Greg Jein Estate Auction

Legendary Hollywood model builder Greg Jein died last year at the age of 76, and now the huge treasure trove of models and memorabilia he amassed is going to be auctioned off.  I think the headlining piece will be the large scale Red Leader X-Wing model used during the filming of Star Wars' trench run with an opening bid of 400K USD:

lf.jpeg-1.jpg.14535ecd7d7c6583f9e09d4feedf0978.jpg

His collection is astounding from works ranging from Buck Rogers, V, and even Ultraman.  The items are well beyond my pay grade, but I think most of MW would have just as much fun as I did browsing through the listings.

I clicked on the thumbnail for this item, thinking it was a Tribble :D

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

Holy cow... Honestly, I don't even care about the auction, but those photos are freaking fantastic.

Like, seriously, I'm over the moon to get such clear images of one of these models up close, no other source I've ever seen has such a complete set of perspectives and photo coverage of any of the original filming models.

They've also got a Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider up for much smaller amounts, but still way out of my price range. :lol: 

Apparently the Red Leader X-wing was missing for years. No one knew ( Except him?) that it was sitting in a cardboard box deep in his collection. The speculation goes on how Jein acquired it, as he did not work on Star wars . A rare SW artifact has emerged..

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Just a follow up; the X-Wing sold for a little over three million USD :blink:

Not as surprising after reading in this forum what some folk paid for Robotech/Macross/Mospeada collectible toys. To each their own I guess.

That being said I sold my horde of anime & sci-fi items that I collected since the 1980s back in 2020 without earning much money just so I can reclaim space in my house which is worth it and I don't miss my collection at all.