G Gundam

Recently, after playing Federation Vs. Zeon DX, I decided to start collecting Gundam on DVD. I know I want the UC Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam X. I have no interest in Turn A and simply won't be interested in SEED until it's finished. But what about G Gundam? The Gundam designs in it range from average to corny, and the basic plot sounds pretty corny too. But I thought I heard that it was actually one of the better non-UC Gundams? Could anyone that's seen it let me know if they think it's worth adding to the collection?

If you like Dragon Ball Z, then you'll like G Gundam. Don't expect it to be a typical Gundam show. In fact, to enjoy it you might as well forget that it is a Gundam show. I personally enjoyed it. It doesn't take itself very seriously so don't let inconsistencies bother you when watching it.

G-Gundam is basically DBZ meets Gundam. Yes some of the designs do look a little corny and some just look plain awesome. The entire plot is a little confusing at the beginning but once the story gets going, it makes more sence. Plus it has got some of the hottest Gundam girls in it (besides the ones from SEED)

If you're looking to be entertained and don't mind suspending your basic need for ultra-realistic mecha warfare, give G-Gundam a chance. I used to hate it when it first appeared back in the early 90's... avoided it like a disease. After many years, I reached Gunpla burnout and wondered why all the Gundam shows i watched were so dreary. My brother got hold of G-Gundam on VCD and we gave it a spin. WOW!!! Here's dramatic action! Here's meaningful character interaction. Here's over the top fighting action! Heroic sacrifices, friendship in rivalry, and love triumphing over incredible odds! G-Gundam is GGGGGREAT!

Only the God Gundam looks good. Everything else seems to have been designed in a bathroom or something.

No kidding. Look at this one:

gf13-026nd.jpg

They didn't even bother designing some kind of transformation for it. It's just a Gundam wearing a giant fish costume. In the immortal words of Ms. Krabapple.... "Pretty lame, Milhouse."

Only the God Gundam looks good. Everything else seems to have been designed in a bathroom or something.

No kidding. Look at this one:

They didn't even bother designing some kind of transformation for it. It's just a Gundam wearing a giant fish costume. In the immortal words of Ms. Krabapple.... "Pretty lame, Milhouse."

Yeah.... G GUndam is house of some the lamest mech designs in history. But then again.... Okawara seems to be master of that.

Worst...Gundam...Ever...

Actually, I did kind of like some of the designs. I really find it weird that all of the countries of today will be around in the future and duke it out with Giant Robots (with a Yellow "V" on the forehead and a red chin).

Heh, at least G-Gundam's designs provoke some kind of response out of you guys. They're so outlandish you can compare them to the idea of "weekly monsters" in classic Super Robot shows. I'm a real-robot fan and I'd rather be surprised and entertained by a great story than be bored to tears by mediocre MS like SEED's latest: Justice, Freedom, Forbidden, Calamity et al. It's very easy to take the piss out of something you haven't tried. G-Gundam was directed by the guy who gave us the Giant Robo OVA. Betcha most UC fans won't care for that either! ;)

Heh, at least G-Gundam's designs provoke some kind of response out of you guys. They're so outlandish you can compare them to the idea of "weekly monsters" in classic Super Robot shows. I'm a real-robot fan and I'd rather be surprised and entertained by a great story than be bored to tears by mediocre MS like SEED's latest: Justice, Freedom, Forbidden, Calamity et al. It's very easy to take the piss out of something you haven't tried. G-Gundam was directed by the guy who gave us the Giant Robo OVA. Betcha most UC fans won't care for that either! ;)

G Gundam is 100times better then Wing and Seed.... I will give it that much credit. :p

Nobel (aka Sailor Moon) Gundam cracks me up everytime I see it on screen. The only mobile suits I like is the Master Gundam and Rising Gundam. MAHQ has pix for all the mecha.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/g/index.htm

I guess I just really like the characters.

OMG is that nobel for real?

Hybridchild

Real wild child she is! In the big fight, Nobel goes into berserker mode and whups Shining Gundam.

Nobel (aka Sailor Moon) Gundam cracks me up everytime I see it on screen. The only mobile suits I like is the Master Gundam and Rising Gundam. MAHQ has pix for all the mecha.

Hybridchild

Real wild child she is! In the big fight, Nobel goes into berserker mode and whups Shining Gundam.

You mean God Gundam. Shining got trashed at the island fight vs Master gundam before the big tourny.

Hybridchild

Oh god id hoped that pic was a joke *shudder*

Hybridchild

I say go for Victory Gundam, a very misleading beginning which turns into an excellent show.

I will get Victory Gundam. I intend to get ALL of the UC Gundam stuff. Even G-Saviour... So far, I have the original Gundam TV series, the 08th MS Team, Char's Counter Attack, F-91, and G-Saviour.

As for all the people that are saying "Way better than Wing and Seed!" um, I actually liked Gundam Wing. As for Seed, I'm not even thinking about it until it's 100% complete.

Now for G Gundam... I think I'm going to pass, for now. I prefer real robot shows to super robot shows, and in the end, G Gundam sounds like a super robot show. And the comparisons to DBZ... I hate how some fights in that show go on for several episodes. I may reconsider G Gundam in the future, but I suppose with all the other Gundam stuff I want to collect (not to mention that I still want Marmalade Boy on DVD), I don't really need to think about it now.

Looking at those pictures of the various G-Gundam mecha. Jeez, what the heck was Bandai smoking when they came up with this crap? Tequila Gundam? :ph34r:

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not knock Tequila Gundam. That would be one of the better designs for the shows.

Looking at those pictures of the various G-Gundam mecha. Jeez, what the heck was Bandai smoking when they came up with this crap? Tequila Gundam?  :ph34r:

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not knock Tequila Gundam. That would be one of the better designs for the shows.

And thats pretty sad. :p

That's ok, I liked Wing too (actually finally just picked it up), enjoyed it much better this time after having seen Zeta first. G Gundam isn't by any means bad, it's just..different.

Agreed G Gundam is different. I have friends who really like it and have SD Shining Gundam figures, its just when you say its DBZ meets Gundam to me it makes me shiver. I liked Gundam Wing, but my brother keeps bringing up the "Backstreet Boys" comment about the pilots which he now tried to apply to SEED but he has trouble 'cuz he can't tell the gender of some of the characters. I guess I'm the only one here who likes the Freedom gundam, but I have trouble with things with wings. Oh, and a final note G-Saviour is the worst Gundam of all time followed by Turn-A only because of "white mustache".

Agreed G Gundam is different. I have friends who really like it and have SD Shining Gundam figures, its just when you say its DBZ meets Gundam to me it makes me shiver. I liked Gundam Wing, but my brother keeps bringing up the "Backstreet Boys" comment about the pilots which he now tried to apply to SEED but he has trouble 'cuz he can't tell the gender of some of the characters. I guess I'm the only one here who likes the Freedom gundam, but I have trouble with things with wings. Oh, and a final note G-Saviour is the worst Gundam of all time followed by Turn-A only because of "white mustache".

Turn-A is a great series! Just because the title MS is ugly (I actually sorta like it) doesn't mean the series is bad at all.

Ah, but the white mustache of the Turn-A is suspiciously similar to that of one of the G-W scientists. Coincidence???

Don't listen to people who say G Gundam is just 'DBZ meets Gundam'. At it's core it has a great story about family, betrayal and the evils of technology that doesn't seem apparent when you just look at the fighting or the designs. Same goes for Turn A, which is a fantastic series. I have a real problem when people say they don't like it or rate the overall quality of the series on just the mecha designs. The two don't go hand in hand. Imagine if someone said: "Yeah, that old Macross show is a piece of crap because it has these weird looking chicken-legged Regult things!"

P.S.

I would ask that if you want to link to MAHQ pictures, please don't use img tags to make the picture display in the thread because it wastes my bandwidth. Instead, please make a clickable link to the picture. Thank you.

Edited by ChrisG

The Turn A Gundam is far from ugly. I can name many MSs that are far uglier then it: all Titans MAs, all Seed MSs, most of Axis MAs, just about every Zancare Empire MSs, the Zakus, Goufs, Zeon Aquatic MSs. All those are from successful shows, claiming that you don't want to watch the show because the MS is too ugly is a very poor excuse.