Van Helsing

areaseven

well, Van Helsing rocks, but its Van Helsing, NOT Van Hagar!!

:lol:

That's Van Halen II, Isamu, those were the Roth days, and that was Van Halen, not Van Hagar.

i know duke, i was just making a joke!!

they should have stayed with Diamond Dave!!!

The funniest thing to me is I almost said something about "not Van Hagar" in my original post... it just fits the profile of the "Van Halen Rocks!" mullet dude...

Perhaps because I used to work in a grocery story with him. And his attempt at a mustache.

i saw the preview, looked lame, every single one of his weapons had to have a "opening up" movement. like, he has to take it out of its carrying case, then it mechanically "opens" ie: arms on the crossbow swing out, the 'T' on the crusifix-arang snaps out. all of his weapons in the preview did that. very queer. everyone is high on that "pull out weapon, pause for dramatic effect as weapon readys itself, use weapon, be bad ass" fight sequences these days.

some of the character designs looked neat, but i'm just not a "classic" monster fan... zombies, vampires and wherewolves, OH MY.

• 2 months later...
Well, I'll be checking out Van Helsing today and I'll probably review it later tonight.

A buddy IMd me today and said the reviews were crap... Anyone read anything good about this thing?

I should note that both my GF and Drad IM'ed me with 'Why are you on the sexiest man in Macross list?'

I posted this in the wrong thread...

Poor Eddie Van Halen, wife left him and he got tongue cancer thanks to years of smoking. Will there ever be another VH album?

I don't know if there's gonna be an album but Van Hagar is gonna be on tour... Blaeechhh!

My enthusiasm for this movie has definitely dwindled. While I don't usually trust reviews by critics, even the few that I trust are panning this flick. It's supposedly just big, loud and assaultingly dumb. Or, as Dark Horizons phrased it...

Sommers is like a kid whose just discovered masturbation, he just can't control himself and has to keep doing things bigger, wilder and ultimately dumber - long past the point of reason and madness.

Saw it at a pre-screening yesterday....

It was entertaining, but very, very.......

PG-13 focused.

Corny PG-13 jokes, corny PG-13 acting sometimes (although I don't know if it was meant to poke fun at the traditions of the older movies)

If you are going to go in expecting something like Blade.... don't.

Expect something more along the lines of Mummy, 5th Element....

Poor Eddie Van Halen, wife left him and he got tongue cancer thanks to years of smoking.  Will there ever be another VH album?

I don't know if there's gonna be an album but Van Hagar is gonna be on tour... Blaeechhh!

Hagar rejoined Van Halen? That's news to me. I thought their split was not so amicable.

When I look at those pictures of Josie Moran, all I can think is..."Where did I put my scissors to cut the three strings on that top?"

She is definately "bustin" out! (Pun intended)

And for my next Cliche! Direct from Monty Python..."Bathe her, and bring her to me!"

Larry

Poor Eddie Van Halen, wife left him and he got tongue cancer thanks to years of smoking.  Will there ever be another VH album?

Hagar rejoined Van Halen? That's news to me. I thought their split was not so amicable.

That's what I thought too... they first announced the concert without a singer on board, everyone was sure that it was the great Lee Roth come back. But then it was announced that it was Hagar and there was a collective Meh! among the fans...

(if you check out the dates on Ticketmaster, you'll see a Van Hagar pic.)

I don't really care... I would think Diamond Dave's back would give if he tried his old moves again on stage.

I treated my pet team at work to a movie at lunch today... it was either Van Hellsing or Mean Girls. They picked Van Hellsing.

... I wish they had picked Mean Girls...

I will not call this movie crap as I went into it before reading this thread, my only preconcieved notion of the film came from a review I read in the RFT (local independent newspaper) which raked the film over the coals but said "leave your brain at the door and you should like it". Well, I went in expecting nothing more than an empty popcorn summer FX bonanza and that is what I got. The movie was not good or bad to me, just very very "I've seen all this before". Nothing too new, nothing original really. Not worth the 7 bucks. Perhaps a rental would have been better.

The best part of the movie: my employees and I riffing on the thing in an empty downtown theater and laughing at ourselves. The dialogue and scenes in this movie are soooooo easy to "MST3K".

Well, I rather have a movie like Van helsing than all that piss poor crap that keeps coming and coming like spiderman, hellboy, hulk and Harry Dorker wich in my opinion are not worth a penny, if they could start doing new stuff instead of bringing back all those crappy and stupid comic heroes, even crap like Alien vs Predator! how could they let people do that to the greatest sci-fi terror franchise ever? Ridley Scott and Gigger made something awesome in Alien..now some guy is mixing two completely different characters in one movie... damn! but looks like the movie industry is going downhill, however I guess we kind of need a couple of new good directors, with a good vision IMHO Lord of the rings is a great series of books, the movies however are overrated and badly executed and trully a turd in my list however they got oscars and everything, some burocrats were around I guess. No wonder the only tv I watch is anime....

Later folks and feel free to comment ;)

Edited by macplus

Went to see it, and enjoyed it... The vampire acting was so hammed up and it was like JS said, nothing new... but I still really enjoyed it. Better than the other Kate Beckindale werewolf/vampire movie. And better than Hellboy, and I'm a big fan of that book. I like movies that I can see once and totally enjoy. Probably wouldn't see it again though and it'd be hard to imagine a sequel because they already used up all the monster premises... I don't expect anyone else to like this though... :p

Does anyone else think the movie would have been much better if VH had just had a normal rapier and a flintlock pistol? I myself would have been more impressed by crazy fencing and shooting feats rather than the "Batman-esque" reliance on so many tools and special guns. The movie glorified the tools and not so much the man.

Just came back from this movie. All I can say is I am terribly disappointed. It had great potential, but I think the director just bombed on this one. The only good thing about it is Kate Beckinsale. Although her acting is pretty bad in this one, but I think she looked alot better then she did in UnderWorld. I would only recommend this film if you just want to see a blind action flick with tons of CGs thrown in or you're a big fan of Beckinsale. Otherwise I suggest to just wait for the DVD and rent this one out.

When I look at those pictures of Josie Moran, all I can think is..."Where did I put my scissors to cut the three strings on that top?"

She is definately "bustin" out! (Pun intended)

And for my next Cliche! Direct from Monty Python..."Bathe her, and bring her to me!"

Larry

Man, I thought this was originally from an episode of Beavis & Butthead. Guess Mike Judge was a Monty Python fan.