Mass CG project ...

Aztek

way 3 go ceil!!!!!! GOLD MINE TY TY TY lol now I can model weapons, see I've seen all the robotech episodes lol... but I don't have any physical models to model from. all I have is pics to work with from thsi forum and stuff...

good stuff :D

oh and tarz or whatever ur name is.... if you're just starting out, you may want to model some smaller projects

everyone's modeling technique is different

and rodovan, when u make those lines in the valks body, do you hard model them? or do you use a bump map and phoitoshop it

can someone make available a perspective wire of part of their valk? might help a bit

Edited by wongster

Low Poly is an art. That's some damned good work. Show us some transformations anyway. Would love to see how it looks as it stands today.

Ok Dat here it is in all of its mis-shappend glory!!

Mech you destriod is looking good.

post-5-1109978312_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me! All you need is to give it a bit more of an A Stance and that sucker will be good to go. Doesn't look like it needs much if any work to me.

:Dat

That destroids' looking good, mechaninac. Since Pro/E is parametric, are you taking measurements from a model or toy?

I'm not new to the 3D world. I started on Truespace in 1997, went to 3D Studio Max, and I use Pro/E at work. I'm just new to Maya and wanted to know if there was a method that has been used more often in modelling the valkyries :)

Gammera: It looks good.

mechamaniac: NICE!

Well, I 'finished' the hand, but then I discover that the fingers should be thinner 'coz the index doesn't fit un the gunpod trigger. :p

post-5-1110116677_thumb.gif

I guess I should have winked, ;) . It is set up to transform but needs some minor proportion changes to look right. Low polys is a must for me (I only have a 900 Mhz machine!!!) Although the valk in the fore ground is more of a medium poly valk(just under 16.5 k polys including rigging and background polys), the valks in the background are lower detailed at about 8 k polys.

Are you serious?

I have a 250MHz until last october!

Ok here we are with a posed batroid, with all the missing parts. The buildings were missing their texture files so they rendered black, but it gives the idea I was going for.

Woz 250 Mhz?!! Wow what prog were you using again?

post-5-1110177597_thumb.jpg

Great work guys :huh:

Wongster - This model is designed to be used as a manucaturing model most of the "lines" is hard modeled , the model gets quite big , so if you want to animate or make nice renders or a game , that is not the way to go !

Not sure what you mean with wire model .....

Gammera and The_WOZ- execllent dudes B))

Tarz - Welcome , join the fun , decide waht your prupose for the model is , then decide what your going to model with :)

Been playing with the pilot , I made 2 versions ....

post-5-1110203395.jpg

That destroids' looking good, mechaninac. Since Pro/E is parametric, are you taking measurements from a model or toy?

I'm using a few models to acquire reference dimensions; namely: 1/100 Bandai Destroid Phalanx, 1/100 Imai Tomahawk, 1/72 Imai Defender (mostly for visual ref.).

And here's a bit of tomahawk love...: B))

post-5-1110221748_thumb.jpg

Hey ROD,

I'd love to be able to use your pilot, my only problem is that your models tend to get HUGE in size, and quite frankly, my machines can't handle the incredible amount of polys your models put out. Got a low poly version of your pilot for me? Truth be told. I had no real intentions of ever doing a pilot, my focus was on the mech originally, but I realize without one, just won't look right.

And so it begins...

I used NURBS and just for the heck of it converted to polygons (cutting into this thing will be easier in polys, I think)....How does it look so far (hope the picture comes through)?

post-5-1110254024_thumb.jpg

Hehe.. well, it's not nearly the same render quality, but I had some fun this weekend with textures.. :) I'll be posting this thing soon, it's finally almost done.. lost a lot of work in a hard drive malfunction, and had to redo most of the textures. :p

post-5-1110256379_thumb.jpg

I was going through some backup disks looking for stuff and ran across my original Valk!!! so here it s next to my FINAL Valk.

I leave it as an insperation to those of you who are starting off and thinking this is damn hard, well obviously I wasn't/(maybe still not) all that good ether.

post-5-1110437181_thumb.jpg

Dude... I soooo hear ya. When i get home tonight I'll do the same and post my old vs my final.. which is more like my 95% to done final. I get much the same feeling between the then as now as you're showing.

On another note,

Guys, I don't own the book but I'd like to get some shots o fthe details on the hands. I've been wanting to remodel the hands for osmetime but I seriosuly do not know how they are supposed to look or anything.

My fav hands of the past were Brian's before he had to remodel em but that is the look I'm going for.

Can you all help me?

Maybe even details of the Hasegawa Batt hands would be great.

Thanks!

Gammera: I was usign Truespace 1.0 and 3.2 back then. Now I'm using TS6

Chronodocidal: WOW!

Rodavan: Nice fast pack.

Tarz: Looking really god. Note that if you plan to make your model transformable, you 'must' separate the nose cone from the cockpit coz that's the 'hip joint'

Well: Modified fingers and rearranged the hierarchy so I can have bette control.

I'm having a hard time trying to pose the gunpod so it does'nt pass thru the arm.

post-5-1110750374_thumb.jpg

And there is a little something for you: the cockpit interior I model for my valk.

It's in TS .cob format and there is some normal direction problems, but nothing too serious.

I hope you find it usefull, at least to canibalize it.

vfcockpit.zip

The Woz, just turn on your Collsion Detection. This will prevent ANY mesh penetration from happening within the scene. However any time you use a plane with a hole made by a boolean you'll have problems. HOH!

Oh and since your a TS'er go and try out Silo. I bought it and it simply fly's when it comes to modelling. It's worth the purchase because you get free version updates until the versions go to the next number(1.9-2.0) and just about everything is customizable!!!

:) glad you all like it.. I hope to be putting it up for download for FS2004 pretty soon, just need to work out the control programming a little more.

Dat... wow.. that's really come a long way. And I thought it looked good the first time. :D

I've got a question about rendering for all you here... what do you all do to make the renders look more photo realistic? I've never really been concerned with it before, since I make models that usually wind up in games, but what kinds of plugins and settings do you use?

Edited by Chronocidal

I have found, though never really successfully achieved, that these things help:

- A floor to make it look like it's in the world

- modelling with no real sharp edges, bevel

- Use area lights for the soft shadows

- use a highlight light for outlining the shadows so they don't get lost in the background

- utilize depth of field in lens control when it makes sense

My two cents

Hey Guys.

I've got two version of the Battroid now and wanted to get your opinions on them.

Specifically, I have remodelled the arms a bit to match mor eof the Hasegawa Battroid model. This basically means thicker pumped arms. It changes the look of the valk quite a bit to me where as the previous version looks more slim and trim, the second looks like a brawler. This in my ever changing attempts to get a valk that looks great in all modes.

Just wanted to see what you guys think about the two versions and which looks more "correct" although that is subjective and based on opinion, I still want to see what people generally prefer, without the use of "ANIME Magic".

Tell ya one thing, this doesn't look much like a 1/60 or 1/48 anymore... almost like a Frankenstein bastard of a bunch of different things.

Thanks!

post-5-1110914611_thumb.jpg