halo sucks compared to the console version....

It sucks if you run it at the higher end resolutions and with all the features turned on... if you turn off all the stuff to have it run like how it looks on the xbox, it works fine.

to be fair, most PC games run in some way on all the computers. PCs and Console gamers can't be compared anyway... very different demographic, with very different game selections.

For the most part all the Xbox games if seen have a good PS2 counterpart, though the same can't be said vice versa.

And if games are what's important to you, the PS2 has the biggest installed base, so it's going to have a massive library, sure there's a lot of crap, but there also a ton of kick-ass games.

As for the PS2 being left out in the cold in terms of Star Wars games, there's a massive online SW game in the works for the PS2.

lol those are weird stats A7 (didn't it have less hp/tq?)... But I still luvs me some Delorean.

Vostok 7

More than that...the Delorean on R is very uncharacteristic compared to the real thing. It actually corners like it's on rails! When I first used it, I managed to overtake every GT1 Class car on the Suzuka circuit without any changes to the car setup.

It looks like a Delorean, but it don't drive like one.

Hmmm... you may think FPS games are the bomb... many do... but not a one has sold anywhere close to 1.4 million units in 2 days like GTA: Vice City did.

GTA: San Andreas will be HUGE... if the last 2 games were any indication in their recordbreaking sales figures.

Killzone and Nam 67 look like fun FPS... but neither will touch GTA as a cultural video game phenomenon.

Oh there's no way anything will even come CLOSE to GTA this year in terms of sales, no way at all. All i'm saying is that GTA isn't the only reason to buy Sony's machine, not only that but EA sells bucketloads of it's game franchises (FIFA, NFS, LOTR etc...) it's just a shame that most of it is watered down casual gamer garbage. An example being the Excellent duo of Beyond Good & Evil and Prince of Persia getting shunted down in price, while EA garbage like NFS and Rising Sun go on to sell a million copies plus.

]

It does use an earlier build of that engine, but with NAM due out after Killzone I hope that they make the neccessary adjustments to get it running up to spec.

It does use an earlier build of that engine, but with NAM due out after Killzone I hope that they make the neccessary adjustments to get it running up to spec.

Oh. I thought Nam '67 comes out before Killzone.

I guess I'm wrong.

I'll just go over in the corner and cry now. :(

:p

Let me state again: Three words-

FRONT

MISSION

The FM series rocks, and FM3 is my favorite mecha-based game ever.

I have a positive feeling that FM4 will rock as hard, if not harder.

Square is giving away FM 4 demos

Square Enix USA announced they will give away free demo copies of its upcoming PS2 war simulation game Front Mission 4. You can register for a free demo here.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

http://www.square-enix-usa.com/seui/index....egisterFM4.html

also Samurai Warriors from Koei has been pushed back from March 23 to May 6 :angry:

So much for my B-day present...

Hehe, looks like I stand corrected on the Nam situation :p

As far as FM:4 goes, is it something I should try considering I haven't played any of the others WDC?

Well, like I said, I love the FM series.

I'd suggest either renting FM3 (if you can find it, and it's a PS1 game, so keep that in mind), or following the link that dejr8bud has posted to get a free demo of FM4 for the PS2.

If you are a true gamer, then get both because I think there are a lot of great games to enjoy on both systems.

My PS2, I get most of the Japanese console games and my Xbox I play a lot of online games and graphically intensive games..

Grand Theft Auto is way over-hyped, IMHO.. it's pretty repetitive..

Some people who prefer PS2, are missing out on Xbox Live games like Rainbow 6, Project Gotham Racing 2, KOTR, Halo, and Ninja Gaiden(awesome game)

People who prefer Xbox only, are missing out on R-Type Final, Macross(import), Jak 2, GT3, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, and Virtual Fighter Evo.

Some people who prefer PS2, are missing out on Xbox Live games like Rainbow 6, Project Gotham Racing 2, KOTR, Halo, and Ninja Gaiden(awesome game)

People who prefer Xbox only, are missing out on R-Type Final, Macross(import), Jak 2, GT3, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, and Virtual Fighter Evo.

No arguments from this corner :D

If you are a true gamer, then get both because I think there are a lot of great games to enjoy on both systems.

My PS2, I get most of the Japanese console games and my Xbox I play a lot of online games and graphically intensive games..

Dude... Grand Theft Auto is repetitive... but you go on to praise Halo?

Halo is without a doubt the most repetitive game I've played since Pong. I love the game... but c'mon... :lol:

Square is giving away FM 4 demos
Square Enix USA announced they will give away free demo copies of its upcoming PS2 war simulation game Front Mission 4. You can register for a free demo here.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

http://www.square-enix-usa.com/seui/index....egisterFM4.html

also Samurai Warriors from Koei has been pushed back from March 23 to May 6 :angry:

So much for my B-day present...

Yeah, I tried to sign up to their site, but the process sucks.

I enter in my registration info, they send me an e-mail with a link to complete registration, I click on the link (or copy directly into a new browser window) and it simply takes me back to their main page.

No confirmed registration. Unable to log in.

:angry:

Dude... Grand Theft Auto is repetitive... but you go on to praise Halo?

Halo is without a doubt the most repetitive game I've played since Pong. I love the game... but c'mon... :lol:

That's pretty much the inherent weakness I've notices with FPS, for me they get old pretty fast. Unless there's stuff to unlock or an online mode, my interest in an FPS tends to nose dive for a couple months after I beat it.

I don't want to hear a peep from PC gamers, who don't even know if games will play on their system until they are actually installed. All PS2 games play on the PS2.

ALL games run on my 733t system. :p

Except when you get one that doesn't like your video card, or your sound card, or doesn't like your CD/DVD drive, and refuses to recognize the disc.

Oh, and did I mention to two years of patching it takes to get the game to play corectly anyways?

You must be running one crappy pc because I play a ton of games and rarely have a problem. True, a pc game might crash now and then or need a patch to perform decently but I think you are exaggerating. For me, that is a fair tradeoff to get better controls and graphics.

My old PC used to have tons of issues with games... but it was just that: old. I was kidding myself that I could play games like Vietcong and Tron 2.0 on my old P3 700 system with a crappy 32 meg graphics card. Crashes everywhere, lag, framerates that would make flash cards look like smooth action...

Since I upgraded my new PC handles everything I throw at it with gusto. Outside of reloading Max Payne 1 and needing to DL a patch I have not had a single issue running any PC game I have bought lately... then again this has come at a steep price. I dumped a few bills (that is thousands to you non spreckenzie my slang) into this system. I think I could launch ICBMs with it and it has that nice government price tag to proove it. People said I could have bought a much cheaper system and gotten basically the same thing but meh, what do I know? I just wanted the home computer version of WOPR... sans dumbass voice that is. Anyway, add to this the fact that a good number of the new PC "mega hit" games are being streamlined for the exsisting market's hardware. Almost every game I see has the nVidia sticker of approval on it or a "runs like a cheeta with a ATI" sticker. Let's face it, unless you have some old soviet sub computer running an off-brand five year old graphics card you should not be having any problems running PC games... unless you have your new uber-system wired all weird...

I think the big point people have against PC gaming, other than the rare "no run" situations is the price tag. A Gamecube is a franklin ($100), a PS2 or X-Box is a Ben-and-a-half ($150) but a top of the line gaming PC can run you 2 to 3 bills ($2K-$3K) easy. Now that the home consoles are offering things like internet, online gaming, hard drives and such the line between a PC and a console is blurring. Unless you need a PC for working at home or school all most people do with them is burn music, look at boobie pictures on the internet and play games... the second the consoles start burning cd's we will have a revolution on our hands.