First build ever… Imai 1/144 Queadlunn-Rau

Papa Rat

Posted (edited)

Hi everybody!

I’m new here and thought I’d show my entry into model building. I had this kit in the garage for decades and ultimately forgot about it until recently. I have zero experience with model building but after digging into this kit I’m hooked.

I loved dealing with all the seam lines, dips and funky misaligned parts. I figure no better way to bust my modeling chops than to build an older kit from my childhood. “Kid of the 80’s”

My build is riddled with errors and ultimately such a great stepping stone to learn from. I opted to use spray cans, enamels, a pin vise, pla plate, chisels, and whatever else I could try out to see what worked, failed, or inspired further exploration.

I did learn that flooding areas with enamel washes for panel lining was a big mistake. Live and learn as parts literally crumbled and had to be rebuilt. lol. I love the hot mess this experience was and look forward to more. I have a bunch of Hasegawa kits on their way. Can’t wait. (=

Anyway, here are a couple pice of the final build complete with finger prints and other sloppy play. 

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

Edited by Papa Rat

Thanks so much. I have lots to learn and can’t wait to tackle some of those larger 1/72 kits. I discovered HLJ recently and have a basic Regult and a few Battroids on their way.! I’m super excited. Working my way up to a Monster and Tomahawk build some day. 🙃

I’m still in the process of getting the fun tools of the trade. Last week I acquired an Iwata Eclipse airbrush and compressor my work had sitting in storage, collecting dust. I look forward to using it soon. I also decided to build a spray booth with an appropriate blower “used Vent Works plans”. I  just need to get the courage to drill a hole for venting out of the garage wall. 

IMG_4622.jpeg

19 hours ago, Papa Rat said:

Hi everybody!

I’m new here and thought I’d show my entry into model building. I had this kit in the garage for decades and ultimately forgot about it until recently. I have zero experience with model building but after digging into this kit I’m hooked.

I loved dealing with all the seam lines, dips and funky misaligned parts. I figure no better way to bust my modeling chops than to build an older kit from my childhood. “Kid of the 80’s”

My build is riddled with errors and ultimately such a great stepping stone to learn from. I opted to use spray cans, enamels, a pin vise, pla plate, chisels, and whatever else I could try out to see what worked, failed, or inspired further exploration.

I did learn that flooding areas with enamel washes for panel lining was a big mistake. Live and learn as parts literally crumbled and had to be rebuilt. lol. I love the hot mess this experience was and look forward to more. I have a bunch of Hasegawa kits on their way. Can’t wait. (=

Anyway, here are a couple pice of the final build complete with finger prints and other sloppy play. 

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

For a first build, you did really great. That’s definitely not a kit that I would recommend to a beginner, but if you’re gonna get into the hobby, you will probably have a much easier time after this one. A modern gundam kit almost builds itself compared to how these ancient kits went together. 
I’m also glad to hear that you’re planning more after this. Some people get really turned off by the amount of work it takes on these older kits. Keep up the good work and maybe soon you’ll do her big sister kit from Hasegawa.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

For a first build, you did really great. That’s definitely not a kit that I would recommend to a beginner, but if you’re gonna get into the hobby, you will probably have a much easier time after this one. A modern gundam kit almost builds itself compared to how these ancient kits went together. 
I’m also glad to hear that you’re planning more after this. Some people get really turned off by the amount of work it takes on these older kits. Keep up the good work and maybe soon you’ll do her big sister kit from Hasegawa.

It sounds like he actually has (gasp) fun modelling!:shok:

It's been so long since I have...

13 minutes ago, Thom said:

It sounds like he actually has (gasp) fun modelling!:shok:

It's been so long since I have...

I still do. There are some stages that aren’t as much fun, like filling seams. But everything else is something that I really enjoy. I love snipping little parts and fitting them together. I love painting the parts and seeing the project nearer to completion. I love putting on decals. I really have fun at the weathering stage, it’s like making a mess on purpose.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Thanks so much. I was nervous sharing it since there are so many amazing builds on this forum. The path to completion was a disaster but a good one. Haha. I’m a sucker for a challenge and will be doing more 80’s kits down the road. “Looking at you Monster”

I just ordered  the big sister kit along with a preorder for the Max version even though I think they are identical. lol 

I imagine the Hasegawa kits are more user friendly?

1 minute ago, Papa Rat said:

Thanks so much. I was nervous sharing it since there are so many amazing builds on this forum. The path to completion was a disaster but a good one. Haha. I’m a sucker for a challenge and will be doing more 80’s kits down the road. “Looking at you Monster”

I just ordered  the big sister kit along with a preorder for the Max version even though I think they are identical. lol 

I imagine the Hasegawa kits are more user friendly?

The Hasegawa Queadluun Rau is far easier than the Imai kit. Better fitting for sure.

Beware, the Monster is a beast that’s not for the faint of heart. Parts have odd fits and some parts feel like they don’t match up. It’s a real monster of a build for such a small scale kit

9 minutes ago, Big s said:

The Hasegawa Queadluun Rau is far easier than the Imai kit. Better fitting for sure.

Beware, the Monster is a beast that’s not for the faint of heart. Parts have odd fits and some parts feel like they don’t match up. It’s a real monster of a build for such a small scale kit

Nice, I look forward to moving into the larger 1/72 scale. I think all the Hasegawa kits I have on order are the same scale.  It will be nice to see them all together.

I can’t wait to dig in. However my model time is rather limited in my life; having a fam and 6 year old but many late nights will see it through. 

Now I'm really intrigued about that monster kit…I guess it’s time to invest in some putty(s)  

4 hours ago, Papa Rat said:

Nice, I look forward to moving into the larger 1/72 scale. I think all the Hasegawa kits I have on order are the same scale.  It will be nice to see them all together.

I can’t wait to dig in. However my model time is rather limited in my life; having a fam and 6 year old but many late nights will see it through. 

Now I'm really intrigued about that monster kit…I guess it’s time to invest in some putty(s)  

Yeah, the Monster eats putty like you wouldn’t believe.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 3:39 PM, Big s said:

Yeah so I went out to get one of the Bandai gundam kits. You were not joking when you said they practically build themselves. lol.

Hope I’m not breaking the rules posting this non Macross kit here. 🙃

I found out we have a rad Japanese bookstore out here that also carries model supplies. They didn’t have any macross but were full of gundam kits, paints and supplies. I went with the $9 entry grade RX-78. I recognize it as the iconic Gundam but went rogue on the color scheme and gave it some love. I also grabbed some water slide numbers/letters and one for the RX-78. Yesterday I found out I got the wrong scale decals but used them anyways. Oh well regardless It was such a chill experience. Complete opposite of the Queadlunn-Rau I can see why it’s so popular. 

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

Edited by Papa Rat

On 5/17/2024 at 8:34 PM, Papa Rat said:

Hi everybody!

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

Nice one! Welcome to MW! I'm looking forward to your ongoing Macross builds. 

6 minutes ago, Papa Rat said:

Yeah so I went out to get one of the Bandai gundam kits. You were not joking when you said they practically build themselves. lol.

I found out we have a rad Japanese bookstore out here that also carries model supplies. They didn’t have any macross but were full of gundam kits, paints and supplies. I went with the $9 entry grade RX-78. I recognize it as the iconic Gundam but went rogue on the color scheme and gave it some love. I also grabbed some water slide numbers/letters and one for the RX-78. Yesterday I found out I got the wrong scale decals but used them anyways. Oh well regardless It was such a chill experience. Complete opposite of the Queadlunn-Rau I can see what it’s so popular. 

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

Lol, ya. I've built a ton of those with my son. Keep on having fun :D

1 minute ago, Bolt said:

Nice one! Welcome to MW! I'm looking forward to your ongoing Macross builds. 

Lol, ya. I've built a ton of those with my son. Keep on having fun :D

That’s exactly what this is. I have a 6 year old and this one was for him. Had to customized it with their first initial and birth age. He’s so pumped!!! He just told me I need to add damage to it so I got to get back to work on this  hahahaha  

I’ll post more Macross once my giant box from HLJ full of Hasegawa kits gets here and I get busy with it. 

Until then happy building everyone. I’m already hooked. Going to need some new glasses. ✌️

3 hours ago, Papa Rat said:

I found out we have a rad Japanese bookstore out here that also carries model supplies. They didn’t have any macross but were full of gundam kits, paints and supplies. I went with the $9 entry grade RX-78. I recognize it as the iconic Gundam but went rogue on the color scheme and gave it some love. I also grabbed some water slide numbers/letters and one for the RX-78. Yesterday I found out I got the wrong scale decals but used them anyways. Oh well regardless It was such a chill experience. Complete opposite of the Queadlunn-Rau I can see why it’s so popular. 

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

I’m kinda glad you started with a rough one first. The old kits ain’t easy, but if you can handle that it must’ve made this gundam go together like a dream.