VF-1A laser VS landing gear

Uxi

Has anyone noticed the conflict between a VF-1A's landing gear with it's head laser? So I suppose pilots fully extend their laser down (or turn the head) so they can deploy and retract their landing gear? Discuss. :)

I did a search but wasn't finding anything regardless of how many keyword shuffles I did..

Sure, I've noticed it. I'd expect that the barrel must swing briefly down and then up again as the landing gear deploys. Wouldn't be too difficult to automate.

Either that, or all of our toys/models are inaccurate enough to make this a problem.

Discuss :lol:

It's only a problem with the 1A. The 1J and 1S are fine. But the vast majority of the UN Spacy's VF-1's are the good ol 1A ... :)

I've noticed it a few times (when messing around with the low-viz more than with any of my 1/60 1A's)... but was always too lazy to try a search. :lol:

Maybe the VF-1A Head Lasers have the ability to telescope just before the landing gear is deployed.  :blink:

Actually if memory serves me correctly... as if often doesn't... and I don't recall what eppisode this animation is seen... But I distinctly remember an eppisode where the "head" is actually retracted up-underneath the Valk in fighter mode and is capable of "extending" out. Presumably this is something the toy isn't capable of doing ;)

Also I think the 'A' 1/48's laser barrel looks too long, looks kewl, but still I think its too long. Though I haven't really looked closely at the pics I have seen.

Edited by Southcross

i thought the head laser was by default rear pointing. for anti missle defense

well I remember the laser pointing forward on all the TV shots I have seen where you see the underside of the aircraft. Probably depends on if its an offensive or defensive posture for the pilot.

Maybe the VF-1A Head Lasers have the ability to telescope just before the landing gear is deployed.  :blink:

Actually if memory serves me correctly... as if often doesn't... and I don't recall what eppisode this animation is seen... But I distinctly remember an eppisode where the "head" is actually retracted up-underneath the Valk in fighter mode and is capable of "extending" out. Presumably this is something the toy isn't capable of doing ;)

Also I think the 'A' 1/48's laser barrel looks too long, looks kewl, but still I think its too long. Though I haven't really looked closely at the pics I have seen.

You are refering to the episode where the big battle with the Bodolza fleet happens. Hikaru "extends" the head of the 1S to make a whole in the bunker wall. :)

You are refering to the episode where the big battle with the Bodolza fleet happens. Hikaru "extends" the head of the 1S to make a whole in the bunker wall. :)

BINGO! now I remember ;) thanks for refreshing my memory

I'll have to look in my perfect memory and design works again, but I thought the VF-1A head laser angled down to let the landing gear do its thing.

I'll have to double check, but that's what I remember.

Vostok 7

I think it's in either Perfect Memory, the GOld Book, or Design Works (sure its this one) has a diagram showing that the head laser drops briefly during landing gear cycling. Also all the line art confirms a longer head laser then is shown on the Toynami's/Bandais's etc... So far Yamato is the only one to get that right.

Max's VF-1S in DYRL extends the head during fighter mode and turns taking a shot with the lasers at Miria's Q-rau.

I tried to get my VF-1A to do that, but it didn't work. :p

Actually if memory serves me correctly... as if often doesn't... and I don't recall what eppisode this animation is seen...  But I distinctly remember an eppisode where the "head" is actually retracted up-underneath the Valk in fighter mode and is capable of "extending" out.  Presumably this is something the toy isn't capable of doing ;) 

Also I think the 'A' 1/48's laser barrel looks too long, looks kewl, but still I think its too long.  Though I haven't really looked closely at the pics I have seen.

Max's VF-1S in DYRL extends the head during fighter mode and turns taking a shot with the lasers at Miria's Q-rau.

I tried to get my VF-1A to do that, but it didn't work. :p

Hey another one I remember... good I'm not entirely insane :wacko:

I think it's in either Perfect Memory, the GOld Book, or Design Works (sure its this one) has a diagram showing that the head laser drops briefly during landing gear cycling. Also all the line art confirms a longer head laser then is shown on the Toynami's/Bandais's etc... So far Yamato is the only one to get that right.

IIRC, Kawamori himself OK'd the 1/48 sculpt so the 'long' laser barrel is probably correct on the Yamato.