Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Excelent work Gammera and mechaninac --- keep it coming

DAT - I like the one on the right B))

Been playing with lighting in preperation for VF-1s -- light is still wrong , it does not bounce of the planet ......and I know vf-1a is atmospheric fighter but ....:D

post-5-1110954058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rodavan

Hey Rod. Still looking great. A tad bit more sharp on the edges than most of your other work but still awesome.

It seems to me that folks dig the beefier looking version ont he right. I'll scrap the other and go with that one.

post-5-1111006052_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

It seems to me that folks dig the beefier looking version ont he right.  I'll scrap the other and go with that one.

It does look better :)

How does it look in fighter mode? Gerwalk? Do the proportions work all around?

Edited by Tarz

Yes, it looks great in all modes IMO. The mods I made only impact the arms, really. The real problem in the end is the thickness of the arms which are constrained by the mode changes. What you get in the end is a beefier look in the arms from a fron view, but from the side, they look thin. You can sort of see it in the shot if you look at the shoulder of the arm farther from the cam.

If you look at some of my older posts showing Gerwalk and Fighter, those modes still look exactly the same.. well.. maybe not in Gerwalk...

:Dat

post-5-1111015210_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Thanks mechaninac , Tarz , there is still lots to do ....

mechaninac - Coming along nicely , are you building your model as a linked assembly or as seprate parts ?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's a Pro Engineer model composed of individual part files put together into separate sub-assemblies (see attached image of chassis sub-asm) that are then combined into a master (my previous post) assembly file. Some of the components are linked to each other so that a change to one part causes any "children" to self update after the whole assembly is regenerated twice. The way I see it, I'm only 35-40% done with the Tomahawk.

post-5-1111507609_thumb.jpg

Edited by mechaninac

ooh nice, pro-e, so if you have access to a cad/cam setup you can actually make that puppy.

There is a method to my madness... :ph34r:;)

You CAD people make amazing stuff... not like my 3D stuff that has collision going on all over the place.

It helps when the program you're using has a "global interfearance" detection function. :)

Edited by mechaninac

mechaninac, do you have the animation module for your version of PRO (we use Wildfire 1 & 2)? While it's not the best, you might be able to coax it into animating your models.

Tarz, I do have wildfire 2.0, but have not yet migrated to it...it's very counter intuitive to anyone who is/was used to the older interface. For the creation of my destroid I'm currently using ver. 2001, as it's the one I'm most comfortable using (the gradient blue background is a dead giveaway).

I didn't realize Wildfire came with a mechanica-like animation module built into it. I currently have the foundation package with advanced surfacing and assembly modules on both the 2001 and Wildfire and wasn't aware of any other goodies included with those setups by PTC. I may try my model in Wildfire just to see what happens; heck, I'm going to switch to it eventually anyway.

For animating this thing, if I decide to do so, I'll export it to Wavefront and clean it up in Lightwave (Solid and Surface modelers always triangulate files in very weird ways). But I have other intentions for my model(s).

mechaninac - I use solid Edge & Rhino , I think Pro-e & Rhino would be great .

I use Rhino to turn solids in to surfaces and visa versa or into polygons very effective and you can export 30 different file formats :p

mechaninac - I use solid Edge & Rhino , I think Pro-e & Rhino would be great .

I use Rhino to turn solids in to surfaces and visa versa or into polygons very effective and you can export 30 different file formats :p

The company's department where I work utilizes AutoCAD for 2D layouts, minor drafting, and record keeping; and Pro/E for all 3D engineering work. Another department also uses Solid Works to accommodate vendors employing that modeler. Our Design department just got a copy of Rhino, but it's too early to see how well it'll work for us since nobody is knowledgeable enough in it to properly use it to anywhere near it's full potential.

Pro/E is my "bread and butter"; it's a very comprehensive (first or second widely available parametric solid/surface modeler) engineering software that will go from surfaces to solids and back again and/or in combination...it also includes sheet metal functionality like many other high-end CAD programs; but it only exports a few widely usable cross-platform formats (IGES, STEP, VRML, OBJ, STL, etc. in 3D and DXF, DWG, etc, in 2D)

Wow, that just keeps getting better and better. The only slight nitpick I have is an odd surface glitch you seem to have on the leg FP (see the attached image); otherwise, this is just about one of the best VF-1 FP CG interpretations I've ever seen.

Bravo!xyxthumbs.gif

post-5-1111676806_thumb.jpg

mechaninac posted on Mar 24 2005, 09:55 AM

Pro/E is my "bread and butter"; it's a very comprehensive (first or second widely available parametric solid/surface modeler) engineering software that will go from surfaces to solids and back again and/or in combination...it also includes sheet metal functionality like many other high-end CAD programs; but it only exports a few widely usable cross-platform formats (IGES, STEP, VRML, OBJ, STL, etc. in 3D and DXF, DWG, etc, in 2D)

PRO/E is great. Other modules that I use, besides the standard and sheetmetal, is Pro Cable (makes routing cables, wires, anything stringy a snap). The only problem with PRO is the same thing that makes it so great; the fact that it is parametric. Importing image planes to model from is something I haven't been able to get it to do (not to mention powerful render or animation tools). That's why I'm learning Maya. Let me tell you, though, to get my parametric left brain to accept non parametric "artistic license" from my right brain has been a challenge :wacko:

Edited by Tarz

PRO/E is great. Other modules that I use, besides the standard and sheetmetal, is Pro Cable (makes routing cables, wires, anything stringy a snap). The only problem with PRO is the same thing that makes it so great; the fact that it is parametric. Importing image planes to model from is something I haven't been able to get it to do (not to mention powerful render or animation tools). That's why I'm learning Maya. Let me tell you, though, to get my parametric left brain to accept non parametric "artistic license" from my right brain has been a challenge :wacko:

Sheetmetal and Pro Cable are built into the Foundation Package IIRC, aren't they? I haven't had many opportunities to use sheetmetal, and I've never had to use "cable". I work mostly (99.5% of the time) with complex organic and often ergonomic designs that are a monumental pain to define parametrically.

As for parking your logic driven mind to step into the world of free form modeling...I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

I'll PM you with a tip for importing an image into Pro/E

Been rewatching the ROBOTECH series.

Roy was a stand up guy in every way. Been working on re-proportioning the model to look better as a valk as well as my Roy textures.

Almost there.

post-5-1111997302_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Excelent work DAT , that model keeps on getting better and better

mechaninac - I have seen that , there is a fillet there that seems to stand out , I wil remove it

Tarz - I have worked with "most" CAD software CADKEY , Autocad , Solid works , CATIA , Matra Datavision , Solid Edge , Ungigraphics , MasterCAM , Mark and a few other and of course Rhino .

I love CAD ... :rolleyes:

Some pics from the weekends work to follow

Edited by Rodavan