Die-Cast -- DEFINED once and FOR ALL

Skull-1

I'm so sick of hearing everyone refer to "die-cast" this and "die-cast" that all the time. Okay, EVERYTHING is DIE-CAST if you think about it. It can be die-cast metal or die-cast plastic. Everyone refers to "die-cast" and automatically assumes that means metal. It doesn't! The VF-0 may actually be 100% die-cast, it just won't be *cast* in *metal*! It will be *cast* in *plastic*.

Some people refer to plastic as MOLDED. Perhaps that is more accurate, I do not know. Just finish the danged sentence. DIE-CAST *METAL*.

[RANT MODE OFF]

Edited by Skull-1

die-cast, adj : formed by forcing molten metal into a die; "a die-cast seal"

die-cast, verb (-casts, -casting, -cast) [transitive] to shape or form (a metal or plastic object) by introducing molten metal or plastic into a reusable mould, esp. under pressure, by gravity, or by centrifugal force 'die-"casting noun

So you're right, according to one reference. Still, I'll bet you don't have a problem with referring to cars as automobiles. Or do you insist on "automobile carriage"?

On the other hand, I thought the plastic for most toys was injection-molded.

Edited by ewilen

It happens all the time... certain phrases just catches the entire meaning for a small part of it's definition. For example when people say Americans, aren't Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilian, Chileans and almost everyone in the western hemisphere Americans? So if you think about it even Fidel Castro is an American... *shudders*

ADD: Does that mean we can call PVC die-cast?

Edited by >EXO<

Maybe Toynami was confused when they promised "die-cast" in the MPCs.

LOL!!!

Nice rant, Skull-1. But not very enlightening. I'm sure everyone here understands "die-cast", but, as mentioned above, the generic term has become aceepted within the genre/industry as meaning "Die-Cast Metal".

No reason to get your undies up in a bunch about it. Most people use shortened terms and slang when discussing anything within a given field, so why rant about this one?

Cool !!!

I can now say I once die-casted my fist in the forehead of an ex-friend during a fight without people getting confused since it does not refer only to molded metal but could also be applied to anything molded such as bread, muffins, limb prostesis, ice cubes, Mrs Bush's hair, and all sorts of other things.

Thanks for the semantic's class.

:)

Yeah. . . really. Dude, it's just a linguistic convention. If you're getting upset about that. . . you might want to re-examine your life. :)

People consider "die-cast" to mean die-cast metal. Deal with it. You can go around talking about plastic as though it is die-cast if you want. And you might even be technically correct. But nobody will understand you and you'll just be tilting at windmills while being thought a fool.

Jeez. . .

H

yes. but everybody here at macrossworld is entitled to their angry rant opinions, I for one am enraged that valkyries are called valkyries... there is nothing else in the realm of macross that has anything to do with norse mythology or wagner's Ring!

Grrrr, angry!

Gotta say I agree 100% with Hurin. Plus a little note:

It can depend on how you spell it. If you separate the words: "Die-Cast" or "Die Cast" it usually means the process. But it it's one word, it means "zinc alloy". (Except in Britain, where it tends to mean high-lead pewter--which Americans call white metal, unless it has a low lead content whereupon we call it pewter and British call it Britannia metal---hah! ). But used as a compound word it means metal, regardless of where you're from.

Just FYI, the specific alloy used for toys and models is known as zamac, for it is a Zinc Aluminum Metal Alloy Casting. 95% zinc, 4% aluminum, 1% copper, 1% misc.

I did not know this...but then again, guess I didnt' really care. yah, we're all so used to "die-cast" meaning metal...that's what I've always thought it means.

thanks for clearing it up i guess. you just made my life 2% more difficult cuz now I have to distinguish between the two. <_<

This is the funniest thread ever. You guys are so easy to bait! :p

Just kidding. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It was getting on my nerves. I feel better now.............

This is the funniest thread ever. You guys are so easy to bait! :p

Just kidding. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It was getting on my nerves. I feel better now.............

Which is it? Were you baiting or were you ranting because it was on your nerves?

Either way, I don't think anyone around appreciates being "baited" for reactions... had enough of that back in the day.

I think it really does bother you... given your past rantings about the 1/48. <_<

There was no copout....

It was bugging me and I vented.

I'm simply amazed at the response. Turns out to be a very funny thread.

Copout my ass. I don't copout.

Well, one could always use Toybox DX's teminology and call it chogokin or gokin.

However that kinda comes close to breaking my laws of dork english, which requires the removal of almost all Japanese words from any english language sentence when an english one would mean exactly the same thing.

But using chogokin would be acceptable since its 1 word, and die cast metal is 3.

So for my money, die cast or chogokin is fine and dandy when referring to die cast metal toys and or parts of toys that are Japanese in origin. Toys from outside of that silly little island should probably just be referred to as die cast.

There was no copout....

I'm simply amazed at the response. Turns out to be a very funny thread.

Copout my ass. I don't copout.

Which part of the response amazes and/or amuses you?

The part where we all laugh at you and the silliness of your demanding a distinction between die cast metal and die cast plastic... or the part where we just question your sanity? :p

There was no copout....

I'm simply amazed at the response.  Turns out to be a very funny thread.

Copout my ass.  I don't copout.

Which part of the response amazes and/or amuses you?

The part where we all laugh at you and the silliness of your demanding a distinction between die cast metal and die cast plastic... or the part where we just question your sanity? :p

I think he enjoyed "all of the above" :D :D :D :D

....why, we'll never really know.

adj : formed by forcing molten metal into a die; "a die-cast seal"

If you are going to use "die-cast" then you have to explain what it is you are "die-casting" people. It's pretty simple.

I can die-cast a bullet and that's lead or copper or tungsten or uranium or...

You get the idea.

Any way, funny stuff a lot of it. I couldn't help but laugh... :)