Orguss almost RT?

Boxer

Since there is no pinned RT FAQ, and since I won't risk my life on the RT boards, might as well ask this here.

There's an Ebay bid at the moment on an Orguss cell that has in it's caption:

"...Orguss, which almost became the fourth part of Robotech!..."

Is this true?

I know two of the Super Dimensional series were absorbed (Macross, obviously, and Southern Cross) but was Orguss almost made to be part of RT? (And of so, do you think it would have been popular?)

Actually if used, Orguss would have been the THIRD section of Robotech.

It's been rumored that Tatsunoko offered it and HG had an option on it when they needed to expand out Macross to meet the 65 episodes requirements, but they chose instead to use a show that HG bought before Macek came along about this show he liked called Macross.... Genesis Climber Mospeada.

Cyc

Yep, Revell made Robotech-brand Orguss models and HG considered using Orguss footage to make up Carl Macek's [sarcasm]vision[/sarcasm] of Robotech.

As we all know, they decided to use Southern Cross, Mospeada and a little show called Macross instead. Of course, they later abused Megazone 23 to make their awful Robotech movie.

I'm sure there's more dirt and rumor, but them's the basic.

To find out more, there's a pretty good FAQ on the basics of Robotech and where it came from here.

Revell had the Robotech line out before the the Robotech TV series was made...course besides the Macross and Orguss kits, Revell's initial Robotech line also included Dougram kits as well...

the original plan HG had with Macross was to release it as is on VHS tape...You can find advertisements in old (pre 1985) issues of Starlog showing this...then when HG found out that Revell had the license for the Macross kits...well, the two companies combined thier efforts and Robotech as we know it was born (arguably setting back the clock on importing anime as it is done now, if HG had stuck with the original plan it could be argued that the modern "anime invasion" could have happened sooner rather then later)...previous to this Revell had gotten Marvel to produce a two issue Robotech comic book (which mostly featured the Dougram mecha, and a silly quickly slapped togther story that had nothing to do with the anime...much like thier take on the Shogun Warrior toys from a few years previous)...at the same time this was happening Transformers and Gobots were takeing off in popularity and Monogram scooped up a license for the Mospedea kits before Revell or HG even decided to include the show in with the rest of Robotech...

Orguss was definetely considered at some point (after all it does share the same character designer as Macross and is also a product of Studio Nue) ... But for whatever reason they decided against it

I was thinking the about same thing , the other day i dusted off my VHS orguss tapes,,in one episode, i think the second ep.. Kei?>sp?

reflects back on"his girls" .....then he starts naming them.... oh smack :o he says the deck girls' names...vennessa.... sammy ...

I almost sh@@* t my self..

then he drops the big bomb....Minmae...oh "S", and right there, in all of old animae briliance ...MINMAE...and he sounds like he "KNOWS" them, he's kind of a player..

"not my minmae.!!"..

i even think the bad dudes look more like zentran than the msters thing,

the bronco so close to valk...yeah would have made a better second part to the robotech fiaso thingee.

I would be dead right now if he would have said Misa H. :wub::wacko:

Edited by orguss01

And with the VF-1J kit box in the Glomar you'd think HG would jump at the offer to have their job a whole lot easier.

Meh, they could have said the flowers bloomed and caused the dimensional warping to replace Mospedia with Orguss.

Gotta wonder though if Orguss would have popularity here in the states if it was part of RT...

*Shivers...*

previous to this Revell had gotten Marvel to produce a two issue Robotech comic book

It was DC, not Marvel. :)

Yep, Revell made Robotech-brand Orguss models and HG considered using Orguss footage to make up Carl Macek's [sarcasm]vision[/sarcasm] of Robotech.

As we all know, they decided to use Southern Cross, Mospeada and a little show called Macross instead. Of course, they later abused Megazone 23 to make their awful Robotech movie.

To find out more, there's a pretty good FAQ on the basics of Robotech and where it came from here.

macek was dubbing macross as macross until revell made them clal it robotech. learn your history.

Question is, "how" would they have integrated Orguss? A miss-fold of the magical protoculture tower to an alien world?

This IS hg we're talking about...

no. Hg invested money in macross and the other showes.

they had 2 choices

1: si tont he sereis unitl laws changed and loose alot of money

2: come out with robotech and not go broke

Hell if it was up to most people. they woudl do somthign similar. hg was not some big million dolalr compnay. people need money to live and keep their company alive. consider that.

the treu culprite is the people who amde the 65 ep rule and for evel for forcing roboptech titel.

As we all know, they decided to use Southern Cross, Mospeada and a little show called Macross instead.  Of course, they later abused Megazone 23 to make their awful Robotech movie.

macek was dubbing macross as macross until revell made them clal it robotech. learn your history.

Calling it "Robotech" doesn't make it any less than Carl Macek's goofy-ass vision of melding 3 very different anime series into one barely coherent story. So, when I say "vision" of Robotech, I meant Carl's bad idea, not the name itself.

Revell could have made him call it "Tales of Giant Monkey Balls" and it would still be a bad idea, understand?

And before you tell people to learn their history, learn to spell. Or type. Or whatever it is that makes you say "clal". :rolleyes:

Calling it "Robotech" doesn't make it any less than Carl Macek's goofy-ass vision of melding 3 very different anime series into one barely coherent story.  So, when I say "vision" of Robotech, I meant Carl's bad idea, not the name itself.

whst woudl you have done in his place.

you have jsut invested alto fo money into 3 series which you cnat; air becuase they are too short.

1: sit on them and loose alot of money possibly loos eyrou job. etc.

2: try to salvage wh tyou can and get the sereis out so yoru family and yor money

will nto go homless.

And before you tell people to learn their history, learn to spell.  Or type.  Or whatever it is that makes you say "clal".  :rolleyes:

are you the loosers who tell criples to learn how to walk or blind people how to see. yeah. make fun of my handycap.

The story goes that Harmony Gold was planning on making Orguss into Robotech II. As Harmony Gold did not have a contract with Studio Shinsha Productions in 1984, it's unlikely Orguss was a consideration for the original Robotech broadcast. Whether HG failed to secure the Orguss license, or the episode count (35) was too short, Orguss was thankfully never incorporated into Robotech.

To be honest, a small part of me had hoped that Orguss would've gotten "butchered." At the very least, the show would've gotten more exposure. I mean, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right? :p:lol:

(runs away from the torches and pitchforks)

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Calling it "Robotech" doesn't make it any less than Carl Macek's goofy-ass vision of melding 3 very different anime series into one barely coherent story.  So, when I say "vision" of Robotech, I meant Carl's bad idea, not the name itself.

whst woudl you have done in his place.

you have jsut invested alto fo money into 3 series which you cnat; air becuase they are too short.

1: sit on them and loose alot of money possibly loos eyrou job. etc.

2: try to salvage wh tyou can and get the sereis out so yoru family and yor money

will nto go homless.

And before you tell people to learn their history, learn to spell.  Or type.  Or whatever it is that makes you say "clal".  :rolleyes:

are you the loosers who tell criples to learn how to walk or blind people how to see. yeah. make fun of my handycap.

Good question... I have absolutely no idea what I would have done in Carl's position. But that's not really the issue. The issue was about Robotech, and I am merely voicing my opinion on the cohesiveness of Robotech. I believe it was quite on topic for the thread. Sorry if it offends you, but try not to keep picking at me about it.

First you misunderstood my point, now you are just arguing with me.

It's a big world and we are all entitled to our own opinion of Robotech, amongst other things.

As for your handicap, I wasn't aware that you had any... my sincere apologies on the matter. But if you get snippy, expect others to get snippy back. Nobody here can really "see" anyone else, so I don't know what your handicap may be.

Maybe if you let people know, we would understand why you type as you do. Dig?

Now let's all hug and forget about it. :)

Maybe if you let people know, we would understand why you type as you do. Dig?

Now let's all hug and forget about it. :)

ok. *group hug* freinds. I have slight dyslexia. it annoys me alot I can spell the word in my head and type it as it comes to my head but a few times the letters get scrambled when I type. well it can happen alot of I am tired or dperessed.

Question is, "how" would they have integrated Orguss? A miss-fold of the magical protoculture tower to an alien world?

This IS hg we're talking about...

no. Hg invested money in macross and the other showes.

they had 2 choices

1: si tont he sereis unitl laws changed and loose alot of money

2: come out with robotech and not go broke

Hell if it was up to most people. they woudl do somthign similar. hg was not some big million dolalr compnay. people need money to live and keep their company alive. consider that.

the treu culprite is the people who amde the 65 ep rule and for evel for forcing roboptech titel.

There were no laws involved in keeping Macross & company off-air in unaltered condition.

HG wanted syndication,which requires a longer run to be viable than a normal show that airs once a week on a major network(which was the other option open to them).

They felt that syndicating the programs would bring them more money than licensing them to one network, so they raped them.

Robotech was created so HG could make as much money as they thought was possible.

We'll never know if that was an accurate assessment of the economy, though.

Considering how many viewers were turned off by the Southern Cross portion of RT, perhaps Orguss would have made a better SECOND section.

I realise that you arent poking at Southern Cross.....

However....I will say that many people who gave SC a second look, sometimes years later, found that they liked the show.

I dont see how Orguss would have fared any better as the middle chapter of Robotech. No offense, but many of the Macross fans who claim to be former Robotech fans cared only for The Macross Saga. Very few seemed to have liked all of Robotech. I find that a common theme among alot of so-called Robotech fans as well (who should then just make the leap to being Macross fans). The same idiotic reasonings Ive had to listen to over the years for why SC/TRM sucks....Rick, Lisa and the crew are gone, no SDF-1, no Valkyries, no cool mecha (that one annoys the crap out of me)..... blah fragging blah ad endless nauseum....would have plagued The Orguss Saga (or whatever the hell you wanted to call it) if it had been made into Robotech.

Actually, its kind of embarassing how well the 3 shows fit together as it was.

All 3 had an alien invasion, 3 form transforming mecha, a heavy amount of music as part of the storyline, and some of the aliens defecting to the good guy side. (Mostly TEH SPAZ CHIKS LOLOL!!)

Not really. The U.S. is just as bad, if not worse, with "trend shows," following the same basic trend of popularity and burning it out (current being reality shows.