A real Rebels pilot squadron show (with Paul Sun-Hyung Lee FINALLY saying, “Okay, see you!”).

A droid squad series (like I’ve jokingly mentioned way back on another Star Wars thread).

An actual underworld series where the main character is allowed to do “bad” things (though Andor kinda dances on the fringes of that idea).

A comedy show with some stormtroopers (think that silly bit with the two biker scouts that had to hold onto Grogu).

I think the main key for any new series is to step away from the Force for a LONG while.

I still want to see what happens with the characters from Ahsoka and that time period.  But that’s it.

Also, would it kill Disney and Hasbro to coordinate so we don’t have to wait so damn long to get figures in the 3.75” scale?

2 hours ago, Mog said:

A real Rebels pilot squadron show (with Paul Sun-Hyung Lee FINALLY saying, “Okay, see you!”).

I’d love it Mr Kim said that catchphrase every time he shoots an enemy fighter down

So... I just got back from the 25th Anniversary re-release of The Phantom Menace and got to see the promo reel they had for The Acolyte after the film.

The promo reel was...

Spoiler

... a single fight scene between Amandla Stenberg's character Mae and Carrie Ann Moss's Jedi Master Indara set in one of the setting's ubiquitous seedy bars.

The action itself is very well choreographed and flows a lot like something from a wuxia or ninja movie, with lots of close quarters combat that's very heavy on minimalistic dodging and deflection and several moments of wire-fu like physics as characters use the Force to jump and push and freeze things in place.

Mae walks right up to the table, asks for Master Indara, then starts brutally beating the stupid out of everyone else at the table until she gets to the Jedi.  She makes several futile grabs for Indara's lightsaber, Indara calmly brushes off every single attack, and the two wire-fu their way to the building's second floor before Mae pulls a "ninja vanish".

All in all, pretty to look at but not very substantial.

It's not enough to give a real impression of the series proper but it doesn't give me much hope for the show's writing.

Spoiler

I've always found the Jedi and Sith to be the most boring part of Star Wars, as their laser swords and space magic come at the cost of making them unrelatable and/or their loss of agency as characters by dint of being puppets of Fate.  

The fight scene in the teaser definitely has the distinct flavor of two smug supers squaring up... each clearly considering their opponent and all bystanders beneath them.

Spoiler

Indara is perhaps the worse offender there... even when Mae finds her and then immediately starts assaulting everyone at the table with her, she seems almost bored with the whole affair.  She waits for Mae to finish brutalizing the other patrons before stepping in and effortlessly blocks, dodges, and redirects Mae's attacks with the same look of almost bored detachment she had before the fight finally reached her personally.  

Mae, for her part, takes her dear sweet time beating the stupid out of the other patrons in the showiest manner possible to demonstrate how far beneath her they are, and only really seems to take Indara seriously after failing to steal her lightsaber.

You would think

Spoiler

a Jedi would want to protect others, no? 🤦🏻‍♂️

All these franchises need a “Remover of Stupid” to go over these scripts and plots.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The promo reel was...

Reveal hidden contents

Those are the exact same scenes from this week's new trailer ☝️. 🥱

Well choreographed fight scenes will be fun to watch. We'll see about the plot. "Keep it simple , stupid" might be a helpful mantra for some of the writers.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Those are the exact same scenes from this week's new trailer ☝️. 🥱

Yeah, the end of the promo reel was that trailer... So we got that full fight scene, and then we got the trailer that was using the footage piecemeal.

3 hours ago, Mog said:

All these franchises need a “Remover of Stupid” to go over these scripts and plots.

I get the feeling that they have one of those, but that person gets overruled by the “add stupid” person 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Mog said:

9 hours ago, Big s said:

I get the feeling that they have one of those, but that person gets overruled by the “add stupid” person 

The obvious problem with that idea being that "stupid" is a highly subjective value judgement.

A sufficiently skilled spin doctor can make even objectively unsound ideas sound brilliant... and with enough polish, ideas that started out sounding completely imbecilic when they were first proposed can be refined into something genius.  Star Wars itself started out as the latter case.  George Lucas's original concept for it was a complete trashfire, and with a truly gargantuan amount of patient refinement it was turned into one of the most iconic films ever made.

11 hours ago, Bolt said:

Well choreographed fight scenes will be fun to watch. We'll see about the plot. "Keep it simple , stupid" might be a helpful mantra for some of the writers.

Considering that the usual Star Wars story format is either a simplistic "Good vs. Evil" narrative about the eternal conflict between incorruptible pure pureness and baby-eating complete monster villainy or a side story that takes the form of a string of interstellar fetch quests, I'd reckon Star Wars could do with a bit of complexity in its life like what we got in Andor.

Not that I think we'll get that from The Acolyte, since the Jedi and Sith live in a world of moral absolutes and the Dark Side seems to run on motive decay and encourages jumping off the slippery slope.

FWIW, it'll be damn pretty to look at and the fight choreography is going to be very solid.

Edited by Seto Kaiba