OPPSY!^^

CaptRico

I finally got it done!

Now, before anyone says anything, sorry to put this in a new thread, I just want to get a freash start on this one, that's all.

The original sketch is Copyrighted to ALBERT.

This CGI version is Copyrighted to Me.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

** GIVE ALBERT FULL CREDIT FOR THE ORIGINAL!! **

Thank you, and enjoy!^^

post-5-1077416449_thumb.jpg

Here's something I'm adding as an extra - it's a sketch of a VF-2SS I did in class today:

NOTE: It looks funny because I scanned it in 4 pieces - it was on 14" by 17" paper.

Enjoy!^^

AND PLEASE COMMENT on the Misa pic, PLEASE?????

I need comformation! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

post-5-1077436438_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptRico

Yes I do - even the MISA pic has the copyright notices to both ME and ALBERT.

Do you understand what a copyright is?

COPYRIGHT FEES

It can be up to a total of $500 for just one piece of work, not to mention if you publish it.

Just saying you have a copyright on something doesn't mean that it is actually copyrighted.

And if you really are going down and filing for everything I really envy...you must be really rich.

Rob

I am not rich. I'm copyrighting so that no one else can steal this from Albert and me. The original is Albert's, and this CGI version in mine. I just put the copyrights on so that no one can steal. That's all.

Sorry if I'm screwing up on that.

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong.

I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Technically, you can't copyright the picture, at least in the legal sense. Misa isn't owned by Albert or You. She's owned by... somebody else (Big West I think). But it's good that you're letting people know who originally did the picture.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Misa's great, and while the proportions on the VF-2SS is a tad... Unusual, it's stylized and looks great!

Edited by VF-19

The pictures look great. Very nice work, both of you.

Copyright is pretty much automatic, anymore. You make the work, it's copyright to you. All registering the copyright does, is give you legal records of when you officialy claimed completion of the work. Posting it to hte internet gives you a lot of witnesses as to when your work first appeared. There are also server logs as to when it was uploaded.

Still, what was said earlier holds. You can't claim any form of copyright on the characters you've used, because they already belong to someone else. You didn't create them. I believe (believe as in "not sure") each drawing as a whole can still be copyrighted, even the characters protrayed in them don't belong to you.

What Greyryder said. Only thing I would add is that registering copyright not only gives you a legal record (and presumption of ownership in case of disputes), but if I'm not mistaken it enables you to collect a greater penalty from infringers. Also, while you don't have to do anything to copyright your own original work, putting a notice on it at least provides evidence that it's yours.

It's an interesting question what sort of standing someone would have if someone else copied their unauthorized fan art or fanfiction based on copyrighted works. My guess is it's somewhere between "almost none" and "absolutely none".

Anyway, both pictures are pretty cool, but I don't like how Misa's left boob is drawn...

Keep up the good work! I hope one day I'll have the skills and the cojones to put up something I've drawn.

Nice and clean work CaptRico. But the outlines are still too dark and thick imo. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a matter of one's preference or the style applied.

Since this came up... As far as "copyright ownership" for this piece of CGI coloring work you did, both you and Albert own this artwork piece (even though you did all the coloring work), because it is totally based off his original sketch - Which means, if you intend for it to be used for business/money making, even if you have Big West or Studio Nue's permission; you still need Albert's consent.

I'm not making any money off this.

The CGI version is by Me.

The Sketch by Albert.

The Character is Copyrighted to BigWest.

Do you guys think I should have added "MISA copyrighted to BIGWEST"?

If that's the case, I can do that.^^

But anyways -- back to my point:

As I'm saying, I'm not doing this as a money maker - it's just for fun, a hobbie. I just like to draw.

The copyrights on my images are just to show who did the drawing itself, and also to make sure no one steals the pic from us without permission. That's all. I know, I could have just put "Original Sketch by ALBERT, 02" and "CGI by CAPT. RICO SAKARA, 04," instead of "Copyrighted," but what would happen if someone here steals my drawing? That's why I put the "copyright" down, so that the two fanarts themselves belong to Albert and Me.

I think I should add "Character Copyrighted to BigWest," that must be the problem... Is that correct?

While we're on the subject:

Personally, every time I post an image or talk here, I feel as if I'm being ignored or being put on trial for a crime.

What did I do wrong?

The only crime I've commited of is posting my artwork, with just simple copyright stating who did the drawing and the original sketch(namely Albert and Myself). What do I have to do to not get judge like this? What do I have to do to please you guys? :crying: :(

Do any of you guys know how that feels?

I feel like "internet public enemy #1" here. :(

Listen, are you guys saying that I should just put just my NAME, and "Original Sketch by ALBERT"?

If that is truly the case, I'll do it. But still, this is Albert's Sketch, and My CGI. Therefore, I should leave the copyright there, but if you feel that that's wrong, or I'm forgeting "Character Copyright to BigWest," then I'll change that ASAP.

But for the love of god and all that is holy and sane, PLEASE just give my a break. I'm trying my best not to screw up. I'm trying to please you without hurting anyone, I SWEAR! :crying:

I'm trying my best to please you guys. :crying: :(

(sign) What the use, I'll never able understand or please anyone here. I'm betting I'm not welcome here anymore, right? :leaves:

Edited by CaptRico

Yes I do - even the MISA pic has the copyright notices to both ME and ALBERT.

Do you understand what a copyright is?

COPYRIGHT FEES

It can be up to a total of $500 for just one piece of work, not to mention if you publish it.

Just saying you have a copyright on something doesn't mean that it is actually copyrighted.

And if you really are going down and filing for everything I really envy...you must be really rich.

Rob

Actually, those fees and applications are simply for non-contestable government recognition of your copyright. But by simply creating something, you legally have a copyright to it.

There are many ways of doing the "poor man's copyright", including mailing a copy of the item to yourself and not opening it (hence, the USPS will have the date on it) or simply just putting the old © on it. I used to do it all of the time for my daily comic back in Madison and I still do it for most of my works.

Paying the fees and everything just gives a stronger case if someone tries to call you on your copyright, but a copyright is automatically granted once you create a work, even if you choose not to further solidify it by submitting a copy into government records.

The copyrights on my images are just to show who did the drawing itself, and also to make sure no one steals the pic from us without permission.

If you just want to let people know who did the sketch, then just put credits in the picture. It really irks me when people use the word "Copyright" on a piece of work he or she has done without knowing what it really is all about.

It's a mistake at best. At worst, it's perjury by saying you have copyrights to something you don't really have.

It's quite a stretch, I know, but I love big fancy words.

And by the way, please don't overreact to stuff. It makes you a drama queen, and believe me, it's not as cool as it sounds.

Edited by Stamen0083

Forgot to finish- Now, does CaptRico really need to post the copyright info in such big letters, including stating "all rights reserved", when doing so clearly mars an otherwise perfectly fine image?

That's left up to the viewer. But for my tastes, I'd recommend keping it small and not as intrusive.

Hey, Capt. Rico, don't sweat it! People are picking nits over the copyright issue, nobody has anything against you.

Yeah? Tell that to everyone else... :crying:

Look, I understand. I just put the coypright down for the fanart itself, not the character.

I just put copyrights down to show who did the drawing, which was just Albert and Me.

I don't own Misa/Lisa, I know Bigwest does, and I know they have full crdit and copyright to them.

Believe me, I'm not trying to steal or hurt anyone, please, understand that, PLEASE? :praying:

... But I guess it doesn't matter, everytime I come here, trouble soon follows...

I'm sorry if I said and did anything wrong considering this whole thing.

And sorry if I did anything wrong in the image.

All I wanted to do was impress everyone and do the right thing.

That is all I wanted to do.

Whoa CaptRico, you got to relax man. Your artwork is fine. Keep up the good work. The discussion bled into copyright because it was brought up - there is no harm intended too. As for marking your artwork, you can do it however you please. But listen to the white drew carey too,

But for my tastes, I'd recommend keping it small and not as intrusive.

He's giving good advice.

Making fanart is to be enjoyed, not get more stressed up. Take it easy ok?

Anyway, both pictures are pretty cool, but I don't like how Misa's left boob is drawn...

I think Albert did the same on his, I think. Besides, I tranced over his lineart almost exact. However, I could have gotten it wrong. I'm not sure since they both look indentical:

post-5-1077644123_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptRico

Yours looks the same. The problem with Albert's pencil is that it looks like her entire breast is "outside" of her arm, instead of pressed under it. The shading and the darkening of the lines in your version makes it stand out more. I think it can be fixed somewhat by removing part of the countour line like this:

post-5-1077654063.jpg

Edited by ewilen

whoa, where did all the detail go? I forgot the original looked so good.

Surely you can incorperate more of the original's depth and detail...

I tried doing the shading and highlights my own way, but also tried making it like Albert's.

At least I've tried.

I mean look at all the extra debris and stuff, that's the detail I'm talking about. Makes it look more real, less cartoony.

Oh! Well, I decided not to put the rest, since I wanted to get to coloring it right away.

Sorry about that. ^^;

One of the things I use to do to show copyright was sealing what I did into an envelope and send it to myself and NEVER open it. If something should come up with someone claiming something you did was really theres, take them to court with fees and prove to them by handing them the letter, and if they open it I think it'll than be documented that it is infact YOURS and everytime that happens, it'll be documented that a court HAS seen it and said it's original or what not...I got alot of songs and such sealed.

• 3 weeks later...
One of the things I use to do to show copyright was sealing what I did into an envelope and send it to myself and NEVER open it. If something should come up with someone claiming something you did was really theres, take them to court with fees and prove to them by handing them the letter, and if they open it I think it'll than be documented that it is infact YOURS and everytime that happens, it'll be documented that a court HAS seen it and said it's original or what not...I got alot of songs and such sealed.

Yeah. I said that a long time ago, look up.

:p