Power scale of your favorite mech from light to heavy weight?

My favorite mech to mimic real world scale are the Macross Plus mechs but I can appreciate the super robot over projected hype machines which has captivated creators and the general audience to imagine wilder power wielding abilities.

My middle of the road mech that combines real world applications and fantasy is Gasaraki.

The outlandish mech powered to infinity and beyond within my standard of believability is Escaflowne.

I’m sure that the forums have a breadth of knowledge when it comes to this subject matter, what is yours?

From "Gundam", at the lower end of the scale - The Gundam Mk. II. Always liked that design, especially in Titans blue. Power wise, at least as far as Gundams go, its kind of the kid that gets hassled for its lunch money.

In the middle - the RX-93 Nu-Gundam. Again, always liked the design which reminds me of a Police car and means Constable Amuro is about to lay down the law on that rascally ruffian Char. Its kind of in the middle power wise, able to push asteroids out of orbit with the help of TM Network!

And at the top end of the "Gundam" power scale - the Turn-A Turn, Turn-A Turn, TURN-AAAAAAAAAAAAA... Gundam. (ahem) Not only capable of destroying the whole of human civilisation as we know it, but its also the only "Gundam" with a power no other "Gundam" has - the POWER OF 'TACHE. 😄 (1)

(1) Okay, yes, theres probably one from "G-Gundam" or something that has one but we all know that doesn't count. 😉

Edited by F-ZeroOne

1 hour ago, F-ZeroOne said:

From "Gundam", at the lower end of the scale - The Gundam Mk. II. Always liked that design, especially in Titans blue. Power wise, at least as far as Gundams go, its kind of the kid that gets hassled for its lunch money.

In the middle - the RX-93 Nu-Gundam. Again, always liked the design which reminds me of a Police car and means Constable Amuro is about to lay down the law on that rascally ruffian Char. Its kind of in the middle power wise, able to push asteroids out of orbit with the help of TM Network!

And at the top end of the "Gundam" power scale - the Turn-A Turn, Turn-A Turn, TURN-AAAAAAAAAAAAA... Gundam. (ahem) Not only capable of destroying the whole of human civilisation as we know it, but its also the only "Gundam" with a power no other "Gundam" has - the POWER OF 'TACHE. 😄 (1)

(1) Okay, yes, theres probably one from "G-Gundam" or something that has one but we all know that doesn't count. 😉

I might have to watch Turn A GUNDAM after all it’s design is owed to the Blade Runner conceptual artist Syd Mead!

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

My faves tend to be on the low side of the power scale like the AV-98 Ingram from Patlabor, the Zenith Wanzer from Front Mission, and Garlands from Megazone 23. 

I personally love the slightly more realistic and smaller ones like the mecha from Front Missions Megazone 23 and Votoms.  I kinda feel that if military mecha were to actually exist, it would be much smaller than a Mobile Suit from Gundam.

I also tend to be a fan of power armor, like the Nue design for Starship Troopers or Ma K. But I do like when something seems a bit justified like Macross to be able to kick a giant in the nuts

I don’t hate the fantasy stuff though, but I do like the ones that feel a bit more real personally 

22 hours ago, graphic revolt said:

I might have to watch Turn A GUNDAM after all it’s design is owed to the Blade Runner conceptual artist Syd Mead!

Its definitely worth it - its arguably Tominos masterpiece (I am a tiny bit biased, as its my favourite "Gundam" series). You do have to put up with Tominos trademark quirks (the guy just cannot bear to have his characters sit still) and one of the story elements relies on a huge coincidence, but if you treat it like a pulp Sci-Fi series where unlikely things happen all the time, you should be fine. Did I mention Yoko Kanno did the music? 😄

Regards other mecha: low end, the AV-98 Ingram. A design so good it still looks like something that could be made ten years from now.

Middle ground: The Big Dai-X from "X-Bomber/Star Fleet". Purely for childhood nostalgia reasons. Perfect for punching cyborg villains through the face! Send a message out across the skyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

High end: The ID-E-OOOOOOOOON! Now, exactly how powerful the Ideon is is a matter for debate; in the show itself you probably don't want to be standing on any planet it happens to be near, but depending on who you believe it may just be the most powerful mecha ever...

11 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Its definitely worth it - its arguably Tominos masterpiece (I am a tiny bit biased, as its my favourite "Gundam" series). You do have to put up with Tominos trademark quirks (the guy just cannot bear to have his characters sit still) and one of the story elements relies on a huge coincidence, but if you treat it like a pulp Sci-Fi series where unlikely things happen all the time, you should be fine. Did I mention Yoko Kanno did the music? 😄

Regards other mecha: low end, the AV-98 Ingram. A design so good it still looks like something that could be made ten years from now.

Middle ground: The Big Dai-X from "X-Bomber/Star Fleet". Purely for childhood nostalgia reasons. Perfect for punching cyborg villains through the face! Send a message out across the skyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

High end: The ID-E-OOOOOOOOON! Now, exactly how powerful the Ideon is is a matter for debate; in the show itself you probably don't want to be standing on any planet it happens to be near, but depending on who you believe it may just be the most powerful mecha ever...

Ideon = tragic and brutal mass slayings via infinite power, conveniently contained in one mech.

Seriously.... it sliced a planet in half:

Edited by pengbuzz

On 2/7/2024 at 12:36 PM, pengbuzz said:

Ideon = tragic and brutal mass slayings via infinite power, conveniently contained in one mech.

Seriously.... it sliced a planet in half:

Wow! At least the peeps on that planet has the excuse to space travel to visit their families on the other wrecked planetoid. It seems the all anime had been done by one studio or perhaps to one sound engineer or foley artist who was responsible for all the sound effects of that era? I don't know any other Japanese Super Robot could eat a planet though. 

Edited by graphic revolt

I suspect its probably because of the use of common "sound libraries", pre-recorded clips that could be used to avoid having to go out and, say, strike a microphone against a power pylon every time (at least part of the where the sound of the AT-ATs in "Star Wars" comes from). Theres an episode of, IIRC, 80s anime rom-com classic "Kimagure Orange Road" [1] where the TARDIS of all things can be heard briefly.

[1] I may be remembering the series wrong, but I have seen the clip from whichever anime its from and it is definitely the famous sound of a "distressed vacuum cleaner", as others have put it.

Edited by F-ZeroOne