Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Thanks guys

DAT - Mechanical engineer turned IT consultant/contractor. (Selling my skills to highest bidder) :p

If somebody from Hase is reading this ...... :lol:

Brianw76 - Good to hear from u , how's that VF0 doing ?

Edited by Rodavan

Been watchin' this thread for a while, and I've seen some great works. Some of these valks are very realistic, and that SDF-1 was jaw-dropping.

Just a question from one with no 3D art experience... How do you do it? Seriously, what's the first thing you model? How many pieces are made? How long did it take to make your first Valk? Your most recent?

I've been designing schemes for the VF-1J, and recently ((mainly because of this thread)) decided to give it a shot in 3D. If anyone knows of any tutorials or step-by-steps ((I have Gmax and trueSpace 3.2 - the latter I discovered from this thread)) for designing even a non-variable fighter that'd be great.

Hopefully my short attention span won't kick in before someone replies to this ;x I generally only keep up with something for a few weeks before moving on to something else. Seems when I stop learning about the new thing, I lose interest. Don't let me lose interest in Macross! I shall learn forever! Thx.

Ceil - welcome , very difficult answer , every person models differently and it depends on the tools you have.

I use Rhino , Solid Edge and Maxon .......trying to learn Maya and it's taking forever .

I Try and break down the model into basic 3D shapes , I decide which will have the biggest effect on the model and start with that , then start to build around it.

Not sure that helps , but the one thing I know is .... practise , practise , practise and some more practise .

This is a UUM-7 ( Big square , missle box) , took 2 1/2 hours , used Solid Edge to create a parametric model ( dimension driven ) ;)

post-5-1109684643_thumb.jpg

lol heres my rendition of the gunpod... i can't seem to get it historically correct, i'm now modeling off of the version in the macross zero movie... everyone's gunz seem to look slightly different.

lol yay check out my HDRI!!! that sux, but its just there for reflections :blink:

feedback appreciated :p

wongster

post-5-1109691692_thumb.jpg

Edited by wongster

The amount of talent in this thread is just astounding...kudos to everyone. I've been so inspired that I've decided to contribute my own mediocre work to get some comments and constructive criticism. The picture bellow (simple screen grab...not a render) represents about 3 days work. I'm basing it on Bandai's 1/100 scale kit; measuring the model and trying to approximate/match some of the more "curvy" contours in a parametric CAD program is quite tedious, but in the end I'll have something that could be quite accurate to the kit.

One of the things I do not have is a good illustration of the mech showing some of the details not present on the kit and an internal cutaway depicting the internal leg structure. If anyone has anything of the sort, please post or PM me.

post-5-1109694385_thumb.jpg

CEIL:

To this day, the valk is the only thing I have ever really done in my 3D work. I believe the project is going on it's second year now and I can tell ya, from what I had when I started to what I have now is a massive difference. Rod nailed it when he said practice... I must have remodelled everything on the valk over at least 3 times and in some cases more, and even now, am still not happy with many of the pieces. The talent on this thread is what drices me to make it better each time, and even last night, I was refining, remodelling more pieces.

Like Rod said, start with as imple shape, and modify/add/take away from it. And ask the guys on this board when yo uget stuck. Chances are, whatever app you are going to use, there someone here who uses it too and everyone here is totally helpful. Can't find a nicer bunch of guys.

MECHANINAC:

Good stuff. Looks good to me. Keep it going!

RODAVAN:

You're crap always makes me feel like mine is crap... you're really killing my euphoria of completing a piece, thinking I'm good to go, seeing yours and thinking.. damn... back to the drawing board...

WOZ:

Loving the modelled panel lines... looks so good. What modelling technique are you using to get the ines in? God forbid... Booleans?

:Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

Hopefully my short attention span won't kick in before someone replies to this ;x I generally only keep up with something for a few weeks before moving on to something else.

A short attention span. :lol:

Maybe your avatar holds a clue as to why...

This thread rocks B))

mechaninac - excelent , show us more . Don't have info on the Destroid , try AlphaHX

wongster - Not bad , turn the Gunpod so we can see more profile , which back ground are u using for the HDRI ?

DAT - Sorry , I feel the same ,when I see the yours and other people stuff . Your valk has only been redone 3 times , try 5 .... :lol:

Couldnot sleep last night <_< but ....

post-5-1109746526_thumb.jpg

A short attention span. laugh.gif

Maybe your avatar holds a clue as to why...

Heh, actually I've got ADHD so I'm kinda stuck with a short attention span from something other than my ava :p The Leaf actually helps me to focus; without it, I'd be bored with a project within minutes. Art Under the Influence, though, and I can stare at the computer screen and play with Photoshop for hours on end ;)

I must have remodelled everything on the valk over at least 3 times and in some cases more, and even now, am still not happy with many of the pieces.

Heh I heard that. I'm always tweakin' my own little art projects. I think it was Da Vinci that said "Art is never completed, only abandoned."

:Dat: I know, practice makes perfect. I just have trouble starting :o Like when I try to drive a standard... Rocky as hell getting it to move, but once i'm in motion i can shift gears etc cleanly :x

Anyway, this is how I'm thinkin' of breakin' up the pieces. Does it look good to you? ((note, white pieces are their own objects... ran out of colours))

post-5-1109762750_thumb.jpg

HDRI image? just some one I found on my computer a while ago. its real easy you just take a picture of one of those metallic balls. you have to camoflauge the camera tho, and u need 2 tripods

i got a question for rodovan too, how many poly's in that missle u got there. are the bumps textured or actually in the model

lol and btw am I the only one using lightwave around here lol :blink:

Edited by wongster

Thanx everyone.

datterboy: Yes! Booleans, booleans and more booleans... B)) With the help of the automatic backup files that truespace creates... :rolleyes:

Rodavan: That UUM-7 is great! and the super part too!

Ceil: Welcome! :D

DAT - sweet B))

Thanks WOZ

wongster - all three of my models above are , nurbs models (surfaces) , not polys , I will make them poly's before rendering them in Maxon . The idea is 2 later use a 3D printer or CAM to make "real" models from these. U can use polygons , but smoothness is a problem . I will add a example of a old model that the guys here have seen many ,many times :p , but to get that kind of smoothness , the poly count is huge , while a nurbs model is much smaller in size ....

promethuem5 - I think he meant orthographic views or plan views

post-5-1109830759.jpg

Edited by Rodavan

Yeah, think someone can hook me up with some orthographic views of the VF-1J? I have top, bottom, front, back, and side views of a completed fighter mode VF, but it recently occured to me that I've no idea what the wings look like under the body :o Like, pictures of parts of a model maybe? I have no cash ((mom's family may actually sue us soon ;x)), so buying a model - my current small dream - is out of the question. I can Google the hell out of some line art, but not so much luck with "schematics" or w/e :o Any help's appreciated.

Rodavan - Dude, that's not a toy? :o NURBs look cool. Mebbe one day when I'm leet...

The_WOZ - \../, thx

[Edit: Forgot to disable smilies... I'm an IRC fan]

Edited by Ceil

all three of my models above are , nurbs models (surfaces) , not polys

I used to do that, it hurts a lot! And those of you using cad programs I feal your pain. My very first model was made in auto cad r-12 three months and it still looked like crap!

Since were showing off again.....

post-5-1109831841_thumb.jpg

Gammera - great render B)) , I love CAD( Rhino & Solid Edge) ,and with CAD you have far more control , if you combine your model with parametrics , it's a breez .

It would be interesting to know , how long would the UUM-7 have taken to do in Maya , Lightwave or Max ...... <_<

Ceil - Is This what your looking for ?

post-5-1109832762_thumb.jpg

Rodavan - Ooooh those are good. But I found gold to your silver :D Right here on MW too :o

Gammera - Man I love those realistic type shots... Reminds me that the little guy can do stuph those big fancy movie makers can do \../,

A sample:

ys3type_i2.jpg

Beautiful :D

*Saves your pix too... they'll come in handy ;)*

Edited by Ceil

*Waves hand in dismissal*

I haven't the patience for this, I guess... I have a hideous basic outline of the cockpit, chestplate, and a wing, and already I know I'm not going to ever finish it. I just don't know the 3D realm well enough, and I can't teach it to myself for some reason. Guitar and Photoshop; easy. Got both of them down relatively easy. But I just don't know how you people can make such great works in so difficult a field. Props to game makers.

I'll prolly continue making paint schemes on line art, but the 3D world is just too complex. I'd have better luck making a model in clay. Thx for your help, though. I'll continue to keep track of this thread and observe and admire, if you don't mind. I'm afraid I just don't have any talent whatsoever to contribute to this field. The rest of you should most definately continue tho :o I've been much impressed by several of the works displayed here. I envy your talent, all of you. I can even follow tuts to the LETTER and it still comes out a steamin' pile. HF... mebbe the urge to give 3D art a sixth chance will come over me one of these days.

Since were showing off again.....

Is that what we do here?

Seriously though Gammera, that low poly valk is so awesome, thinking I wanna do one just so I have something simple to work with. Does it transform? I notice everyone here does fighters most of the time and rarely see other modes.

What's the deal?

:D

I need a cockpit.. bad... and a pilot for that matter.

post-5-1109965899_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

I guess I should have winked, ;) . It is set up to transform but needs some minor proportion changes to look right. Low polys is a must for me (I only have a 900 Mhz machine!!!) Although the valk in the fore ground is more of a medium poly valk(just under 16.5 k polys including rigging and background polys), the valks in the background are lower detailed at about 8 k polys.

post-5-1109892561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gammera

GAMMERA.

Low Poly is an art. That's some damned good work. Show us some transformations anyway. Would love to see how it looks as it stands today.

I know what you mean by machine limitations. My model is getting to the point where I can barely work effectively without hiding most of the valk. I'm running it on a 1200 machine.

:Dat

Gammera - That cool , low poly's is only a dream :rolleyes: ... I love detail to much.

DAT - Nice , I also want to do other modes for the valk but I am struggeling with thw hands , and have sort of given up , didn't get hat far..... to many other things to model at the moment.

I had a freind make me a body for a pilot in Poser ( Poly's), then build the rest around it , if you want to use the parts of the pilot PM me.

mechaninac - keep going it looking good

post-5-1109923463_thumb.jpg

Let me just say your works are AWESOME! I'm using Maya and am fairly new to 3D modelling with anything that is not Pro/Engineer. What method do you all use for making your Valkyries? Polygons? Nurbs lofted from splines, etc..? I'd like to make my own Valk.

Thanks!