[R.I.P] Roger Corman

Man, I grew up on his movies. His films were garbage, but wonderful at the same time. Lots of imagination and reused scenes. I loved those films and laughed at the screen so many times with joy at how much fun and flawed they were. So many of those wait I’ve seen that somewhere before moments and I don’t think I’ve caught them all. 

Really hard to rate RC as a director.  Most of his films were pretty bad but he always got the films made on whatever budget was available.  One of the few "working" directors out there is the best way I can think to put it.  And Death Race 2000 is a great movie so there is always that.

13 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Really hard to rate RC as a director.  Most of his films were pretty bad but he always got the films made on whatever budget was available.  One of the few "working" directors out there is the best way I can think to put it.  And Death Race 2000 is a great movie so there is always that.

I don’t know if I could call him a great director or not. He got the job done and had an imagination and pretty much no cash. Even his worst movies are fun and his best movies are laughable, but they’re all entertaining and are great if you got the right group together and some big buckets of popcorn and some drinks.

He’s the kind of guy that could get a biopic that would have genuinely comedic moments and high drama simultaneously with tight budgets short set up times and just putting whatever on screen to get the job done even if it’s something that doesn’t fit in at all while the crew is totally stressing and can’t comprehend the solutions that he came up with at times. There’s gotta be some wild stories of working on those chaotic sets.

The best stuff would be cases like where they need to do a space battle, but have no cash for models and already burnt the budget on the effects while he tries to convince everyone that he can just reuse the battle scene he did from the last movie, then someone complains that they just reused that scene in the last few movies and people are gonna catch on. He then comes up with the genius idea to mirror image the footage so no one will ever find out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • azrael locked this topic